2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jordan Speith worse drought is yet to come

Danny Choo

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes this was a rough one for Jordan, he has got to figure out what is killing his scores after making the cut!

Round 1: 67.50 - 6th

Round 2: 68.83 - 26th

Round 3: 71.75 - 193rd

Round 4: 75.00 - 208th

His final round in particular has been pretty poor since he co-led the Open Championship through 54 holes last year:

-The Open Championship: 72-67-65-76

-WGC Bridgestone: 71-72-68-74

-PGA Championship: 71-66-69-66 (the one exception)

-Northern Trust: 70-70-64-73

-Dell Technologies: 69-67-68-70

-BMW Championship: 67-71-66-73

-Shriners Hospitals: 66-68-71-72

-Mayakoba: 71-69-CUT

-Sony Open: 73-66-CUT

-Farmers Insurance: 65-72-72-72

-Pebble Beach: 66-68-74-75

-Genesis Open: 64-70-70-81

Yikes this was a rough one for Jordan, he has got to figure out what is killing his scores after making the cut!

Round 1: 67.50 - 6th

Round 2: 68.83 - 26th

Round 3: 71.75 - 193rd

Round 4: 75.00 - 208th

His final round in particular has been pretty poor since he co-led the Open Championship through 54 holes last year:

-The Open Championship: 72-67-65-76

-WGC Bridgestone: 71-72-68-74

-PGA Championship: 71-66-69-66 (the one exception)

-Northern Trust: 70-70-64-73

-Dell Technologies: 69-67-68-70

-BMW Championship: 67-71-66-73

-Shriners Hospitals: 66-68-71-72

-Mayakoba: 71-69-CUT

-Sony Open: 73-66-CUT

-Farmers Insurance: 65-72-72-72

-Pebble Beach: 66-68-74-75

-Genesis Open: 64-70-70-81

Last year it was reverse, start off slow finish fast.He was top 5 in final round scoring until the last 3 weeks of the season and then went down to like 25th or something. tiger was the same last year.Weird game !!

PS tiger was 61st in 1st round scoring last year and Jordan was 114th.

This year Jordan is 6th Tiger is 80th.

2nd round scoring Jordan is 26th Tiger is 130th

3rd round scoring Jordan is 193rd Tiger is 10th

final round scoring Jordan is 208th Tiger is 55th

Last year it was reverse, start off slow finish fast.He was top 5 in final round scoring until the last 3 weeks of the season and then went down to like 25th or something. tiger was the same last year.Weird game !!

Indeed, highlighted by that final round 64 at the Masters!

I remember Woods having difficulty in final rounds in 2012.

Round 1: 69.33 - 3rd

Round 2: 69.28 - 2nd

Round 3: 70.25 - 45th

Round 4: 70.40 - 32nd

And he did the same thing in 2013!

Round 1: 68.93 - 2nd

Round 2: 69.00 - 2nd

Round 3: 70.47 - 48th

Round 4: 71.13 - 95th

As for Jordan, let's just hope that 81 was just an aberration. In Wood's prime his final round average was normally 1st or 2nd, occasionally wavering just outside 10th.

Indeed, highlighted by that final round 64 at the Masters!

I remember Woods having difficulty in final rounds in 2012.

Round 1: 69.33 - 3rd

Round 2: 69.28 - 2nd

Round 3: 70.25 - 45th

Round 4: 70.40 - 32nd

And he did the same thing in 2013!

Round 1: 68.93 - 2nd

Round 2: 69.00 - 2nd

Round 3: 70.47 - 48th

Round 4: 71.13 - 95th

As for Jordan, let's just hope that 81 was just an aberration. In Wood's prime his final round average was normally 1st or 2nd, occasionally wavering just outside 10th.

Swing changes can do that.Pressure gets to you on the weekend, its perfectly normal. I hope both reverse their trends!!

I might put money on him at Augusta now, could be a huge payday!

Surprising, to some degree, he remains joint favourite with Justin Rose at the bookmakers.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

His big miss seems to be multiplying. Previously it wasn't killing his round now it is.

Of course the putting looks ropey at times given the high bar he set and it's getting a lot of attention which wont help. The shortish one he missed on 6 (I think it was 6) yesterday was disconcerting.

Edit: Correction it was number 5 not 6

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

How can anyone honestly blame cadies when the player is the one that decides on what to hit and actually plays? Yes, they are there beside you but lets be honest, Jordan is the one three putting from 5 feet, making a double, a triple and a quad in one round. When does the player become responsible for those actions? I am a Jordan fan and hope he turns it around but if he gets rid of Gellar I am out.

I would think that trying to pull a player's head from their rectum would not be great for job security as a caddie during a round. I'd definitely fire you.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Hope Spieth will watch his 3 putt where he points to the green and hopefully it will be in slow motion. Maybe he will see that the stroke was pushed and the face was open. His putting has become pedestrian and in turn has affected the rest of his game. His driving has always been questionable, but the putting was there to save him, it's not there any more. Unless he can find the solution, which unto itself is questionable, after shooting a 64 in the opening round and then proceeding to play like me in the final round, it becomes very confusing. Since he putts left hand low, perhaps he should try the arm lock style, it could produce some needed confidence. Just a thought, but Jordan, if your reading this and this suggestion helps, then by all means feel free to send a little something. :cheesy:

IMO he needs a reset. I don't believe it's a caddy, coach, mechanical swing thing, it's just a reset of expectations. From what I have read and listened to in his interviews he's fighting the notoriety of being the next big thing. The media hopes he's the next Tiger or something of that nature and I believe he's fighting that in between his ears. Also, he seems to be a golfer who thrives on consistency and it appears that his major sponsor, Titleist, keeps pushing him to the next greatest tool. He's struggled with his driver and keeps going back to one that he's had success with but it also appears that his brand keeps trying to put a new driver in each week? If the kid doesnt get off the tee well, then he struggles the round away. He's obviously go the tools mentally to play well, just tuning out the noise is just part of the process. I don't think trying to gain distance with the big hitters of the game helps his overall performance in tournaments either?

IMO he needs a reset. I don't believe it's a caddy, coach, mechanical swing thing, it's just a reset of expectations. From what I have read and listened to in his interviews he's fighting the notoriety of being the next big thing. The media hopes he's the next Tiger or something of that nature and I believe he's fighting that in between his ears. Also, he seems to be a golfer who thrives on consistency and it appears that his major sponsor, Titleist, keeps pushing him to the next greatest tool. He's struggled with his driver and keeps going back to one that he's had success with but it also appears that his brand keeps trying to put a new driver in each week? If the kid doesnt get off the tee well, then he struggles the round away. He's obviously go the tools mentally to play well, just tuning out the noise is just part of the process. I don't think trying to gain distance with the big hitters of the game helps his overall performance in tournaments either?

I really don't think its the brand. Blaming the brand is still making excuses for his struggling. No tour player especially a 3 time major winner will listen to a brand and play a club that he knows will hurt him in the end. They will switch brands or go to a different club contract. Especially Jordan, he is the ultimate person that never switches unless its a good switch for sure. If he keeps going back to it, it probably has to do with what is between his ears and not the brand or the club. It could be seeing the numbers are better on a launch monitor and then when it counts he is all over the place type thing. A lot of this is between his ears, he knows it, every pga tour player knows it, and everyone on the planet knows it. His body language is all you have to watch. The three putt showed it clearly.

Can’t believe they found a post of mine that was coherent enough to clean up and quote. Good job boys ! Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

any link to see Jordan's 81 highlight ?

No sure you can call them “highlights” when a PGA Tour player shoots 81.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Tough first round for Spieth and some top players. Spieth is 12 shots of the lead and many are eager to see where he ends up come Sunday. His current form has opened up the door of fierce and relentless criticism. It is evident he is not taking it well and the collapses seemed to be the norm.

It is a tough decision for a three time major winner to step away from the game and find himself. Spieth needs right now to focus on him, the road ahead will only get longer if he keeps playing in this state of mind. In my opinion Jordan Spieth should communicate with his sponsors, team and family and make the tough decision to step away from the game for a few months. If he was physically injured he would have no choice. Spieth is mentally injured, he needs to step away for a while.

Taking a few months off to save his career is worth it. His talent has collapse, but he can rebuild.

Tough first round for Spieth and some top players. Spieth is 12 shots of the lead and many are eager to see where he ends up come Sunday. His current form has opened up the door of fierce and relentless criticism. It is evident he is not taking it well and the collapses seemed to be the norm.

It is a tough decision for a three time major winner to step away from the game and find himself. Spieth needs right now to focus on him, the road ahead will only get longer if he keeps playing in this state of mind. In my opinion Jordan Spieth should communicate with his sponsors, team and family and make the tough decision to step away from the game for a few months. If he was physically injured he would have no choice. Spieth is mentally injured, he needs to step away for a while.

Taking a few months off to save his career is worth it. His talent has collapse, but he can rebuild.

LOL!!

I think he'll figure it out. That tee shot he hit on 18 at the Masters last year sticks out for me. I remember he yank pulled it into that limb, grand total of prob 100 yards, and he took it pretty well. I remember watching him after that shot thinking to myself, 'Good grief look at his face! He still thinks he's gonna win this thing!' I may be in the minority but I think he may well have a good year.

He's fallen off more than his talent suggests. I think it's some kind of mental thing and hopefully not like Duval. Rory as a study case also has fallen off but not as dramatically. Strangely always seems a tiny bit away. Spieth right now is all kinds of away. For guys like him it's mental, especially seeing that he can do it in the first two rounds.

Either that or his game isn't sharp enough for Sunday pins.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I've never been a fan of the Speith mantra of it being a team process for his golf, but he may never be able to take responsibility for his own actions.

From the very beginning it has been 'we' and not 'I' and in my view, responsibility lies with the guy holding the handle and he should embrace it. My stepdaughter has this modern day attitude that everyone else is involved in the way she runs her life, so it becomes everyone else's fault when she falls off the wagon.

It might all be a summer's day when everyone on your team is having a great day....

I'm going to guess there's an outside factor effecting his golf, something the public has no idea about.

+1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

It must be humbling for him to be in the same group as DJ or Rory and watch that tee ball game

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9