Is a Urethane Cover the only way to get Max Greenside Spin?

Pigems

I’ve always played cheap balls, I was in the “ball doesn’t matter” camp other than wanting to play the same ball as much as possible for consistency reasons. The past few years it’s been the Wilson 50 Elite, they’re $1 a ball so I’ve used and got used to playing them and was happy to do so having not really played any more expensive balls other than the odd one I find on the course, but being a lefty a don’t find many balls on the course haha. But back in the spring my buddy had bought some used balls from some guy on the side of the road and picked me up 3 dozen used Pro V1s for $3 a dozen, so I decided to give them a try. After playing them since then I’ve come to really like them, especially the greenside spin, I like being able to pitch right at the flag and have the ball one hop and stop. But my stash is coming to an end now and I’ve tried going back to the Wilson 50s and it’s just a non starter, they just don’t spin around the green enough to play the shots I want to play and they’re a few years shorter off the driver. So this brings me to my question, is the Urethane cover on the ProV(or other Urethane balls) the only way to get that greenside spin? Also, do all Urethane balls spin similarly on greenside shots? Or is the ProV the best for these shots? Thanks for the help fellas :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a general sense I'd say yes but it's not always cut and dried. Not all urethane balls spin the same amount and not all surlyn (ionomer) balls spin very little. One of the mags (golf or golf digest - I can't remember) occasionally tests and publishes articles on the spin rates of various balls. I remember one year a while back where I was surprised to see that the Nike Ignite (ionomer) was generating spin rates approaching the lower spinning urethane balls. For non-urethane balls I was fond of the old TM Burner TP LDP generated a very nice level of spin for moderately receptive to receptive greens.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

In a general sense I'd say yes but it's not always cut and dried. Not all urethane balls spin the same amount and not all surlyn (ionomer) balls spin very little. One of the mags (golf or golf digest - I can't remember) occasionally tests and publishes articles on the spin rates of various balls. I remember one year a while back where I was surprised to see that the Nike Ignite (ionomer) was generating spin rates approaching the lower spinning urethane balls. For non-urethane balls I was fond of the old TM Burner TP LDP generated a very nice level of spin for moderately receptive to receptive greens.

Thanks for the info! Which balls would you say generate the most amount of spin from inside 20y? I can spin most balls from 40-60y, even the Wilson 50s but it’s the shorter shots I find where the ball rolls out more then I want, a few feet off the green up to 25/30y kind of shots where you can’t really swing hard enough to make the spin. The ProV seems to spin and check a LOT more than the Wilson on these shots, 10-15’ less roll out at times. Do you pretty much need a Urethane tour ball to get this kind of spin/control?

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I've always played cheap balls, I was in the "ball doesn't matter" camp other than wanting to play the same ball as much as possible for consistency reasons. The past few years it's been the Wilson 50 Elite, they're $1 a ball so I've used and got used to playing them and was happy to do so having not really played any more expensive balls other than the odd one I find on the course, but being a lefty a don't find many balls on the course haha. But back in the spring my buddy had bought some used balls from some guy on the side of the road and picked me up 3 dozen used Pro V1s for $3 a dozen, so I decided to give them a try. After playing them since then I've come to really like them, especially the greenside spin, I like being able to pitch right at the flag and have the ball one hop and stop. But my stash is coming to an end now and I've tried going back to the Wilson 50s and it's just a non starter, they just don't spin around the green enough to play the shots I want to play and they're a few years shorter off the driver. So this brings me to my question, is the Urethane cover on the ProV(or other Urethane balls) the only way to get that greenside spin? Also, do all Urethane balls spin similarly on greenside shots? Or is the ProV the best for these shots? Thanks for the help fellas :)

Urethane will always stop better than surlyn. I recommend the Kirkland (costco) 3 piece ball. Urethane cover, 24 bucks for 2 dozen. Great ball.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

Thanks, I’ve seen that but it doesn’t really give the specific answers I’m after. I can spin most balls from 50y, it’s the 20y and less spin I’m after. :)

I've always played cheap balls, I was in the "ball doesn't matter" camp other than wanting to play the same ball as much as possible for consistency reasons. The past few years it's been the Wilson 50 Elite, they're $1 a ball so I've used and got used to playing them and was happy to do so having not really played any more expensive balls other than the odd one I find on the course, but being a lefty a don't find many balls on the course haha. But back in the spring my buddy had bought some used balls from some guy on the side of the road and picked me up 3 dozen used Pro V1s for $3 a dozen, so I decided to give them a try. After playing them since then I've come to really like them, especially the greenside spin, I like being able to pitch right at the flag and have the ball one hop and stop. But my stash is coming to an end now and I've tried going back to the Wilson 50s and it's just a non starter, they just don't spin around the green enough to play the shots I want to play and they're a few years shorter off the driver. So this brings me to my question, is the Urethane cover on the ProV(or other Urethane balls) the only way to get that greenside spin? Also, do all Urethane balls spin similarly on greenside shots? Or is the ProV the best for these shots? Thanks for the help fellas :)

Urethane will always stop better than surlyn. I recommend the Kirkland (costco) 3 piece ball. Urethane cover, 24 bucks for 2 dozen. Great ball.

Thanks, unfortunately my local(Canadian) Costco doesn’t carry them, I’ve checked a few times. I’ll keep checking though :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Beautiful. Thanks Sui Generis.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Where can you get New ProV1’s for $36 a dozen? They are $69 a dozen here at GolfTown. It looks like I’m gonna have to stick to the used ProV1’s for $2 a ball from eBay for now. Thanks for the help guys :)

Edit: My Bad, $36 and Above.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Years ago they used to make balls with very firm cores under extremely soft Surlyn covers. They would spin like the dickens but unfortunately they’d spin more and more the harder they were hit. High spin from driver, irons, wedges, you name it. They were very poor golf balls but boy did they spin.

Look into Vice balls. Try a sample pack on Amazon.ca. If you like them, the five dozen bulk buy from the US site is a better deal, even with the exchange and shipping from the States.

Snell might be an option, too. Amazon has them as well as Golf Works, but in terms of value, Vice is pretty good. Have a co-worker who plays to a 4 or lower and he stocks up on the Vice Pro. I'm partial to the Pro Soft.

If you get a chance to go down to the States, Top Flite Gamer Urethanes are a ridiculous deal if you buy five dozen at Dick's. Comes out to about $16 a dozen with the exchange. I also had some Cut Blues shipped to my hotel.

In Canada, right now, golf balls are ridiculous in price. The Wilson Duo Urethane might be the best bet if you're stuck buying them in store in terms of price.

Or, get some used ones online. I ordered some Titleist AVX that way.

Where can you get New ProV1’s for $36 a dozen? They are $69 a dozen here at GolfTown. It looks like I’m gonna have to stick to the used ProV1’s for $2 a ball from eBay for now. Thanks for the help guys :)

Edit: My Bad, $36 and Above.

Golf balls direct.

These guys 5A balls look they they just came out of the package. Plenty to choose from at under $20 a dozen.

The 4A balls may have a tiny blemish on them somewhere.

They are retrieved from lakes at high volume courses. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. I Bought from them many times until I got 12 dozen Z Star XV’ on sale for $20 a dozen early this year.

https://www.golfballsdirect.com/used_golf_balls_s/303.htm

There are always deals going on for urethane balls. Vice, Snell and Cut balls are the direct to consumer balls and all of the testing done show that they are pretty close, if not the exact same as the higher priced balls when it comes to spin. I prefer the snell balls personally. If you buy the value pack (6 dozen), it comes out to be about $27 a dozen if I'm not mistaken.

If you keep an eye out, you'll notice there are always some deals going on with Srixon, Bridgestone etc.

I also agree with the golfballsdirect/lostgolfballs.com route. I've done that before and I've never been let down.

I don't see the point in bringing on bad karma by buying balls someone else lost when brand new urethane balls can be found on sale for $20/dozen quite regularly (in the USA anyway). Most all urethane balls spin plenty around the green too so you don't need to overthink the purchase unless you are near scratch and really particular about your ball. I've got a smorgasbord of various urethane balls in my storage cabinet and other than feel, I can't tell much difference in them.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I really wanted some surlyn/ionomer balls to work this year. I was on the hunt for a matte, bright color ball as I really like the visibility. I told myself it didn't matter if it was urethane or surlyn as long as it spun and gripped enough to perform on approach shots and greenside shots. I tried a few brands from TM, Volvik, Wilson, and Cut. On some practice solo rounds, I even compared them side by side with my regular stash of urethane balls - just dropped a few different balls at the same spot, hit the same club, looked at the results.

Sadly, I've not found a surlyn ball that works the way I like on approach and short-game shots. Not enough spin control for my taste. I'm back to urethane (a mix of ProV1, Bridgestone and Srixon - they all work fine.)

If I'm not mistaken (if I am I'm sure it will be corrected) the Bridgestone e6s are surlyn and those run $27-30 per dozen in the states. I've had good luck with them from 50-100yds, but I've never been much of the spin type under 30 yards. I usually pick up my Bridgestone Tour B RX and RXS from Amazon. If you watch they will have them down closer to $30-32 a dozen. US prices.

I have bounced around from Tour B and Chromesoft all year and can't seem to determine which I like better and make my gamer. I do catch myself reaching for the Tour B a little more so maybe that's what I should do.

Pige don't forget fresh grooves on your wedges. Just a reason to ho.

I’ve got a fresh 59* just itching to get into rotation, my current 59* is starting to show signs of wear but it still spins the heck out of a ProV1. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

The original post specifies "max" greenside spin so the answer is yes.

Correct Sir, I can spin just about any ball enough from outside 50y, I’m not looking to zip balls backwards from distance, or at all for that matter. It’s the pitching and chipping spin I want, I’m more reliable/repeatable green side when I can fly the ball to the hole and have it one hop and stop than I am trying to roll one to the hole with a bump and run. The ProV1’s will stop within 5,-10’ of where it hits the ground if I do my part right, where as the Wilson could roll out 20’ or more at times, or sometimes they bite a bit and roll out less. Either way it’s not reliable enough for the shots I’m better at playing. I usually use a delofted 59* for a low spinning pitch, I’ve grown fond of this shot and it works really well when the ball cooperates. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2