2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Former Iowa State Womens Golfer found murdered on Course

FlyingLaw1

I'm not really sure where this belongs so Mods, Please move as you deem fit....

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/24717884/man-charged-first-degree-murder-death-iowa-state-golfer-celia-barquin-arozamena

I can't even fathom this. I went to grad school in Des Moines and my girl friend was an athlete at Iowa State not long ago. I can't even believe this would happen... I truly do not have words...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just odd, and sickening. I have played there a couple times, and am just at a loss to what happened here. I mean was this a stalker thing? The course is not really very accessible outside the entrance. Was the dude laying in the fescue?

Makes me sick to my stomach.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Kind of crazy this happened on a golf course. Usually at least a few people around. Very sad to see stories like this

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

This is just odd, and sickening. I have played there a couple times, and am just at a loss to what happened here. I mean was this a stalker thing? The course is not really very accessible outside the entrance. Was the dude laying in the fescue?

Makes me sick to my stomach.

Assuming some details will start coming out but may not come out more than they have until certain things are happening with the prosecution. Both my daughters are back in Iowa City, people should never underestimate safety issues in college towns (or anywhere) in this day and age or forget some of the same old issues are always there as well. Still, stuff like this usually comes out of the blue in an instant and you can't prepare for everything but it is very sobering.

A talented young woman with a bright future and her whole life ahead of her. Just fking awful.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

man that sucks, these courses are so big it would be almost impossible to have decent security but something needs to change.

Tragedy beyond belief but not a "security issue" and not something the course is accountable for.

not to get in an argument but yeah it is a "security issue" a few security patrolling every few holes would have helped. I mean this is not rocket science there are entire industries devoted to studying and preventing random attacks. Of course nothing is guaranteed.

man that sucks, these courses are so big it would be almost impossible to have decent security but something needs to change.

Tragedy beyond belief but not a "security issue" and not something the course is accountable for.

not to get in an argument but yeah it is a "security issue" a few security patrolling every few holes would have helped. I mean this is not rocket science there are entire industries devoted to studying and preventing random attacks. Of course nothing is guaranteed.

I think your heart’s in the right place, but it’s not realistic or necessary to put security every few holes on golf courses.

Evil will always find a way.

If you secure golf courses, they’ll start killing innocent people somewhere else.

All you can do is arm yourself at all times, as I do. Since getting my concealed carry I never go anywhere without a gun. Golf course, movie theater, Olive Garden, etc.

You’d be surprised how much safer you and your family feel when you know you can control the outcome of a dangerous situation

I think your heart’s in the right place, but it’s not realistic or necessary to put security every few holes on golf courses.

Evil will always find a way.

If you secure golf courses, they’ll start killing innocent people somewhere else.

All you can do is arm yourself at all times, as I do. Since getting my concealed carry I never go anywhere without a gun. Golf course, movie theater, Olive Garden, etc.

You’d be surprised how much safer you and your family feel when you know you can control the outcome of a dangerous situation

This news is so upsetting and scary.

I'll agree security is probably unrealistic but it is good to have volunteer marshals on the course for a number of reasons and this is one of them.

This hit me pretty hard as it was very close to home. I graduated from Iowa State in 2011 and spent 2 years living in an apartment just north of the course along the woods they mentioned the homeless living in. I was a member at Coldwater Golf Links for 3 years and played TONS of golf there. My wife even worked the beverage cart at Coldwater for a summer during school. Never in my wildest dreams would have guessed it could be an unsafe place.

To give some a better picture the whole course has woods with a creek along the north boundary (where some homeless camp). Then the front and back nines are divided by a bike trail that crosses over the creek. Decent amount of non golf related travel through that area. The walk from 8 green to 9 tee crosses the trail very close to the main creek and there is lots of forest cover in that area.

Edit*** Just remembered my avatar is me playing at Coldwater.

This hit me pretty hard as it was very close to home. I graduated from Iowa State in 2011 and spent 2 years living in an apartment just north of the course along the woods they mentioned the homeless living in. I was a member at Coldwater Golf Links for 3 years and played TONS of golf there. My wife even worked the beverage cart at Coldwater for a summer during school. Never in my wildest dreams would have guessed it could be an unsafe place.

To give some a better picture the whole course has woods with a creek along the north boundary (where some homeless camp). Then the front and back nines are divided by a bike trail that crosses over the creek. Decent amount of non golf related travel through that area. The walk from 8 green to 9 tee crosses the trail very close to the main creek and there is lots of forest cover in that area.

Edit*** Just remembered my avatar is me playing at Coldwater.

I'm right there with you... My girl friend lived not far from there when she was at ISU. She used to walk around alone all the time in the area--She's understandably pretty upset about it as well.

I've spent a ton of time in the area myself when I lived in Des Moines.. For something like this to happen in Ames..... Even a day later is still cannot wrap my mind around it.

My prayers definitely go out to the family BUT this degenerate nothin’ needs to be met with swift and appropriate justice.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

God, that sick bastxxx. It saddens me greatly as a father of two girls. You can even see the scratches on his face in one of the photos. I don't typically get like this, but how can someone expect to rehabilitate someone like this? Instead, he will have 3 squares a day and free room and board the rest of his life. Just sick.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Just wrong. Not practical or reasonable. Let's keep the knee jerk "if only" out of it.

Give him death... why waste taxpayer dollar on this danger to society. Another good person taken while the garbage stays. Maddening.

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

Give him death... why waste taxpayer dollar on this danger to society. Another good person taken while the garbage stays. Maddening.

Unfortunately, Iowa doesn’t have capital punishment.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

So sad..... we as a society need to figure something out on how to address mental health issues in a big way

No evidence or reasonable argument that addressing whatever alleged mental health issues (assuming they were existing/were identified/something could be done and on and on) this guy had would have made a difference. Again, let's keep the knee jerk reactions/political reactions out of it.