If you are a 10HDCP with declining length, what clubs do you buy?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a 72 yr old with declining length and a 8 hc. Instead of buying new clubs, I moved up to the next tee box.

A treadmill and a bowflex.

Mizuno JPX 919 forged or hot metal pro would be my choices, but im not a callaway or taylor made fan.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SiM 7.5* ProForce V2 Black 60X Tipped 1"
TaylorMade SiM 3w 12.5* Diamana D+ 80X
TaylorMade SiM 5w 17* Diamana D+ 80TX
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6, MMC 7-9, MB PW - DG TI 120 X100's
Callaway MD5 JAWS 49* 54*, 59* S-Grinds - DG TI S400 Onyx
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

I will be 50 next year and i already started altering my

equipment to super game improvements iron on the long iron, for me the EPIC line

are the easiest irons, not longer just easy.

8.0* F9 G. P. L. Red S. 44.8"

14.2* TS2 70 S+ S. 42.8"

19.0* SRIXON UT S. 39.5"

4i & 5i  EPIC PX 95 6.0 S. 
6-PW APEX MB LZ 5.5 
56* X FORGED, STOCK 
ODYSSEY WIDE B/W 

Pick something that still retains a good spin number. Playing to a decent standard means control > distance. Get a proper fitting for something like i210, Apex Pro, 919 Forged, PXG 0311 etc. I wouldn't go for the low spin bombers like P790 or i500 unless you're very high spin with your irons already. Whatever it is make sure you get a fitting for good height/descent, dispersion and spin so you don't start to get fliers. Most annoying thing in golf IMO. A perfectly aimed and struck shot that launches over the green is very frustrating.

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik SZ 8* Rogue White 130MSI 70x | Ventus Black 6x

Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* Rogue White 130MSI 80x | Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB, 56* TW Grind, 60* TW Grind Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey WH Pro #7 | Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Srixon Z-Star XV

Ping Hoofer

> @tsecor said:

> Current set up is the 712 Titleist CB. Ive noticed the past 2 seasons I am starting to lose some distance. What clubs would you move to in order to compensate for a decline in distance performance?

Ones you like the look and feel one, that fit your budget and have a reasonable decent angle such that well struck shots will still hold a green.

Just remember, irons are not about distance. Don't go to the simulator and start pounding irons and thinking the longest one of the bunch is the best, because it's likely not. Something that still looks nice and compact, has "traditional lofts" but maybe gives a boost in ball speed will likely be the best solution for you. P790/P760, Apex (Pro), Hot Metal Pro, etc should be on the short list. I would suggest staying away from something like M2/M4 irons that have a 27* 7i and that with a slower-ish swing speed would probably descend at like 42* or something silly.

Taylormade SIM Max 9* - Ventus Black 6x

Cobra Speedzone Big 3 Tour - Accra FX 2.0 370 M5

Cobra Speedzone - Accra FX 2.0 380 M5 (Testing SIM Max 19* - HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 95 6.5)

Titleist 818H1 - Ventus Blue 10x

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6i, Forged CB 6-GW - AMT X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 54.12D, 58.8M - S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Custom Atwood

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

> @agolf1 said:

> ... However, you could also try lighter shafts in the more players' clubs if your strike is still pretty good. **Regardless, at some point a low lofted iron may need to go if the speed isn't there.**

Initially get a gap analysis of your long irons. Do you "hit the wall" with major distance loss at the 4i or 3i... or, is every club longer than, say 9i, losing some distance? Depending on what you find, solutions might be:

* Swap in a hybrid at the long end it you "hit the wall" at one longer iron.

* If mainly a long end problem, you could softstep these shafts to soften the flex and help with launch.

* Or, you might like the TT Dynamic Gold AMT [https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/](https://www.truetemper.com/products/amt-black/ "https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/") family of shafts. AMT stands for Ascending Mass Technology. This means the longer irons get lighter shafts to improve launch, while the shorter irons get heavier shafts to maintain control.

----------

Finally, make sure your problem is not weather-related. During this wet and rainy spring, my group had several players concerned about falloff in iron distance. Behold, when the ground dried and we finally could get a firm foot plant, the distance returned!

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Here's a few good places to start:

-**Titleist**: ap2 or ap3

-**Mizuno**: jpx 919 tours, jpx 919 forged

-**Taylormade**: p760's, p790's

-**Ping**: G410

-**Callaway**: apex 19, apex pro dot

-**Cobra**: F9 speedback

If money isn't an issue, EPON AF-505's

• Like 1
Ping G410+ -- VA Nemesys
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 5W -- AD-DI 70x
PXG 0317x 22° -- Nippon G.O.S.T.
PXG 0311P 4-Gw --Nippon Modus 120x
EPON Tour Spin Wedge 54° 58° -- shimada tour wedge
Lamb Crafted Camden -- BGT Stability Tour

there's not much help for getting older and loosing distance however, after struggling for two seasons I bagged Srixon 7 series and regained what yardage I had lost over the last five years.

[color=#4B0082]T[/color][color=#800080]our[/color][color=#4B0082] E[/color][color=#800080]xotics [/color][color=#FF0000]E [/color][color=#000000]10 [/color][color=#800080]15*[/color]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#ff0000"]Sri[/color][/font][color=#000000]xon 785's w/G P stnd. cord [/color]
[color=#0000CD]Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60[/color]
Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
[color=#006400]Oregon Ducks Bag[/color]
Eureka Ca. 

Thank you. Not weather related from what I can tell. I changed the loft on my driver and started playing a new ball and it seems to have helped my drives a bit. > @ChipNRun said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > ... However, you could also try lighter shafts in the more players' clubs if your strike is still pretty good. **Regardless, at some point a low lofted iron may need to go if the speed isn't there.**

>

> Initially get a gap analysis of your long irons. Do you "hit the wall" with major distance loss at the 4i or 3i... or, is every club longer than, say 9i, losing some distance? Depending on what you find, solutions might be:

> * Swap in a hybrid at the long end it you "hit the wall" at one longer iron.

> * If mainly a long end problem, you could softstep these shafts to soften the flex and help with launch.

> * Or, you might like the TT Dynamic Gold AMT [https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/](https://www.truetemper.com/products/amt-black/ "https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/") family of shafts. AMT stands for Ascending Mass Technology. This means the longer irons get lighter shafts to improve launch, while the shorter irons get heavier shafts to maintain control.

>

> ----------

> Finally, make sure your problem is not weather-related. During this wet and rainy spring, my group had several players concerned about falloff in iron distance. Behold, when the ground dried and we finally could get a firm foot plant, the distance returned!

>

> @Laznasty said:

> Here's a few good places to start:

> -**Titleist**: ap2 or ap3

> -**Mizuno**: jpx 919 tours, jpx 919 forged

> -**Taylormade**: p760's, p790's

> -**Ping**: G410

> -**Callaway**: apex 19, apex pro dot

> -**Cobra**: F9 speedback

> If money isn't an issue, EPON AF-505's

I was thinking AP2's as well to keep the looks I like but get some added forgiveness. I hit the ball straight but my 4I is now 190-200 and not 210 any longer.

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > ... However, you could also try lighter shafts in the more players' clubs if your strike is still pretty good. **Regardless, at some point a low lofted iron may need to go if the speed isn't there.**

>

> Initially get a gap analysis of your long irons. Do you "hit the wall" with major distance loss at the 4i or 3i... or, is every club longer than, say 9i, losing some distance? Depending on what you find, solutions might be:

> * Swap in a hybrid at the long end it you "hit the wall" at one longer iron.

> * If mainly a long end problem, you could softstep these shafts to soften the flex and help with launch.

> * Or, you might like the TT Dynamic Gold AMT [https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/](https://www.truetemper.com/products/amt-black/ "https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/") family of shafts. AMT stands for Ascending Mass Technology. This means the longer irons get lighter shafts to improve launch, while the shorter irons get heavier shafts to maintain control.

>

> ----------

> Finally, make sure your problem is not weather-related. During this wet and rainy spring, my group had several players concerned about falloff in iron distance. Behold, when the ground dried and we finally could get a firm foot plant, the distance returned!

>

I think a shaft change may be in order as well....my current set up has the S400 shafts which weigh ~ 130g each. I wonder what weight would work for me to keep the distances I had. Fighting father time here!!!

> @tsecor said:

> > @Laznasty said:

> > Here's a few good places to start:

> > -**Titleist**: ap2 or ap3

> > -**Mizuno**: jpx 919 tours, jpx 919 forged

> > -**Taylormade**: p760's, p790's

> > -**Ping**: G410

> > -**Callaway**: apex 19, apex pro dot

> > -**Cobra**: F9 speedback

> > If money isn't an issue, EPON AF-505's

>

> I was thinking AP2's as well to keep the looks I like but get some added forgiveness. I hit the ball straight but my 4I is now 190-200 and not 210 any longer.

Unlikely AP2 will get you your old distances back. To gain back 10-20 yards you need to hit an extra club or two, not get new irons. A 190 yard 4i is longer than most golfers out there, and unless you are playing >6700 yard courses, is more than enough to get you around the course.

LPGA Tour Trackman stats show average female pro 4i carry around 170. Lee6 is a little longer than average, but just shot -6 probably carrying her 4i on a 6700 yard course probably 10- 20 yards less than you. Do you reeeeeeeeeeeallly need all new irons to get 10 yards back if your main focus is lowering scores?

Not to derail or discourage new irons because by all means, the new stuff out now is great but I'm not sure you're going to be satisfied based on what you just said.

• Like 1

Cobra Speedzone - Accra FX 2.0 380 M5 (Testing SIM Max 19* - HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 95 6.5)

Custom Atwood

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

those 919 tours are tough to look at and NOT purchase> @Laznasty said:

> Here's a few good places to start:

> -**Titleist**: ap2 or ap3

> -**Mizuno**: jpx 919 tours, jpx 919 forged

> -**Taylormade**: p760's, p790's

> -**Ping**: G410

> -**Callaway**: apex 19, apex pro dot

> -**Cobra**: F9 speedback

> If money isn't an issue, EPON AF-505's

> @tsecor said:

> > @ChipNRun said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > ... However, you could also try lighter shafts in the more players' clubs if your strike is still pretty good. **Regardless, at some point a low lofted iron may need to go if the speed isn't there.**

> >

> > Initially get a gap analysis of your long irons. Do you "hit the wall" with major distance loss at the 4i or 3i... or, is every club longer than, say 9i, losing some distance? Depending on what you find, solutions might be:

> > * Swap in a hybrid at the long end it you "hit the wall" at one longer iron.

> > * If mainly a long end problem, you could softstep these shafts to soften the flex and help with launch.

> > * Or, you might like the TT Dynamic Gold AMT [https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/](https://www.truetemper.com/products/amt-black/ "https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/") family of shafts. AMT stands for Ascending Mass Technology. This means the longer irons get lighter shafts to improve launch, while the shorter irons get heavier shafts to maintain control.

> >

> > ----------

> > Finally, make sure your problem is not weather-related. During this wet and rainy spring, my group had several players concerned about falloff in iron distance. Behold, when the ground dried and we finally could get a firm foot plant, the distance returned!

> >

>

> I think a shaft change may be in order as well....my current set up has the S400 shafts which weigh ~ 130g each. I wonder what weight would work for me to keep the distances I had. Fighting father time here!!!

I'd say try the AMTs or the lighter DGs (115, 120?).

You are on the right track with a shaft change, and/or optimization. Keep everything else (flex pattern, swing weight, length, etc) the same, but drop 10-15 grams from the shafts in your long irons. Good chance you will gain some carry distance, and hit better shots at the end of a round.

> @tsecor said:

> > @ChipNRun said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > ... However, you could also try lighter shafts in the more players' clubs if your strike is still pretty good. **Regardless, at some point a low lofted iron may need to go if the speed isn't there.**

> >

> > Initially get a gap analysis of your long irons. Do you "hit the wall" with major distance loss at the 4i or 3i... or, is every club longer than, say 9i, losing some distance? Depending on what you find, solutions might be:

> > * Swap in a hybrid at the long end it you "hit the wall" at one longer iron.

> > * If mainly a long end problem, you could softstep these shafts to soften the flex and help with launch.

> > * Or, you might like the TT Dynamic Gold AMT [https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/](https://www.truetemper.com/products/amt-black/ "https://truetemper.com/products/amt-black/") family of shafts. AMT stands for Ascending Mass Technology. This means the longer irons get lighter shafts to improve launch, while the shorter irons get heavier shafts to maintain control.

> >

> > ----------

> > Finally, make sure your problem is not weather-related. During this wet and rainy spring, my group had several players concerned about falloff in iron distance. Behold, when the ground dried and we finally could get a firm foot plant, the distance returned!

> >

>

> I think a shaft change may be in order as well....my current set up has the S400 shafts which weigh ~ 130g each. I wonder what weight would work for me to keep the distances I had. Fighting father time here!!!

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > > @Laznasty said:

> > > Here's a few good places to start:

> > > -**Titleist**: ap2 or ap3

> > > -**Mizuno**: jpx 919 tours, jpx 919 forged

> > > -**Taylormade**: p760's, p790's

> > > -**Ping**: G410

> > > -**Callaway**: apex 19, apex pro dot

> > > -**Cobra**: F9 speedback

> > > If money isn't an issue, EPON AF-505's

> >

> > I was thinking AP2's as well to keep the looks I like but get some added forgiveness. I hit the ball straight but my 4I is now 190-200 and not 210 any longer.

>

> Unlikely AP2 will get you your old distances back. To gain back 10-20 yards you need to hit an extra club or two, not get new irons. A 190 yard 4i is longer than most golfers out there, and unless you are playing >6700 yard courses, is more than enough to get you around the course.

>

> LPGA Tour Trackman stats show average female pro 4i carry around 170. Lee6 is a little longer than average, but just shot -6 probably carrying her 4i on a 6700 yard course probably 10- 20 yards less than you. Do you reeeeeeeeeeeallly need all new irons to get 10 yards back if your main focus is lowering scores?

>

> Not to derail or discourage new irons because by all means, the new stuff out now is great but I'm not sure you're going to be satisfied based on what you just said.

Lee6 only has a 5-iron! Probably going 175-180 in the air.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > > @Laznasty said:

> > > > Here's a few good places to start:

> > > > -**Titleist**: ap2 or ap3

> > > > -**Mizuno**: jpx 919 tours, jpx 919 forged

> > > > -**Taylormade**: p760's, p790's

> > > > -**Ping**: G410

> > > > -**Callaway**: apex 19, apex pro dot

> > > > -**Cobra**: F9 speedback

> > > > If money isn't an issue, EPON AF-505's

> > >

> > > I was thinking AP2's as well to keep the looks I like but get some added forgiveness. I hit the ball straight but my 4I is now 190-200 and not 210 any longer.

> >

> > Unlikely AP2 will get you your old distances back. To gain back 10-20 yards you need to hit an extra club or two, not get new irons. A 190 yard 4i is longer than most golfers out there, and unless you are playing >6700 yard courses, is more than enough to get you around the course.

> >

> > LPGA Tour Trackman stats show average female pro 4i carry around 170. Lee6 is a little longer than average, but just shot -6 probably carrying her 4i on a 6700 yard course probably 10- 20 yards less than you. Do you reeeeeeeeeeeallly need all new irons to get 10 yards back if your main focus is lowering scores?

> >

> > Not to derail or discourage new irons because by all means, the new stuff out now is great but I'm not sure you're going to be satisfied based on what you just said.

> Lee6 only has a 5-iron! Probably going 175-180 in the air.

>

>

I saw her average driving distance for the week was 266 but that includes roll out I believe... on a course that was playing really firm. I don't know what all her club distances are because they don't track that for LPGA players as far as I can tell... but either way, whether she hits her 4i/4h/7w 170 or 200, doesn't really change my point, which is that the OP isn't going to get his distance back by switching to AP2's or any club that would fit his eye. He'd need to switch to M4's or something, but in reality, he'd just be hitting a club or club-and-a-half more anyway because of jacked lofts.

I'd suggest he first do what others are saying and a) think about dropping S400 for a lighter weight shaft and b) consider the gym if he doesn't already. Losing speed/distance is a part of life...and like I said above, unless he's playing very long golf courses, I don't see the need to worry about hitting the 4i 200+, when [the majority of] the best female golfers in the world don't and are probably 15 strokes better than he is.

• Like 1

Custom Atwood

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

Edit: made a double post, delete if possible.

Custom Atwood

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

Definitely go get fitted because swing tendencies (speed, attack angle, spin rate etc) will result in different answers. I carry a 6ir around 190-195 and based on my fitting (3 weeks ago) I found the Srixons - Both the 785 and z forged - went much longer than anything else I hit (holding shaft constant). They spun less and generated a lot of ball speed. 10-15 yards more distance on 6ir. Others - Mizuno 919 tour, mp18, Miura mc501, Apex pro, taylormade 730 - were all right in my typical distance. I passed on the srixons because they actually didn’t spin enough

TM M1 9.5* Kuro Kage XT70 X
TM M2 Deep 16.7* Kuro Kage XT80 X
PXG 0317 19* Kuro Kage 80HY TX
Mizuno MP64 4-PW C-Taper S
Vokey SM5 50-55-60 C-Taper S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2