Starting thread because it's too early to text my fitter....

mvhoffman

New to me set of i25's will be here Monday. I have appt with my fitter on Thursday for bending. I currently and have always played my irons cut down 7/8 of an inch shorter. After losing a ton of weight I have noticed that the contact point on my irons have been closer to the toe the past year instead of in the middle. Good feeling swing, bad feeling swing both still out towards the toe (still within the grooves). I was thinking about only taking 1/2 inch off of my irons/wedges instead of 7/8.

What are your thoughts? I have always been recommended "standard" from every online fitting but have always had shorter than normal because I have a longer torso and shorter legs.

Any input will be appreciated.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your fitter not have a fitting cart for you to hit some balls with different length clubs? If you don't have the option to test different lengths I play them at standard length and see how they feel. Other option it put tape to mark the location of 1/2 inch off and 7/8 off, choke down, and hit balls at each length. Won't be an exact representation but should give you an idea if one is better than the other.

he does, I was wondering everyone's opinion because I am going to have them cut and gripped so when I go all he has to do is bend them for me

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

> @mvhoffman said:

> he does, I was wondering everyone's opinion because I am going to have them cut and gripped so when I go all he has to do is bend them for me

>

Why rush cutting them? Just wait until you get there so you can try the other lengths. All you are going to do is cause yourself more of a headache if you cut to the wrong length because you didn't want to wait a week.

> @mvhoffman said:

> he does, I was wondering everyone's opinion because I am going to have them cut and gripped so when I go all he has to do is bend them for me

>

If you are having contact issues after weight loss it’s possible your swing changed but yet you are going to pre cut irons based on old swing. Doesn’t make sense to me if you are going to a fitter to have lie checked and adjusted why not just have length tested first.

Whether or not the club length you prefer is the same as what is recommended may not be that big of an issue. Impact location can improve greatly with a lie angle adjustment and proper weighting. If swingweight is an issue due to the shorter length, you may consider testing out Golf Pride's Tour 25 grip on one iron and see how that suits you. Not the best grip on the market but pretty good and it will allow you to play the shorter length setup you like and still maintain swingweight without having to modify the club further.

It's just that I've always played with the irons cut down. I don't know if I have ever payed with "standard" irons. From the minute I started playing golf I was looking up diy gripping and modifying clubs because lets be honest, 15 years ago if you were a club fitter and had an almost 400lb guy walk into your shop would you have taken him seriously. I was blown off numerous times because "guys your size have a hard time swinging" "lose some weight and come back and we'll get you going." This happened at numerous clubs/builders so I did it myself.

I sent my fitter a text and am waiting for him to get back to me.

1st off, congrats on the weight loss! That is awesome!!! 2nd. Mark the grip ends with tape and see what you like. Length will certainly effect contact. After you have a comfortable length, have the fitter/club builder cut and adjust swing weights. Best of luck

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Congrats on the weight loss as @LaymanM mentioned. Depending on how much you lost, it could also be an alignment or swing path issue based on posture. Hope you can find a fix pretty easily and good luck! Keep fighting the good fight.

Driver Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Has your fitter ever talked about swingweight? Cutting off almost an inch will change the feel of the club dramatically without adding weight back to the clubhead.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Do not cut them before you try them at standard length. I realize ubhqve qlzqys played them 7/8 short, but your body is totally different now. Im sure your fitter will tell u the same thing.

If you are adament on cutting them down first you may as well beat them on a log to bend them. A major part of a fitting is determining correct length. You will probably be shocked at how a heavier club performs compared to a light club. Defeqrs the purpose of even going to a fitter if u cut them down first.

If u hadnt lost a bunch of weight and had always played your clubs short i would probably say go for it!

> @chadly643 said:

> An 1/8 of an inch is not much... I have trouble believing going for 1/2 instead of 7/8 will make any discernible difference. You must have a great relationship with your fitter if you’re on a texting basis, why not let him guide you?

7/8 minus 1/2 is 3/8 inch, not 1/8th. Agree to Just let the fitter do his work. Need to tell him about thhe toe strikes and go from there.

Common causes of toe strikes: shaft a bit too short, or a bit too upright. An in-person fitting, using face decals to chart impacts and dry-erase pen test, can help out.

Also, congrats on the i25 irons. A couple of years back when the model came out, I showed up at Golf Galaxy on a snowy January day when the Ping guy visited. I was only customer in the store, and got to test out intact irons of i25 and G25 models - in both CFS Stiff and Regular shafts. The G25 / Regular won out. The i25 felt good, but the G25 carried a club longer.

Unfortunately, I was recovering from a severe roll sprain of my right ankle, and did not feel like ordering new clubs that day. But, keep us informed on how those i25s work. I think you'll like them!

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Long story short...

After doing minor research, my chopped down Cobras are the same length as the “standard” i25. Shouldn’t be a surprise considering going from a GI club to more of a players set. I will be playing the set as standard and will not be needing a whole roll of lead tape to bring them back to swingweight.

Yes, I am very lucky that my fitter and I communicate so freely.

Yesterday marked my last round with the Cobras... unless the i25s don't work out. I have an appt at my fitter tomorrow afternoon to get them all adjusted! Cant wait