2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Will Phil play the champions tour next year?

KRAMER1997

> @Ferguson said:

> > @"Dr. Block" said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @kcsf said:

> > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > @MattyO1984 said:

> > > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > Phil will continue to play the regular tour in order to keep the focus on himself. It will be brought up at every tourney and he will keep insisting, "I can still compete with these guys." Then he'll try to prove it and fall on his face.

> > > > > > > Bad decisions and bad judgments have defined his career.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Phil has been chasing an image his entire career when he should have been chasing new goals. Now, don't get me wrong, he has had a fantastic career and will finish at roughly 17th on the all-time best list. However, as for the reason for never achieving #1 - he was blinded by a bloated sense of self that resulted in multiple poor decisions at critical times, and that continues to this very day. The putting incident at the US Open a few years back comes to mind. Only a self-absorbed person would do such a thing. And nothing bugs me more when, during golf coverage of a different player while discussing the player's options for a tough shot, Bones references what Phil would do with the shot.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Then you look at a guy such as Viktor Hovland who conducted himself as a gentleman at the US Open. I am embarrassed for Phil sometimes. To me he has wasted a tremendous amount of time and expended a lot of energy trying too hard to live up to an image.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Cultivating that image (whether it is genuine or fake) can hardly be described as a waste of time. I’ve not seen his bank balance but his image has earned him an awful lot more money than his golf game has which is saying something when he has won $109 Million on the course.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Herein lies a problem:

> > > > >

> > > > > You are looking in from the outside equating Phil's success only to "dollars earned."

> > > > > Yes, his earnings are large and impressive. Phil is a very rich guy and he's been a rich guy for a long time - that's a given.

> > > > > My point - there is not much difference in having a net worth 50M or 60M.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Phil "chose" to take the career path of money.

> > > > > Phil "chose" to be the ATM machine of golf advertising.

> > > > > Phil "chose" to the poster boy for "missed opportunities" at the US open.

> > > > > Phil "chose" to participate with insider trading.

> > > > >

> > > > > Lastly, Phil “chose” to define his life by his earning potential, not winning.

> > > > > (This is a darn shame because he could have won 10 majors if his head was in the right place).

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > These choices lead me to believe his personality is flawed in terms of the image he portrays as related to what he thinks a winner looks like to others.

> > > > > I'm not saying he's a loser. I am just saying his guiding light has not been winning for the joy of winning.

> > > > > Phil lives in the same zip code as Greg Norman.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Then, take a guy like Jack - he'd be a winner rich or poor.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Great dinosaur argument Ferg. Jack played against a much smaller field week-to-week, with a much less overall levelness of competition as Phil has in his career. That is indisputable. Phil is a top 10 player of all time, hardly the choker you make him out to be.

> > > >

> > > > Also, Phil is less of a human because he chose to market himself away from golf? This is bad how? I haven't always been the biggest Phil phan, but beside a shady stock deal he's pretty darn spotless and the stories of him treating the general public with respect and humility is well known. You know how your hero Jack is perceived? I've heard a minimum of 4 stories regarding Jack where he was dismissive, arrogant, and wouldn't give your average Joe the time of day. Two were playing partners in pro-ams, and the other two sat at his table at a function. I understand my anecdotal examples aren't worship, but I know who I'd prefer to share a meal with.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Dinosaur – don’t quite understand the reference?

> > >

> > >

> > > My reference to Jack had nothing to do with the size of field or his competition in terms of golf. I simply said Jack was a winner, regardless of his financial status. I mean that.

> > > He played many sports but selected golf as his life’s true passion and vocation (aside from his family). Jack is a winner at life.

> > >

> > >

> > > I never said Phil was less of a human. I don’t even recall thinking such a thing. I don’t know what being less of a human even means.

> > > Partially undomesticated????

> > >

> > >

> > > Phil is a NOT a top 10 player of all time. That topic has been reviewed on multiple occasions and most of the posting scholars around this forum (and surveys found online) agree Phil belongs somewhere in the 15-20 range.

> > >

> > >

> > > Yes, Jack is dismissive and arrogant. Winners tend to have that edge to their personality.

> > >

> > >

> > > Jack's actions seem genuine and from the heart.

> > > Phil's actions seem artificial, almost like a thespian performance.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > The key word I take from that is "seem". If Phil's actions seem artificial to you, and many here (including myself) have provided real life instances where his actions absolutely weren't (and for me, they were in fact very genuine), should you be allowed to continue your slander campaign?

> >

> > You seem like a logical and calculated thinker to me, but you depart that course when you pass your judgement's on Phil - nearly every time.

> >

> >

>

>

>

> And you're smart enough to understand this is anything but slanderous.

>

It's tired my friend. You give me many chuckles on here, but I'm gonna continue to play editor and call Libel when you catch one of your Phil gears.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @MattyO1984 said:

> > > > > Phil will continue to play the regular tour in order to keep the focus on himself. It will be brought up at every tourney and he will keep insisting, "I can still compete with these guys." Then he'll try to prove it and fall on his face.

> > > > > Bad decisions and bad judgments have defined his career.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Phil has been chasing an image his entire career when he should have been chasing new goals. Now, don't get me wrong, he has had a fantastic career and will finish at roughly 17th on the all-time best list. However, as for the reason for never achieving #1 - he was blinded by a bloated sense of self that resulted in multiple poor decisions at critical times, and that continues to this very day. The putting incident at the US Open a few years back comes to mind. Only a self-absorbed person would do such a thing. And nothing bugs me more when, during golf coverage of a different player while discussing the player's options for a tough shot, Bones references what Phil would do with the shot.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Then you look at a guy such as Viktor Hovland who conducted himself as a gentleman at the US Open. I am embarrassed for Phil sometimes. To me he has wasted a tremendous amount of time and expended a lot of energy trying too hard to live up to an image.

> > > >

> > > > Cultivating that image (whether it is genuine or fake) can hardly be described as a waste of time. I’ve not seen his bank balance but his image has earned him an awful lot more money than his golf game has which is saying something when he has won $109 Million on the course.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Herein lies a problem:

> > >

> > > You are looking in from the outside equating Phil's success only to "dollars earned."

> > > Yes, his earnings are large and impressive. Phil is a very rich guy and he's been a rich guy for a long time - that's a given.

> > > My point - there is not much difference in having a net worth 50M or 60M.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Phil "chose" to take the career path of money.

> > > Phil "chose" to be the ATM machine of golf advertising.

> > > Phil "chose" to the poster boy for "missed opportunities" at the US open.

> > > Phil "chose" to participate with insider trading.

> > >

> > > Lastly, Phil “chose” to define his life by his earning potential, not winning.

> > > (This is a darn shame because he could have won 10 majors if his head was in the right place).

> > >

> > >

> > > These choices lead me to believe his personality is flawed in terms of the image he portrays as related to what he thinks a winner looks like to others.

> > > I'm not saying he's a loser. I am just saying his guiding light has not been winning for the joy of winning.

> > > Phil lives in the same zip code as Greg Norman.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Then, take a guy like Jack - he'd be a winner rich or poor.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > imagine how rich he would be if he charged you rent for living for free in your head all these years. The mental gymnastics you pull when it comes to crapping on phil is mighty impressive. Phil was never going to be Tiger so saying "he chose" is nonsense.guy is obsessed with winning hes simply not as good as this generations best player. Hes still grinding it out in fall events no less, it aint for the cash...

>

>

> Think of it like trading equities.

>

> Some people like to post and go long. I am short seller of Phil.

>

>

Valuation play? Or structurally short?

> @The7thLetter said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @lowheel said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > @MattyO1984 said:

> > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > Phil will continue to play the regular tour in order to keep the focus on himself. It will be brought up at every tourney and he will keep insisting, "I can still compete with these guys." Then he'll try to prove it and fall on his face.

> > > > > > Bad decisions and bad judgments have defined his career.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Phil has been chasing an image his entire career when he should have been chasing new goals. Now, don't get me wrong, he has had a fantastic career and will finish at roughly 17th on the all-time best list. However, as for the reason for never achieving #1 - he was blinded by a bloated sense of self that resulted in multiple poor decisions at critical times, and that continues to this very day. The putting incident at the US Open a few years back comes to mind. Only a self-absorbed person would do such a thing. And nothing bugs me more when, during golf coverage of a different player while discussing the player's options for a tough shot, Bones references what Phil would do with the shot.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Then you look at a guy such as Viktor Hovland who conducted himself as a gentleman at the US Open. I am embarrassed for Phil sometimes. To me he has wasted a tremendous amount of time and expended a lot of energy trying too hard to live up to an image.

> > > > >

> > > > > Cultivating that image (whether it is genuine or fake) can hardly be described as a waste of time. I’ve not seen his bank balance but his image has earned him an awful lot more money than his golf game has which is saying something when he has won $109 Million on the course.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Herein lies a problem:

> > > >

> > > > You are looking in from the outside equating Phil's success only to "dollars earned."

> > > > Yes, his earnings are large and impressive. Phil is a very rich guy and he's been a rich guy for a long time - that's a given.

> > > > My point - there is not much difference in having a net worth 50M or 60M.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Phil "chose" to take the career path of money.

> > > > Phil "chose" to be the ATM machine of golf advertising.

> > > > Phil "chose" to the poster boy for "missed opportunities" at the US open.

> > > > Phil "chose" to participate with insider trading.

> > > >

> > > > Lastly, Phil “chose” to define his life by his earning potential, not winning.

> > > > (This is a darn shame because he could have won 10 majors if his head was in the right place).

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > These choices lead me to believe his personality is flawed in terms of the image he portrays as related to what he thinks a winner looks like to others.

> > > > I'm not saying he's a loser. I am just saying his guiding light has not been winning for the joy of winning.

> > > > Phil lives in the same zip code as Greg Norman.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Then, take a guy like Jack - he'd be a winner rich or poor.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > imagine how rich he would be if he charged you rent for living for free in your head all these years. The mental gymnastics you pull when it comes to crapping on phil is mighty impressive. Phil was never going to be Tiger so saying "he chose" is nonsense.guy is obsessed with winning hes simply not as good as this generations best player. Hes still grinding it out in fall events no less, it aint for the cash...

> >

> >

> > Think of it like trading equities.

> >

> > Some people like to post and go long. I am short seller of Phil.

> >

> >

>

> Valuation play? Or structurally short?

Structurally short.

"Phil" is in decline (not a free fall).

> @Ferguson said:

> > @The7thLetter said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > @MattyO1984 said:

> > > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > Phil will continue to play the regular tour in order to keep the focus on himself. It will be brought up at every tourney and he will keep insisting, "I can still compete with these guys." Then he'll try to prove it and fall on his face.

> > > > > > > Bad decisions and bad judgments have defined his career.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Phil has been chasing an image his entire career when he should have been chasing new goals. Now, don't get me wrong, he has had a fantastic career and will finish at roughly 17th on the all-time best list. However, as for the reason for never achieving #1 - he was blinded by a bloated sense of self that resulted in multiple poor decisions at critical times, and that continues to this very day. The putting incident at the US Open a few years back comes to mind. Only a self-absorbed person would do such a thing. And nothing bugs me more when, during golf coverage of a different player while discussing the player's options for a tough shot, Bones references what Phil would do with the shot.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Then you look at a guy such as Viktor Hovland who conducted himself as a gentleman at the US Open. I am embarrassed for Phil sometimes. To me he has wasted a tremendous amount of time and expended a lot of energy trying too hard to live up to an image.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Cultivating that image (whether it is genuine or fake) can hardly be described as a waste of time. I’ve not seen his bank balance but his image has earned him an awful lot more money than his golf game has which is saying something when he has won $109 Million on the course.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Herein lies a problem:

> > > > >

> > > > > You are looking in from the outside equating Phil's success only to "dollars earned."

> > > > > Yes, his earnings are large and impressive. Phil is a very rich guy and he's been a rich guy for a long time - that's a given.

> > > > > My point - there is not much difference in having a net worth 50M or 60M.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Phil "chose" to take the career path of money.

> > > > > Phil "chose" to be the ATM machine of golf advertising.

> > > > > Phil "chose" to the poster boy for "missed opportunities" at the US open.

> > > > > Phil "chose" to participate with insider trading.

> > > > >

> > > > > Lastly, Phil “chose” to define his life by his earning potential, not winning.

> > > > > (This is a darn shame because he could have won 10 majors if his head was in the right place).

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > These choices lead me to believe his personality is flawed in terms of the image he portrays as related to what he thinks a winner looks like to others.

> > > > > I'm not saying he's a loser. I am just saying his guiding light has not been winning for the joy of winning.

> > > > > Phil lives in the same zip code as Greg Norman.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Then, take a guy like Jack - he'd be a winner rich or poor.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > imagine how rich he would be if he charged you rent for living for free in your head all these years. The mental gymnastics you pull when it comes to crapping on phil is mighty impressive. Phil was never going to be Tiger so saying "he chose" is nonsense.guy is obsessed with winning hes simply not as good as this generations best player. Hes still grinding it out in fall events no less, it aint for the cash...

> > >

> > >

> > > Think of it like trading equities.

> > >

> > > Some people like to post and go long. I am short seller of Phil.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Valuation play? Or structurally short?

>

>

> Structurally short.

>

> "Phil" is in decline (not a free fall).

Phil is like IBM; once great, still decent and universally recognized, but passed by new entrants. The question is when he will look like Sears or Kodak.

> @elon235 said:

> Love Phil. Thanks to him us lefty’s actually have a decent amount of clubs to choose from. I think he will play well on the PGA tour for another 5 years and he will want the feeling of being in contention in the majors so I see him Playing in all the CT majors with a chance to win multiple per year.

I don't know this guy "himus" you're talking about.

Was he a pioneer in left-handed clubs?

> @Ferguson said:

> > @elon235 said:

> > Love Phil. Thanks to him us lefty’s actually have a decent amount of clubs to choose from. I think he will play well on the PGA tour for another 5 years and he will want the feeling of being in contention in the majors so I see him Playing in all the CT majors with a chance to win multiple per year.

>

>

>

> I don't know this guy "himus" you're talking about.

> Was he a pioneer in left-handed clubs?

Figjam R Himus, Esq

Early 21st century bon vivant and advocate of arthritis creams and men’s couture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

> @cdnglf said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @elon235 said:

> > > Love Phil. Thanks to him us lefty’s actually have a decent amount of clubs to choose from. I think he will play well on the PGA tour for another 5 years and he will want the feeling of being in contention in the majors so I see him Playing in all the CT majors with a chance to win multiple per year.

> >

> >

> >

> > I don't know this guy "himus" you're talking about.

> > Was he a pioneer in left-handed clubs?

>

> Figjam R Himus, Esq

>

> Early 21st century bon vivant and advocate of arthritis creams and men’s couture.

Yes, yes, now I recall. Himus possessed what one would call a curious nature in terms of neoteric textile design, especially for bearded men of highly caffeinated attitudes. At the tender age of 11, he ran flagship testing for men's cuffed pants. He felt a higher cuff length should be proportional to the length of the calf and not to that of the pant's inseam. The taller the man's calf, the taller the cuff. It was revolutionary.

I have a bad feeling that Phil may be entering a sharp decline in his playing skills. Yes he is a free swinger and has stayed relatively injury free, but he and Webb Simpson are the only players I can think of who have made significant careers out of such an open and unstable clubface in their golf swings. It takes a ton of hand eye coordination to make that work and eventually that coordination is retired to the sands of time.

What's worse is if that happens and Phil decides to dedicate himself more to business then the golfing world, Ferguson will have to conjure a new enemy for his absurdist adversarial comedic stylings.

> @cdnglf said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @elon235 said:

> > > Love Phil. Thanks to him us lefty’s actually have a decent amount of clubs to choose from. I think he will play well on the PGA tour for another 5 years and he will want the feeling of being in contention in the majors so I see him Playing in all the CT majors with a chance to win multiple per year.

> >

> >

> >

> > I don't know this guy "himus" you're talking about.

> > Was he a pioneer in left-handed clubs?

>

> Figjam R Himus, Esq

>

> Early 21st century bon vivant and advocate of arthritis creams and men’s couture.

I can see Phil doing commercials for Blue Emu in the near future.

Phil will find his way on the CT eventually, just maybe not for a few years. Once his PGA Tour time is up, there's too much money left on the table with the CT. These guys make tons of money on and off the course during their tour career when you're as successful as Phil is, but there are always new toys to be had and bills and taxes to pay. Just like now, it's not just on-course earnings, there are still sponsorships and endorsements to be had. If you're not on the PGA Tour, how are you going to maintain these endorsement deals?

Show up, play, get paid....and some of the CT events don't actually pay too badly anyways.

thx for response on phil being qualified for senior majors........... i will read the rules link that was posted..... will he be eligible for senior majors if his pga rank is terrible? i.e. past major winner, huge prize $$$$ on main tour etc. etc.. i think i read somewhere that palmer and nicklaus are still way up the pga starter list (until arnie died, of course) based on past play.

i wonder how phil would do in seniors events........ strikes me they play pretty wide open courses on the main senior tour. majors are prob different....... pga tour and canadian tour seem to be only 2 tours that play tight courses often. i could be wrong.

Phil finally wins a US Open in the next 5 years on the Champions Tour.

IMO Phil will play mostly on the big show and play the majors on the CT.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

> @marmooskapaul said:

> Phil doesn't have time for the CT...he's to busy riding his bike around in Ferguson's head!!

> @marmooskapaul said:

> Phil doesn't have time for the CT...he's to busy riding his bike around in Ferguson's head!!

LOL... and he's clearly left some skidmarks on Fergies brain :wink:

• Like 1

Phil will play the 2020 US Open at Winged Foot (assuming he's qualified), where he'll turn 50. Then play the next week, just up the road, at the US Senior Open at Newport Country Club in Rhode Island. That would be a Phil thing to do.

Outside of that, I don't see him playing anything on the PGA Tour Champions outside of the majors that fit his schedule.

Phil is in a similar position to Vijay, Couples, and Stricker when they turned 50. Still able to compete on the PGA Tour but not as often. I think he will play on both tours for a while just like those guys did. Eventually he'll see the light: that he is able to win consistently on the Champions Tour and that's just more fun.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

• 2 years later...
On 1/30/2019 at 4:14 PM, ea19 said:

I have to agree with Fergie that the gambling debt to a notorious Vegas character paid off via insider trading where the information came by way of blackmail is super sketchy.

If that had been a professional athlete from another sport (baseball, football, basketball) or a college basketball coach for instance - that drama would still be playing out.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/augusta-national-officials-not-want-182547622.html

It is catching up with him.  Looks like it will get worse before it gets better.

Cobra driver
TMade 3 & hybrid
Titleist AP2 Irons (4-PW)
Vokey wedges
Cleveland putter
Srixon ball