Tiger Woods 2019 Taylormade Irons...P7TW?

hokiealumn

> @BearQ said:

> It is true he played the same 58 model with one bent to 56 and one to 60

>

> It’s possible if gets them bent weak but I’ve never heard him say it. With all the intel he and TM leaking lately, why not mention that he bends them too.

>

> However I get your premise and can’t say it’s impossible. TM just released a video of him showing how they used to slam and bend clubs back in the day to get to spec hahaha. A lot has changed look at us all brawling over the nitty gritty now :)

He did back when he was with Titleist and Vokey. He played a 60 normal, and then bent a 58 down to 56 because he liked the shape of the head a bit more. I haven't heard anything about him doing that with Nike or TM. At this point in his career, I think his specs and looks are the same. He's not taking stock clubs and bending them, companies are making them to his liking. His 56 might be made to have more of a 58 shape now, but they're not doing any bending. I'm not saying he doesn't ever bend lofts or lies, because he's said he does change lies during swing changes.

• Like 1

> @tbrumbeloe13 said:

> > @BearQ said:

> > It is true he played the same 58 model with one bent to 56 and one to 60

> >

> > It’s possible if gets them bent weak but I’ve never heard him say it. With all the intel he and TM leaking lately, why not mention that he bends them too.

> >

> > However I get your premise and can’t say it’s impossible. TM just released a video of him showing how they used to slam and bend clubs back in the day to get to spec hahaha. A lot has changed look at us all brawling over the nitty gritty now :)

>

> He did back when he was with Titleist and Vokey. He played a 60 normal, and then bent a 58 down to 56 because he liked the shape of the head a bit more. I haven't heard anything about him doing that with Nike or TM. At this point in his career, I think his specs and looks are the same. He's not taking stock clubs and bending them, companies are making them to his liking. His 56 might be made to have more of a 58 shape now, but they're not doing any bending. I'm not saying he doesn't ever bend lofts or lies, because he's said he does change lies during swing changes.

when I was at artisan I was shown the book with all the grinds and a couple of his old wedges. pretty sweet

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @scott_Donald said:

> > @tbrumbeloe13 said:

> > > @BearQ said:

> > > It is true he played the same 58 model with one bent to 56 and one to 60

> > >

> > > It’s possible if gets them bent weak but I’ve never heard him say it. With all the intel he and TM leaking lately, why not mention that he bends them too.

> > >

> > > However I get your premise and can’t say it’s impossible. TM just released a video of him showing how they used to slam and bend clubs back in the day to get to spec hahaha. A lot has changed look at us all brawling over the nitty gritty now :)

> >

> > He did back when he was with Titleist and Vokey. He played a 60 normal, and then bent a 58 down to 56 because he liked the shape of the head a bit more. I haven't heard anything about him doing that with Nike or TM. At this point in his career, I think his specs and looks are the same. He's not taking stock clubs and bending them, companies are making them to his liking. His 56 might be made to have more of a 58 shape now, but they're not doing any bending. I'm not saying he doesn't ever bend lofts or lies, because he's said he does change lies during swing changes.

>

> when I was at artisan I wa shown the book with all the grinds and a couple of his old wedges. pretty sweet

I mean, I would buy milled grind 56/60 combo with S400 shafts with TW grinds to complete my iron set. My wedges are 3 seasons old and due for a replacement!

If they don’t release his grinds then it is more proof that he gets the wedge grinds done elsewhere and TM can’t really mass market that.

TIGER'S IRONS VS RETAIL P7TW IRONS

I did some comparison work with a number of photos shared by Golfwrx members versus Tiger's iron photos, mostly taken by Andrew Tursky of PGATour.com.

Here is what I gathered are the differences between Tiger's and Retail that are clearly seen:

1. Tiger's irons have a shorter 10th groove from the leading edge, while the Retail has a 10th groove that runs the entire blasted portion of the face.

2. Tiger's irons don't have the text "FORGED" under the Taylormade text in the hosel, while the retail has the text "FORGED"

3. The fonts between both are ever so slightly different which leads me to my next hypothesis but this one is not conclusive....

....the text in Tiger's gamers appear to have been milled while the retails appear to have been stamped because:

1. A closeup look of Tiger's irons show some parallel mill marks inside the text, while the retail doesn't have it (or it could have been covered by paint).

2. The font of Tiger's irons seem to be sharper and more precise around the edges, while the retail irons are rounder

3. Based on the lighting and reflections, it seems the retail irons have more of a "mushrooming" effect around the text which usually signifies that the text was stamped, while Tiger's in much less apparent.

That is as far as I can say to compare both irons based on pictures. If there are other statements like if they are made in different factories or use different materials, then that is not supported by the photos. Does anyone have photos of the sticker (if there is) which states where the components are made in? Usually they have that right? Does anyone know where the retail head is made in? Just wondering.

Anyway, here are the comparison pics I prepared.

vnevvfevui2k.jpg

r2j3gw2x2575.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent comparison and the Tiger iron looks to have less offset in the 8 iron. The conclusions on stamped versus milled fonts certainly is a possibility by Tigers having sharper edges, but as you point out could be paint fill.. Heard another theory on who does the heads from another OEM designer who regularly visits Japan, China, Thailand,Vietnam forging houses. Endo (not necessarily Japan) does the retail heads and Epon their Lexus division does Tigers heads in Japan. The Muira urban legend for years never made any sense as Tiger and or his builders/club guys have NEVER spoken about a spin welded hosel. That certainly would be another bullet point on the sell sheet under the Tungsten plugs for Tigers unique feel requirements.

Looks like some major retailers didn’t get anywhere near their allocations. 3 out of 14 allocated with absolutely no promises on remainder..One only got the stock orders S400, strong lofts, no custom orders although their first two orders were custom.

2 rounds under my belt. Happy with the purchase so far. Three things I have found interesting:

1. My launch conditions, flight, spin have been about perfect FOR ME. I feel they are very accurate and I've enjoyed the distance control a great deal

2. They are a firmer feel, there is no doubt about it. It's not harsh, but if you like the Mizuno feel, do not buy these irons.

3. The turf interaction has been outstanding. These have very thin soles in the long/mid irons and a thin heel in the short irons. As Rory has stated, he wants a thin sole as he feels it allows the club to get back out of the turf quickly. I will never hit a mid or thick soled iron again (or at least until I'm playing hit and giggle) and I have zero digging concerns.

• Like 2

If anyone actually thought they were getting Tiger's exact spec irons ... lol please.

I just hope golf companies can learn from this: take a pro, copy his club specs, make a limited set and profit. So sick of offset, game improvement BS, more yards, blah blah blah ... you know all of the stuff 99.9% of the pros don't use from 5i and down.

> @denvergolf said:

> 2 rounds under my belt. Happy with the purchase so far. Three things I have found interesting:

> 1. My launch conditions, flight, spin have been about perfect FOR ME. I feel they are very accurate and I've enjoyed the distance control a great deal

> 2. They are a firmer feel, there is no doubt about it. It's not harsh, but if you like the Mizuno feel, do not buy these irons.

> 3. The turf interaction has been outstanding. These have very thin soles in the long/mid irons and a thin heel in the short irons. As Rory has stated, he wants a thin sole as he feels it allows the club to get back out of the turf quickly. I will never hit a mid or thick soled iron again (or at least until I'm playing hit and giggle) and I have zero digging concerns.

On the topic of the firmer feel, I've noticed that my Titleist 690MB has a firmer feel from the head compared to my Miura MC501 - does the P7TW feel like the 690MB?

Srixon Z785 w/ PX 6.0 HZRDUS yellow (S) shaft
Srizon F65 3w (15*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
Srixon Z U85 20* driving iron
Taylormade P7TW irons (3-PW) in S400 tour issue shafts
Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 wedges
Bettinardi Studio Stock 8 putter

> @bladehunter said:

> > @chiva said:

> > It’s another blade. Great. I just don’t understand to excitement about them. Yea, they are great clubs. So are the Callaways, Titleists, Hogans, etc. Just another option.

>

> To be fair. That’s just not really how It works . You wouldn’t say “ the ap2 is just another player’s GI club”. Would you ? I don’t think so. You’d compare and contrast the differences between it and say the callaway apex pro , or the cobra forged tech cb or ping i210 etc. but I my self see those irons as just “ blunt wide soled irons with a muted dead feel and a couple plastic badges “. But I know there’s many differences between those choices.

>

> Same here. Many differences.

I played with blades for 30 years. Several different sets. To be honest, there really wasn’t much difference between the different sets. Sole grinds are different obviously. Most sets I played, the shaft weights and swing weights were fairly similar. And even nowadays there’s just not a whole lot of difference in the blades. I get it that there are subtle differences but not necessarily game changing differences now days. It’s great that people are excited about them because of the clubs Tiger Woods uses, but that’s not going to magically transform some 12 handicaper into a +2. I would imagine the feel and performance of the new Tiger Woods irons probably is not very different from my 1999 Hogan apexes that I played for many years. I’ll never find out though because I don’t play blades anymore. I still have about eight different sets in my basement and three of those sets are in the process of being mounted in display cabinets for decoration. Every once in a while I will take a couple of the blades and mess around at the range with them but always go back to my GI type irons. I’m sure the new Tiger Woods clubs are a great set of blades.

$$$$

> @ghoonk said:

> > @denvergolf said:

> > 2 rounds under my belt. Happy with the purchase so far. Three things I have found interesting:

> > 1. My launch conditions, flight, spin have been about perfect FOR ME. I feel they are very accurate and I've enjoyed the distance control a great deal

> > 2. They are a firmer feel, there is no doubt about it. It's not harsh, but if you like the Mizuno feel, do not buy these irons.

> > 3. The turf interaction has been outstanding. These have very thin soles in the long/mid irons and a thin heel in the short irons. As Rory has stated, he wants a thin sole as he feels it allows the club to get back out of the turf quickly. I will never hit a mid or thick soled iron again (or at least until I'm playing hit and giggle) and I have zero digging concerns.

>

> On the topic of the firmer feel, I've noticed that my Titleist 690MB has a firmer feel from the head compared to my Miura MC501 - does the P7TW feel like the 690MB?

That’s a good question and probably a fair comparison. I played some of my best golf with the 690.mb and I could see that comparison. The part that has surprised me are a few shots I didn’t feel I hit well based on feedback, that basically carried normal distance. I also liked the 680’s a lot and bladehunter’s fav the 681

• Like 3

> @denvergolf said:

> > @ghoonk said:

> > > @denvergolf said:

> > > 2 rounds under my belt. Happy with the purchase so far. Three things I have found interesting:

> > > 1. My launch conditions, flight, spin have been about perfect FOR ME. I feel they are very accurate and I've enjoyed the distance control a great deal

> > > 2. They are a firmer feel, there is no doubt about it. It's not harsh, but if you like the Mizuno feel, do not buy these irons.

> > > 3. The turf interaction has been outstanding. These have very thin soles in the long/mid irons and a thin heel in the short irons. As Rory has stated, he wants a thin sole as he feels it allows the club to get back out of the turf quickly. I will never hit a mid or thick soled iron again (or at least until I'm playing hit and giggle) and I have zero digging concerns.

> >

> > On the topic of the firmer feel, I've noticed that my Titleist 690MB has a firmer feel from the head compared to my Miura MC501 - does the P7TW feel like the 690MB?

>

> That’s a good question and probably a fair comparison. I played some of my best golf with the 690.mb and I could see that comparison. The part that has surprised me are a few shots I didn’t feel I hit well based on feedback, that basically carried normal distance. I also liked the 680’s a lot and bladehunter’s fav the 681

I never got myself acquainted with the 680 or 681. Both looked significantly smaller than the 690. The 680 looked harsh, and the 681 had a reputation for chrome flaking off, quality control issues, etc and on top of that they were quite hard to find in Singapore when I was playing golf there. I got the 690 off a friend, and also play the Srixon Pro 100. If anything, of all the blades I've played, the Cobra ProMB has the harshest/hardest feel (I have them shafted with PX6.0 shafts). Like you, most of my blade shots that hit thin tend to go around 80% of my intended distance

I'm hoping my TWs come in end of this week. Can't wait to find out if the hype was worth the wait

> @KeithM38 said:

> Has anyone been able to compare these to the Cobra MBs?

I'll let you know when I get my TW set. Should be here end of week or early next week.... i haven't hit anything harsher than my ProMBs so far, so let's see...

> @denvergolf said:

> 2 rounds under my belt. Happy with the purchase so far. Three things I have found interesting:

> 1. My launch conditions, flight, spin have been about perfect FOR ME. I feel they are very accurate and I've enjoyed the distance control a great deal

> 2. They are a firmer feel, there is no doubt about it. It's not harsh, but if you like the Mizuno feel, do not buy these irons.

> 3. The turf interaction has been outstanding. These have very thin soles in the long/mid irons and a thin heel in the short irons. As Rory has stated, he wants a thin sole as he feels it allows the club to get back out of the turf quickly. I will never hit a mid or thick soled iron again (or at least until I'm playing hit and giggle) and I have zero digging concerns.

Lol. It’s amazing how many people would probably strike the ball 100.z%. Better with a thin soled iron.

I myself went and played a GI iron all winter while it was wet ( the i500) and played it well. But. Once the turf firmed up I grew to not get along with the sole at all. So I swapped back and forth in practice with my titleist mb set and the difference is night and day. The i500 is much harder to hit flush and even the long irons were better by allot with the MB. Yesterday’s round solidified that in my mind. My days of experimenting with wide soled nonsense is over.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> That reads like a fake vs real Cameron putter comparison.

Lol. Somebody needs to go read a fake Cameron thread. Comparison pics , mushrooming of the stamp explanation , and mill mark discussion. It’s 100 -% the same. Lol how do you disagree with that ? I’ll just take it as a you don’t like that it’s true .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Mizzy was soft until I hit Bridgestone J15CBs. Those irons make my MP-53 not feel soft... Solid and deep with a softness but not Endo forging SOFT.

Now if the P7-TW aren't even as soft as Mizuno... That could be considered crisp and firm. Exactly how I would describe Titleist MBs. Great performer, but a pass on feel.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

> @jonn443 said:

> Mizzy was soft until I hit Bridgestone J15CBs. Those irons make my MP-53 not feel soft... Solid and deep with a softness but not Endo forging SOFT.

>

> Now if the P7-TW aren't even as soft as Mizuno... That could be considered crisp and firm. Exactly how I would describe Titleist MBs. Great performer, but a pass on feel.

See. That’s all true. But I would prefer the titleist feel. You know when you miss them , even a small touch. Feedback is key.

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @speeder757 said:

> > @ghoonk said:

> > > @KeithM38 said:

> > > Has anyone been able to compare these to the Cobra MBs?

> >

> > I'll let you know when I get my TW set. Should be here end of week or early next week.... i haven't hit anything harsher than my ProMBs so far, so let's see...

>

> Harsher? The Cobra MB's are like butter

I agree, never heard cobras described as harsh

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

> @FullOfBrushMan said:

> If anyone actually thought they were getting Tiger's exact spec irons ... lol please.

> I just hope golf companies can learn from this: take a pro, copy his club specs, make a limited set and profit. So sick of offset, game improvement BS, more yards, blah blah blah ... you know all of the stuff 99.9% of the pros don't use from 5i and down.

Dont forget the girl shafts they put in clubs today.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7eltenknnyrx.jpeg

Hit a 7 iron at fitting today. 3 solid shot that felt so good. Nothing I ever felt before. Ball flight was just so good.

149yd carry with 7700ish spin on it. Trajectory was dead straight and the ball seems continue to go up to heaven.

100 driver ss here just as disclosure.

Blade length seems long enough

Top line is just nothing but perfect. Nothing scary.

Didnt feel too heavy with s400 on it.

• Like 1

> @bluejeeprubi said:

> > @speeder757 said:

> > > @ghoonk said:

> > > > @KeithM38 said:

> > > > Has anyone been able to compare these to the Cobra MBs?

> > >

> > > I'll let you know when I get my TW set. Should be here end of week or early next week.... i haven't hit anything harsher than my ProMBs so far, so let's see...

> >

> > Harsher? The Cobra MB's are like butter

>

> I agree, never heard cobras described as harsh

>

>

They aren't nasty, but compared to my TM RAC MB, Miura MB5003, MC501, Srixon Pro 100, and Titleist 690MB, they are the harshest set I have.

In terms of softness, I'd rank them from soft to hard as follows:

Miura MC501

Miura MB5003

Srixon Pro 100

Titleist 690MB

TM RAC MB

Cobra ProMB