The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

So can a chest thumping guy down 6-10 on the road lead his team to victory?

French icon Napoleon Bonaparte only asked one thing about a man he was promoting to a general, " Is he lucky?"

And boy did Furyk get lucky with these singles selections.

#1 Thomas vs McIlroy: perhaps the only American that can take down Rory, JT is even a slight Vegas betting favorite

#2 Koepka vs. Casey: Koepka is also a slight favorite, did Casey burn his only good Sunday of the year in Tampa, or is there another?

#3 Simpson vs. Rose: Rose will put the first point up

#4 Woods vs. Rahm: Woods is pretty good against non Italian players in singles

#5 Finau vs. Fleetwood: if Furyk could beat Garcia in 1999...

#6 Johnson vs. Poulter: you're #1 in the world DJ, play like it

#7 Spieth vs. Olesen: if Jordan is ever going to win a Ryder Cup singles match...

#8 Fowler vs. Garcia: if you're going to get Sergio in the Ryder Cup, get him in the singles match

#9 Mickelson vs. Molinari: Molinari can win it 10&8 but...

tumblr_m1lsh4pxx71qbymseo2_500.gif

#10 Reed vs. Hatton: I talked about how the team with the Masters champion hasn't been on the winning team since 1985. The Masters champion has won his singles match once since 1991, Phil in 2010.

#11 Watson vs. Stenson: cold vs. bad wrist, could be close

#12 DeChambeau vs. Noren: Vegas has the US favored in 7 of the first 11 matches, with this one being even. If that comes to pass and Bryson wins, the US retains the cup.

The data boys see Europe with an 84% chance of winning, the US 9 % with a 16% overall chance of keeping the cup with a win or draw.

I'm almost wondering if Zach and Kuchar should have been picks? Seems like a track suited for them.

Great point, Kuch and ZJ must be walking round watching the US team missing fairways for fun thinking, I could be doing better than that! Heck Furyk must be thinking the same thing.

Furyk is #10 in driving accuracy.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a player turn down to play the RC when he is qualified or picked (without faking a injury or family desaster etc)? Just wondering...

I know of a little someone who should have done that, lol.....

I can think of 3 of them on this team that should have done that. They have a combined record of 0-6.

Perhaps it's time to acknowledge that the European tour produces the most complete players (and is underrated) and the PGA tour too much rewards 'bomb and gouge' golf to cater to spectators and confuses sponsorship dollars with quality level. Just a thought...
Why? Because they are winning on the second day of the Ryder Cup? The PGA Tour clearly produces vastly better talent suited for all venues. Nice try though.
This Ryder is showing the lack of adaptation from PGA players to different courses. The moment they lack those 60 yard fairways and mild rough, they struggle big time. Not saying the ET produces the best but PGA courses are pretty much the same during the season. The ET has more variety.
Not buying that. This course is much more like a typical US course than a typical EU course. In fact, it reminds me of TPC sawgrass. And the PGA tour courses are definitely not "pretty much the same".
Correct, Harbor Town is tighter than any course on the European Tour. This course is just a discount TPC Sawgrass. The US players have also played at places like Riviera, Colonial, Muirfield Village and Firestone. I said it in the other thread, the PGA Tour is every bit as diverse in course offerings as the European Tour.

Ive never seen any of the courses you mention set up as tight and penal as the national. Which is why europe did it.

From my tv viewing of usa courses you have nothing like the diversity. Open courses are certainly not where the european your guys learnt their trade. But hey, you guys kid yourselves, it suits us. :taunt:

I’m done making excuses for tiger in this event. If he managed 1 freakin point it’s 9-7 or 1.5 and it’s 8.5-7.5.

He just doesn’t have it in this event ever. 13-20-3 is embarrassing for a golfing great. Without his singles wins it’s 9-19-1.

I’m done with him in this event.

How can you be done? You never started. You've been using to Tiger's play to excuse Phil's play for the last 95 pages. We get it. They've both played like crap. For someone that claims to be a Tiger fan, you spend an awful lot of time and effort proving other wise. Why do you get so upset when people comment on how poorly Phil is playing and reply with ",but Tiger" ? It sounds oddly similar to all your complaints of why you don't like Tiger fans.

Bud go look up my posts calling for tiger to be on this team in july.I thought he and phil would step it up because it might be their last ryder cup on foreign soil and illicit some emotion some win one for the gippers from the other guys. i was dead wrong Im saying "but tiger" because hes lost all 3 matches brutally.Phil has lost 1. Tiger has looked bad and i mean really bad yet in here all this is transpiring "because Phil" give me a break. lets be at least honest. I am a tiger fan regardless of your comment but i also have eyes. it was a mistake to play him 3 matches and in the end it will cost team USA.What did Furyk see this morning in tiger that would say to him, "you know all he needs is another partner and he'll takeoff". He was crap on his own ball, short on every putt, couldnt hit the fairway. i mean if he was driving it great or spot on with his irons or making all kinds of putts sure give him the benefit of the doubt but man what a terrible mistake. you could see it in molinari and fleetwoods eyes, they knew they won before they teed it up against him.

Come on man, lets be real here.You want to defend tiger go for it, im done doing it. Freaking Gator and BSc have quit on him in this event, thats all you need to know

I have no desire to defend anyone on that team playing like crap. Half the team should be benched. I just don't think it's that serious. EU has played better to this point. It happens often in the RC. I just think expecting something different is just setting yourself up for massive disappointment. Tiger has never been stellar in the pairs portion of the RC, why would this year be any different? I would put someone with a record like that in Sunday and sparingly the rest of the event if it were me. The US team has too many ego's/personalities etc.. to navigate when making pairings every RC. At this point it seems like everything about US golf is set up to fail in this event with the exception of the years like 16, when everything lines up perfectly. Can't rely on that happening very often.

So can a chest thumping guy down 6-10 on the road lead his team to victory? French icon Napoleon Bonaparte only asked one thing about a man he was promoting to a general, " Is he lucky?" And boy did Furyk get lucky with these singles selections. #1 Thomas vs McIlroy: perhaps the only American that can take down Rory, JT is even a slight Vegas betting favorite #2 Koepka vs. Casey: Koepka is also a slight favorite, did Casey burn his only good Sunday of the year in Tampa, or is there another? #3 Simpson vs. Rose: Rose will put the first point up #4 Woods vs. Rahm: Woods is pretty good against non Italian players in singles #5 Finau vs. Fleetwood: if Furyk could beat Garcia in 1999... #6 Johnson vs. Poulter: you're #1 in the world DJ, play like it #7 Spieth vs. Olesen: if Jordan is ever going to win a Ryder Cup singles match... #8 Fowler vs. Garcia: if you're going to get Sergio in the Ryder Cup, get him in the singles match #9 Mickelson vs. Molinari: Molinari can win it 10&8 but... tumblr_m1lsh4pxx71qbymseo2_500.gif #10 Reed vs. Hatton: I talked about how the team with the Masters champion hasn't been on the winning team since 1985. The Masters champion has won his singles match once since 1991, Phil in 2010. #11 Watson vs. Stenson: cold vs. bad wrist, could be close #12 DeChambeau vs. Noren: Vegas has the US favored in 7 of the first 11 matches, with this one being even. If that comes to pass and Bryson wins, the US retains the cup. The data boys see Europe with an 84% chance of winning, the US 9 % with a 16% overall chance of keeping the cup with a win or draw.
I'm almost wondering if Zach and Kuchar should have been picks? Seems like a track suited for them.
Great point, Kuch and ZJ must be walking round watching the US team missing fairways for fun thinking, I could be doing better than that! Heck Furyk must be thinking the same thing.

Wow. Rose coloured spectacles. :taunt:

Can a player turn down to play the RC when he is qualified or picked (without faking a injury or family desaster etc)? Just wondering...

Tom Weiskopf did one year so that he could go hunting. The US won big, anyway.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I hope most of the American players like getting slapped around by Euros time and time again. What an embarrassment for most of these guys.

1. Tiger simply doesn’t trust his teammate, no matter who it is. The closeout hole this afternoon showcased my point. He runs a a pitch by the hole and immediately displays dejection. Shows no faith that his partner can bail him out. If he were playing in a major or regular tour event, he would not have batted an eye, and he would have gone about his business, meaning to make the 15 footer coming back.

2. Why does the captain have to be a late career, former Ryder Cupper? In other professional sports, extremely successful HC’s are younger than the players and have never sniffed that level of competition as players - think Rams, Celtics, and so on. The silliest thing about insisting that the RC Captain be a RC’er himself is that his skill is playing golf, and that has nothing to do with the responsibilities of being RC Cap. The USA should just grab a super smart tour caddie and go for it - What’s there to lose???

3. Get the wives and girlfriends outta here. Jesus, how much attention do some of these gold diggers need?? True love aside, please leave! It’s not your stage. If your presence was helpful, Team USA wouldn’t be getting waxed 3 out of every 4 turns.

4! I love the golf, but some of the celebratory mannerisms of these guys are so funny. I like the way Jordan (Michael) celebrates. I like how Tiger celebrates. I even appreciate Poulter’s intensified arm shaking roaring. But McIlroy, Garcia...like giggling little teenage girls sometimes haha.

French icon Napoleon Bonaparte only asked one thing about a man he was promoting to a general, " Is he lucky?"

#1 Thomas vs McIlroy: perhaps the only American that can take down Rory, JT is even a slight Vegas betting favorite

#2 Koepka vs. Casey: Koepka is also a slight favorite, did Casey burn his only good Sunday of the year in Tampa, or is there another?

#7 Spieth vs. Olesen: if Jordan is ever going to win a Ryder Cup singles match...

#8 Fowler vs. Garcia: if you're going to get Sergio in the Ryder Cup, get him in the singles match

#10 Reed vs. Hatton: I talked about how the team with the Masters champion hasn't been on the winning team since 1985. The Masters champion has won his singles match once since 1991, Phil in 2010.

#12 DeChambeau vs. Noren: Vegas has the US favored in 7 of the first 11 matches, with this one being even. If that comes to pass and Bryson wins, the US retains the cup.

The data boys see Europe with an 84% chance of winning, the US 9 % with a 16% overall chance of keeping the cup with a win or draw.

Feel like I should bookmark this and come back to it tomorrow after the singles has finished...

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 15* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Something is off with Tiger. Maybe he's really worn out. He had a long season. He sounded VERY strange in that post round interview, almost like he was slurring. He walked very slow all day and just seemed disinterested. He hit some wedges that were very uncharacteristic of how he's beeb playing. I don't know why or what all that means, but it threw me off a little.

You know exactly what it means...but your post will get deleted if you do say it so let's leave it at there.

Europe needs 4-1/2 points to take the cup back from the US.

Here are the guys that I think will do it: Rose, Fleetwood, Molinari, Hatton and Stenson, looking at the pairings.

It also would not surprise me to see Rahm beat Woods. And I like Noren's chances in the last match.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

From my tv viewing of usa courses you have nothing like the diversity.

Try watching the tv with your eyes open next time.

The good news for Europe is that there is no chance the US PGA Tour will alter its setups to try to win a Ryder Cup in Europe once every four years. The US will just have to settle for outplaying the other team.

Try watching the tv with your eyes open next time. The good news for Europe is that there is no chance the US PGA Tour will alter its setups to try to win a Ryder Cup in Europe once every four years. The US will just have to settle for outplaying the other team.

There's nothing as blind as one who will not see. Believe what suits you.

I hope most of the American players like getting slapped around by Euros time and time again. What an embarrassment for most of these guys.

1. Tiger simply doesn't trust his teammate, no matter who it is. The closeout hole this afternoon showcased my point. He runs a a pitch by the hole and immediately displays dejection. Shows no faith that his partner can bail him out. If he were playing in a major or regular tour event, he would not have batted an eye, and he would have gone about his business, meaning to make the 15 footer coming back.

2. Why does the captain have to be a late career, former Ryder Cupper? In other professional sports, extremely successful HC's are younger than the players and have never sniffed that level of competition as players - think Rams, Celtics, and so on. The silliest thing about insisting that the RC Captain be a RC'er himself is that his skill is playing golf, and that has nothing to do with the responsibilities of being RC Cap. The USA should just grab a super smart tour caddie and go for it - What's there to lose???

3. Get the wives and girlfriends outta here. Jesus, how much attention do some of these gold diggers need?? True love aside, please leave! It's not your stage. If your presence was helpful, Team USA wouldn't be getting waxed 3 out of every 4 turns.

4! I love the golf, but some of the celebratory mannerisms of these guys are so funny. I like the way Jordan (Michael) celebrates. I like how Tiger celebrates. I even appreciate Poulter's intensified arm shaking roaring. But McIlroy, Garcia...like giggling little teenage girls sometimes haha.

I like a lot of your points.

If it was up to me, the captain of each side would be a playing captain, and there would be no assistant captains.

And they could leave their wives home, so there would be no reason for a gala dinner before hand, and all of the other baloney.

Feel like I should bookmark this and come back to it tomorrow after the singles has finished...

I don't think the US can win, but if you wanted a setup where the US could take 8 out of 12 points for the cup clinching draw... this is it.

Try watching the tv with your eyes open next time. The good news for Europe is that there is no chance the US PGA Tour will alter its setups to try to win a Ryder Cup in Europe once every four years. The US will just have to settle for outplaying the other team.

Other than a true links style course, which technically counts as both a US and European Tour tournament, what style of course does the European Tour offer that the US Tour doesn't?

Something is off with Tiger. Maybe he's really worn out. He had a long season. He sounded VERY strange in that post round interview, almost like he was slurring. He walked very slow all day and just seemed disinterested. He hit some wedges that were very uncharacteristic of how he's beeb playing. I don't know why or what all that means, but it threw me off a little.
You know exactly what it means...but your post will get deleted if you do say it so let's leave it at there.

I'm not a Tiger fan and I didnt see the interview but if whats being inferred is reality then I think its a personal tragedy for the guy. I hope its cold or flu or something.

I wonder if Tiger's schedule down the stretch, and the flight and time change has tired him out? He just looks lethargic, and disinterested. Mabye there should be a week off between the Tour Championship and the Ryder Cup. The quality of play might be better without two big events back to back.

Can Mickelson surrender for half ?

I'm guessing he could pull out injured with a sore stomach from all the rubbing it got this afternoon, I mean that must be the toughest abs work out Phil has ever had.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 15* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Other than a true links style course, which technically counts as both a US and European Tour tournament, what style of course does the European Tour offer that the US Tour doesn't?

I will repeat, ive never seen a US tournament, i including masters and Us open set up as tight and penal as this one, with almost no safe side or bail out. That not the real story though. My point is the woodland courses these guys learned on. If your not straight you reload, practically every hole.

I will repeat, ive never seen a US tournament, i including masters and Us open set up as tight and penal as this one, with almost no safe side or bail out. That not the real story though. My point is the woodland courses these guys learned on. If your not straight you reload, practically every hole.

I think I am getting lost here. You're saying the European players learned on woodland courses where you had to be straight?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm not a Tiger fan and I didnt see the interview but if whats being inferred is reality then I think its a personal tragedy for the guy. I hope its cold or flu or something.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/woods-pretty-pissed-i-lost-three-matches/

It is blatantly apparent what's going on to my eyes, and I agree with your usage of the tragedy word. I really thought he had beaten his demons and figured everything out.

ive never seen a US tournament, i including masters and Us open set up as tight and penal as this one, with almost no safe side or bail out. That not the real story though. My point is the woodland courses these guys learned on. If your not straight you reload, practically every hole.

You must not have watched very many U.S. Opens going back the last 30+ years.

It has been a long ,long time since we have had a course set up like this one for sure.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.