Monte Qualifies for the 2019 US Senior Open

Schnee

> @Schnee said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > It’s over. He’ll need a 64 tomorrow to make the cut.

>

> Honestly, is there a need for this type of comment? Why the negativity? Everyone else is being positive and you have to throw in an extra curb stomp while the guy is down.

>

> Have you played in the biggest event of the season on a major professional tour before? Oh that’s right no. Shut it.

>

This time 1,000.

What's interesting to me is the two pictures of Monte. He has a great smile on the USGA page and on the PGA Tour one, he looks like he has the thousand yard stare of just got woken up from 2 hours sleep after a big night out.

Anyway, come on Monte - let's chuck some birdies out there!

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> First off, I don’t want anything I ever say here to come off as an excuse. Those of you who have been to my clinics or for lessons know I say, “I know this is not right because I have made this mistake before. Learn from my mistake.”

>

> The pressure of the event is not what made me play bad.

> Having so many people support me did not put excess pressure on me. I loved it.

> The enormity of the event is not why I played poorly.

>

> The reasons I played poorly.

> 1. I wound myself up way too much. I did a terrible job of managing my emotions on Wednesday. Barely slept 2 hours last night because I couldn’t stay calm. This may sound like I refuted two of the points above, but fear of failure and being over anxious to rush out on the field are different.

> 2. I was a little anxious on the first tee (DUH), pulled my tee shot a hair, it clipped a tree and went into the garbage. I pitched out to the fairway and hit a nice 3/4 SW that needed to carry about 8-10 feet farther and I’d have had a short par putt. Instead, it landed on the slope and spun back to the very front where I 3 putted for double. I didn’t get mad, but I got even more anxious....now here comes the thing you guys can learn from. All the anxiousness took me out of the process and I reverted back to old bad swing habits that have kept me from succeeding in the past. It took me 4 more holes to get back to focusing on what was working. By then, I was out of rhythm and grinding all day to stay out of DFL.

>

> When I look back at the day, I made normal mistakes that better PLAYERS learn to overcome...when they play more. The only regret I have was I couldn’t maintain ONE MORE ******* hole.

>

> If I make par on 9th hole (my 18), which is not a tough hole, I can say, “You know, I was 4 over after 3 and 5 over after 5 and I went even the last 13 holes in a major championship when I was struggling badly. Making 6 on the last hole felt like I threw away all the hard work.

>

>

>

>

Nothing to hang your head down about. Incredible job of hanging in there after working through all the emotions at the beginning of the tournament. Best of luck tomorrow! Savor every moment and remember everything you have accomplished to get there and play in one of golf's biggest stages on the senior circuit. We're all proud of you and rooting for you!

With all the talk about old baggage, I hope everything that comes out of this experience can get filed as a positive. Huge accomplishment.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

> @DFinch said:

> Huge accomplishment.

>

I want to second this. I had as a goal for a while to qualify for a major, but I'd go to them and watch the crowds around the first tee and just think to myself if I ever did get into one of these things I think I'd be so nervous that I couldn't even take the club back. My hat is off to Monte for getting into this thing at all. That he's managing to hang in there after the start he had is hugely impressive to me. I've also seen him hit it, so I'm not surprised that he is, but still very impressed.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @vinylbudgie said:

> That 10th hole must be a b**ch

10 is actually a par 5 which they've converted for the event. It's tree lined on the right and left is kind of a ravine. There's a creek in front of the green and this is one of the toughest greens to hold because it was designed as a par 5 green, not a par 4. There is room to the right of the green as a bail out but that still doesn't guarantee an easy up and down if you go that way.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @vinylbudgie said:

> > That 10th hole must be a b**ch

>

> 10 is actually a par 5 which they've converted for the event. It's tree lined on the right and left is kind of a ravine. There's a creek in front of the green and this is one of the toughest greens to hold because it was designed as a par 5 green, not a par 4. There is room to the right of the green as a bail out but that still doesn't guarantee an easy up and down if you go that way.

I am pretty sure the course layout has actually changed for the event. I am not sure what holes are what, but the normal score card is not correct right now.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > Doesn't really matter, the bottom line is that you've got to get to that calm place in your own head so that your body can do what it already knows how to do.

>

> The "calm place" may come eventually, but the important first step is to learn to perform despite the altered emotional state. You can control your actions, but not your emotions. Learn that the body feels and responds differently when hype'd and how to compensate for those changes. And that takes time and reps in those situations.

>

> Really not all that different from learning a new swing move. It feels foreign and uncomfortable at first - but with more time it gets better. The downside is that while you can just go to the range and practice a new swing change, it's not so easy to get the reps to learn to deal with the heightened emotional state - at least at Monte's level.

>

>

>

Right on point

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @trilerian said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @vinylbudgie said:

> > > That 10th hole must be a b**ch

> >

> > 10 is actually a par 5 which they've converted for the event. It's tree lined on the right and left is kind of a ravine. There's a creek in front of the green and this is one of the toughest greens to hold because it was designed as a par 5 green, not a par 4. There is room to the right of the green as a bail out but that still doesn't guarantee an easy up and down if you go that way.

>

> I am pretty sure the course layout has actually changed for the event. I am not sure what holes are what, but the normal score card is not correct right now.

Was not aware of that. It appears you're correct, apologies.

> @trilerian said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @vinylbudgie said:

> > > That 10th hole must be a b**ch

> >

> > 10 is actually a par 5 which they've converted for the event. It's tree lined on the right and left is kind of a ravine. There's a creek in front of the green and this is one of the toughest greens to hold because it was designed as a par 5 green, not a par 4. There is room to the right of the green as a bail out but that still doesn't guarantee an easy up and down if you go that way.

>

> I am pretty sure the course layout has actually changed for the event. I am not sure what holes are what, but the normal score card is not correct right now.

Correct...see the left side of this page. https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/senioropen/a-tweak-here-a-tweak-there-usga-found-warren-golf/article_1e0bb8f2-fe82-55aa-bcee-d6efc5b18033.html

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

> @jgard320 said:

> Looks like the bonus coverage is going to be the Steve Sticker and Bernhard Langer show. Really would have been nice to see the whole field instead of just the guys we know are going to qualify.

Yeah, I have no idea why the USGA would want to show the person leading the tournament instead of the guy who is currently second to last.

Its awesome that Monte qualified, but unless he does something spectacular like holing out from the fairway or something, he's not going to be shown on coverage.

• Like 1

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @jgard320 said:

> > Looks like the bonus coverage is going to be the Steve Sticker and Bernhard Langer show. Really would have been nice to see the whole field instead of just the guys we know are going to qualify.

>

> Yeah, I have no idea why the USGA would want to show the person leading the tournament instead of the guy who is currently second to last.

>

> Its awesome that Monte qualified, but unless he does something spectacular like holing out from the fairway or something, he's not going to be shown on coverage.

I know who is leading the tournament. It’s a Thursday and Friday before cuts, not the final round of a tight race. There’s room to show the leaders and the whole field instead of the same 3 golfers over and over again.

> @jgard320 said:

> > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > @jgard320 said:

> > > Looks like the bonus coverage is going to be the Steve Sticker and Bernhard Langer show. Really would have been nice to see the whole field instead of just the guys we know are going to qualify.

> >

> > Yeah, I have no idea why the USGA would want to show the person leading the tournament instead of the guy who is currently second to last.

> >

> > Its awesome that Monte qualified, but unless he does something spectacular like holing out from the fairway or something, he's not going to be shown on coverage.

>

> I know who is leading the tournament. It’s a Thursday and Friday before cuts, not the final round of a tight race. There’s room to show the leaders and the whole field instead of the same 3 golfers over and over again.

Monte currently has the worst round going in the field by three shots today at +8. I honestly dont understand why you think he's going to be shown. Its clear you dont understand how golf coverage, featured groups, and following the actual contenders of winning the tournament actually works.

• Like 1

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @jgard320 said:

> > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > > @jgard320 said:

> > > > Looks like the bonus coverage is going to be the Steve Sticker and Bernhard Langer show. Really would have been nice to see the whole field instead of just the guys we know are going to qualify.

> > >

> > > Yeah, I have no idea why the USGA would want to show the person leading the tournament instead of the guy who is currently second to last.

> > >

> > > Its awesome that Monte qualified, but unless he does something spectacular like holing out from the fairway or something, he's not going to be shown on coverage.

> >

> > I know who is leading the tournament. It’s a Thursday and Friday before cuts, not the final round of a tight race. There’s room to show the leaders and the whole field instead of the same 3 golfers over and over again.

>

> Monte currently has the worst round going in the field by three shots today at +8. I honestly dont understand why you think he's going to be shown. Its clear you dont understand how golf coverage, featured groups, and following the actual contenders of winning the tournament actually works.

Feel better about your day now that you got your zinger out there on a message board? I’m aware of everything you said. Just voicing my opinion about what would be more entertaining. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for a lot of people out there, especially the ams. Even cutting to one shot would be awesome for them and their family/friends at home.