2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

First time trip to Ireland or Scotland, where do you go?

There are so many great regions to play and explore in both countries that I'm having a hard time picking. I'm curious to others recommendations on where to stay/play for your first overseas golf trip in Ireland or Scotland. I am looking at a week of golf and some sightseeing next May.

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

I was in Ireland for the first time this April and Scotland for the first time last April so I guess I've got relevant info.

Ultimately, you really can't go wrong with either destination. There are so many good courses in both locations that it really comes down to what you want to get out of the trip. You mention that you want to include sight seeing, so that will play a factor.

For a first time going to Scotland, I would suggest going to the St Andrews and playing there. Within 45 minutes of St. A. you can play the Old Course, Carnoustie, and Kingsbarns. Not to mention scores of other top notch courses. The golf history in St. Andrews proper is tough to beat. Get an AirBnB in town and you're good to go for a week.

We did the south/west part of Ireland (Cork, Old Head, Tralee, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Dingle) which involved a lot more driving than our St. A trip but the golf was arguably better. Again, we used AirBnBs for the trip. One thing I noticed was that the courses we played in Ireland were generally more hilly than in Scotland in case that matters.

Since there were just two of us, we booked it all our selves and drove. If you're not afraid of the driving this will be much cheaper than using one of the agencies.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I agree, your first time in Scotland you should spend time in St Andrews. The history and atmosphere of the town are both outstanding, and there's enough golf within an hours drive that you could stay 2 weeks and not get bored. I've enjoyed staying in B&Bs, I like having someone prepare my breakfast every day, and most of the hosts will give you great advice for touring, meals, etc.

The golf in Ireland is much more spread out than in Scotland, where there are 3 or 4 basic "hubs". To hit some of the big name golf courses, you could stay in Killarney. Its a reasonable drive to Waterville, Ballybunion, and Tralee, and even Lahinch and Doonbeg, and the Killarney courses are good as well. If you prefer a less touristy town (Killarney has been a tourism hub for well over 100 years), you could stay further north and utilize a couple of bases. I can recommend the area around Sligo, we stayed at Enniscrone and played there and Carne, with a couple more good courses nearby. Ballyliffin is at the northern tip of the island, with two excellent courses.

If Scotland - what type of sightseeing? Is The Old Course a must play? We took our first trip there last year because we got lucky in the draw for The Old Course and wanted that certainty before a first trip. Loved St. Andrews and plenty to see, but also wanted to take in the Highlands and for me that was the most stunning scenery both on the west coast in and around Glenfinnan, on up to the north and around and near Dornoch and parts a little north of that on the east coast, then through Cairngorms on the way to St. Andrews. Someday, although I'll sacrifice a few days of golf, would love to explore the Highlands and islands on the north/east upper coast a lot more.

ae57hbqj3uzc.jpeg

You are probably better off deciding which are the few critical courses you want to play then choose a country /region. If you only have a week, stick to one or two areas tops. There is little point in spending what amounts to an entire day or more behind the wheel when you could be golfing or goofing off.

Ciao

My first choice would be to do a golf trip or two to Ireland before going to Scotland. I am exploring the west coast of Ireland from Dingle to Westport this September with my wife. I've booked a tee time at Lahinch, but that will probably be the extent of golfing unless there is a little downtime in Killarney or Connemara. Trying to decide if it would be worth going back in May and playing in Clare/Kerry or going to Northern Ireland / Donegal or Clare/Connemara/Mayo. Tough decisions. That is why I'm here for some feedback.

2024 Bag

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> My first choice would be to do a golf trip or two to Ireland before going to Scotland. I am exploring the west coast of Ireland from Dingle to Westport this September with my wife. I've booked a tee time at Lahinch, but that will probably be the extent of golfing unless there is a little downtime in Killarney or Connemara. Trying to decide if it would be worth going back in May and playing in Clare/Kerry or going to Northern Ireland / Donegal or Clare/Connemara/Mayo. Tough decisions. That is why I'm here for some feedback.

There isn't a wrong choice, just a bunch of good options. Many of the most famous courses in the Republic are in the Clare/Kerry area. Donegal/Connemara/Sligo/Mayo offer a lot of great courses, maybe a little less famous, but still outstanding, and a little less expensive. Anywhere you go you can find plenty of "tourism opportunities". I've not been to Northern Ireland, or Dublin, so I can't comment on those.

The big difference between Scotland and Ireland, in my experience, is the driving distance between golfing areas. In Scotland, you have a few areas where you can access 6 to 12 good courses, or even more, within an hours drive of a central hub. I've just not seen anything like that in Ireland, more often there might be 2 or 3 courses. If you don't mind packing up and moving,, that's not a problem, especially if you plan a non-golf thing for your travel days.

Why not both? I've done both Ireland and Scotland on separate rips and on a trip where we flew into Edinburgh and played North Berwick, Gullane 1 and Muirfield. Then we drove to Ayrshire (stopping to play the Kings Course at Gleneagles) hopped a ferry to Belfast and played Royal Portrush and Royal County Down. Outstanding trip with a night time ferry crossing. My other trip to Scotland was split between Turnberry (Turnberry, Old Prestwich and Royal TRoon) and St Andrews (The Old Course, Kingsbarn, and Carnoustie). My other Irish trip was Southwest. Stayed in Killarney and played Tralee, Old Head, Dooks (great course), Ballybunion, Waterville and switched to Ennis to play Lahinch. I'd do any of these trips again in a heartbeat

Wow all those trips sound awesome. The southwest trip itinerary I'm looking at would be to fly into Shannon and hub near Spanish Point for two nights playing Dromoland Castle (Sunday), Lahinch and Spanish Point (Monday). From there head to Ballybunion to play the Old Course and begin three night hub in Tralee (Tuesday). Next day play Dooks and Killorglin or Beaufort on the way back to Tralee (Wednesday). Next day play Ceann Sibeal and possibly Castlegregory on the way back to Tralee (Thursday). Friday we would finish with Tralee and head back to Limerick to fly out the next morning. Maybe pick up a round near Limerick if we are feeling up to it or just settle down for a few more pints. This trip would have less sightseeing since I am doing that in September.

2024 Bag

I had considered Waterville, but needed to limit the $200+ a round to three rounds and went with Tralee, Ballybunion and Lahinch. Anyone think Waterville is worth going to over one of those three?

2024 Bag

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> I had considered Waterville, but needed to limit the $200+ a round to three rounds and went with Tralee, Ballybunion and Lahinch. Anyone think Waterville is worth going to over one of those three?

All four are great, and different people will prefer different courses. Lahinch is my personal favorite, and I've always wanted to give Spanish Point a try, just never worked it out. Consider a B&B in Ennistymon as an alternate for lodging, its a very cute wee town. Ballybunion is excellent, although when I played it in 2016 they had just converted to fescue greens (I think), and they were really slow. I'm sure that's all been taken care of by now. Tralee has perhaps the most dramatic second nine of any course I've ever played. I like your plan from a driving standpoint, and I do think that Waterville might be a really long day, with something like 1-1/2 hours driving each way, and much of it along really narrow winding roads.

I'm in the stages of planning a 40th birthday trip next summer for my brother and I. We are only gonna have 4 days of golf, so I've decided to just stay in St. Andrews and have that be our home base for the whole trip. Right now I'm trying to decide on courses, but the current list is 1. TOC, New, Eden, Castle, Jubilee, Elie, Carnoustie. There is the possibility that we leave St. Andrews a day early, play Elie in the AM, continue on to North Berwick and stay closer to Edinburgh our last night before getting on an early flight the next morning.

The more I think about it, the more I just wanna unpack my bag one time and play as many courses in one area as possible. I've never played links golf before and no matter what I do, I'm gonna feel like I wish I had more time, so instead of chasing rota courses, I just wanna play, learn a little about links golf and enjoy the atmosphere. Probably very little sightseeing on my trip. Gives me a reason to come back I guess.

Driver: Titleist 917 D3 /Oban Devotion 6x
3 wood: Taylor Made 2017 M1 w/ GD AD-DI 7x
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1/KBS tour hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP25/ Nippon 1150GH S
Wedges: 50,54 Callaway MD3 Chrome, 58 Titleist SM7
Putter: Odyssey O-works #9

> @gregkeller said:

> I'm in the stages of planning a 40th birthday trip next summer for my brother and I. We are only gonna have 4 days of golf, so I've decided to just stay in St. Andrews and have that be our home base for the whole trip. Right now I'm trying to decide on courses, but the current list is 1. TOC, New, Eden, Castle, Jubilee, Elie, Carnoustie. There is the possibility that we leave St. Andrews a day early, play Elie in the AM, continue on to North Berwick and stay closer to Edinburgh our last night before getting on an early flight the next morning.

> The more I think about it, the more I just wanna unpack my bag one time and play as many courses in one area as possible. I've never played links golf before and no matter what I do, I'm gonna feel like I wish I had more time, so instead of chasing rota courses, I just wanna play, learn a little about links golf and enjoy the atmosphere. Probably very little sightseeing on my trip. Gives me a reason to come back I guess.

Staying in one spot makes sense to me, and there's plenty of golf near St Andrews. My personal list, adding a couple to your list, would include

Old

New

Jubilee

Elie

Lundin

Carnoustie

Panmure (near Carnoustie)

Crail

I haven't played Eden or Castle. Eden might be a great choice if you want to play on your arrival day, after an overnight flight, drive from the airport, and a bit of lunch. Castle isn't exactly a links, based on its geologic setting, and the reviews seem to suggest its kind of polarizing. Some love it, some hate it, with not a lot of middle-ground. Half of Lundin is links, and the other half runs up the slope into more Parkland type setting, making an interesting contrast on a single course.

Its really not a long ride from St Andrews to the airport, but one of my visits we decided to stay for our last night in Aberdour, just across the Firth from Edinburgh. We made it a sightseeing day, checked into our hotel and then took the train into Edinburgh for the afternoon. It was less than a half-hour to the airport the next morning.

> @davep043 said:

> > @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> > I had considered Waterville, but needed to limit the $200+ a round to three rounds and went with Tralee, Ballybunion and Lahinch. Anyone think Waterville is worth going to over one of those three?

>

> All four are great, and different people will prefer different courses. Lahinch is my personal favorite, and I've always wanted to give Spanish Point a try, just never worked it out. Consider a B&B in Ennistymon as an alternate for lodging, its a very cute wee town. Ballybunion is excellent, although when I played it in 2016 they had just converted to fescue greens (I think), and they were really slow. I'm sure that's all been taken care of by now. Tralee has perhaps the most dramatic second nine of any course I've ever played. I like your plan from a driving standpoint, and I do think that Waterville might be a really long day, with something like 1-1/2 hours driving each way, and much of it along really narrow winding roads.

My wife and I are staying in Lisdoonvarna this fall and were planning on checking out Ennistymon on 'Burren Day'. It could be an option for lodging instead of Spanish Point. Thanks for the tips. Any restaurants over that way that you recommend?

2024 Bag

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> > > I had considered Waterville, but needed to limit the $200+ a round to three rounds and went with Tralee, Ballybunion and Lahinch. Anyone think Waterville is worth going to over one of those three?

> >

> > All four are great, and different people will prefer different courses. Lahinch is my personal favorite, and I've always wanted to give Spanish Point a try, just never worked it out. Consider a B&B in Ennistymon as an alternate for lodging, its a very cute wee town. Ballybunion is excellent, although when I played it in 2016 they had just converted to fescue greens (I think), and they were really slow. I'm sure that's all been taken care of by now. Tralee has perhaps the most dramatic second nine of any course I've ever played. I like your plan from a driving standpoint, and I do think that Waterville might be a really long day, with something like 1-1/2 hours driving each way, and much of it along really narrow winding roads.

>

> My wife and I are staying in Lisdoonvarna this fall and were planning on checking out Ennistymon on 'Burren Day'. It could be an option for lodging instead of Spanish Point. Thanks for the tips. Any restaurants over that way that you recommend?

We had a nice casual dinner at Byrnes, if I remember right. We also had a really good dinner at Vaughans Anchor Inn in Lisconnor. Eugene's Bar is a real trip,

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> I had considered Waterville, but needed to limit the $200+ a round to three rounds and went with Tralee, Ballybunion and Lahinch. Anyone think Waterville is worth going to over one of those three?

We didn't play Waterville on our trip but according to the guys at our club it would be #4 on that list.

If you don't play it this time you've got an excuse to go back!

Put me down in the stay right in St Andrew's camp

Play Old, New, Jubilee, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns and try to work in Muirfield

The town and people are incredible. Some fun places for a pint and some incredible single malt scotches

Great drinks and food and scenery and the whole town gives off a majestic golf vibe if you are a golf nerd like many of us on here

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I just got back from St. Andrews yesterday.

It's life-changing. I mostly stuck to the high spots this time around - Old and New and Carnoustie and enjoyed meals and booze at Dunvegan, Jigger, Ham's - but yeah. I don't think you can go wrong. The whole town is delightful, everyone was super friendly and it's just amazing to stroll around. I spent my first day exploring and I probably walked the whole of it in an hour or two. And I was blessed with great weather every day ... except the day I played the Old Course. Which somehow felt right.

I cannot wait to get back over there.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> My first choice would be to do a golf trip or two to Ireland before going to Scotland. I am exploring the west coast of Ireland from Dingle to Westport this September with my wife. I've booked a tee time at Lahinch, but that will probably be the extent of golfing unless there is a little downtime in Killarney or Connemara. Trying to decide if it would be worth going back in May and playing in Clare/Kerry or going to Northern Ireland / Donegal or Clare/Connemara/Mayo. Tough decisions. That is why I'm here for some feedback.

If it was just one of those areas, you could do worse than start at Galway and go North in a loop to play Connemara, Westport, Carne, Enniscrone, Strandhill, County Sligo (Rosses Point) and maybe Donegal. Its a wild and beautiful place.

• Like 1

> @act0fgod said:

> If going to St. Andrews and you are a golf junkie getting a 3 or 7 day ticket is the way to go. It's unlimited golf on the 6 links courses, other than the old course, and in the summer 54 holes is easy.

I had to chuckle. There's certainly plenty of time to play 54 holes, but walking all 54 certainly isn't easy, at least for an old man like me!

There is a reason almost everyone has great opinions on what they have experienced as I agree with Dave there are pretty much only good options. I have been to Scotland several times and just returned from Ireland last night. If you are unsure if you are ever going to get back to go St. Andrews. If you will come back eventually and hit the others, then I'd still go to Scotland myself as the courses are closer together and allows for more enjoyment as opposed to driving longer distances. With that said the Ireland courses are greener with less roll as they get more rain. Driving on the opposite side of the road is stressful I can attest to there is additional value in staying in one location and minimizing driving.

Again there are no wrong choices.

So I just got back from Ireland/Northern Ireland, and I went for some sightseeing as well. I loved Belfast, and the day we traveled from Belfast to Dublin, we made a stop at RCD. Then we played a spot in Dublin as well. RCD was incredible, and I'm definitely planning on going back. I did The Old Course last year as well, and St. Andrew's is a blast. You've got some incredible golf nearby, and the golf history is unparalleled. I loved both trips, and like what has been said, there are no wrong choices. If it's a once in a lifetime thing, the Old Course may be the best option. You can go to a couple St. Andrew's courses, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, and spend time in Edinburgh as well! It's hard to go wrong, and I hope you enjoy it!

If it's a "first and maybe only" trip I'd probably go spend the whole time in St. Andrews. Just on the theory that if I looked back one day and said I'd only been able to see one little part of UK golf then St. Andrews is the most golf and the most golf history in "one little part" that there is.

I can't speak to Ireland (although I'd love to visit there one day) but it's my understanding that the most desirable links courses are rather widely spread out geographically. What I'm not sure of is how much "sightseeing" is involved in the long drive to Lahinch or Royal County Down. As opposed to just having your eyes glued to the road trying to navigate and drive safely.

> I can't speak to Ireland (although I'd love to visit there one day) but it's my understanding that the most desirable links courses are rather widely spread out geographically. What I'm not sure of is how much "sightseeing" is involved in the long drive to Lahinch or Royal County Down. As opposed to just having your eyes glued to the road trying to navigate and drive safely.

As the guy who did the driving on our Ireland trip, there is no chance to sight see while driving. You will have your eyes glued to the road.

• Like 1

> @"North Butte" said:

> If it's a "first and maybe only" trip I'd probably go spend the whole time in St. Andrews. Just on the theory that if I looked back one day and said I'd only been able to see one little part of UK golf then St. Andrews is the most golf and the most golf history in "one little part" that there is.

>

> I can't speak to Ireland (although I'd love to visit there one day) but it's my understanding that the most desirable links courses are rather widely spread out geographically. What I'm not sure of is how much "sightseeing" is involved in the long drive to Lahinch or Royal County Down. As opposed to just having your eyes glued to the road trying to navigate and drive safely.

LOL, can't describe how much incredible scenery I couldn't appreciate because I working out the driving/roads aspect of a first time visit to Scotland. It got a little better towards the end of the trip, but the first week in and around the west coast/Glenfinnan/then north in the Highlands, my family didn't want me gawking at stuff! Did make a few extra stops now and then, but came to appreciate the folks that just go to hike about a lot more.

Well at least you had somebody in the car to appreciate the sights. I'm always traveling solo and "gawking" is right out! Back in the days before phones had GPS apps just simple navigation was brutal for a solo USA tourist trying to drive on the "wrong side" in UK while consulting printed maps. Lucky I came back in one piece from some of those trips (can't say my rental cars always stayed safe though).

> @Chanceman said:

> > @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> > My first choice would be to do a golf trip or two to Ireland before going to Scotland. I am exploring the west coast of Ireland from Dingle to Westport this September with my wife. I've booked a tee time at Lahinch, but that will probably be the extent of golfing unless there is a little downtime in Killarney or Connemara. Trying to decide if it would be worth going back in May and playing in Clare/Kerry or going to Northern Ireland / Donegal or Clare/Connemara/Mayo. Tough decisions. That is why I'm here for some feedback.

> If it was just one of those areas, you could do worse than start at Galway and go North in a loop to play Connemara, Westport, Carne, Enniscrone, Strandhill, County Sligo (Rosses Point) and maybe Donegal. Its a wild and beautiful place.

This is pretty similar to a second itinerary I've toyed with. Play Dromoland Castle the first morning and stay in Clifden. Play Connemara the next morning with some sightseeing on the way to Westport. Stay in Westport for the next three days and play Carne, Enniscrone, Westport and Mulranny while also taking in some sights in Mayo. From there head back to Clare to play Lahinch and possibly Doonbeg and/or Spanish Point before heading home.

2024 Bag