Jordan Speith worse drought is yet to come

Danny Choo

I like watching him play. He will find his way back - he has time on his side.

Probably... but past success is not a sure indicator of future success.

Watson won 8 majors...but the last at age 33

Arnie won 7...the last at age 34

Seve won 5...the last at age 33

Tiger won 14...the last-so far-at age 32

So it does happen. But the best example of what could happen to YJS

Ralph Guldahl...won 16 times on tour but none after age 28. And 3 majors but none after age 26. So he was YRG before YJS in an era arguably easier to win in and his career is eerily similar to what Spieth's worst scenario could be. That is not to say Spieth is done but he could be.

You literally cant help yourself... ;)

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Spieth chicken wing thing is absolutely asinine. I've got to bite my tongue here so I dont start throwing insults. He and McCormick have both said SEVERAL times he does that to flight the ball + take spin off.

The kid is great at golf, he's having a hard time out there at the moment, lighten up. Most of the people criticizing him have probably never broken 80. Even if he doesn't win another major (which is a ridiculous statement) he's had a great career.

Ralph Guldahl...won 16 times on tour but none after age 28. And 3 majors but none after age 26. So he was YRG before YJS in an era arguably easier to win in and his career is eerily similar to what Spieth's worst scenario could be. That is not to say Spieth is done but he could be.

You literally cant help yourself... ;)

Hey-I said arguably! :)

PS your comment to Blade is a bit out of touch. Yes, the 1880's through the 1950's are definitely weaker than today. Any argument? The world of golf really became integrated starting in the 70's. So don't move my timeline to '97.

PSS I gave no prognostication on Spieth's career. Just stated what the worst scenario could be based on precedent.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Easier ? Wth ?

I think you read it backwards. Guldahl's era was easier. Any argument?

Easier ? Wth ?

I think you read it backwards. Guldahl's era was easier. Any argument?

Yep. Appears I did. I need a break. This damn weather is nuts. If the sun comes out ,I Have to work. And it rains every damn weekend. Made 5 holes last Sunday and played good. Then it started to sleet.

And I know our friends in the North can’t play at all. I don’t know how they live like that. I’d probably stop all fun and just become some sort of a hermit. Eat bark and drink melted snow. Makes it worse is I’m doing 20 minute tasks then waiting for things to dry etc so I’ve got time to argue here. Mind altering experience

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It is very sad that some has turn a blind eye to Speith down hill spiral. Speith right now is not good and will be for a while. Not a personal attack on the guy but stop turning a blind eye. This is not someone struggling, this is a guy who is lost

No, lost is Smylie Kaufmann(sp?) Jordan isn't hitting it great, and he hasn't been consistently putting well. He is far from lost.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

This is true. Or it could be that he is just getting started.

He could be like Phil who won five majors beginning at age 34.

Or VJ who won three majors beginning at age 35.

Or Ernie who won a major at 43.

Or Jack who won ten majors from age 30 through 46

Or Ben Hogan who won eight majors from age 34 to 41.

why is this still a thread? Who is the OP? Patrick Reed, is that you? Betting against Speith is a really dumb thing to do. This guy is a cerebral assassin. Im calling him winning a major this year?

Falling out of the Top 100? Bro, get back on your medication.

People say "cerebral assassin" a lot - but for a guy who makes dumb decisions to hit 3w at Carnoustie, or a 6i at Pebble Beach - it doesn't stack up anymore.

well, he didn't slip on a banana peel and fall into 3 majors :)

Of course he played extremely well to get them, and maybe in 2015 he was a cerebral assassin.

But now, that has gone the way of his putting - down the toilet.

This is true. Or it could be that he is just getting started.

He could be like Phil who won five majors beginning at age 34.

Or VJ who won three majors beginning at age 35.

Or Ernie who won a major at 43.

Or Jack who won ten majors from age 30 through 46

Or Ben Hogan who won eight majors from age 34 to 41.

Which is exactly my point. Past success-or the lack thereof for that matter-does not necessarily portend the same in the future. A player can have have a relative lack of success and find it later...or start out fast and have it end....or start out fast and have it continue. But we never "know" what will come based on previous performance.

why is this still a thread? Who is the OP? Patrick Reed, is that you? Betting against Speith is a really dumb thing to do. This guy is a cerebral assassin. Im calling him winning a major this year?

People say "cerebral assassin" a lot - but for a guy who makes dumb decisions to hit 3w at Carnoustie, or a 6i at Pebble Beach - it doesn't stack up anymore.

Of course he played extremely well to get them, and maybe in 2015 he was a cerebral assassin.

As of today Jordan is 78th strokes gained putting on tour. Trending back up from 120something. For reference. We all saw how well Phil is putting. He’s 70th on tour as of today. The kid isn’t in the toilet. You guys just want him to be.

Slump yes. Panic ? Please.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As of today Jordan is 78th strokes gained putting on tour. Trending back up from 120something. For reference. We all saw how well Phil is putting. He's 70th on tour as of today. The kid isn't in the toilet. You guys just want him to be.

Compared to 1st in putting, 120 and 78 are in the toilet.

As of today Jordan is 78th strokes gained putting on tour. Trending back up from 120something. For reference. We all saw how well Phil is putting. He's 70th on tour as of today. The kid isn't in the toilet. You guys just want him to be.

Except the last couple years he was a good-even great-ballstriker. Now he is 201st off the tee and 124th approach. He was 50th and 33rd last year respectively. For an elite player he is playing like...like...well, like doodoo. :)

We’re probably going to have to ramp up this argument a bit since the Kuchar one got sent to the cooler.

We have to have at least one good one going at all times.

It wasn’t even bad, or if it was I missed the heated part. One guy playing the race card and a couple marginally political comments - pretty tame otherwise. I mean, if the first 4/5 pages were okay the rest were pretty much the same, lol.

Better than the “vote in my poll or piss off” thread that was destined to end up there.

Was all fired up to relax, watch women’s golf and figure out how to once again repurpose all my same arguments!

Anybody seen the leaderboard today ? The whole tour is in the toilet.

Looks similar to round 1 last week. Easy T45 from here.

Both of which go to show the premise of this thread is false. A guy in the toilet , destined for worse doesn’t show the signs of grinding hard like he’s showing. Looking good for Augusta.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Both of which go to show the premise of this thread is false. A guy in the toilet , destined for worse doesn't show the signs of grinding hard like he's showing. Looking good for Augusta.

I kind of agree. If they make Augusta a 36 hole event.

Both of which go to show the premise of this thread is false. A guy in the toilet , destined for worse doesn’t show the signs of grinding hard like he’s showing. Looking good for Augusta.

How is flailing after a good start considered "grinding"?

You two are too much. Name another journey man in the toilet ( your words ) who’s setting the pace week after week. Sure. Alot of work to do. But you don’t come out and make 5 birdies in the mud in 12 holes cause your binge drinking like Smylie. He’s clearly working his butt off and begining to work it out. But I guess it’s just “ luck “. ? Lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You two are too much. Name another journey man in the toilet ( your words ) who's setting the pace week after week. Sure. Alot of work to do. But you don't come out and make 5 birdies in the mud in 12 holes cause your binge drinking like Smylie. He's clearly working his butt off and begining to work it out. But I guess it's just " luck ". ? Lol

Not at all. Nothing he has had is luck. Everything anyone gets is generally earned, even Jordan. I can appreciate he is working his arse off, and I have never said otherwise.

All I can comment on is the results, and this year so far they are even worse than last year. His ranking is lower than it has been for 5yrs. You might see lots of things that give you hope. I see the same guy who last year could string a round or 2 together, but not 4.

You two are too much. Name another journey man in the toilet ( your words ) who’s setting the pace week after week. Sure. Alot of work to do. But you don’t come out and make 5 birdies in the mud in 12 holes cause your binge drinking like Smylie. He’s clearly working his butt off and begining to work it out. But I guess it’s just “ luck “. ? Lol

Even the days Spieth is scoring well he has an abnormally high number of head scratcher holes these days. Look at how he played 12 and 13 today and tell me that was intended. When it's occasional it's one thing. When it's every round you're just flirting with disaster.

Even the days Spieth is scoring well he has an abnormally high number of head scratcher holes these days. Look at how he played 12 and 13 today and tell me that was intended. When it's occasional it's one thing. When it's every round you're just flirting with disaster.

He has dreams you’ll never see.

You two are too much. Name another journey man in the toilet ( your words ) who's setting the pace week after week. Sure. Alot of work to do. But you don't come out and make 5 birdies in the mud in 12 holes cause your binge drinking like Smylie. He's clearly working his butt off and begining to work it out. But I guess it's just " luck ". ? Lol

I think this somewhat explains what happens to YJS over 4 days. He is constantly flirting with disaster and at some point it happens. Once it does he often has a couple of blow up doubles and is out of contention. I heard he is ranked something like 220th in strokes gained off the tee. Did you see some of those drives yesterday...awful for a former OWGR#1. He is driving it as crooked as Phil but 20 yards shorter. Ouch.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2