If you are a 10HDCP with declining length, what clubs do you buy?

tsecor

I just got a new shaft for my driver per a "fitting" at the PGA super store. I now play a 62g project x hzrdous RED. played 18 today and as the day wore on, I was able to dial this in with a D4 setting and I started hitting bombs as phil would say. For me a bomb is 270 and the ball that flew the furthest was a tie between the Tour BX and the TP5X. the shaft was a bit harsh at first but as you get used to it, it feels like it loads and launches the ball nicely. the lighter shaft worked well for me today.

Lessons.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Loads of good advice about equipment, exercising, moving up a set of tees.

At 57 I fear losing distance and am looking into new irons, shafts, and fitness. Sitting at a desk, not focusing on fitness as much as I should makes losing distance along with making sure that I have a greater quality of life a concern.

Practice, new clubs with a bigger sweet spot, hitting closer to the middle of the club face along with better fitness will go a long way towards helping to maintain distance with the added benefits that you will feel better and have greater quality of life.

Stumbled across this the other day. Bernhard is still swinging well at his age, 62, plenty of distance. One cannot argue that he is in excellent shape.

Fitness focus: Langer reveals off-season gym routine

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/2019-bernhard-langer-reveals-season-gym-routine

> @tsecor said:

> Current set up is the 712 Titleist CB. Ive noticed the past 2 seasons I am starting to lose some distance. What clubs would you move to in order to compensate for a decline in distance performance?

I would look at the clubs that maximize efficiency. That way you get the most ball speed you can for a given swing speed. Clubs like the ping i500, the Callaway epics, the Taylor made 790s, the pxg 0311s etc. Having tested/demod them, they do seem to produce more ball speed. They also drop spin a bit and launch high, which tends to give more distance at the slight expense of control on the green side. But in my honest experience, unless you are playing very firm/fast greens all the time the added height is enough to be playable with most of them.

> @tsecor said:

> > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > what does this mean?> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > > A treadmill and a bowflex.

> > >

> > > > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > > A treadmill and a bowflex.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > The best way by far to maintain (or increase) distance is to improve (or maintain) strength and athleticism.

>

> I think im pretty athletic when it comes to basketball and softball but I wonder if yoga would help with golf....what the heck is bowflex???

You’ve never heard of a bow flex? Have you lived underground with no TV for the last 25 years?

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I am 66 years old, I play Ping 410 plus set at 9 degree's, Taylormade M 6 16 degrees, Ping 410 Hybrids 19 degree and 22 degree. Calloway apex 19 irons 5-AW, Callaway PM grind wedges 54 and 60 degree. Scotty Cameron putter. My best advise hit a traing gym 3 -4 days a week. with a trainer. Not a foo foo LA Fitness or country club gym. Flexibility and strength are the keys here. To keep your distance you have to be able to make a full turn, your back facing the target. It does not take a bomber to score well. Make 60% of your practivce short game and putting!!

Players Distance Irons is the category along with properly fitted shafts.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

As most of us will know, first to get is a driver to improve your distance off the tee.

Secondly and equally important is clubs to fill the gap from 170-200 yards.

As for which club to replace your current ones ? Only you will know by either get a fitting ( every year or two ) or by trias and error .

I had found the declining eye sight will also cost quite a few strokes.

I think I have my driver sorted out. Had a shaft change and I'm averaging 245-250 with a bomb of 270 when I really swing it perfect. That's about as good as I can do > @wkuo3 said:

> As most of us will know, first to get is a driver to improve your distance off the tee.

> Secondly and equally important is clubs to fill the gap from 170-200 yards.

> As for which club to replace your current ones ? Only you will know by either get a fitting ( every year or two ) or by trias and error .

> I had found the declining eye sight will also cost quite a few strokes.

• Like 1

> @tsecor said:

> I think I have my driver sorted out. Had a shaft change and I'm averaging 245-250 with a bomb of 270 when I really swing it perfect. That's about as good as I can do > @wkuo3 said:

> > As most of us will know, first to get is a driver to improve your distance off the tee.

> > Secondly and equally important is clubs to fill the gap from 170-200 yards.

> > As for which club to replace your current ones ? Only you will know by either get a fitting ( every year or two ) or by trias and error .

> > I had found the declining eye sight will also cost quite a few strokes.

>

>

Now on your quest to search for clubs for the 170-200 yards length. This would also be the most difficult task for the average golfers.

250-270 driver length can certainly get you to maintain the signal digit index easier. I think I read it somewhere that most single digit index holders can driver the golf balls more than 250 yards.

• Like 1

im going to hit the TM P790's later this week. have read good things about their performance and expanded sweet spot> @wkuo3 said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > I think I have my driver sorted out. Had a shaft change and I'm averaging 245-250 with a bomb of 270 when I really swing it perfect. That's about as good as I can do > @wkuo3 said:

> > > As most of us will know, first to get is a driver to improve your distance off the tee.

> > > Secondly and equally important is clubs to fill the gap from 170-200 yards.

> > > As for which club to replace your current ones ? Only you will know by either get a fitting ( every year or two ) or by trias and error .

> > > I had found the declining eye sight will also cost quite a few strokes.

> >

> >

>

> Now on your quest to search for clubs for the 170-200 yards length. This would also be the most difficult task for the average golfers.

> 250-270 driver length can certainly get you to maintain the signal digit index easier. I think I read it somewhere that most single digit index holders can driver the golf balls more than 250 yards.

• Like 1

Having just that conversation with myself a few weeks ago. I went to Club Champion and got fitted. Now realize I have been a club repair guy in the past and a club fitter. But, I never had access to the myriad of shafts they have at the new fitting groups across the country. Go get fitted at one of these companies to have the best chance of getting the right shaft and head combination. There was a special on for a total bag fitting at 50% off, so I took it. Otherwise I would have just gotten a fitting for the irons. After pounding about 60 balls, using four different shafts with four different heads, I ended up with the Srixon 585 with a Fujikura i95 shaft. I picked up 14 yards with the 6 iron and improved my dispersion.The rest of the fitting resulted in me keeping my G400 Max driver and fairway woods and my G400 hybrids (all have the Tour shaft). Nothing we tried beat them. 2.4 degree launch angle with the putter, with 0.00 dispersion with my Evenroll 1. So I had done a good job of fitting myself with half of the bag, but I knew there was probably something out there that could help with my irons. My bag consists of a 9 degree driver, five wood adjusted to 16.5 degrees, 3,4,and 5 hybrids, 5 through AW irons, 54 and 58 degrees TM wedges, and the Evenroll putter.

Fitting always a good idea but also don’t be afraid to experiment a bit outside box. My “set” of irons consists of 3 head types and 3 shaft types based on a couple of good points I saw earlier:

1. Drop shaft weight. This will help get ballspeed back up. Go as light as you can control.

2. See where the “wall” is. In other words do my gaps start getting tighter between 7 and 6. Or 5 and 4, etc.

I have two hybrids (3 and 4).

5 iron is CF16 Apex with Recoil 760 (75 gram range)

6 and 7 are Apex Pro with Recoil 80 (80 gram range)

8-PW are Apex MBs with Recoil 95 (95 grams).

I feel like I get best of all worlds. Not afraid to pull 5i (185 yard club for me) yet 6 and 7 look better and maintain numbers I need. Plus scoring clubs are blades that I still love and can hit. I’ve got lofts adjusted one weak (5i) or one strong (8i) here and there to get what I need. Luckily I have periodic access to a TrackMan to record distances.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I was talking to the TM rep and he discouraged the mixed sets within the 700 series because the lofts were way off. The 790's are jacked way up and to mix them with a 760 or 730 wouldn't work as I got closer to the 8 / 9 iron. I like blades for scoring clubs as I do not want any chunkiness with the low irons.....just gotta find what works> @cmatthews77 said:

> Fitting always a good idea but also don’t be afraid to experiment a bit outside box. My “set” of irons consists of 3 head types and 3 shaft types based on a couple of good points I saw earlier:

> 1. Drop shaft weight. This will help get ballspeed back up. Go as light as you can control.

> 2. See where the “wall” is. In other words do my gaps start getting tighter between 7 and 6. Or 5 and 4, etc.

>

> I have two hybrids (3 and 4).

> 5 iron is CF16 Apex with Recoil 760 (75 gram range)

> 6 and 7 are Apex Pro with Recoil 80 (80 gram range)

> 8-PW are Apex MBs with Recoil 95 (95 grams).

>

> I feel like I get best of all worlds. Not afraid to pull 5i (185 yard club for me) yet 6 and 7 look better and maintain numbers I need. Plus scoring clubs are blades that I still love and can hit. I’ve got lofts adjusted one weak (5i) or one strong (8i) here and there to get what I need. Luckily I have periodic access to a TrackMan to record distances.

>

>

Im a 10 handicap and just got a set of Ping i210's and they have dramatically improved my ball striking. Much more forgiving than the MP18 SC's I had before. Loved how the SC's felt but I was constantly coming up short.

If you like the look of a more compact head, I'd say give the i210's a look. You can always power spec too if you want more distance.

Yeah you may have to tweak lofts. As I mentioned I have the loft in my CF16 5i bent one weak whereas I have the 8i in my MB bent one strong so that the three heads blend. However, the stronger loft may help in the long irons. Again, many people start to see drops in gaps in their irons. For example I don't know if I could hit an MB 4 iron 5 yards further than the 5 iron. So the stronger loft and head design may put the appropriate gaps back. It's all about knowing your carry #s for each club!

In terms of the TM 700 series.... I mean I probably wouldn't go 790 7-iron right into the 730 blade 8-iron but I don't think there would be any problem putting a 790 4 or 5 iron if that helps you get the launch and carry you're looking for with that club.

> @tsecor said:

> I was talking to the TM rep and he discouraged the mixed sets within the 700 series because the lofts were way off. The 790's are jacked way up and to mix them with a 760 or 730 wouldn't work as I got closer to the 8 / 9 iron. I like blades for scoring clubs as I do not want any chunkiness with the low irons.....just gotta find what works> @cmatthews77 said:

> > Fitting always a good idea but also don’t be afraid to experiment a bit outside box. My “set” of irons consists of 3 head types and 3 shaft types based on a couple of good points I saw earlier:

> > 1. Drop shaft weight. This will help get ballspeed back up. Go as light as you can control.

> > 2. See where the “wall” is. In other words do my gaps start getting tighter between 7 and 6. Or 5 and 4, etc.

> >

> > I have two hybrids (3 and 4).

> > 5 iron is CF16 Apex with Recoil 760 (75 gram range)

> > 6 and 7 are Apex Pro with Recoil 80 (80 gram range)

> > 8-PW are Apex MBs with Recoil 95 (95 grams).

> >

> > I feel like I get best of all worlds. Not afraid to pull 5i (185 yard club for me) yet 6 and 7 look better and maintain numbers I need. Plus scoring clubs are blades that I still love and can hit. I’ve got lofts adjusted one weak (5i) or one strong (8i) here and there to get what I need. Luckily I have periodic access to a TrackMan to record distances.

> >

> >

>

>

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

> @W4LWQ said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > Current set up is the 712 Titleist CB. Ive noticed the past 2 seasons I am starting to lose some distance. What clubs would you move to in order to compensate for a decline in distance performance?

> Move up a set of tee's, isn't that the whole point of them?

>

He wants to hit his irons a little further, he doesn't want to shorten the course.

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

If you are looking for something that will help with mobility and joint strength try Kettlebells. They combine strength training which is great for joint and bone strength with cardio. You get the best of both worlds with one simple tool. There are literally hundreds of free videos on YouTube for all levels of fitness.

> @W4LWQ said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > Current set up is the 712 Titleist CB. Ive noticed the past 2 seasons I am starting to lose some distance. What clubs would you move to in order to compensate for a decline in distance performance?

> Move up a set of tee's, isn't that the whole point of them?

>

It's not always easy to move up to the next box. I am 54 and required (during club tournaments) to play the blue tees @6426 yards. And because of other tournaments, the blues are often pushed back closer to the blacks.. On several holes I struggle to get in to position to get on the green in regulation. Sucks,, but I can't move up to Whites until after March 19 next year.. I am seeing a decline in yardage this year so I am hitting the gym and trying to be consistent with stretching.. I do play the white tees on occasion, but I'd rather play/practice at the distance I will see in the tournaments.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Checking in with my experience. I can still hit it out of sight, mostly because I can’t wear my glasses on the course, bi-focals you know.

So anyways

Loss of distance off the tee is inevitable but you can offset to a degree by sharpening the short game tool box.

So three Long clubs then three mid then come to blows with the green with as many tools as possible.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

PXG XF Gen2 irons and XF Gen2 Driver. Great forgiveness and great distance, particularly with the irons.

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x