2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How good will Matthew Wolff be?

GolfChannel

I remember the CH3 arrival as some kind of counter to TW. Oh, and everyone remembers Schneiderjans being given a double career grand slam career in stupid forum threads (just like this one).

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

> @airjammer said:

> > @creasy54 said:

> > Would love to know what his detailed stats are in the different aspects of the game. Worth revisiting once he's played 4-5 events. When discussing a 'good career' on the PGA Tour I feel like we're grossly underestimating the depth of talent coming, and in that group the future 'outlier' stars that pop up every year. Each Hovland, Wolff, Morikawa, Scheffler, Suh etc. add just another level of competition to the tour already overflowing with 'veterans' who can win any week without it being surprising. I doubt we'll ever see another Furyk, Mickelson, Love III, or Tiger like career, the degree to which you need to be an outlier (Tiger) in the future is incomprehensible and if you're just very good, the margins will be so small that 1 putt per week will allow another really good player to win, week in and week out. Who really knew much about Wolff 3yrs ago, there are probably 50x 16/17yr olds out there who will be the next Wolff, Hovland, Morikawa etc. and the gap that has helped DJ or Rory length rise above their peers is getting narrower, because 98% of young guys coming up hit it 300+ no problem, so length won't be as huge a separator. Maybe Fawcett will come up with a length x accuracy x proximity x SG putting formula that defines the future tour player vs multiple winner vs superstar. The game might become more nuanced in other areas when everyone is hitting it in 310-330 range so that will be interesting. A future HOF career might only be (gasp) a major and 5 tour wins.

>

> That has been said about every sport that has risen in popularity and it’s just not true. No matter how deep the pool may be, every generation has a player or two that is just that much better than the rest.

>

Ok what are we calling a generation in golf? I assume Spieth/Thomas/Rickie/DJ/Rory/Day are considered the generation after Tiger/Phil (even though they're still playing) Out of those guys DJ has 20 wins and Rory has 16 which makes them the players 'so much better than the rest' as you call it. Does DJ/Rory get to 44 wins like Mickelson, I seriously doubt it. They will easily have earnings careers like Furyk (only 17 wins) no problem but that's because the money has increased. I just don't think even the outliers/superstars from the coming generations will be THAT much better than the existing talent pool on tour. I even think branding/personality potential will be a bigger predictor for earnings in golf eg. Fowler. The pool is getting bigger, better, and the separating margins are smaller when everyone hits it long and gets to putt on good greens.

"It's the last ball you've got in the bag Roy, you get this one wet and we're disqualified"
"[i]I can make it across[/i]"
"Well then do it and quit f*$king around"

> @creasy54 said:

> > @airjammer said:

> > > @creasy54 said:

> > > Would love to know what his detailed stats are in the different aspects of the game. Worth revisiting once he's played 4-5 events. When discussing a 'good career' on the PGA Tour I feel like we're grossly underestimating the depth of talent coming, and in that group the future 'outlier' stars that pop up every year. Each Hovland, Wolff, Morikawa, Scheffler, Suh etc. add just another level of competition to the tour already overflowing with 'veterans' who can win any week without it being surprising. I doubt we'll ever see another Furyk, Mickelson, Love III, or Tiger like career, the degree to which you need to be an outlier (Tiger) in the future is incomprehensible and if you're just very good, the margins will be so small that 1 putt per week will allow another really good player to win, week in and week out. Who really knew much about Wolff 3yrs ago, there are probably 50x 16/17yr olds out there who will be the next Wolff, Hovland, Morikawa etc. and the gap that has helped DJ or Rory length rise above their peers is getting narrower, because 98% of young guys coming up hit it 300+ no problem, so length won't be as huge a separator. Maybe Fawcett will come up with a length x accuracy x proximity x SG putting formula that defines the future tour player vs multiple winner vs superstar. The game might become more nuanced in other areas when everyone is hitting it in 310-330 range so that will be interesting. A future HOF career might only be (gasp) a major and 5 tour wins.

> >

> > That has been said about every sport that has risen in popularity and it’s just not true. No matter how deep the pool may be, every generation has a player or two that is just that much better than the rest.

> >

>

> Ok what are we calling a generation in golf? I assume Spieth/Thomas/Rickie/DJ/Rory/Day are considered the generation after Tiger/Phil (even though they're still playing) Out of those guys DJ has 20 wins and Rory has 16 which makes them the players 'so much better than the rest' as you call it. Does DJ/Rory get to 44 wins like Mickelson, I seriously doubt it. They will easily have earnings careers like Furyk (only 17 wins) no problem but that's because the money has increased. I just don't think even the outliers/superstars from the coming generations will be THAT much better than the existing talent pool on tour. I even think branding/personality potential will be a bigger predictor for earnings in golf eg. Fowler. The pool is getting bigger, better, and the separating margins are smaller when everyone hits it long and gets to putt on good greens.

I can’t predict wins nor can anybody else...and you cannot compare eras so I’m not about to.

My point is that someone comes around that is the GOAT of their era in every major sport and a few others that aren’t quite goat but still significantly better than the field.

> @pinhigh27 said:

> > @golfandfishing said:

> > I think if Wolff didn’t have his wonky move he wouldn’t be nearly as “popular”, it’s his version of wearing all orange basically. It makes him popular, but that doesn’t make him great. His college career was fine, but he didn’t beat any veteran players at amateur events like the US Am, Sunnehana, Western Am, etc. I’ll say he’s a Ryan Moore type career with 6-8ish wins by the time he retires lavishly.

>

> Fine? He won the most events in one year in Oklahoma state history. That's hilarious. He had one of the best years of college golf in history.

How many US am s , junior ams , and or individual ncaa titles has he got?

1 individual title. It’s odd for a world beater to not at least have a junior am etc

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @airjammer said:

> > @creasy54 said:

> > > @airjammer said:

> > > > @creasy54 said:

> > > > Would love to know what his detailed stats are in the different aspects of the game. Worth revisiting once he's played 4-5 events. When discussing a 'good career' on the PGA Tour I feel like we're grossly underestimating the depth of talent coming, and in that group the future 'outlier' stars that pop up every year. Each Hovland, Wolff, Morikawa, Scheffler, Suh etc. add just another level of competition to the tour already overflowing with 'veterans' who can win any week without it being surprising. I doubt we'll ever see another Furyk, Mickelson, Love III, or Tiger like career, the degree to which you need to be an outlier (Tiger) in the future is incomprehensible and if you're just very good, the margins will be so small that 1 putt per week will allow another really good player to win, week in and week out. Who really knew much about Wolff 3yrs ago, there are probably 50x 16/17yr olds out there who will be the next Wolff, Hovland, Morikawa etc. and the gap that has helped DJ or Rory length rise above their peers is getting narrower, because 98% of young guys coming up hit it 300+ no problem, so length won't be as huge a separator. Maybe Fawcett will come up with a length x accuracy x proximity x SG putting formula that defines the future tour player vs multiple winner vs superstar. The game might become more nuanced in other areas when everyone is hitting it in 310-330 range so that will be interesting. A future HOF career might only be (gasp) a major and 5 tour wins.

> > >

> > > That has been said about every sport that has risen in popularity and it’s just not true. No matter how deep the pool may be, every generation has a player or two that is just that much better than the rest.

> > >

> >

> > Ok what are we calling a generation in golf? I assume Spieth/Thomas/Rickie/DJ/Rory/Day are considered the generation after Tiger/Phil (even though they're still playing) Out of those guys DJ has 20 wins and Rory has 16 which makes them the players 'so much better than the rest' as you call it. Does DJ/Rory get to 44 wins like Mickelson, I seriously doubt it. They will easily have earnings careers like Furyk (only 17 wins) no problem but that's because the money has increased. I just don't think even the outliers/superstars from the coming generations will be THAT much better than the existing talent pool on tour. I even think branding/personality potential will be a bigger predictor for earnings in golf eg. Fowler. The pool is getting bigger, better, and the separating margins are smaller when everyone hits it long and gets to putt on good greens.

>

> I can’t predict wins nor can anybody else...and you cannot compare eras so I’m not about to.

> My point is that someone comes around that is the GOAT of their era in every major sport and a few others that aren’t quite goat but still significantly better than the field.

>

>

As the general talent pool (everyone benefiting from quality coaching, tech, stats, sport psych, fitting etc.) increases, the margin between the best in the pool and everyone else gets smaller. In a game built on razor thin margins at the highest level, being 'significantly' better than your peers is going to get harder and harder, which is why I'm saying the GOTE ;) won't rack up as many wins or majors as the previous generation. Wins and majors still being the way we measure success and dominance in golf...

"It's the last ball you've got in the bag Roy, you get this one wet and we're disqualified"
"[i]I can make it across[/i]"
"Well then do it and quit f*$king around"

Let's enjoy seeing the kid develop for a while. There's still quite a few red faces left over from those who declared Cameron Champ the second coming but powerful swings guarantee nothing but erections on golf forums.

Wolff played well in spells the last few days but it's a big step up to compete at the right end of the leaderboard week after week. Looking forward to watching this guy more though, lots of good in there.

• Like 2

> @JonnyKrasnodar said:

> Let's enjoy seeing the kid develop for a while. There's still quite a few red faces left over from those who declared Cameron Champ the second coming but powerful swings guarantee nothing but erections on golf forums.

> Wolff played well in spells the last few days but it's a big step up to compete at the right end of the leaderboard week after week. Looking forward to watching this guy more though, lots of good in there.

Champ’s pedigree is not even in the same ballpark as Wolff.

Those who declared him the second coming likely had no idea who he was before he won.

• Like 1

> @mjen43 said:

> > @JonnyKrasnodar said:

> > Let's enjoy seeing the kid develop for a while. There's still quite a few red faces left over from those who declared Cameron Champ the second coming but powerful swings guarantee nothing but erections on golf forums.

> > Wolff played well in spells the last few days but it's a big step up to compete at the right end of the leaderboard week after week. Looking forward to watching this guy more though, lots of good in there.

>

> Champ’s pedigree is not even in the same ballpark as Wolff.

>

> Those who declared him the second coming likely had no idea who he was before he won.

they knew who he was before he won, but it was based strictly on his driving distance ...

Interesting analysis on Sky Sports Golf last night from Billy Ray Brown. In his opinion out of the 4 newly turned pro players this week at Travelers he thinks Matt Wolff is the weakest. He reckons he'll have weeks where he can overpower a course but thinks Hovland, Morikawa and Suh are currently better all-round players. I was a little surprised at this.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> Interesting analysis on Sky Sports Golf last night from Billy Ray Brown. In his opinion out of the 4 newly turned pro players this week at Travelers he thinks Matt Wolff is the weakest. He reckons he'll have weeks where he can overpower a course but thinks Hovland, Morikawa and Suh are currently better all-round players. I was a little surprised at this.

I 100% agree that Wolff is the weakest of the bunch but what marketers can sell is what will succeed long term. Wolff has the charisma, charm, crazy swing, over the top swing coach that hypes him like the 2nd coming and therefor will have a decent career regardless of the results he puts up in the beginning. He will be afforded opportunities the others are going to have to grind for.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @"Terry Gold" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

>

> >

> > . It’s odd for a world beater to not at least have a junior am etc

> >

> >

> No. It's not. Other than Woods, Duval, and Spieth, can you name three guys that went from US Junior Am champ to 'world-beater' from the last 30 years.?

>

>

>

Well. Jack won the us am twice for a real easy answer. You mistook my example of the junior am as my point. My point was that most of the pga tours best have won something other than college events as an am. Short list literally off the top of my head.

Phil - us am

Dj Trahan - pub links

Matt kuchar- us am

Ryan Moore - us am

Bryson deshambaeu - us am

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @"Terry Gold" said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> >

> > >

> > > . It’s odd for a world beater to not at least have a junior am etc

> > >

> > >

> > No. It's not. Other than Woods, Duval, and Spieth, can you name three guys that went from US Junior Am champ to 'world-beater' from the last 30 years.?

> >

> >

> >

>

> Well. Jack won the us am twice for a real easy answer. You mistook my example of the junior am as my point. My point was that most of the pga tours best have won something other than college events as an am. Short list literally off the top of my head.

>

> Phil - us am

> Dj Trahan - pub links

> Matt kuchar- us am

> Ryan Moore - us am

> Bryson deshambaeu - us am

>

>

>

>

pub links? are you kidding me. I will take a d1 national title over 5 pub links.

us am is similar level to d1 national championship. I don't know what your agenda is. he won numerous events including the national championship as well as a team one the year before. again, not many people have had better seasons before.

yes if you compare him to jack or tiger he has not achieved as much but that is an absolutely insane standard. I don't think anybody is claiming he's going to be the next GOAT but he's obviously very accomplished and has as good of a shot as any of those dudes who just turned pro.

some of you guys are really weird with the criticisms.

anyone who says he's the weakest of the 4 is just looking for attention and a headline. he beat hovland in most events. hovland won the us am and played great in us open. the other two are great players too. We will have to see how they do as pros.

> @pinhigh27 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @"Terry Gold" said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > >

> > > >

> > > > . It’s odd for a world beater to not at least have a junior am etc

> > > >

> > > >

> > > No. It's not. Other than Woods, Duval, and Spieth, can you name three guys that went from US Junior Am champ to 'world-beater' from the last 30 years.?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Well. Jack won the us am twice for a real easy answer. You mistook my example of the junior am as my point. My point was that most of the pga tours best have won something other than college events as an am. Short list literally off the top of my head.

> >

> > Phil - us am

> > Dj Trahan - pub links

> > Matt kuchar- us am

> > Ryan Moore - us am

> > Bryson deshambaeu - us am

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> pub links? are you kidding me. I will take a d1 national title over 5 pub links.

> us am is similar level to d1 national championship. I don't know what your agenda is. he won numerous events including the national championship as well as a team one the year before. again, not many people have had better seasons before.

>

> yes if you compare him to jack or tiger he has not achieved as much but that is an absolutely insane standard. I don't think anybody is claiming he's going to be the next GOAT but he's obviously very accomplished and has as good of a shot as any of those dudes who just turned pro.

> some of you guys are really weird with the criticisms.

>

> anyone who says he's the weakest of the 4 is just looking for attention and a headline. he beat hovland in most events. hovland won the us am and played great in us open. the other two are great players too. We will have to see how they do as pros.

Lol. I put that one in just to see who it triggered.

Point still stands. He didn’t have as strong of a. am career as a lot of pga tour winners. That’s my only point and agenda. To point out that if he hadn’t won that individual he’d have won nearly nothing.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @golfandfishing said:

> “anyone who says he's the weakest of the 4 is just looking for attention and a headline”

>

> I didn’t read this entire thread, but did someone say that? Most of what I read put him in a modest tour career similar to a John Cook type results.

Billy Ray Brown, his opinion based on his observations. He qualified it and went into detail why he believes thats the case, I doubt he said it just to be controversial.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @bladehunter said:

> > @pinhigh27 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @"Terry Gold" said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > . It’s odd for a world beater to not at least have a junior am etc

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > No. It's not. Other than Woods, Duval, and Spieth, can you name three guys that went from US Junior Am champ to 'world-beater' from the last 30 years.?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Well. Jack won the us am twice for a real easy answer. You mistook my example of the junior am as my point. My point was that most of the pga tours best have won something other than college events as an am. Short list literally off the top of my head.

> > >

> > > Phil - us am

> > > Dj Trahan - pub links

> > > Matt kuchar- us am

> > > Ryan Moore - us am

> > > Bryson deshambaeu - us am

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > pub links? are you kidding me. I will take a d1 national title over 5 pub links.

> > us am is similar level to d1 national championship. I don't know what your agenda is. he won numerous events including the national championship as well as a team one the year before. again, not many people have had better seasons before.

> >

> > yes if you compare him to jack or tiger he has not achieved as much but that is an absolutely insane standard. I don't think anybody is claiming he's going to be the next GOAT but he's obviously very accomplished and has as good of a shot as any of those dudes who just turned pro.

> > some of you guys are really weird with the criticisms.

> >

> > anyone who says he's the weakest of the 4 is just looking for attention and a headline. he beat hovland in most events. hovland won the us am and played great in us open. the other two are great players too. We will have to see how they do as pros.

>

> Lol. I put that one in just to see who it triggered.

>

> Point still stands. He didn’t have as strong of a. am career as a lot of pga tour winners. That’s my only point and agenda. To point out that if he hadn’t won that individual he’d have won nearly nothing.

Nearly nothing? Dude youre crazy he won 5 other events this year alone besides the ncaa and had a 2nd in another..

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I didn’t see that, but most of the time in production meetings the talking heads work out who needs to say what. When all of them agree someone gets assigned the dissenting opinion and is given some form of data to back it up. It doesn’t mean anyone actually thinks that, they just had an 8 minute piece of a program to fill and the hosts actual thoughts could only fill 3 so a diggin they went.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @golfandfishing said:

> > “anyone who says he's the weakest of the 4 is just looking for attention and a headline”

> >

> > I didn’t read this entire thread, but did someone say that? Most of what I read put him in a modest tour career similar to a John Cook type results.

>

> Billy Ray Brown, his opinion based on his observations. He qualified it and went into detail why he believes thats the case, I doubt he said it just to be controversial.

• Like 1

> @pinhigh27 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @pinhigh27 said:

> > > > > @"Terry Gold" said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > . It’s odd for a world beater to not at least have a junior am etc

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > No. It's not. Other than Woods, Duval, and Spieth, can you name three guys that went from US Junior Am champ to 'world-beater' from the last 30 years.?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Well. Jack won the us am twice for a real easy answer. You mistook my example of the junior am as my point. My point was that most of the pga tours best have won something other than college events as an am. Short list literally off the top of my head.

> > > >

> > > > Phil - us am

> > > > Dj Trahan - pub links

> > > > Matt kuchar- us am

> > > > Ryan Moore - us am

> > > > Bryson deshambaeu - us am

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > pub links? are you kidding me. I will take a d1 national title over 5 pub links.

> > > us am is similar level to d1 national championship. I don't know what your agenda is. he won numerous events including the national championship as well as a team one the year before. again, not many people have had better seasons before.

> > >

> > > yes if you compare him to jack or tiger he has not achieved as much but that is an absolutely insane standard. I don't think anybody is claiming he's going to be the next GOAT but he's obviously very accomplished and has as good of a shot as any of those dudes who just turned pro.

> > > some of you guys are really weird with the criticisms.

> > >

> > > anyone who says he's the weakest of the 4 is just looking for attention and a headline. he beat hovland in most events. hovland won the us am and played great in us open. the other two are great players too. We will have to see how they do as pros.

> >

> > Lol. I put that one in just to see who it triggered.

> >

> > Point still stands. He didn’t have as strong of a. am career as a lot of pga tour winners. That’s my only point and agenda. To point out that if he hadn’t won that individual he’d have won nearly nothing.

>

> Nearly nothing? Dude youre crazy he won 5 other events this year alone besides the ncaa and had a 2nd in another..

>

> You have no idea what you're talking about.

College events do not generally a great amateur make.

Go compare stats with Havland alone and it’s clear. Havland has a T32 and T12 at the masters and us open as an am. US am victory. Norwegian Am victory. These are events where you play against the best college kids and best young adults. Much deeper thing to win. Wolfs individual NCAA is The only thing I see that stands outs.

He hits it a mile. Yes. But we all know that doesn’t translate alone.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @pinhigh27 said:

> > > @golfandfishing said:

> > > I think if Wolff didn’t have his wonky move he wouldn’t be nearly as “popular”, it’s his version of wearing all orange basically. It makes him popular, but that doesn’t make him great. His college career was fine, but he didn’t beat any veteran players at amateur events like the US Am, Sunnehana, Western Am, etc. I’ll say he’s a Ryan Moore type career with 6-8ish wins by the time he retires lavishly.

> >

> > Fine? He won the most events in one year in Oklahoma state history. That's hilarious. He had one of the best years of college golf in history.

>

> How many US am s , junior ams , and or individual ncaa titles has he got?

>

> 1 individual title. It’s odd for a world beater to not at least have a junior am etc

>

>

I did the research for another thread last year.

Since Tiger Woods (who won both), the records in the pros for the US Amateur Champions like Hovland and the NCAA Champions like Wolff are nearly identical.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @pinhigh27 said:

> > > > @golfandfishing said:

> > > > I think if Wolff didn’t have his wonky move he wouldn’t be nearly as “popular”, it’s his version of wearing all orange basically. It makes him popular, but that doesn’t make him great. His college career was fine, but he didn’t beat any veteran players at amateur events like the US Am, Sunnehana, Western Am, etc. I’ll say he’s a Ryan Moore type career with 6-8ish wins by the time he retires lavishly.

> > >

> > > Fine? He won the most events in one year in Oklahoma state history. That's hilarious. He had one of the best years of college golf in history.

> >

> > How many US am s , junior ams , and or individual ncaa titles has he got?

> >

> > 1 individual title. It’s odd for a world beater to not at least have a junior am etc

> >

> >

>

> I did the research for another thread last year.

> Since Tiger Woods (who won both), the records in the pros for the US Amateur Champions like Hovland and the NCAA Champions like Wolff are nearly identical.

I don’t doubt that , especially since a lot of ncaa champs probably overlap and also win USga AM events etc.

I just don’t think that the argument that he’s the best of this year’s crop holds water , because of an ncaa championship. Time will tell for sure.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @pinhigh27 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @"Terry Gold" said:

> > >

> > > >

> > > > . It’s odd for a world beater to not at least have a junior am etc

> > > >

> > > >

> > > No. It's not. Other than Woods, Duval, and Spieth, can you name three guys that went from US Junior Am champ to 'world-beater' from the last 30 years.?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Well. Jack won the us am twice for a real easy answer. You mistook my example of the junior am as my point. My point was that most of the pga tours best have won something other than college events as an am. Short list literally off the top of my head.

> >

> > Phil - us am

> > Dj Trahan - pub links

> > Matt kuchar- us am

> > Ryan Moore - us am

> > Bryson deshambaeu - us am

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> pub links? are you kidding me. I will take a d1 national title over 5 pub links.

> us am is similar level to d1 national championship. I don't know what your agenda is. he won numerous events including the national championship as well as a team one the year before. again, not many people have had better seasons before.

>

> yes if you compare him to jack or tiger he has not achieved as much but that is an absolutely insane standard. I don't think anybody is claiming he's going to be the next GOAT but he's obviously very accomplished and has as good of a shot as any of those dudes who just turned pro.

> some of you guys are really weird with the criticisms.

>

> anyone who says he's the weakest of the 4 is just looking for attention and a headline. he beat hovland in most events. hovland won the us am and played great in us open. the other two are great players too. We will have to see how they do as pros.

The US Public Links adds a win today with 2001 Champion Chez Reavie's win in Hartford. Six of them since 1996 have a PGA Tour win including Trevor Immelman with a Masters win.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @pinhigh27 said:

> > > > > @golfandfishing said:

> > > > > I think if Wolff didn’t have his wonky move he wouldn’t be nearly as “popular”, it’s his version of wearing all orange basically. It makes him popular, but that doesn’t make him great. His college career was fine, but he didn’t beat any veteran players at amateur events like the US Am, Sunnehana, Western Am, etc. I’ll say he’s a Ryan Moore type career with 6-8ish wins by the time he retires lavishly.

> > > >

> > > > Fine? He won the most events in one year in Oklahoma state history. That's hilarious. He had one of the best years of college golf in history.

> > >

> > > How many US am s , junior ams , and or individual ncaa titles has he got?

> > >

> > > 1 individual title. It’s odd for a world beater to not at least have a junior am etc

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I did the research for another thread last year.

> > Since Tiger Woods (who won both), the records in the pros for the US Amateur Champions like Hovland and the NCAA Champions like Wolff are nearly identical.

>

> I don’t doubt that , especially since a lot of ncaa champs probably overlap and also win USga AM events etc.

>

> I just don’t think that the argument that he’s the best of this year’s crop holds water , because of an ncaa championship. Time will tell for sure.

Only five have won the US Amateur and NCAA Title.

Jack, Tiger, Phil, Bryson and Ryan Moore.