The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

Bryson DeChambeau goes 0-3, I suspect he's going to be on a lot of these teams so he's going to need to improve.

I thought Bryson was unlucky. And he showed a lot of guts taking Noren down 18. He can hold his head up.

Unlucky with the putter for sure (Bryson burned a lot of edges), but he hit some real stinker shots both off the tee and into greens during that alternate shot match with Tiger.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bryson DeChambeau goes 0-3, I suspect he's going to be on a lot of these teams so he's going to need to improve.

I thought Bryson was unlucky. And he showed a lot of guts taking Noren down 18. He can hold his head up.

Unlucky with the putter for sure (Bryson burned a lot of edges), but he hit some real stinker shots both off the tee and into greens during that alternate shot match with Tiger.

Yes, well he was unlucky with his pairing too. Nobody seems to shine playing with Tiger.

Got a thought here.. the USA team likes playing golf with each other...the boy band gang and all. But the euro players LOVE beating Americans. They absolutely thrive on that thrill alone.

As much as some may not want to admit it, that is the biggest difference in this event. Everything else adds a little or subtracts a little. I wouldn't be surprised if the EU players collectively over the years feels like the US players don't necessarily respect their game (whether true or not) with the exception of a couple of guys and they take great pleasure in this event.

The fact that only JT showed up during the French Open tells how little Americans respect Europeans or the Ryder cup on EU soil.

It doesn't say anything about how little Americans respect Europeans. Stop grandstanding.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Bad week for the American team, but there were a few silver linings:

• Looks like Justin Thomas is a very talented American in his prime who actually cares about this event, unlike a couple of other very talented Americans in their prime 15+ years ago.
  • Looks like the Thomas/Spieth pairing could be a very good one for a long, long time.
  • Tony Finau really stepped it up. He is one of the guys that drives it "crooked" and yet he played very well this week compared to so many others on the team.
  • Webb Simpson redeemed himself this week. Guess we will see if he can make the team in the future but I don't think anyone will view him as a big weak spot next time if he does make it.

I think the poster PGARox kept going on this year about just wanting young guys on the team. He may be right.

Make Jordan the Captain, have him pick 10 friends and Patrick Reed and there is the US team.

Only problem is I think Jordan's insistence on splitting from Reed helped cause the problems on this team. It caused the breakup of Thomas/Fowler and the breakup of Johnson/Koepka. Reed losing Spieth seemed to kill his mojo and he played like absolute crap in those two matches with Tiger. Then he goes out there today on his own and plays like a boss. Go figure.

I keep reading this but Furyk didn't have to put Fowler with DJ, thereby breaking up DJ and Koepka. A better fit would have been Fowler with Finau. Yeah he broke up two good teams but it doesn't necessarily follow that that should cause the breakup of a third. He should have left DJ/Koepka alone and shopped Fowler around to one of the rookies. Eh, it's all just Monday morning quarterbacking though. I think we were destined to get trashed no matter who was matched with whom.

I agree, Fowler and Finau would have been a good fit. Both nice guys that should be able to fit with anyone on the team. I guess Fowler wanted DJ and Furyk gave him what he wanted. It will be interesting to see how things play out moving forward. They need to figure out something with Reed. He is a lone wolf but he was awesome with Spieth. They need to find someone else that can give him the same mojo. Clearly Tiger wasn't able to do it.

Reed and DeChambeau could have been the team.

Looking forward to seeing Phil tee it up for Team YouEssEh in 2020, aged 50. Redemption beckons.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Yeah, assuming he's going to be making the team for the next ten years or so, Reed is going to need to find a home. It's obvious he rubbed Spieth the wrong way. It was probably Reed autographing Spieth's neck a few months ago that did it. You could tell Jordan was seething about that but didn't want to lose it in front of all those kids. Lol.

I don't think it was that by itself. I think it was other stuff like this:

• Reed tells the media that he was tired of carrying Jordan on his back.
  • Reed tells a rules official that if his name was Spieth, they would have given him a free drop.

The second one in particular is a real cheap shot. Low blow from a supposed friend and partner. But even the first one is not something you do to a partner in the media. Jordan is a 3-time major champ, FedEx Cup champ, and far more accomplished in his career than Reed. It's true that Reed played better than Jordan in those Ryder Cup matches, but maybe Jordan helped motivate him. Jordan moves to another partner and that partner plays lights out.

Yes, well he was unlucky with his pairing too. Nobody seems to shine playing with Tiger.

But he wanted to play with Tiger. So did Reed. Be careful what you wish for, lol

Anyone who wouldn't have picked Tiger for this team is blatantly lying. He stunk it up over the last three days, but he was a no-brainer pick the way he played the last half of this year.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Bad week for the American team, but there were a few silver linings:

• Looks like Justin Thomas is a very talented American in his prime who actually cares about this event, unlike a couple of other very talented Americans in their prime 15+ years ago.
  • Looks like the Thomas/Spieth pairing could be a very good one for a long, long time.
  • Tony Finau really stepped it up. He is one of the guys that drives it "crooked" and yet he played very well this week compared to so many others on the team.
  • Webb Simpson redeemed himself this week. Guess we will see if he can make the team in the future but I don't think anyone will view him as a big weak spot next time if he does make it.

I think the poster PGARox kept going on this year about just wanting young guys on the team. He may be right.

Make Jordan the Captain, have him pick 10 friends and Patrick Reed and there is the US team.

Only problem is I think Jordan's insistence on splitting from Reed helped cause the problems on this team. It caused the breakup of Thomas/Fowler and the breakup of Johnson/Koepka. Reed losing Spieth seemed to kill his mojo and he played like absolute crap in those two matches with Tiger. Then he goes out there today on his own and plays like a boss. Go figure.

The Reed/Spieth breakup was an issue but our loser of a captain decided to break up 2 other good pairings to make up for this.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

congrats to Phil for hitting the winning shot and of course to Europe's best player (again), Tiger Woods

I really like it when WRX inserts US Fan cliche bots into this thread.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I love how the press can't just ask a direct question. Everyone knows the Jordan/Reed story, but they have to ask it in an 'aw shucks' way. Just ask it.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I thought pairings didn't really matter on what was one of the best RC team ever assembled?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Anyone who wouldn't have picked Tiger for this team is blatantly lying. He stunk it up over the last three days, but he was a no-brainer pick the way he played the last half of this year.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20 for sure. He finished 11 in the point standings despite giving the rest of the American players a year head start. If he stays healthy, he will make the next team on points and likely be Top 5 in points. It would be nice if he refuses to play next time and they can give someone else a chance.

i guess the old chestnut excuse will be back again...... they just like beating us better than we like beating them, or our guys dont do team sports, have no interest in team play and only want majors, the euros like the ryder cup cos they dont have any majors (remember that one LOL) that was a good excuse back in the day too

yeah thats an ole fav alrite.... its just hard to explain all those US players tears over the years after defeats, allergies i guess

im betting tiredness will be the No.1 excuse this time

EUROPE!

EUROPE!

EUROPE!

EUROPE!

EUROPE!

Don’t you mean eww-ruuup?

Sorry. Had to

Well deserved win. Congratulations.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I just saw on the TV that eight of the European team came up through the challenge tour. In Poulter's book he describes the busiy of sharing cars, rooms, food, etc because nobody has any money and everyone mucks in together. And it seems to be that the Euro players naturally slip back into that kind of cameraderie when they get together like it's a trip down memory lane for them. They look like they genuinely enjoy each other's company and the whole craic. The Americans don't seem to have that shared experience to fall back on. And it shows in the results on the course.

I just saw on the TV that eight of the European team came up through the challenge tour. In Poulter's book he describes the busiy of sharing cars, rooms, food, etc because nobody has any money and everyone mucks in together. And it seems to be that the Euro players naturally slip back into that kind of cameraderie when they get together like it's a trip down memory lane for them. They look like they genuinely enjoy each other's company and the whole craic. The Americans don't seem to have that shared experience to fall back on. And it shows in the results on the course.

Half the US team stays in the same house at tour events. This horse you continue to beat is long dead.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

i guess the old chestnut excuse will be back again...... they just like beating us better than we like beating them, or our guys dont do team sports, have no interest in team play and only want majors, the euros like the ryder cup cos they dont have any majors (remember that one LOL) that was a good excuse back in the day too

yeah thats an ole fav alrite.... its just hard to explain all those US players tears over the years after defeats, allergies i guess

Social media will be hilarious as the excuses dribble out. Quite a few upset at the rough, that seems to be a popular one.

Sorry but that's "real golf" and if you're the best in the world you have no excuse to suck so badly at hitting fairways or dealing with a bit of the thick stuff.

Yes, but I really think the US needs to rethink the selection process.

It clearly busted. The guys who perform well in individual events often end up as poor performers in the RC.

TW and Phil are great examples. Their records suck. Why keep picking them. If you a proven poor performer in the RC, ypu should be disqualified from continuing to play in it.

They should consider cutting the age off at 30 and/or if you have played in multiple RCs *unless you have a winning record.

Get more young hungry guys in not so far from college and playing/being on a team.

Its time to blow the model apart.

Who is in charge of this?

Half the US team stays in the same house at tour events. This horse you continue to beat is long dead.

You mean the posh mansions?

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Got a thought here.. the USA team likes playing golf with each other...the boy band gang and all. But the euro players LOVE beating Americans. They absolutely thrive on that thrill alone.

As much as some may not want to admit it, that is the biggest difference in this event. Everything else adds a little or subtracts a little. I wouldn't be surprised if the EU players collectively over the years feels like the US players don't necessarily respect their game (whether true or not) with the exception of a couple of guys and they take great pleasure in this event.

The fact that only JT showed up during the French Open tells how little Americans respect Europeans or the Ryder cup on EU soil.

If you've played TPC Sawgrass, you've played Le Golf National. And the rough in the French Open was cut shorter.

Dude...

Social media will be hilarious as the excuses dribble out. Quite a few upset at the rough, that seems to be a popular one.

Sorry but that's "real golf" and if you're the best in the world you have no excuse to suck so badly at hitting fairways or dealing with a bit of the thick stuff.

Who give a fk about social media? The US team commended the Euros for playing better. That's all that matters.

Thanks for schooling us all on what real golf is though. Were you Bjorn's fifth captain's pick?

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Who give a fk about social media? The US team commended the Euros for playing better. That's all that matters.

Thanks for schooling us all on what real golf is though. Were you Bjorn's fifth captain's pick?

You're welcome.