2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Interesting development - $3000 pay to caddy from a $1.3 million winners check? (MOD EDIT - NO POLIT

Again one of the top players in the world offers you a 3-4 weeks salary ($3,000) to carry his bag for 4 days. Who are you to say no? Kuch knew it was a cheap move and then bumped it to $5,000 when he won......

Seems pretty obvious to me that he screwed the guy.

Should have made it right when he won (and I bet as said before that $30,000 and no one says diddly.

1) IF they agreed on 3g and Kuch gave him 5g that’s a nice % increase (alternate view)

2) no way if he paid 30g an it came out that some of the same people wouldn’t be saying he screwed the caddy by not giving 10%

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetical Question

Lets say you work on a small sales team. Yearly bonus is a percentage of your total haul for the year. One guy puts in almost a full year but due to a family emergency has to relocate and leaves the company before bonuses are paid out. New guy quickly joins, same compensation plan, right before the bonus is typically dispersed. This is a sales job so the commission is a huge part of the total comp.

Does new guy get a full bonus or some prorated amount?

Again one of the top players in the world offers you a 3-4 weeks salary ($3,000) to carry his bag for 4 days. Who are you to say no? Kuch knew it was a cheap move and then bumped it to $5,000 when he won......

Seems pretty obvious to me that he screwed the guy.

Should have made it right when he won (and I bet as said before that $30,000 and no one says diddly.

1) IF they agreed on 3g and Kuch gave him 5g that’s a nice % increase (alternate view)

2) no way if he paid 30g an it came out that some of the same people wouldn’t be saying he screwed the caddy by not giving 10%

I think you've been closer to the situation than anybody and have unique perspective.

What would you give in the guy and what, in your estimation, would most players have given in this exact situation?

Hypothetical Question

Lets say you work on a small sales team. Yearly bonus is a percentage of your total haul for the year. One guy puts in almost a full year but due to a family emergency has to relocate and leaves the company before bonuses are paid out. New guy quickly joins, same compensation plan, right before the bonus is typically dispersed. This is a sales job so the commission is a huge part of the total comp.

Even Gillis isn't calling for 10%. People are indeed calling for a "prorated amount", not the "full bonus".

Pretty much everyone has said the Mexican caddie doesn't deserve what Kuchar's normal, full time caddie would receive.

But, more than ~$5,000 seems appropriate. $5,000 is only around .38% of the gross winnings. Not even 1%.

Most people think something like $30,000-$50,000 would be appropriate, which would be 3-4%. Still way below the 10% his normal caddie may receive in this case.

Hypothetical Question

Even Gillis isn't calling for 10%. People are indeed calling for a "prorated amount", not the "full bonus".

Pretty much everyone has said the Mexican caddie doesn't deserve what Kuchar's normal, full time caddie would receive.

But, more than ~$5,000 seems appropriate. $5,000 is only around .38% of the gross winnings. Not even 1%.

Most people think something like $30,000-$50,000 would be appropriate, which would be 3-4%. Still way below the 10% his normal caddie may receive in this case.

New.

Fresh.

Enlightening.

Would definitely read again.

Hypothetical Question

New.

Fresh.

Enlightening.

I read this part in the voice of a perfume commercial. Made me laugh.

Hypothetical Question

New.

Fresh.

Enlightening.

I read this part in the voice of a perfume commercial. Made me laugh.

You did?

Thats interesting ; )

Hypothetical Question

A caddy is a full time job, these guys work year round, Toucan Sam carried a bag for 4 days. 3-4% much much more than an equivalent pro-rated amount

After the final round, Kuchar probably asked the caddie what would be appropriate.....Caddie knew he wasn't a full time PGA caddie and figured 5% would be a fair number. 5% of 1.26M is $63,000. Caddie said " How about 60K boss ?" Such shook his hand and said "Done !" and promptly paid the caddie 60K pesos.

When Kuch was asked if he paid his caddie $3000.00, he replied I paid more which is true ( 60,000 pesos is $3175.00 )!

* Now I know why Kuch always has that sh*t eating grin.

Hypothetical Question

A caddy is a full time job, these guys work year round, Toucan Sam carried a bag for 4 days. 3-4% much much more than an equivalent pro-rated amount

Most caddies receive a base salary. That would be a more appropriate thing to talk about pro-rating.

But the traditional 10% (commission) for a win is a bonus based largely on that week alone. Obviously.

Since he isn't the regular caddie everyone can understand it being reduced. But to .38%? Come on man.

Kuchar even said at the time: “He was definitely my lucky charm,” “He brought me good luck and certainly some extra crowd support and did a great job as well. He did just what I was hoping for and looking for.”

If you just won $1.296 million, you'd feel good about giving your caddy a ~$2,000 bonus on top of the $3,000 base? Okay, that's you. Most would give more.

I haven't posted in this today because there's so only so much one can go in circles....but did we actually find out anything new?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Now you are 1) Putting words in my mouth and 2)Assuming all the speculation is verifiable fact.

What is a top 100 caddy base salary?

Not sure, but from your posts and the "scenario" you presented, I thought you were assuming for the sake of argument that the story of Kuchar only paying $3-5k was true.

Otherwise, why present your scenario about pro-rating. Wasn't that supposed to be an attempt at justifying the much lower wage/bonus for the caddy?

What Kuchar actually paid is still a question mark, yes. But assuming he did only give the caddie $3-5k, that is a super low payment by any standard. Just look at the comments from other PGA Tour players and caddies on Twitter if you want some opinions from those who are knowledgeable on caddie pay.

e.g.:

"Listen ! I never said a name and today is the first I heard the rumors of what Kuch paid his man. I would bet they are false. The guy made 1.3 million. There’s no way he just paid him the rumored amount. If so, well then that’s just so very wrong. I pray it’s not the truth." ---- Kip Henley, caddie for Austin Cooks

I haven't posted in this today because there's so only so much one can go in circles....but did we actually find out anything new?

Prepare to be disappointed if you came here to ask that question.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Hypothetical Question

Those 4 days resulted in

Kuchs first win in 4 years.

This caddie was selected and recommended to Moocher by the tournament director.

Mooch won 1.2MM and praised his knowledge of the course.

What do you think is fair on 1.2MM ?

Wait, did I spell kooch wrong?

; )

Now you are 1) Putting words in my mouth and 2)Assuming all the speculation is verifiable fact.

Not sure, but from your posts and the "scenario" you presented, I thought you were assuming for the sake of argument that the story of Kuchar only paying $3-5k was true.

Otherwise, why present your scenario about pro-rating. Wasn't that supposed to be an attempt at justifying the much lower wage/bonus for the caddy?

What Kuchar actually paid is still a question mark, yes. But assuming he did only give the caddie $3-5k, that is a super low payment by any standard. Just look at the comments from other PGA Tour players and caddies on Twitter if you want some opinions from those who are knowledgeable on caddie pay.

e.g.:

"Listen ! I never said a name and today is the first I heard the rumors of what Kuch paid his man. I would bet they are false. The guy made 1.3 million. There’s no way he just paid him the rumored amount. If so, well then that’s just so very wrong. I pray it’s not the truth." ---- Kip Henley, caddie for Austin Cooks

Because I don't quite get the reasoning that even if it wasn't the full 10%, that it should instead be upwards of 3-5%, which is a significant amount of cash for relatively little work vs what a real caddy typically contributes to a players full time schedule. I personally see the 10% payout for a win as an bonus for contributing to the other 30+ weeks that a typical tour player is on the road.

Perhaps all tour caddies should put all their winnings into a shared pot and split it equally the way servers do.

Hypothetical Question

Those 4 days resulted in

Kuchs first win in 4 years.

This caddie was selected and recommended to Moocher by the tournament director.

Mooch won 1.2MM and praised his knowledge of the course.

What do you think is fair on 1.2MM ?

Wait, did I spell kooch wrong?

; )

4 days is 4 days.

Kuch just won again

So perhaps his hard work, Is finally coming to fruition

Perhaps kuch is just a nice guy and making for good PR praising the local

Does spacing things this way make my posts more dramatic of insightful?

e.g.:

Because I don't quite get the reasoning that even if it wasn't the full 10%, that it should instead be upwards of 3-5%, which is a significant amount of cash for relatively little work vs what a real caddy typically contributes to a players full time schedule. I personally see the 10% payout for a win as an bonus for contributing to the other 30+ weeks that a typical tour player is on the road.

Perhaps all tour caddies should put all their winnings into a shared pot and split it equally the way servers do.

Well what do you think would have been a fair amount? Do you think $3-5k is a fair amount?

I agree with you the 10% bonus should be rewarded to full time caddies only. Even Gillis said that. I can also understand if you think 3-5% is too much.

But how about 2%? 2 percent would still be $26,000...

Gillis reminds me of a couple of guys I went to high school with. Always chirpin' about stuff that was none of their business. They spent quite a bit of time bumping in to stuff and getting bruised up. They didn't really care that much about dodgeball either.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

e.g.:

Well what do you think would have been a fair amount? Do you think $3-5k is a fair amount?

I agree with you the 10% bonus should be rewarded to full time caddies only. Even Gillis said that. I can also understand if you think 3-5% is too much.

I don't think it needs to be a fixed percentage at all. It's one time contract work, I don't see why a flat fee is unreasonable. Whatever they agreed upon before the tournament started is between them, two consenting adults engaging in a business agreement.

Hypothetical Question

New guy gets told at hiring , his bonus eligibility starts jan 1. 90 days probationary , and we’re In an at will state. So get off to a good start.

All that being said , I’ve only ever fired 1 person . For actual robbery.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

e.g.:

I don't think it needs to be a fixed percentage at all. It's one time contract work, I don't see why a flat fee is unreasonable. Whatever they agreed upon before the tournament started is between them, two consenting adults engaging in a business agreement.

If you were in Kuchar's position, what total dollar amount do you think is fair?

Do you think $3k to $5k is fair?

Matt Kuchar might have thought he was being very smart but this has turned around and bit him on the a** . It is very bad publicity for him and something that will stick for a while if not forever .

You can be cheap but you cannot be down right mean .

I really doubt if anything in his life changes one bit.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.