2018 Evian Championship Sep 13-16

Argonne69

Awesome win for AS. Ironically I remember watching her last win live also. Awesome final round and great up and down double bogey on 16 followed up by birdie on 17. Tough tough lady.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh, Sei Young is just never going to get over that hump. I thought she could be something special but like Amy Yang she is just missing that IT factor. At least we still have Namdalla.

What hump? Personally I think there is less of a magnitude difference between a regular LPGA event and a "major" than betweeen regular man's event and man's major. Even less between the Evian and other women's majors. For the players, knowing that there's like maybe 100 people watching on TV back home has got to take a little bit of the pressure off. On second thought you could be right though, maybe Korean players feel more pressure as winning majors is more a life-changer for them. In any case I think Sei Young has achieved a lot so far. They blab about her as being the winningest player without a major but don't ever mention that she is one of the winningest LPGA players of the last few years period. Since Sei Young joined the tour in 2015, who has won as consistently her?

She struggled for awhile if you take out that match play win mexico. Seems her wins are against weaker fields but I haven't looked at the numbers. I just get that Amy Yang vibe in the majors watching her. Some just cant close it in the majors.

Well, that was unexpected. I was planning to congratulate Amy for playing well enough to win. If she was nervous, she sure didn't show it. With the course playing tough, it seemed that nobody wanted to take away her trophy, so firing at the middle of greens and taking easy pars on the home stretch was all that was needed.

Of course, what do I know. Gutsy performance by Angela, and well deserved. She could have easily thrown in the towel after her double, but as she said after the round, she wasn't going to quite. It seems we have many a major finish where the leader has a poor final hole, and the winner is there smiling because they posted a score and put the pressure on the previous leader.

I hate to say I didn't call it, but you just don't know which Sei Young will show up on Sunday. When she's hitting fairways, she's tough. But as they said, she's only middle pack in scrambling, and she was in the cabbage patch rough a few too many times.

'Very nice finish by Lucky 6. 'Hope to see her in the LPGA in the next few years.

I thought the course played great. Only three players were better than -3 today. Heck, even Inbee was left scratching her head on some of the greens.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Great win for AS but feel really bad for Olson. Hope that being in final group in 2 majors this year will propel her forward and not have today's finish hold back her continued development. Side bar, anybody else notice the GC graphics of the holes yardage when players tee'd off? On 17, it had 331 today, Mo Martin hits tee ball in fairway but was blocked out by the overhanging limbs and decides to lay up, takes a full swing with what looked to be a SW. When they cut to her hitting her 3rd shot, they say she has 101 left. Now I know she is known to be prodigiously short, but an elevated tee shot and a full SW only covered 230yds????? Then 18 showed 417 and AS was within a yard of the red plate in the fairway. So a 317yd drive ???? That's WRX long..haha

is it possible Mo hit a tree limb with her 2nd shot? I have to assume the red plate is 150 m, and not 100 m.

Edit: Mo was blocked out by the tree, and decided to lay up to a full wedge distance. She left herself 108 (uphill), and Jerry said she was hitting a PW.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Great win for AS but feel really bad for Olson. Hope that being in final group in 2 majors this year will propel her forward and not have today's finish hold back her continued development. Side bar, anybody else notice the GC graphics of the holes yardage when players tee'd off? On 17, it had 331 today, Mo Martin hits tee ball in fairway but was blocked out by the overhanging limbs and decides to lay up, takes a full swing with what looked to be a SW. When they cut to her hitting her 3rd shot, they say she has 101 left. Now I know she is known to be prodigiously short, but an elevated tee shot and a full SW only covered 230yds????? Then 18 showed 417 and AS was within a yard of the red plate in the fairway. So a 317yd drive ???? That's WRX long..haha

She hit 9wd from 175 on 18....

A HUGE congratulations to Angela Stanford......finally, a very hard-fought major. She never gives up! Amy Olson will have many more chances to win a major, but Angela probably does not. A popular win for a great gal who has mentored quite a few young gals on the LPGA. Angela is Fort Worth's own & she will be treated like the champion she is (in life & in golf).

Just watched the interview. I'm not crying, you're crying!

Haha, super duper new avatar Tbowles.

I've always been a fan. I like her workpail attitude. Puts her head down and just plays her guts out.

I do feel bad for Amy. Like I said, I thought she had it in the bag. But her time will come. She has the right demeanor for it.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

i am very happy for Angela and sad for Amy..i saw Angela lose that play-off for the US Open many years ago and she really deserved this win this time..

I rooted against Angela in that US Open playoff because it was so obvious Lunke would never contend in any event again, let alone have a chance in a major.

That result is still easily the most astonishing golf outcome I have ever seen or heard of. In fact, it will not be topped.

But I remember feeling bad for Angela Stanford because I didn't think she would ever win a major herself. I'm not a believer in that "many more chances" theory. When you are a 60-1 shot or 100-1 shot caliber of player, then that reality sets in every time. LPGA is dramatically imbalanced at the top.

Now I don't feel so bad for rooting against Angela all those years ago. She has really removed two monkeys with the Solheim clutch singles win and now this major. Although it feels like a semi-major, since the move to #5.

Sei Young Kim's height makes her a predictably unpredictable player

Congrats to Ariya for winning the Annika Major Award. While she could only manage a 36th place finish here, she's had a solid run in the majors this season.

I believe Austin and Ryann both had their best finish in a major.

Well now we basically get a month off between events, well 3 weeks for UL Crown players. I'm not really a fan of the LPGA schedule maker to be honest. Even next season, with the Evian and the British are back to back, that's kinda of amateur hour IMO. You have the Annika award in play and the winner of the Evian won't have a real shot at then winning the British. Sure anything can happen, but truthfully everything you use up mentally and physically in the heat of battle to win that Major wipes you out for the next event or till you take a week off to recharge. This year there were only 2 Major's that had an event the week after it, the week after the US Open which Ariya took off and the week after the KPMG which Sung Hyun missed the cut badly with a +1 at the easiest LPGA track at Thornberry Creek. IMO it's a disservice to the top player in the women game that use the Major to help define their careers. Good Luck to the Scottish event the week after the British, nobody is gonna be there lol.

OK, time for the final major of the season.

I feel that this concept of Evian-as-major is not holding up. Among LPGA golf fans, who is excited for this event? No one.

And, I would argue that the insertion of a fifth major into the schedule, especially one as dubious as this event, serves primarily to undermine the overall credibility of women's professional golf.

Evian as a major is Naive.

...and backwards!

What happened to Georgia? She tied Amy for the worst round of the day among the top 25 players with a 74. After her strong performance in the final round of the WBO, I wasn't expecting that.

What happened to Georgia? She tied Amy for the worst round of the day among the top 25 players with a 74. After her strong performance in the final round of the WBO, I wasn't expecting that.

I think like any good major, your margin of error is very small. At this course you had to be on all facets of your game for all 4 rounds. In the Top 10 only Austin Ernest, Mo Martin, Jessica Korda and Imbee Park were the only players to not have an over par round all week. Lydia Ko, SoYeonRyu Brooke Hnderson, Jeongeun Lee6, Sei Young Kim and Angela Stanford were the next best with one round of +1. Angela and Sei Young were able to drop 64's to put them at the top of the leaderborad. But I think the biggest thing with Georgia was her putter didn't save her bacon so to speak like it did at the British.

I'm sitting on the fence regarding the changing of the 18th to a par 5. If they add the right yardage, it could become an even better finishing hole, similar to the 18th at Mission Hills. Going for the green in two with a chance for eagle vs. spraying it in the pond and walking away with a bogie to throw away the tournament.

My thoughts on the 18th, as it stands right now miss the fairway and you're basically done. You are then forced to lay up and hope you can stick the 3rd and sneak out with par. If it was a par 5 you bailout the bad tee shots and unless there are some major changes around the green I think you'd be fool to try and get there in 2 with OB and the water. It would most likely be a bailout to the left side for those who can cross the water in 2 which has the mown down area to the left basically just making it a birdie hole. Then again I prefer an always difficult hole to end, watching the LPGA I know if they are able too, they will make the 18th as easy as possible.

i am very happy for Angela and sad for Amy..i saw Angela lose that play-off for the US Open many years ago and she really deserved this win this time..

I rooted against Angela in that US Open playoff because it was so obvious Lunke would never contend in any event again, let alone have a chance in a major.

That result is still easily the most astonishing golf outcome I have ever seen or heard of. In fact, it will not be topped.

I remember watching, I was pulling for Kelly Robbins the whole way, although I liked all three players. Was a big KR fan back in the day :).

I'm sitting on the fence regarding the changing of the 18th to a par 5. If they add the right yardage, it could become an even better finishing hole, similar to the 18th at Mission Hills. Going for the green in two with a chance for eagle vs. spraying it in the pond and walking away with a bogie to throw away the tournament.

I agree, changing from a 5 was bad decision. But I'm in the Evian shouldn't even be a major camp anyway, so might be biased.

Great win for Angela, I was pulling for her the whole day, even though all my buddies were pulling for Amy, because she was "the cute one" :russian_roulette:

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

My thoughts on the 18th, as it stands right now miss the fairway and you're basically done. You are then forced to lay up and hope you can stick the 3rd and sneak out with par. If it was a par 5 you bailout the bad tee shots and unless there are some major changes around the green I think you'd be fool to try and get there in 2 with OB and the water. It would most likely be a bailout to the left side for those who can cross the water in 2 which has the mown down area to the left basically just making it a birdie hole. Then again I prefer an always difficult hole to end, watching the LPGA I know if they are able too, they will make the 18th as easy as possible.

But that's the beauty. Those who are trailing by two will have to give it a go, which is similar to the 18th at Mission Hills. If they do mow down the left, it's still not an easy up and down for birdie. Again, same with 18 at MH.

I agree that the LPGA generally makes the par 5's too easy, but the 18th at MH is a good example of a risk/reward hole that doesn't result in an automatic birdie. It will obviously depend on the length. A good drive that requires a 3 wood would likely be too long. A good drive leaving a long iron/hybrid to the well protected green could work.

Different question--is Evian no longer a sponsor of Evian? I didn't see any annoying dancing baby ads this go round.

Replaced by ads for the Evian resort?

Feel terrible for Amy Olson, and really pleased with the way she handled herself after the final round. That said, I couldn't be happier for AS.

My only quibble is with Evian being a "major." I just don't think it is a tour's place to decide an event is a major. It is a little like being Prom King/Queen. I think the fan base decides if a tourney is a major.

But then, I am just a grumpy old dude.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

But that's the beauty. Those who are trailing by two will have to give it a go, which is similar to the 18th at Mission Hills. If they do mow down the left, it's still not an easy up and down for birdie. Again, same with 18 at MH.

I agree that the LPGA generally makes the par 5's too easy, but the 18th at MH is a good example of a risk/reward hole that doesn't result in an automatic birdie. It will obviously depend on the length. A good drive that requires a 3 wood would likely be too long. A good drive leaving a long iron/hybrid to the well protected green could work.

I guess like everything the devil is in the detail and not only changes made to affect the distance but also the changes made to around and on the green. The beauty of the 18th at MH especially on Sunday with the pin location is not only is a great tee shot needed but your 2nd approach must be great as well. There is literally a slot the players must hit to have that chance eagle. Bailout to the left and good luck 2 putting for birdie let alone having a chance at eagle. Cross the water but miss the green and no matter where you end up it's a challenge to get up and down for birdie. So I guess with a good design I could accept it, but to me it's one of those if it ain't broke don't fix it. It's always easier to see someone win a tournament rather than watch a player lose it. I just enjoy the demand for execution that the current 18th places on the players, poor execution is what decided the last 2 winners of this event, although special mention goes out to the weather in 2017.

Feel terrible for Amy Olson, and really pleased with the way she handled herself after the final round. That said, I couldn't be happier for AS.

My only quibble is with Evian being a "major." I just don't think it is a tour's place to decide an event is a major. It is a little like being Prom King/Queen. I think the fan base decides if a tourney is a major.

Phred

Given that extra points are awarded for "majors" by the tour, who else would make the decision? Do we want every tournament to make the decision for itself? The media?

I guess like everything the devil is in the detail and not only changes made to affect the distance but also the changes made to around and on the green. The beauty of the 18th at MH especially on Sunday with the pin location is not only is a great tee shot needed but your 2nd approach must be great as well. There is literally a slot the players must hit to have that chance eagle. Bailout to the left and good luck 2 putting for birdie let alone having a chance at eagle. Cross the water but miss the green and no matter where you end up it's a challenge to get up and down for birdie. So I guess with a good design I could accept it, but to me it's one of those if it ain't broke don't fix it. It's always easier to see someone win a tournament rather than watch a player lose it. I just enjoy the demand for execution that the current 18th places on the players, poor execution is what decided the last 2 winners of this event, although special mention goes out to the weather in 2017.

Mission Hills does suffer a bit from having the grandstand as a backstop. I have a good suspicion that far fewer players would attempt going for the green in two if they didn't have the stands there. Of course it's no easy up and down from the rough behind the green, but without the stands they'd be in the hazard, and hitting four from the drop area.

At 442 yards, there are very few birdies on the current Evian 18th. It's a rather boring hole to watch, as few players are attempting to attack the pin. As you note, it's really about executing two good shots, and walking away with par.

Phred

Given that extra points are awarded for "majors" by the tour, who else would make the decision? Do we want every tournament to make the decision for itself? The media?

It was the print media of the day that coined the phrase "major." And the whole point system came after. I could declare myself a superhero and give myself extra credit but I'm not sure that makes it so.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.