2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

7 hours ago, dhartmann34 said:

If anyone has deep pockets and wants to play either of these courses. 

FB_IMG_1660963962633.jpg

I got to walk both courses a few years back. The LPGA's International Crown was at Merit Club, and the BMW at Conway Farms. I'd definitely put in a bid if I was in town in September. 'Always fun to play a course where the pros teed it up. I believe I've played 20 or so courses that have hosted professional events.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Played Brighton Dale Links: Blue Spruce this morning. Bear joins the 40 club and we only play the finest courses on each other’s birthdays. The radar looked terrible and at 6:15 there was almost no one there. However, it was dry the first four holes, raining for about a hole and a half, and then clear for the rest of the round with low 70’s temps and a pretty consistent (read as: mosquito-free) breeze. I’ll take that any day. I washed the stink of my last round off and was back to good ball striking. Birdied 15, which is not a hole that give up a lot of birds, and only had three bogies (4, 10, and 12) for a 74. I lofted my hybrid down and dropped my 5 wood for a 4 iron. Definitely the right decision. That’ll probably be my set-up from now on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

1 minute ago, ldchristopher said:

Played Brighton Dale Links: Blue Spruce this morning. Bear joins the 40 club and we only play the finest courses on each other’s birthdays. The radar looked terrible and at 6:15 there was almost no one there. However, it was dry the first four holes, raining for about a hole and a half, and then clear for the rest of the round with low 70’s temps and a pretty consistent (read as: mosquito-free) breeze. I’ll take that any day. I washed the stink of my last round off and was back to good ball striking. Birdied 15, which is not a hole that give up a lot of birds, and only had three bogies (4, 10, and 12) for a 74. I lofted my hybrid down and dropped my 5 wood for a 4 iron. Definitely the right decision. That’ll probably be my set-up from now on. 

Oh, to be young again. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Oh, to be young again. 

If I was a TRUE GolfWRXer, I’d swap out the hybrid for a 3 iron and the 3 wood for a utility 2 iron. Both with comically stiff X flex shafts because…ya know…reasons. I’d go X100 (Tour Issue, of course) but that might be too whippy. ProjectX 7.0 maybe? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I got to walk both courses a few years back. The LPGA's International Crown was at Merit Club, and the BMW at Conway Farms. I'd definitely put in a bid if I was in town in September. 'Always fun to play a course where the pros teed it up. I believe I've played 20 or so courses that have hosted professional events.

I was at both of those as well. REALLY enjoyed the Crown tournament. I feel like they'd get some more bidding if it was an online auction and not just "Submit Your Bid" to this email. 

• Like 2

Our comp played Elgin CC on Saturday.  A bit delayed at the start, got through the first 9 unscathed, and then the lightening warning system went off literally as we were putting out on 9.  45+ minute delay in the AC'd clubhouse and then back to it.  Not good to sit and cool down.  One of the toughest things as you get significantly older is playing from wet rough.  The strength to power a club through the rough is bad enough, but add water to the rough and it's just a B. The 8th hole, which is a par 5 with a literal hump on the right side, of a hundred yards, means your tee shot, regardless of how well it's struck, is going to funnel down to the left and into the wet rough.  That's tough.

Surprisingly, the course held up well against the rain and the greens were still lightening quick.  The club championship was in front of us and it seemed they maxed the course out in terms of green speeds and they weren't much slower with the rain.  Except for our host, the member and VNutz, no one played exceptionally well.  My guess is they both found quite a few fairways which made it a different course. 

If it wasn't for the distance, I'd give thought to joining Elgin.  Great practice facility and I'm also a fan of the more traditional designs.

• Like 4

Anyone know what shape Ruffled Feathers is in? Have time to play a round next week while I am in town but no available times at Cog 4, Cantigny, Mistwood. Don't love either HoE or Bowes and not trying to drive all that far from Naperville. 

I have always liked Ruffled Feathers, so I am leaning that way unless it is in terrible shape for some reason. 

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

Our comp played Elgin CC on Saturday.  A bit delayed at the start, got through the first 9 unscathed, and then the lightening warning system went off literally as we were putting out on 9.  45+ minute delay in the AC'd clubhouse and then back to it.  Not good to sit and cool down.  One of the toughest things as you get significantly older is playing from wet rough.  The strength to power a club through the rough is bad enough, but add water to the rough and it's just a B. The 8th hole, which is a par 5 with a literal hump on the right side, of a hundred yards, means your tee shot, regardless of how well it's struck, is going to funnel down to the left and into the wet rough.  That's tough.

Surprisingly, the course held up well against the rain and the greens were still lightening quick.  The club championship was in front of us and it seemed they maxed the course out in terms of green speeds and they weren't much slower with the rain.  Except for our host, the member and VNutz, no one played exceptionally well.  My guess is they both found quite a few fairways which made it a different course. 

If it wasn't for the distance, I'd give thought to joining Elgin.  Great practice facility and I'm also a fan of the more traditional designs.

Love Elgin CC. I've got a client that's a member so I've played it a couple times. Greens are always so so so good! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Anyone know what shape Ruffled Feathers is in? Have time to play a round next week while I am in town but no available times at Cog 4, Cantigny, Mistwood. Don't love either HoE or Bowes and not trying to drive all that far from Naperville. 

I have always liked Ruffled Feathers, so I am leaning that way unless it is in terrible shape for some reason. 

Someone blasted Ruffled yesterday about condition on the Chicago Area Facebook group. Something about drainage being non existent. But I haven't personally been there to tell you current conditions. 

• Like 1

As DP4 mentioned, had the pleasure of playing Elgin CC Saturday. Talk about a treat, and from a course I literally had never heard of until this past year. Lots of undulation and elevation change and lined with trees. It kind of gave me the feel of the long departed Timber Trails if anybody remembers that one. Simply beautiful. With the overnight and mid round rains the greens were receptive but still quick, I cannot imagine the speed without the rains. Ball striking was spotty at best but I got away with my misses and my fixed putter picked up the rest. On the 15th hole I hit into the opposite fairway, approach through a tree and off a cart path nearly into water, flopped on and made 20 footer, that kind of day with a couple par 5 birdies mixed in.

Highlight of the day was a playing partners adventures on the 18th hole. The pin was middle/front and he had a 30 foot downhill putt, which he knocked past the hole with a moderate amount of speed, and watched it trickle out off the green and 50 feet down the false front. Chips up to about where he started, and putts back down to where he was before. Fortunately for him the rains had cleared out the course so the jeering patio section next to the green was empty, which I imagine would have been relentless.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, dhartmann34 said:

Anyone played The Ledges out in Roscoe recently? Enjoyed it a couple years ago and think I'm going to give it a try next week sometime. 

Yes!  I did play, last month I believe.  Conditions were fine, I imagine they are never perfect at a course such as this.  Fairways were shaggy but the ball sat up and they were very lush.  As long as you don't mind the layout, you should be fine.

On 8/20/2022 at 11:29 AM, ldchristopher said:

I was in the foursome just ahead of you.   It was a good day to roll the dice and head out to golf, as you mentioned the weather worked out nicely.   I know you have played out there before but what did you think of the conditions?   They have let some of the rough grow and narrowed some fairways.   Greens have been running pretty true even though I still fix 3-4 ball marks on every green.   A birdie on #15 is definitely nice.  I've played that hole probably 20 times this season and only have two all year.

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

On 8/19/2022 at 9:54 PM, dhartmann34 said:

If anyone has deep pockets and wants to play either of these courses. 

FB_IMG_1660963962633.jpg

I caddied out at Merit club for a couple seasons back around 1999 or 2000.   Pretty good gig really.   Played the course a handful of times but I was just caddying on the weekends for fun and working full time during the week so only reason I got out was because I was friendly with the caddy master.  A fair number of celebs used to be out there and saw Jordan a handful of times but never caddied for him.   Biggest name bag I got was Gayle Sayers which was kind of cool. 

• Like 3

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

3 hours ago, VNutz said:

As DP4 mentioned, had the pleasure of playing Elgin CC Saturday. Talk about a treat, and from a course I literally had never heard of until this past year. Lots of undulation and elevation change and lined with trees. It kind of gave me the feel of the long departed Timber Trails if anybody remembers that one. Simply beautiful. With the overnight and mid round rains the greens were receptive but still quick, I cannot imagine the speed without the rains. Ball striking was spotty at best but I got away with my misses and my fixed putter picked up the rest. On the 15th hole I hit into the opposite fairway, approach through a tree and off a cart path nearly into water, flopped on and made 20 footer, that kind of day with a couple par 5 birdies mixed in.

Highlight of the day was a playing partners adventures on the 18th hole. The pin was middle/front and he had a 30 foot downhill putt, which he knocked past the hole with a moderate amount of speed, and watched it trickle out off the green and 50 feet down the false front. Chips up to about where he started, and putts back down to where he was before. Fortunately for him the rains had cleared out the course so the jeering patio section next to the green was empty, which I imagine would have been relentless.

I’ll be playing there Wednesday as a guest looking forward to it.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

2 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

STAY BELOW THE HOLE.

Signed, 

The guy above the hole, who was then below the hole, above the hole, etc.

Got it!  Now if my alleged golf swing will let me follow your wise advice.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Busy weekend.... Friday - our club's Open tournament at Old Oak.  Roughly 115 players, shotgun start.   As has been the tradition this year (and frankly most of the years), played well enough to win it all, but the 4 inches between my ears got in the way.... again.   Got a sketchy lie on 18, caught the ball little heavy, hit the bank by the green.... and into the aqua..... double. 3rd hole - hit a fade next to the pond on the right side, and instead of punching it out sideways decided to hit a 1% success rate shot from ~190, between the trees.   Of course I hit the tree, bounced back into the pond and..... triple bogey.   Shot 79 and a 76 won.... Figures...  Course was in pretty good shape, but the greens were on the slow side.

Saturday - Arrowhead.   Haven't played there in probably 10 years and forgot how nice the course is.   The weather was pretty suspect, but it drizzled/rained for maybe 30 minutes out of the entire round.  CPO - the course was surprisingly wet - didn't think it rained that much the day/night before, but the CPO was definitely warranted.  Greens were some of the nicest I played all year long - quick enough (maybe 10-15.5) and rolled very true.   Couldn't get the speed right on most of the uphill putts, but the downhillers were spot on.    Struggled with the driver on few holes (snappy showed up) and chunked some chips from some suspect wet lies.    Oh, to add insult to the injury, skulled 3 out of the 4 par 3 tee shots and went 4 over on these holes.  Overall brutal ball striking day - 82.

I'll try to get out to either River Pointe or Aberdeen this week and next Saturday our leagues's playoffs start - Harborside Port.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

4 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

I was in the foursome just ahead of you.   It was a good day to roll the dice and head out to golf, as you mentioned the weather worked out nicely.   I know you have played out there before but what did you think of the conditions?   They have let some of the rough grow and narrowed some fairways.   Greens have been running pretty true even though I still fix 3-4 ball marks on every green.   A birdie on #15 is definitely nice.  I've played that hole probably 20 times this season and only have two all year.

I thought it was in pretty good shape. They had gotten a lot of overnight rain but only had standing water in a couple of bunkers and there was no standing water on the turf. Some of the rough had been cut but some hadn’t, particularly spots near hazards. Greens had decent pace. Not stimping at double digits or anything but probably a 9. BDale is almost always well-maintained. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

15 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

I thought it was in pretty good shape. They had gotten a lot of overnight rain but only had standing water in a couple of bunkers and there was no standing water on the turf. Some of the rough had been cut but some hadn’t, particularly spots near hazards. Greens had decent pace. Not stimping at double digits or anything but probably a 9. BDale is almost always well-maintained. 

You nailed it pretty much.  Nothing spectacular but always solid and with two courses it rarely gets boring.   $1500 for all you can play in a cart is a deal I haven't been able to beat, plus being able to play early with little to no trouble is a huge bonus.  We are always done before 9:30 am.     The rough has been a bit longer than usual and a bit inconsistent because I think they have staffing issues out there like many other places.  The new super has been doing a nice job.  Greens not lightning fast but consistent.   Bunkers are always a crapshoot.  They have managed to keep most of them in decent shape but there are a handful that don't have enough sand in them and gives you little chance of getting under the ball without skipping across the bottom.   Oh well.  

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

I have heard the horrors of early morning weekday rounds due to the golfers who you will find on the course at such times.  Never been a concern as mine due to being a part of the workforce and have done this maybe 5 days in my life.  Well, I had a light day so headed to Highland Woods.  I thought I would be first off but there was a mystery threesome and single in front of me.  Pace was still excellent at 1.5 hours for the front and then they both leave!  Course to myself right?  Wrong.  I play holes 10-13 in 30 minutes and then on hole 14, I ran into the groups that play early morning weekday rounds.  I guess they let people tee off on the back for 9 holes.  Oh my goodness, it was like watching paint dry...never seen anyone walk so slow, pay so little attention to what is happening around them or give less concern about pace of play.  It was actually somewhat of an eye opener as to what life looks like without a job.  Those last five holes took an eternity, to the point I started helping the landscapers who were mowing the tee boxes.  I took out the tee markers and then replaced them when they were done, then moved on to the next tee box!  I am back at work and uhhhh, never again...  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shriner said:

I have heard the horrors of early morning weekday rounds due to the golfers who you will find on the course at such times.  Never been a concern as mine due to being a part of the workforce and have done this maybe 5 days in my life.  Well, I had a light day so headed to Highland Woods.  I thought I would be first off but there was a mystery threesome and single in front of me.  Pace was still excellent at 1.5 hours for the front and then they both leave!  Course to myself right?  Wrong.  I play holes 10-13 in 30 minutes and then on hole 14, I ran into the groups that play early morning weekday rounds.  I guess they let people tee off on the back for 9 holes.  Oh my goodness, it was like watching paint dry...never seen anyone walk so slow, pay so little attention to what is happening around them or give less concern about pace of play.  It was actually somewhat of an eye opener as to what life looks like without a job.  Those last five holes took an eternity, to the point I started helping the landscapers who were mowing the tee boxes.  I took out the tee markers and then replaced them when they were done, then moved on to the next tee box!  I am back at work and uhhhh, never again...  

... I pretty much only play twilite golf for a variety of reasons. Playing 4-6 times a week it is a huge financial difference, my twice surgically repaired back is stiff til noon but mostly I am just not a morning person. There is also something to be said about the temps dropping on the last several holes instead of rising and the sun sets can be breath taking. Most twilite golfers are aware of pace and depending on the time of year the difference between just under 4 hours or closer to 5 hours means the 4 or 5 groups behind you finish or start walking in after 15 holes or so. Summer in Phoenix is never a problem but snowbirds in the winter can be amazingly selfish. 

... When a slow group has the first twilite time it is just brutal and as you said like watching paint dry but thankfully it is the exception. My 2 regular courses back in Bolingbrook were Prairie Bluff where rangers made sure twilite golfers kept pace and Naperbrook where I never saw a ranger at twilite Mon-Fri so the $19 a round meant I might not finish if I didn't have the first or 2nd time. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, Shriner said:

You just got Caspered. The back 9 tee off is a classic Billy Casper Golf Management move. There's not much worse. You get your butt up early in order to get in a quick round only to come to a stop when you run into traffic on the back 9. 

As an early morning player, I have a s*** list of courses that do this. My dollars usually go to the ones that don't, especially during the summer. Hence why I only play Highland Woods when the temp is below 50.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

8 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

You just got Caspered. The back 9 tee off is a classic Billy Casper Golf Management move. There's not much worse. You get your butt up early in order to get in a quick round only to come to a stop when you run into traffic on the back 9. 

... Wedgewood did the same thing late in the day when Leagues went off the front 9. We would play the front in 1.5 hrs then go to 10 to see 3 groups waiting because leagues were going off the front. Can't remember when but front 9 had priority and moved to the front of the line in the 80/90's I think, but at some point they stopped stationing a starter at 10 and coming off the front you just had to go to the back of the line. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

30 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

As an early morning player, I have a s*** list of courses that do this. My dollars usually go to the ones that don't, especially during the summer. Hence why I only play Highland Woods when the temp is below 50.

LOL, got Caspered, good stuff!

10 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

You nailed it pretty much.  Nothing spectacular but always solid and with two courses it rarely gets boring.   $1500 for all you can play in a cart is a deal I haven't been able to beat, plus being able to play early with little to no trouble is a huge bonus.  We are always done before 9:30 am.     The rough has been a bit longer than usual and a bit inconsistent because I think they have staffing issues out there like many other places.  The new super has been doing a nice job.  Greens not lightning fast but consistent.   Bunkers are always a crapshoot.  They have managed to keep most of them in decent shape but there are a handful that don't have enough sand in them and gives you little chance of getting under the ball without skipping across the bottom.   Oh well.  

They did a bunker renovation on White three years ago and Blue is due for one. I don’t know if it’s on their actual agenda or not and I haven’t played White all year so I can’t comment on whether the bunker re-do has held up. I’m assuming it has. The way they’ve tweaked the 16th fairway on Blue to drain has been awesome. They used to just use the natural topography and the result was a pond in the middle of the fairway if there was more than a half inch of rain. Now, it’s bone dry regardless. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

Got out for my first time in nearly a month yesterday. Between wedding planning, work, and a bout with Covid, it was great to get back out there. Wasn’t not expecting to play well given the time between swinging clubs, but actually played decent. Struggled off the tee, but the rest of the rest of the game was pretty standard. 

• Like 1

Had a great time down at Kankakee Ells on Saturday. first time there Lightning stopped play for 45 minutes and there was some more morning rain on

the front nine but the afternoon was delightful

the greens are the real standout for me

tree removal sorely needed but I had a blast and will plan to make the 100 mile one way trip down to

Kankakee a part of my golfing future 

I am early on in playing L and M courses, with just having played Spring Valley earlier this summer

look forward to Lawsonia, culver, west bend and Harrison hills in the future  

• Like 2

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x