Jordan Speith worse drought is yet to come

Danny Choo

You two are too much. Name another journey man in the toilet ( your words ) who's setting the pace week after week. Sure. Alot of work to do. But you don't come out and make 5 birdies in the mud in 12 holes cause your binge drinking like Smylie. He's clearly working his butt off and begining to work it out. But I guess it's just " luck ". ? Lol

Even the days Spieth is scoring well he has an abnormally high number of head scratcher holes these days. Look at how he played 12 and 13 today and tell me that was intended. When it's occasional it's one thing. When it's every round you're just flirting with disaster.

I think this somewhat explains what happens to YJS over 4 days. He is constantly flirting with disaster and at some point it happens. Once it does he often has a couple of blow up doubles and is out of contention. I heard he is ranked something like 220th in strokes gained off the tee. Did you see some of those drives yesterday...awful for a former OWGR#1. He is driving it as crooked as Phil but 20 yards shorter. Ouch.

Not quite that bad, but almost. His driving accuracy and GIR are simply bad. He's only about 10 yards shorter than Phil, not 20, but if he's landing it in the rough that will make it worse for sure, not that Phil is a fairway machine, lol.

He has some things to sort out. I'd bet on the sorting out, though.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You two are too much. Name another journey man in the toilet ( your words ) who's setting the pace week after week. Sure. Alot of work to do. But you don't come out and make 5 birdies in the mud in 12 holes cause your binge drinking like Smylie. He's clearly working his butt off and begining to work it out. But I guess it's just " luck ". ? Lol

Even the days Spieth is scoring well he has an abnormally high number of head scratcher holes these days. Look at how he played 12 and 13 today and tell me that was intended. When it's occasional it's one thing. When it's every round you're just flirting with disaster.

I think this somewhat explains what happens to YJS over 4 days. He is constantly flirting with disaster and at some point it happens. Once it does he often has a couple of blow up doubles and is out of contention. I heard he is ranked something like 220th in strokes gained off the tee. Did you see some of those drives yesterday...awful for a former OWGR#1. He is driving it as crooked as Phil but 20 yards shorter. Ouch.

Not quite that bad, but almost. His driving accuracy and GIR are simply bad. He's only about 10 yards shorter than Phil, not 20, but if he's landing it in the rough that will make it worse for sure, not that Phil is a fairway machine, lol.

Phil SS is 7mph > than YJS which is almost 20 yards.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

A couple yesterday were 240 yard snap hooks. The same last week.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Phil SS is 7mph > than YJS which is almost 20 yards.

Okay.

I was going off their actual stats. Phil this year 10-11 yards longer. Last year 1 yard. Two years before that he was shorter than YJS.

It's not a perfect stat but there it is and we could go back and forth on why, but just raw swing speed tells less of the tale. Do I believe in a driving contest Phil would win on sheer distance? Depending on the day, more often than not, he can be really long, and I think he would, but over the course of a season they aren't all that far apart in their on course performance.

I like watching him play. He will find his way back - he has time on his side.

Probably... but past success is not a sure indicator of future success.

Watson won 8 majors...but the last at age 33

Arnie won 7...the last at age 34

Seve won 5...the last at age 33

Tiger won 14...the last-so far-at age 32

So it does happen. But the best example of what could happen to YJS

Ralph Guldahl...won 16 times on tour but none after age 28. And 3 majors but none after age 26. So he was YRG before YJS in an era arguably easier to win in and his career is eerily similar to what Spieth's worst scenario could be. That is not to say Spieth is done but he could be.

This is true. Or it could be that he is just getting started.

He could be like Phil who won five majors beginning at age 34.

Or VJ who won three majors beginning at age 35.

Or Ernie who won a major at 43.

Or Jack who won ten majors from age 30 through 46

Or Ben Hogan who won eight majors from age 34 to 41.

Which is exactly my point. Past success-or the lack thereof for that matter-does not necessarily portend the same in the future. A player can have have a relative lack of success and find it later...or start out fast and have it end....or start out fast and have it continue. But we never "know" what will come based on previous performance.

Agree.

I like watching him play. He will find his way back - he has time on his side.

Probably... but past success is not a sure indicator of future success.

Watson won 8 majors...but the last at age 33

Arnie won 7...the last at age 34

Seve won 5...the last at age 33

Tiger won 14...the last-so far-at age 32

So it does happen. But the best example of what could happen to YJS

Ralph Guldahl...won 16 times on tour but none after age 28. And 3 majors but none after age 26. So he was YRG before YJS in an era arguably easier to win in and his career is eerily similar to what Spieth's worst scenario could be. That is not to say Spieth is done but he could be.

This is true. Or it could be that he is just getting started.

He could be like Phil who won five majors beginning at age 34.

Or VJ who won three majors beginning at age 35.

Or Ernie who won a major at 43.

Or Jack who won ten majors from age 30 through 46

Or Ben Hogan who won eight majors from age 34 to 41.

Which is exactly my point. Past success-or the lack thereof for that matter-does not necessarily portend the same in the future. A player can have have a relative lack of success and find it later...or start out fast and have it end....or start out fast and have it continue. But we never "know" what will come based on previous performance.

Agree.

So what’s a better predictor ? Past or W.A.G. ?

No prediction is guaranteed accurate. But a past filled with high performance doesn’t lead anyone who’s not biased to suppose that it’s less likely to see that again vs an unknown. The good of his past far outweighs last year. So ? Bottom line is you don’t know any more than I do.

Choo ! What say ye?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Here is an interesting analysis.

Jack, by age 25, was winning at an 18% clip. At age 42 his career win rate was 18%

Tiger, by age 25, was winning at a 27% clip. At age 38 his career win rate was 27%.

Phil hit a cumulative win rate of 8.2% at age 25. At age 45 his career win rate was 8.1%.

Jordan, through last season at age 25 had a cumulative win rate of 7.7%. It would be easy to predict that he will end up around that number through his early to mid-forties.

Jack, by age 25, was winning at an 18% clip. At age 42 his career win rate was 18%

Tiger, by age 25, was winning at a 27% clip. At age 38 his career win rate was 27%.

Phil hit a cumulative win rate of 8.2% at age 25. At age 45 his career win rate was 8.1%.

Jordan, through last season at age 25 had a cumulative win rate of 7.7%. It would be easy to predict that he will end up around that number through his early to mid-forties.

Wouldn’t argue against that at all. You think Phil’s career is “ in the toilet “? Because that’s how he’s been described here with a win percentage statistically equal to Phil. A possible all time top 10 player depending on who’s list it is.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Wouldn't argue against that at all. You think Phil's career is " in the toilet "? Because that's how he's been described here with a win percentage statistically equal to Phil. A possible all time top 10 player depending on who's list it is.

There is one big difference. At this point Phil/Jack/Tiger have done it. They have earned spots on the all time lists. Jordan is "on pace" to do so but his pace currently is slowing down. Will he pick it back up? Probably. But not guaranteed.

Wouldn't argue against that at all. You think Phil's career is " in the toilet "? Because that's how he's been described here with a win percentage statistically equal to Phil. A possible all time top 10 player depending on who's list it is.

No, I don't. I think he is in a slump and will recover. He didn't win in 2018 after three wins in 2017. I think he will figure out what's wrong.

Rory hasn't won a major in almost five years, but Rory and Jordan will win more majors, IMHO. Neither will achieve a Jack or Tiger level. Maybe a Phil level.

There is one big difference. At this point Phil/Jack/Tiger have done it. They have earned spots on the all time lists. Jordan is "on pace" to do so but his pace currently is slowing down. Will he pick it back up? Probably. But not guaranteed.

There. We agree! That wasn’t so hard. The guy that started this thread however. He “ knows “. Loll

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So Spieth shot a nifty 64 and is in first.

I realize it's just one round, but this talk that YJS soon will not be able to compete in the A flight of his home club's member guest is a bit over the top.

No way!

BUT-based on current form that 64 shooter is about a +6 so net 70. Puts him about t16 in the D flight with Colleran and Co. :)

I missed the part where the PGA Tour handed out trophies to the first round leader. If that was the case, Ryan Palmer may have won more tournaments than Sam Snead.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

Jordan shot -7 bogey free 1st round.

Guys in a slump, guys who have the yips, guys who are having swing and ball striking issues don't shoot bogey free rounds at Riviera.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I missed the part where the PGA Tour handed out trophies to the first round leader. If that was the case, Ryan Palmer may have won more tournaments than Sam Snead.

Edited because I typed something not nice. Lol.

Have you read the original post of this thread ? Are you aligned with that ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Troll on bud. Troll on.

Give him some respect - he's an "MBA".

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Troll on bud. Troll on.

Lol. Damn your quick.

I just can’t understand how a guy who I do not argue is a smart guy , can’t see how silly this thread is from the first post on. Why he’d want to align himself With that idea. Then double down after someone has posted that he wins at a clip equal to Phil’s , he’s risen 40 some odd places in strokes gained putting this year , and he’s lead in the last two tournaments he’s played ( sure he also played a couple bad holes and shot him self out ). Then goes out and shoots 64 in the mud . This guy doubles down and still agrees that this kid will be outside the top 100 at the end of the year. I’m not sure that’s mathematically possible if he wd from every event. Lol.

No he’s hurt because spieths showing signs of improvement and the “ chicken wing lucky “ crowd will have to crawl back under their bridges.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Troll on bud. Troll on.

Lol. Damn your quick.

I just can't understand how a guy who I do not argue is a smart guy , can't see how silly this thread is from the first post on. Why he'd want to align himself With that idea. Then double down after someone has posted that he wins at a clip equal to Phil's , he's risen 40 some odd places in strokes gained putting this year , and he's lead in the last two tournaments he's played ( sure he also played a couple bad holes and shot him self out ). Then goes out and shoots 64 in the mud . This guy doubles down and still agrees that this kid will be outside the top 100 at the end of the year. I'm not sure that's mathematically possible if he wd from every event. Lol.

No he's hurt because spieths showing signs of improvement and the " chicken wing lucky " crowd will have to crawl back under their bridges.

He's already had a Hall of Fame level career with the three majors and 10 overall wins. He could have won two other Opens and two other Masters titles. Yeah, he's just "lucky". Tiger gave people an unrealistic view of how much a "great" player should win. He's a historical anomaly. Spieth is a historically great player by any measure, and he's only 25. Any argument to the contrary is just tortured trolling.

Troll on bud. Troll on.

Lol. Damn your quick.

I just can't understand how a guy who I do not argue is a smart guy , can't see how silly this thread is from the first post on. Why he'd want to align himself With that idea. Then double down after someone has posted that he wins at a clip equal to Phil's , he's risen 40 some odd places in strokes gained putting this year , and he's lead in the last two tournaments he's played ( sure he also played a couple bad holes and shot him self out ). Then goes out and shoots 64 in the mud . This guy doubles down and still agrees that this kid will be outside the top 100 at the end of the year. I'm not sure that's mathematically possible if he wd from every event. Lol.

No he's hurt because spieths showing signs of improvement and the " chicken wing lucky " crowd will have to crawl back under their bridges.

He's already had a Hall of Fame level career with the three majors and 10 overall wins. He could have won two other Opens and two other Masters titles. Yeah, he's just "lucky". Tiger gave people an unrealistic view of how much a "great" player should win. He's a historical anomaly. Spieth is a historically great player by any measure, and he's only 25. Any argument to the contrary is just tortured trolling.

Not one post said anything different as I recall. Year to date is different, and it goes back to the Open last year, 2019 season has t55, t45, t35 and two MC. But yes he has had a likely hall of fame career. If he never wins again is he in the hall? At the moment he is not playing like a deserving candidate. That is the discussion. Not his past but his current play. I would expect it to improve but we'll see.

I can lip read and pretty sure he mumbled "F U Choo Choo" coming off 18

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I can lip read and pretty sure he mumbled "F U Choo Choo" coming off 18

Loll. I’d split my side laughing if he did the “ im watching you choo “ during his post tournament presser.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Shilgy - “not one post said anything different as I recall “

Not really. The original post in this thread is a redonculous projection of unfiltered under bridge talk.

And then MBA let’s us know how bad it is to have a slump when he lets us know that the all time greats had skills that lasted forever. Somehow he missed Jacks short game yips , Putting around bunkers , and compete wedge game rebuild by Phil Rogers . His winless 79 season among several other slumps. And I guess Tiger never missed a beat. Lmao. Whatever man. This game is hard. Slumps are common. Almost inevitable. I can spot people saying he needs to pick it up. He needs to get his head right. He needs to refocus etc. that’s all very true. But there’s another set that have been loud since he came onto the scene. And the talk alwasy centers around how ugly the swing is and how lucky he has been to fall backward into those wins. They are the P-ositions swing gurus. Always P this and that. And the luck. I mean. It’s amazing. Lol.

As posted. Even with the slump he’s step for step winning percentage with Phil. Who may well get a us open and for sure will be called top ten all time. That’s ok in anybody’s book. The opposite most certainly has been said.

Not really shot at you. But at this thread in general

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Shilgy - “not one post said anything different as I recall “

Not really. The original post in this thread is a redonculous projection of unfiltered under bridge talk.

And then MBA let’s us know how bad it is to have a slump when he lets us know that the all time greats had skills that lasted forever. Somehow he missed Jacks short game yips , Putting around bunkers , and compete wedge game rebuild by Phil Rogers . His winless 79 season among several other slumps. And I guess Tiger never missed a beat. Lmao. Whatever man. This game is hard. Slumps are common. Almost inevitable. I can spot people saying he needs to pick it up. He needs to get his head right. He needs to refocus etc. that’s all very true. But there’s another set that have been loud since he came onto the scene. And the talk alwasy centers around how ugly the swing is and how lucky he has been to fall backward into those wins. They are the P-ositions swing gurus. Always P this and that. And the luck. I mean. It’s amazing. Lol.

As posted. Even with the slump he’s step for step winning percentage with Phil. Who may well get a us open and for sure will be called top ten all time. That’s ok in anybody’s book. The opposite most certainly has been said.

Take the shot. I've read he's already a hall of famer... If he is so is Padraig. And eyes would roll at that one and Harrington has had a better career. So what he "is" so far is a talented player with a great start to his career that has been struggling. He'll probably turn it around but the basic promise of the thread really is "what if he doesn't".

PS you don't like the thread because you like Spieth. But it's winter and it's wrx. Happens every year. A year ago it was Tiger is done.

Shilgy - "not one post said anything different as I recall "

And then MBA let's us know how bad it is to have a slump when he lets us know that the all time greats had skills that lasted forever. Somehow he missed Jacks short game yips , Putting around bunkers , and compete wedge game rebuild by Phil Rogers . His winless 79 season among several other slumps. And I guess Tiger never missed a beat. Lmao. Whatever man. This game is hard. Slumps are common. Almost inevitable. I can spot people saying he needs to pick it up. He needs to get his head right. He needs to refocus etc. that's all very true. But there's another set that have been loud since he came onto the scene. And the talk alwasy centers around how ugly the swing is and how lucky he has been to fall backward into those wins. They are the P-ositions swing gurus. Always P this and that. And the luck. I mean. It's amazing. Lol.

As posted. Even with the slump he's step for step winning percentage with Phil. Who may well get a us open and for sure will be called top ten all time. That's ok in anybody's book. The opposite most certainly has been said.

Take the shot. I've read he's already a hall of famer... If he is so is Padraig. And eyes would roll at that one and Harrington has had a better career. So what he "is" so far is a talented player with a great start to his career that has been struggling. He'll probably turn it around but the basic promise of the thread really is "what if he doesn't".

PS you don't like the thread because you like Spieth. But it's winter and it's wrx. Happens every year. A year ago it was Tiger is done.

He's virtually half Padraig's age. Give it a rest - you're embarrassing yourself. If Fred Couples is in the WGHoF, then Spieth is a lock.

Shilgy - "not one post said anything different as I recall "

And then MBA let's us know how bad it is to have a slump when he lets us know that the all time greats had skills that lasted forever. Somehow he missed Jacks short game yips , Putting around bunkers , and compete wedge game rebuild by Phil Rogers . His winless 79 season among several other slumps. And I guess Tiger never missed a beat. Lmao. Whatever man. This game is hard. Slumps are common. Almost inevitable. I can spot people saying he needs to pick it up. He needs to get his head right. He needs to refocus etc. that's all very true. But there's another set that have been loud since he came onto the scene. And the talk alwasy centers around how ugly the swing is and how lucky he has been to fall backward into those wins. They are the P-ositions swing gurus. Always P this and that. And the luck. I mean. It's amazing. Lol.

As posted. Even with the slump he's step for step winning percentage with Phil. Who may well get a us open and for sure will be called top ten all time. That's ok in anybody's book. The opposite most certainly has been said.

Padraig is already hall of famer so whats the insult inferred here?