MattM97's WITB: 2024 Ball Testing, Bag Prep and Training.

As much as I don't want to accept it I am on the back end of my season which means not many rounds left in my season but I'm playing great golf and my Arccos is saying my handicap is currently at 15.2 not quite sure what I started at but it's definitely lower than before. Hopefully this downward trend continues for me into next year and I can see my goals reached. 

But keeping it gear wise what do I have planned this offseason? Let's go over it before I show everyone what I get:

• Wedges, yes I've mentioned it last year and several times but this is the main focus this off season. I know I could probably have some better grinds and definitely better grooves as my 51° and 56° are definitely pushing 100+ rounds on them since I've gotten them. I'm open to any brand really, I prefer the look of some over others but they have to perform for me. The Cleveland Zipcore, TaylorMade MG3, Callaway Jaws are probably my initial front runner but I'll have the fitter throw everything at me.
  • Driver, not something I'd expect to look at but with my recent driver resurgence I have a feeling my G410 Plus may be spinning too much for me right now, considering I have G410 LST 3W I think taking a look at the G425 or I assume G430 (If that's what Ping names the new model) in the LST model and see if I produce better numbers. I could obviously try other brands but I don't want to go all in on a new driver cause of the cost so buying a G410 or G425 head on the BST would be my preferred move. That's unless something is miles ahead of what I have now but I doubt it. 
  • Iron Loft/Lie. I've been trying to get this done for a while but the fitter is so backed up and I'm hitting my irons decent but I know I need this done just to get gaps down properly and more comfortable over a few irons.
  • Back up gamer. I just thought of this before the post but I've been putting so well with my TP Mills Trad II that I'm thinking of having a backup made. Just because if anything happens trying to find a replacement may be extremely hard and I'm not sure if/when David will stop making putters. I'm not going to stop buying/collecting other putters but if I need that one putter for a money game, tournament, life on the line it's going to be that one.

So that's my plan for this winter, will see how much of this list I get done and if anything else odd happens to my bag but I doubt it. That Lajosi it's still in pieces, have a date set this week to get it together and that will go in the bag for a bit cause it's a gamer not a wall flower.  

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

The Lajosi has finally been built, let's recap the process as it wasn't just install and play or I would have had the putter already. 

So I guess I'm working with a putting coach now. Why am I working with a coach for the best part of my game? Cause why not, it can always get better. Plus he has a build shop and Quintic so I know I'm dialed in when I leave. 

I've never been one to worry about swing weight on my putters being specific. But with how good my TP Mills is feeling I want my others to feel like that, we didn't pull it apart to get exact numbers but it came in at 520g or 540g total at E6-E7 with a 34.5" playing length. That meant the goal with the Lajosi was to get it around E6-E7, not bang on cause I'm not that sensitive to SW just not in the Ds or Fs. 

I'm going to avoid writing a wall of text but a lot of trail and error got me this setup: 

Lajosi Sensor

Head weight: 365g 

Fujikura MC Stiff: 118g uncut ~105g cut

Winn 1.32": 70g 

Total: 540g

Playing length: 34⅝" 

Swingweight: E8 or E9 I forget but feels close to the Mills. 

I do wish I could have used the Garsen Ultimate grip at 53g I'd need to add 15-20g of lead tape under it. I can in the future if I really want that grip just not a big deal. For now. 

What did I learn from that? Well if I want to play my putter at 35" I'd have to play a 345-350g head which I don't quite prefer for various reasons mainly overall weight. I'm quite comfortable using a 34.5"-34.75" putter which drops SW faster. So going down to 355g with this same setup would hit about E6 with my bad math. So that's what the next putter will be. 

And I'm sure you guys have seen this putting studio before. And yes the Quintic was setup LH after the pic was taken. 

20210929_200810-01.jpeg.9fff813df499400c55ae912f3e38eb84.jpeg

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Jealous you get to roll putts there, I’m sure it’ll help.  Guys seem to know their stuff and always give solid advise.  Not just try to push tech like other fitters I’ve seen 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

15 hours ago, Phabs said:

Jealous you get to roll putts there, I’m sure it’ll help.  Guys seem to know their stuff and always give solid advise.  Not just try to push tech like other fitters I’ve seen 

Thanks it is nice to have them local to me, kind of an extra confidence boost that my gear is working for me just that I suck lol. I'll keep going there to get my putters built until I get a small setup to build my own putters but I have zero space at home, my other option is maybe start working for TXG so I have access to all that lol.

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, SupremeSupreme said:

Any updates on the Lajosi or Kevin Burns winning the starting spot? 

I ended my golf season and only got in 1 round with the Lajosi. It was solid but I'm not too happy with my current grip, I'm just not feeling the claw so I'm thinking of going back to traditional after 2 years with the claw. The KB I posted about a small issue with it so I haven't had a chance to game it and won't until 2022. 

Right now I'm going to transition my grip back over to traditional, just work on my stroke and drills over the winter and see what comes out on top in 2022. If I get the membership I want I'll probably rotate putters a bit more. But that will all be updated as time goes on. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 2:32 PM, HoosierHacker89 said:

Great looking bag dude! Good luck with the upcoming 2022 season.

Thanks there will be some changes come the start of the season. I booked a fitting for end of March just waiting for new wedges to be released which will be the focus of my bag this year upgrade wise and possibly driver shaft as well. But want to keep it mostly the same and really just focus on my game, hopefully get that membership I'm wanting and play way more. If I can want to drop that handicap to single digits.

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 1 month later...

Time to awaken this thread as the thaw begins and golf season is around the corner for me, I've been extremely busy and with all going on here haven't had the time to put into my off season golf work I wanted to do like simulator works and gym work so I'll sadly be behind, but I did well last year with no practice and limited playing. 

I haven't updated my bag yet since my last post but I do have a fitting for wedges and checking my driver on March 25th so I'm excited for that. Not sure what other new wedges will be out but honestly I'm just going to say I'm open to everything and hit everything the fitter hands me. Should go well I'll be doing the fitting with Mike from TXG who is a wedge nut so perfect fit I think. Driver I don't think I'll change the head, who knows just looking at the shaft and specs don't really want to dump money into a new driver setup unless I'm bombing it past my current driver. 

Also hopefully I can get my irons specs checked, I think things are a little off I'm just not making clean contact with the ball right now. Could obviously be me but I want to eliminate it being the clubs and then work on that but could also be a lie angle issue and a quick bend can clean things up. 

Finally one of the putters I ordered from 2021 being milled right now. 

Screenshot_20220301-172824_Instagram.jpg.0af98f73931ebbe93170a1ed4d8455e3.jpg

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

Time to awaken this thread as the thaw begins and golf season is around the corner for me, I've been extremely busy and with all going on here haven't had the time to put into my off season golf work I wanted to do like simulator works and gym work so I'll sadly be behind, but I did well last year with no practice and limited playing. 

I haven't updated my bag yet since my last post but I do have a fitting for wedges and checking my driver on March 25th so I'm excited for that. Not sure what other new wedges will be out but honestly I'm just going to say I'm open to everything and hit everything the fitter hands me. Should go well I'll be doing the fitting with Mike from TXG who is a wedge nut so perfect fit I think. Driver I don't think I'll change the head, who knows just looking at the shaft and specs don't really want to dump money into a new driver setup unless I'm bombing it past my current driver. 

Also hopefully I can get my irons specs checked, I think things are a little off I'm just not making clean contact with the ball right now. Could obviously be me but I want to eliminate it being the clubs and then work on that but could also be a lie angle issue and a quick bend can clean things up. 

Finally one of the putters I ordered from 2021 being milled right now. 

Screenshot_20220301-172824_Instagram.jpg.0af98f73931ebbe93170a1ed4d8455e3.jpg

Thank goodness the countdown’s on man…been a loooong winter!!

Good luck with the fittings, will be interesting to see what wedges you end up in. 

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

49 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Thank goodness the countdown’s on man…been a loooong winter!!

Good luck with the fittings, will be interesting to see what wedges you end up in. 

Oh I can't wait, my sanity needs it badly.

As for the wedges I can't wait either, figured just be open to everything get the best possibly fit and make an area of my game that's either hot or not.

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

Oh I can't wait, my sanity needs it badly.

As for the wedges I can't wait either, figured just be open to everything get the best possibly fit and make an area of my game that's either hot or not.

Yeah, me too. Life just isn’t the same without Golf.

Keep an eye on the TM MG3 wedges…they’ve been absolutely phenomenal for me so far…tremendous feel and control!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, me too. Life just isn’t the same without Golf.

Keep an eye on the TM MG3 wedges…they’ve been absolutely phenomenal for me so far…tremendous feel and control!

The MG3 are on my radar for sure if I had a top 3 it would be Callaway, TaylorMade, Cleveland. That's just based on looks but lots of options from Vokey obviously and I seem to get along with Ping as well. Can see why I'm not leaning to just 1 wedge. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...

My fitting is this Friday (03/25) so I'd have to get some swings in before I go, I went last Friday and for the most part it was good except the driver, just hooking everything. I put the driver aside and just focused on my wedges and irons just so I didn't get overly frustrated and feel good about something else in my game. But I couldn't go from that into my fitting so was back in the simulator last night, irons and wedges still feeling really good, hybrid and fairway off the deck were awesome and onto driver. I was able to keep it on the planet and actually straight but I noticed my spin was just way too high, I mentioned this before but it's quite apparent my driver spin is just way too high with the Ping G410 Plus. 

I figured I was just going to look at a new driver shaft but I'm honestly thinking a new driver is needed, the G410 Plus did work when I got it and it still can work for me but if my swing is just off I'll get like 4k spin which is just way too much. So will see what I fit into, the Ping LST would be an easy transition if the current shaft works for me but I'm not opposed to try others I think the Rouge ST Max LS and Cobra LTDxLS or LTDx would be really interesting to try. But regardless of what happens the driver will be a future purchase as I can at least survive with my 3W off the tee for a while unless I'm hitting miles ahead of my current setup. 

Wedges like I have mentioned before I'm open to everything except those new Ping's they're just way too expensive and not the most appealing to my eye honestly. But lots of other options out there, still like the Callaway, TM MG3, ZipCore and saw the new SM9 wedges and like the shape of those plus they have a ton of options so I think these 4 brands will be the main ones for me to look at. Obviously there is Mizuno and Cobra but they lack LH options, to be fair even ZipCore is a bit limited. Callaway and SM9 will give me the most options but I'm not going to over think this just work with the fitter and see what I end up in.

I'll update after my fitting with how it went and what I ended up with. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

My fitting is done, I took a ton of swings, I'm tired and sore but I got a great fitting in and I'm pleased and poorer now. If you don't already know I get fit at TXG they're local to me so why not get fit by the best in my area. The original plan as mentioned above was just wedges and then a driver shaft but after being on the simulator there was way too much spin so F me I'm dropping money on a new driver most likely. 

We do the whole warm up to get a baseline of my driver, go over how I ended up in my driver, etc, etc. There was definitely a ton of spin and a high strike point on my driver, I also had an awful club path today but it was consistent which was good so at least all my swings were consistent.  My current driver and baseline specs:

Ping G410 Plus 9° - Project X RDX Smoke Blue 60S. 

Ball Speed 150.2mph - Launch 12.5° - Backspin 3484rpm - Side Angle 7.1° - Carry 234 - Total 250. 

Max Distance 271.5 - Max CHS 111.9mph - Max Ball Speed 156mph.

Then the testing began, I forget every setup I tried, it was a lot, I wasn't focused on exactly what the fitter gave me just grabbed it and swung so I had almost zero bias, I didn't say no to any driver handed to me to get the best possible fit which should be how it's done. First driver was the Callaway Rouge ST Max LS with an Accra FX 360 M5 shaft, it was definitely better spin wise but just wasn't it, 4-5 swings and we moved on. I did like the look of the head at address and feel much more muted than the G410.

Next was a TSi3 with a Ventus Blue 6X, also nice but nothing stood out to me or the fitter. Then to the Ping G425 LST with the FX 360 M5 shaft it was definitely the best so far but we had more heads to test but it was already clear my current driver was severely lacking. Then we tried a Cobra LTDxLS a driver I had a feeling I'd try paired with a Mitsubishi C6 Onyx 60X and this setup right away stood out over everything else to this point to the point my carry was further than my total with my current driver, the biggest factor was definitely that C6 shaft, I liked the feel and I timed it great, that high miss was now center. We had a feeling this was going to be the shaft for me and possibly final setup but more to test. 

Next up was the Stealth Plus with the FX 360 M5 shaft and while the head was fast and saw distance it just didn't work for me, very hook heavy and I just wasn't enjoying the FX 360 M5 shaft, I couldn't time it up as good as that C6 Onyx, I knew that was the shaft so now retest the heads. G425 LST was on deck next, much better than my current driver and if I had a LST head already the C6 shaft could have been a cheaper fix but it still wasn't the best. I asked the fitter to try the Rouge ST Max LS head with the C6 shaft just since I liked the head and wouldn't hurt, this was a no spin monster and I just couldn't keep the ball in the air, honestly it was sub 1500rpm on a few swings and if we couldn't keep it in the air it won't go in the bag. 

At this point we agreed the Cobra LTDxLS with the C6 Onyx 60X was the winner, we both agreed to take a few more swings just to make sure that it was the one and it was, I just enjoyed swinging this setup and even though I was about 50 full driver swings in I managed to achieve my fastest club head speed after chasing one for fun at 123.8mph so needless to say I like the feel with this setup and have lots of confidence with it. Now I know you may say but Matt how come you didn't try the Stealth Plus or the TSi3 with the C6 shaft? Well my categories of focus were almost all ideal with the Cobra and I honestly didn't want to spend the extra $100-130 (Canadian) on the Stealth Plus or TSi3 head which basically was the Cobra setup with the aftermarket shaft and we didn't think they would be any better than the Cobra. So I now have a Cobra driver at the top of my bag here are the specs we got:

Cobra LTDxLS 9° - Mitsubishi C6 Onyx 60X

Ball Speed 161.7mph  - Launch 12.0° - Spin 2008rpm - Side Angle 4.5 - Carry 287 - Total 311

Max Distance 315.2 - Max CHS 123.8mph - Max Ball Speed 165.6mph 

So in the end Ball Speed up 11.5mph on average, spin reduced by 1476rpm on average, Carry increased by 53 yards, total average increased by 61 yards, max total difference 43.7 yards. 

Needless to say I had no hesitation handing over my credit card for that increase, I would like to add I had an awful club head path out to in but it was consistent on all drivers tested, it did get a bit better as I warmed up but overall it did cause some distance loss and still leaving probably 20-30 yards carry if I clean that up which is absolutely massive for anyone. 

I did do wedges but I'll do that in another posts as this wall of text and rambling is long enough but TL;DR get fit can find 61 yards in your bag. 

Screenshot_20220325-153543_Instagram.jpg.4a8ec19eb6db737f0e36c1852f9f5df2.jpg

20220325_115758.jpg

Edited by MattM97
  • Like 4

Lefty - WITB Thread

• MattM97 changed the title to MattM97's WITB and Massive Driver Gains!!!!

Googily that improvement.  WAYYYYY longer and straighter.  Just shows how important it can be to get fit, especially for the driver.

Interested to hear more thoughts on the LTDx as more people put it into play.  My fitter didn't have it in yet and I picked up 12mph of ball speed with the Stealth over the G425 LST and I figured thats good enough.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Wow!  I’ve casually looked at the LTDx but I may have to take a better look!  I’m not quite as far with my 425 as you are with your 410 but the results speak for themselves.  Thanks for sharing!

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

20 minutes ago, m3fuz said:

Wow!  I’ve casually looked at the LTDx but I may have to take a better look!  I’m not quite as far with my 425 as you are with your 410 but the results speak for themselves.  Thanks for sharing!

I noticed the same thing.  The G  drivers are straight and forgiving, but it seems like you end up leaving a lot of distance on the table.  

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

1 hour ago, J_Tizzle said:

Googily that improvement.  WAYYYYY longer and straighter.  Just shows how important it can be to get fit, especially for the driver.

Interested to hear more thoughts on the LTDx as more people put it into play.  My fitter didn't have it in yet and I picked up 12mph of ball speed with the Stealth over the G425 LST and I figured thats good enough.

It was absolutely insane honestly, I was expecting a little longer with better spin but not this and I'm not even swinging well right now as this was my 5th time swinging a club since October. There's a lot more distance left on the table if I clean up my swing but this is good for now.

As for the new Cobra LTD line my fitter said their Cobra order is on the way, last few years they would order 3 heads of each in LH and RH and this year with the new line they ordered 15 of each. So they are expecting it to be one of the best drivers offered, but there are so many good ones out there, from my fitting everything i tried was great but just not perfect for me. That's why I'm glad I do fittings, saved me a lot of question especially with a shaft that was no where near on my radar.

37 minutes ago, m3fuz said:

I wrote off Cobra for a while but they are definitely worth a look now but I would strong suggest a fitting just because you can test so much and not much second guessing.

25 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

I noticed the same thing.  The G  drivers are straight and forgiving, but it seems like you end up leaving a lot of distance on the table.  

Actually the LST are quite long as well, the 425 LST was probably my second best driver tested today. The other options are definitely more forgiving and you may sacrifice distance depending on the person and their swing.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

I’m just here for the no one needs to be fitted and no one ever has any huge gains comments.

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 hour ago, Phabs said:

I’m just here for the no one needs to be fitted and no one ever has any huge gains comments.

They're too busy booking fittings right now or looking in the mirror and contemplating their whole golf game or just lying about it. 

The "play something you like the look of and practice" doesn't work these days. My old driver while I did and do like the look of it was honestly going maybe 15 yards further than my 4i off the tee on average. Yeah I caught big ones sometimes but I also sometimes had 275+ into a short par 5. 

All I know is this driver while I may use it 14x a round is going to make rounds more fun and it's fit so I'm good for 3-5 years or until I start swinging 130mph lol. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

14 hours ago, MattM97 said:

My fitting is done, I took a ton of swings, I'm tired and sore but I got a great fitting in and I'm pleased and poorer now. If you don't already know I get fit at TXG they're local to me so why not get fit by the best in my area. The original plan as mentioned above was just wedges and then a driver shaft but after being on the simulator there was way too much spin so F me I'm dropping money on a new driver most likely. 

We do the whole warm up to get a baseline of my driver, go over how I ended up in my driver, etc, etc. There was definitely a ton of spin and a high strike point on my driver, I also had an awful club path today but it was consistent which was good so at least all my swings were consistent.  My current driver and baseline specs:

Ping G410 Plus 9° - Project X RDX Smoke Blue 60S. 

Ball Speed 150.2mph - Launch 12.5° - Backspin 3484rpm - Side Angle 7.1° - Carry 234 - Total 250. 

Max Distance 271.5 - Max CHS 111.9mph - Max Ball Speed 156mph.

Then the testing began, I forget every setup I tried, it was a lot, I wasn't focused on exactly what the fitter gave me just grabbed it and swung so I had almost zero bias, I didn't say no to any driver handed to me to get the best possible fit which should be how it's done. First driver was the Callaway Rouge ST Max LS with an Accra FX 360 M5 shaft, it was definitely better spin wise but just wasn't it, 4-5 swings and we moved on. I did like the look of the head at address and feel much more muted than the G410.

Next was a TSi3 with a Ventus Blue 6X, also nice but nothing stood out to me or the fitter. Then to the Ping G425 LST with the FX 360 M5 shaft it was definitely the best so far but we had more heads to test but it was already clear my current driver was severely lacking. Then we tried a Cobra LTDxLS a driver I had a feeling I'd try paired with a Mitsubishi C6 Onyx 60X and this setup right away stood out over everything else to this point to the point my carry was further than my total with my current driver, the biggest factor was definitely that C6 shaft, I liked the feel and I timed it great, that high miss was now center. We had a feeling this was going to be the shaft for me and possibly final setup but more to test. 

Next up was the Stealth Plus with the FX 360 M5 shaft and while the head was fast and saw distance it just didn't work for me, very hook heavy and I just wasn't enjoying the FX 360 M5 shaft, I couldn't time it up as good as that C6 Onyx, I knew that was the shaft so now retest the heads. G425 LST was on deck next, much better than my current driver and if I had a LST head already the C6 shaft could have been a cheaper fix but it still wasn't the best. I asked the fitter to try the Rouge ST Max LS head with the C6 shaft just since I liked the head and wouldn't hurt, this was a no spin monster and I just couldn't keep the ball in the air, honestly it was sub 1500rpm on a few swings and if we couldn't keep it in the air it won't go in the bag. 

At this point we agreed the Cobra LTDxLS with the C6 Onyx 60X was the winner, we both agreed to take a few more swings just to make sure that it was the one and it was, I just enjoyed swinging this setup and even though I was about 50 full driver swings in I managed to achieve my fastest club head speed after chasing one for fun at 123.8mph so needless to say I like the feel with this setup and have lots of confidence with it. Now I know you may say but Matt how come you didn't try the Stealth Plus or the TSi3 with the C6 shaft? Well my categories of focus were almost all ideal with the Cobra and I honestly didn't want to spend the extra $100-130 (Canadian) on the Stealth Plus or TSi3 head which basically was the Cobra setup with the aftermarket shaft and we didn't think they would be any better than the Cobra. So I now have a Cobra driver at the top of my bag here are the specs we got:

Cobra LTDxLS 9° - Mitsubishi C6 Onyx 60X

Ball Speed 161.7mph  - Launch 12.0° - Spin 2008rpm - Side Angle 4.5 - Carry 287 - Total 311

Max Distance 315.2 - Max CHS 123.8mph - Max Ball Speed 165.6mph 

So in the end Ball Speed up 11.5mph on average, spin reduced by 1476rpm on average, Carry increased by 53 yards, total average increased by 61 yards, max total difference 43.7 yards. 

Needless to say I had no hesitation handing over my credit card for that increase, I would like to add I had an awful club head path out to in but it was consistent on all drivers tested, it did get a bit better as I warmed up but overall it did cause some distance loss and still leaving probably 20-30 yards carry if I clean that up which is absolutely massive for anyone. 

I did do wedges but I'll do that in another posts as this wall of text and rambling is long enough but TL;DR get fit can find 61 yards in your bag. 

Screenshot_20220325-153543_Instagram.jpg.4a8ec19eb6db737f0e36c1852f9f5df2.jpg

20220325_115758.jpg

Awesome, congrats Matt…those are some phenomenal gains!!

All about playing what works best for you, and clearly you’ve got a winner there for your swing! 👌🏽

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

50 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Awesome, congrats Matt…those are some phenomenal gains!!

All about playing what works best for you, and clearly you’ve got a winner there for your swing! 👌🏽

Thanks Nate, it was a very fun experience probably my best fitting honestly outside of results but I guess I'm just improving overall as a player.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Lets talk about the wedges now I know a lot of people talk about how a wedge fitting on turf isn't good but isn't a fitting better than no fitting? Still a chance to hit them for sound and feel which is a big factor for a lot of people. The other big issue at least for me and other lefties is grind and bounce options which honestly limits my options for what I can fit into.

We took a breather because at this point I'm probably 100 swings in with about 60 being full effort driver swings I was just a little tired. So we took the time to go over my current wedge game, the shots I hit, my strengths, weakness, where I play, etc. I mentioned that I kinda have a weird gap at the 80-100 yard range and don't really have a full swing shot around that distance I also wanted to change my wedges from 52/56/60 to 50/54/58 if the gapping made sense.

The fitter also asked me any wedges I'm looking at and avoiding, I said I'm open to anything that works but probably avoiding Ping just don't quite like the look and that price point is killer right now. He let me know for everything I'm looking at the SM9's will probably be my best option due to grind and bounce options but if they don't work we can find something else. I was fine with that the Vokey were not originally on my list but after looking at them and setting them down I really liked the shape.

We started off with my PW to get a gapping distance established. Now the one kinda sucky part was they just had standard length shafts and I used 1/2" long so took a few swings to adjust but I was still hitting fairly quality shots so we could test and went 50/54/58 with about 10-12 yards gaps between each club which I'm happy with and I was also quite comfortable with the 58 on full swings so that just opened up more shot options for me.

We did test the Cleveland but found they spun too much, we didn't really look at others as I was happy with the SM9's at this point for the look, feel and the performance, I was basically dropping lawn darts they would hit and stop which is what I like so SM9s were the ones. The stock wedge shaft felt fine and the fitter said no need to upgrade shafts right now as stock shaft works fine we'll just build them to my spec.

So wedges are set, still have to order them as they are back ordered and I couldn't really pay for the driver and wedges at once so I will soon to get them as early as possible.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Those numbers are insane, congratulations. That's huge. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

38 minutes ago, Davethegolfer said:

I'm interested in your thoughts on why Max CHS jumped 12 mph?

To be 100% transparent that 123mph swing was at the end of the session when we knew it was the setup and one of those "I'm gonna go after it" swings. The fastest normal swing I had with the winning setup was 119mph and the reason was that C6 Onyx shaft just works perfect with my timing. The Accra FX360 I think I was around 115mph with it and the same for the Ventus, I just couldn't time the Accra and once I tried the C6 I told the fitter the Accra is out I didn't like the timing

The fitter showed me the strike locations with each shaft and the C6 was basically dead center for me, my stock shaft was despite hefty way too soft for my swing and the Ventus was just off.

It honestly felt the best, like I just had to swing and it would line up, I didn't really have to feel for the head in my back swing it was just there and I could focus on my swing thought. I hope that clears things up a bit, it's just finding the best timing in a shaft while getting the specs you want.

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, MPAndreassi said:

Those numbers are insane, congratulations. That's huge. 

Thanks they would be even more insane if I fixed that club path. The fitter kept saying "you know how much your losing with your club path? You'll be carrying it over your total right now." and it's true I need to work on my club path again I'm too out to in, but in to out is kinda hard for a bigger dude 😂

I had it before just need to see a coach again for some drills and work to get that fixed up then we will see some crazy numbers. I should do the best to take advantage of my natural length on the course, the rest sucks anyways for me lol.

• Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• MattM97 changed the title to MattM97's WITB: 2024 Ball Testing, Bag Prep and Training.