DG 105 vs Modus 105

BHGolf

I was hitting the ping i500 this weekend and was between tow shafts and flexes.

The problem was I wasn't able to test the modus 3 105 in regular flex and not sure if that would be the right fit for me with those irons.

I got the best numbers with DG 105 r 300. I tested the modus 105 stiff flex and found I lost yards and gained a lot more spin ( not always a bad thing).

I was hitting a 7 iron with club head speed around 83.

When i was outside hitting balls I found my carry with DG 105 stiff to be right around 155-158.

Inside with the DG 105 Regular flex my carry was around 163. I didn't get to hit outside so not sure about that.

Also it's 45 degrees here so that also has to be taken into account.

Β 

Question is with the Modus 3 105 regular flex would i expect to see similar numbers as I did with the DG 105 R300?

Ping doesn’t offer the Modus 105 in regular flex. The difference between the two shafts is mainly in the tip section, where the Dynamic Gold 105 is a little stronger. You will find the DG 105 R and Modus 105 R in Mizuno’s fitting cart which will give you an indication of the potential in each, although if your heart is set on the Ping’s then you’re stuck with Dynamic Gold 105 for a regular flex option.

Β 

If you haven’t tried the stock Ping AWT shaft, it might be worth comparing, it is made by Nippon for Ping, it is closer to the NS Pro line but the NS Pro 1050 is a very close relation to the Modus 105 making it worth testing.

• Like 3

Ping doesn’t offer the Modus 105 in regular flex. The difference between the two shafts is mainly in the tip section, where the Dynamic Gold 105 is a little stronger. You will find the DG 105 R and Modus 105 R in Mizuno’s fitting cart which will give you an indication of the potential in each, although if your heart is set on the Ping’s then you’re stuck with Dynamic Gold 105 for a regular flex option.

Β 

If you haven’t tried the stock Ping AWT shaft, it might be worth comparing, it is made by Nippon for Ping, it is closer to the NS Pro line but the NS Pro 1050 is a very close relation to the Modus 105 making it worth testing.

thank you very much for your feedback.

I too am in the same boat. Found the DG 105s a bit firmer in the tip vs. Modus. The Modus 105 R I have hit from the Mizzy cart, feels the softest of the bunch. Modus will be a bit softer feel and higher launch/spin, if that is what you need? With your SS, I might look at stiff in either? ;)

• Like 1

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

TP5

Β 

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! πŸ¦…

My 7i swing speed is the same as the OP. I found DG105 R300 and R flex in the Modus 105 to be very similar number-wise. The primary difference being the DG peaked a bit lower and felt crisper in the tip. I tested both shafts in stiff and the firmer tip of the DG was too hard feeling for my liking. The Modus 105 S was the best balance of feel and numbers. I gave up a couple yards carry for better dispersion and very good feel. Played the best golf of my life this season with the gear in my signature.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5Β° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15Β° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21Β° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26Β° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48Β°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54Β°-10S and 60Β°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Actually I liked the DG 105 R better. better numbers and better feel. I really wanted to try to the modus 3 105 R to see if I could get similar numbers with a better or smoother feel.

So buy the set with the DG's since they already gave you good numbers and you like that feel... then buy a modus 105 R shaft off eBay or wherever and install it into your 7i and see what it feels like. If you don't like it, no harm, put the DG back in. If you do like it, then reshaft your set and sell the DG's.

• Like 1

Β 

Β 

Thanks for the feedback. good stuff and a lot of what I experienced as well with what I tired.

Height isn't an issue for me as I tend to hit high balls so I was looking for a little more penetrating balls flight.

Same for me. I'm playing the XP95 (S300) in my irons and they are way to high. Tried the DG 105 and the Modus 105 in the JPX 919 Tour irons and it looks like the DG is a better fit for me.

Driver:Β Cobra Aerojet LSΒ 10.5Β° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 60 6.0

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 15° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Cobra LTDx 19° - KBS PGI 85 S

Irons:Β MP-20 MMC (4-PW) - KBS Tour S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50.08F), SM9 (54.14F, 58.08M) - KBS Tour S (50), TT Dynamic Gold S300 (54, 58)

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydro BlastΒ Flow Neck - KBS CT Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

thank you. do you usually see it in the tip of the club in either direction?

Β 

What do you mean?

PING G400 MaxΒ 
Maltby STi2Β  Fairway

Maltby STi2 HybridΒ 

Maltby STI2 IronsΒ 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Hard stepping...stiffer

Β 

Soft stepping...softer

Β 

Softer and stiffer are often used to describe it but the real world effects are pretty unnoticeable if you ss or hs x1. You way notice slight higher launch and spin but nothing significant.

PING G400 MaxΒ 
Maltby STi2Β  Fairway

Maltby STi2 HybridΒ 

Maltby STI2 IronsΒ 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

• 3 months later...

> @DaveMac said:

> Ping doesn’t offer the Modus 105 in regular flex. The difference between the two shafts is mainly in the tip section, where the Dynamic Gold 105 is a little stronger. You will find the DG 105 R and Modus 105 R in Mizuno’s fitting cart which will give you an indication of the potential in each, although if your heart is set on the Ping’s then you’re stuck with Dynamic Gold 105 for a regular flex option.

>

>

>

> If you haven’t tried the stock Ping AWT shaft, it might be worth comparing, it is made by Nippon for Ping, it is closer to the NS Pro line but the NS Pro 1050 is a very close relation to the Modus 105 making it worth testing.

Β 

Ping does offer the Modus 105 in regular flex. Unfortunately though, they do not have the shaft in fitting cart. I currently have the Modus 105 Reg in my Ping I's and getting ready to upgrade to iBlades. I tried all the shafts they had and was hitting the DG 105 R beautifully. I could really feel the club head through impact, it felt more "lively". Is that due to Kickpoint? However, the flight was MUCH lower than I am used with my Modus 105 R. I am now in same predicament as OP. Don't know if I should go with DG 105R or Modus 105 R. I did notice a much tighter dispersion with the DG 105 R - the ball was going exactly were I wanted it. I'm just a little worried about lower flight since I'm used to high flight with ball just dropping onto the green. Plus, I hate that I can't try out the Modus 105R in the iBlade before buying. Any suggestions? OP, what did you end up doing? Thanks all.

> @BHGolf said:

> I'm playing the XP 95 as well in the ping i200 and I think I'm losing distance due to the very high ball flight.

>

> I haven't really been I love with the irons an I think I was fitted incorrectly which is big reason why I'm switching.

>

> Hopefully the new irons and fitting will do the trick.

Β 

If your concern is about your ball flight being too high, then you should definitely go with DG. Ping, in their own iron shaft comparison chart, show the Modus 105 as being higher trajectory than the XP95. Personally, I think that is incorrect, but the Modus 105 is definitely higher than the DG. The DG is stiffer in the tip, has a firmer feel and probably plays about a half flex stiffer than the Modus.

Β 

Regarding hard/soft stepping - if you were to hit the same iron blind, one time with the shaft installed normally and one time with the shaft either hard or soft stepped, you would more than likely be unable to accurately say which is which. 1/3 of a flex is such a small amount.

> @DaveMac said:

> Ping doesn’t offer the Modus 105 in regular flex. The difference between the two shafts is mainly in the tip section, where the Dynamic Gold 105 is a little stronger. You will find the DG 105 R and Modus 105 R in Mizuno’s fitting cart which will give you an indication of the potential in each, although if your heart is set on the Ping’s then you’re stuck with Dynamic Gold 105 for a regular flex option.

>

>

>

> If you haven’t tried the stock Ping AWT shaft, it might be worth comparing, it is made by Nippon for Ping, it is closer to the NS Pro line but the NS Pro 1050 is a very close relation to the Modus 105 making it worth testing.

Β 

pbzcc9vs0b5x.png

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• 10 months later...

Reviving this thread for a question. If I am playing DG105’s in my P790’s currently would the Modus 105 be a good fit likely. They didn’t have modus in the fitting cart and I was told the DG105 or Ctaper lite gave me similar results. I went with DG mainly since I liked the feel better on partial shots. Recently I put modus 125 in my wedges and absolutely love the feel, makes my DG feel harsh. Is it safe to AD-DI the modus 105 would be a decent fit still in the irons, as it’s fairly similar to the DG but matches the heavier 125 profile to boot? I often felt like a little more help holding shots with the P790 wouldn’t hurt but my game isn’t honestly constant enough to beat this kind of stuff to death. I am looking to pick up a second set for leaving at my parents vacation house so thinking the Modus would be a good choice and leave whichever I hit worse at the house, just want to make sure it’s not a huge mistake overtly. Thanks for help.

I have the newer 790 version with stock DG105 VSS and demoed every shaft in the fitting cart.

IMO - While the difference in feel between the DG and Modus 105 is in the same direction as the wedge shafts, they’re not nearly of the same magnitude. To me, the Modus 105 has less feel and less control than the DG, which in a club with the distance potential of the 790 isn’t a great combination. If your game and consistency are modest, that’s not likely to be helpful. If you are looking for a smoother feel with a bit better control, consider the Modus 120, C-taper lite, or $-taper.

Driver -Β SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter -Β Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

Your reasoning is sound, and they probably will be fine based on my experience. Modus definitely gave me a smoother feeling than DG105 or CTL. I've also hit the 125s which in some ways I preferred except for the heavier weight.

Might not be a bad idea to do a demo of some other head that has both available for your peace of mind. FWIW, when I was demoing, my preference in order was Modus105, CTL, DG105.

Thanks for all the advice, I have had experience with the modus 105 recently in a set of MP20 HMB’s with mixed results. I am not sure if it was the shaft or club head, but I did a fitting and that’s what we settled on. Modus 120 spun too much for me, so we ruled it out and went with Modus 105. Thought I wanted more control thus the HMB, but the whole setup just felt a little clicky and seemed to fly higher and land steeper than my P790 with DG105. I pretty much moved on from the HMB right after but wondered if the shaft wouldn’t be a good fit in my P790, which I just can’t seem to kick out of my bag. I play to a 5.5 and found the TM’s to be point and shoot on my good days, and I am getting addicted to the distance. I am not the longest guy so I routinely hit one club more than my longer partners but now I’m the same club. Stopping power had me concerned early on, thus asking about the Modus, but I might just leave well enough alone. The Modus 125 really got me thinking, but I recall my biggest issue with the HMB was how light weight the 105 felt compared to DG. The 125 isn’t offered in the P790, so I may have found the best option for me. Ruled out the CTL after a couple range sessions based on feel and harshness to me. Thanks for all advice I might just be a dog chasing his tail

Got me thinking the 125’s all the way through the set might be the ticket, I played my best golf a few years ago sigh AMT white. Started to think the heavier shafts were hurting my wrist but it was bad technique I think more. The 125 shares the profile of the 105 but with more weight? The wedges I have with 125’s being heavier have really helped my control, with the mid launch/spin making them easy to hit. Thanks for advice