2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MattM97's WITB: 2024 Ball Testing, Bag Prep and Training.

23 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I do have one just some days can't get loose. Like my right glute is bugging me again and it's a muscle activation issue so lots of gym time for that. 

Also need to pick up the shoulder mobility again, can feel the soreness from proper positioning in the swing.

If you don’t have any resistance bands, I highly suggest getting some.  They work wonders when you need to get loose.  I use mine daily, even after gym days.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

38 minutes ago, wam78 said:

If you don’t have any resistance bands, I highly suggest getting some.  They work wonders when you need to get loose.  I use mine daily, even after gym days.

I have a bunch and my gym has a ton and I use them when necessary.

A lot of my issues are deep muscle so like 1 I kinda have to manipulate my pec out the way to get into some knots and the other is just the hip muscles not firing. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

24 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I have a bunch and my gym has a ton and I use them when necessary.

A lot of my issues are deep muscle so like 1 I kinda have to manipulate my pec out the way to get into some knots and the other is just the hip muscles not firing. 

Assuming you own a theragun?  That def helps with muscle soreness and recovery.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

3 minutes ago, wam78 said:

Assuming you own a theragun?  That def helps with muscle soreness and recovery.

I do well off brand one from Costco but it works lol. 

It does help I just have to keep doing my exercises from my therapist. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...

We (just me) did some driver testing while doing a heavy driver practice session on the weekend, didn't break them down on trackman by club/setup just swung, was also working a swing feel after a lesson with my coach. Not the smartest thing to do but I'm not a smart man either, but here is what was tested. 

• Cobra LTDxLS 9° set to 10.5°D w/Mitsubishi C6 Onyx (The Gamer)
  • Cobra LTDxLS 9° set to 10.5°D w/Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX, shorter shaft too not sure on exact lengh.
  • Titleist TSi3 8° set to B2 I think so 8.75° w/Tour AD-IZ 6X

Now for what I'm working on in the swing? A flatter feeling swing to me, not a flatter swing like Rickie with the driver a few years ago but I'm just too high and really casting the club and losing the head and just hitting the driver into the ground. This is something I need to work on with my irons as well, I have a simple drill from my coach to do just waiting on that training aid to arrive and I'll be beating this drill into me all winter, I'm talking like thousands upon thousands of reps but we have to get there first. I also need to work on my setup a bit more, just a few simple reminder for foot placement and where I set up the driver behind the ball. 

With that said the driver will be a little all over the place, if I have decent dynamics I should be able to keep the ball in play, later I can worry about optimal impact and all that, I am leaving a ton on the table but we all know golf is hard. 

What did I see/feel with the different setups? Nothing overly stuck out other than the TSi3 being too low loft, still hitting down on the ball a ton so it's just spinning like crazy, but that AD-IZ shaft I really do like the feel of so worst case if this head doesn't work I just shaft swap it into the Cobra. But there is potential with the head, seeing some get out to 280 while hitting way down on it and spinning the ball 4500, get those dynamics figured out and can see some distance. 

The short shaft experiment with the Tensei is interesting, I may have to add a touch more head weight for it but I definitely saw the highest ball speed with it, saw the most over 170mph with it and topped out at 174mph with I think 116mph CHS, again better dynamics and I could see this one possibly pushing 180+ for me in the future especially if I'm swinging at my current top speed of 119mph.

The standard gamer well, doesn't get me the best ball speed, feel is a bit soft but it just works when I'm swinging well. It seems like a bit of a do it all shaft for me right now but isn't the best just with how I'm progressing physically and technically I'm probably going to be out of it soon which is why a new shaft or driver will be looked at come winter, I still really like the Cobra head just have to see if there is a better setup out there for me. 

I did take a bunch of video, I need to stitch it all together and will throw it up on my IG page. It's not the prettiest, I'll probably get roasted for my dynamics but I want to show progress not the glory. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

A swing video for anyone curious. Don't worry about the data, working on things, will get better over time. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

16 hours ago, MattM97 said:

A swing video for anyone curious. Don't worry about the data, working on things, will get better over time. 

Looking good Matt! I see you’ve definitely lost a lot of weight since last time I saw you…great stuff man!!

Swing looks good too. I have the same issue of being too steep on my swing and hitting down on the ball.

I’m not as technical as you in trying to get it corrected though, I just go by feel and what works on the course and the range.

Definitely respect the work you’re putting in though for sure!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Looking good Matt! I see you’ve definitely lost a lot of weight since last time I saw you…great stuff man!!

Swing looks good too. I have the same issue of being too steep on my swing and hitting down on the ball.

I’m not as technical as you in trying to get it corrected though, I just go by feel and what works on the course and the range.

Definitely respect the work you’re putting in though for sure!

Thanks Nate, yeah lots of work this past year, finally got my sh*t sorta in check will be a long process.

Will be a ton of technical work in the winter, kinda what I like and know, just have to actually get reps in and quality ones too. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

How about an iron swing, not the greatest body was absolutely toast and realized it half way through. 

Also need to address the choking down on the grip thing. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

31 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

@MattM97 why are you choking down? 

Like many other things in life, I don't know.

Definitely something I have to check and address next time out. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

2 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Haha. All good man  probably just something your eye prefers at address.

I gotta fix my setup too hands get too low but may have to check specs on lie. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Back to ball tinkering, I've been all over with low spin then to higher spinning balls but with dynamics change and gear change I think I'm needing to go back to a lower spinning ball. Also now that I know how to use a wedge I can spin the ball around the green in majority of situations. 

The reason for the change is just the absurd amount of back spin I've been putting on the ball with my scoring irons. To the point I've sucked balls off the green if the pin is up front. I could easily club up but it changes a lot for me on tee or second shot. 

Just want something plug and play, trajectory doesn't matter I hit everything crazy high, distance will probably see an extra yard or two off the tee that's fine. But into the green spin and wedge spin are ideal. 

What I've been playing: 

- Chrome Soft X 

- Z-Star 💎 

- Tour B X 

- 2017 TP5X (occasionally) 

On my radar: 

- Left Dash 

- Chrome Soft XLS 

- Z-Star XV 

- ProV1 

I did find the Left Dash in stores finally, played them this weekend. Actually really like this, I think it will be the front runner. I can get them slightly cheaper than retail so I won't cry losing them. 

The CXS-LS and Z-Stat XV I know really well but the trade off is durability but they're often had much cheaper but I haven't been losing as many balls lately except yesterday too many in easy spots. 

The ProV1 while not ideal in a few attributes I have to test it. The AVX is too soft for my liking same with standard Chrome Soft. 

So yeah will see if this helps but also going to look at my lofts as well. 

P.S. driver is still killing me on the course. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

If you want something that spins less off driver I’ve had good luck with the tour response taylormade with a few buddies.  

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

15 hours ago, Phabs said:

If you want something that spins less off driver I’ve had good luck with the tour response taylormade with a few buddies.  

My delivery is so bad right now with my driver with all my swing changes that I'd take a 4000rpm shot down the middle right now instead of my slice or whatever the hell I'm doing.

Also I believe I've found a few of those balls and really don't like the feel off the putter, feels dead to me for some reason.

Lefty - WITB Thread

13 hours ago, rorykoepka said:

I switch off between the left dash and prov1 yellow which is essentially a left dot prov1. All depends on the time of day, temperature, how soft the turf is. You can’t go wrong with testing those two

I grabbed a box of the ProV1's as well after hearing how the 2023 has less spin on the driver and long irons and more like the Left Dot. Now I am seeing the Left Dot on the Titleist Canada site and says not available so honestly I'm not going to go after it since I don't want to love it and pay what people are asking if it goes away again.

I think for me after more testing Left Dash will be the everyday ball and the ProV will be the colder day ball and maybe when it's super dry out. That's if I go with Titleist, I know Callaway and Srixon are no slouch but durability will be a huge factor too.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I hate to admit this I'm on the sunset of my 2023 season with probably my last rounds in Canada coming up very soon. I do wish I could have achieved more goals I set out this year but it was still a massive year for me. I've played 3x more golf this year than I did last year, while my handicap didn't drop much my play is getting better I guess when you're working on your swing it's hard to see instant improvement. Also I did lose 50lbs so the body was always working with new feels, so despite not getting into single digit handicap I did build a foundation for good golf in the future but still more work to come. 

So I decided to treat myself with a quick trip to Arizona in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for some golf, was originally planning to play like 18-36 a day but I'm also sneaking in a PLD fitting at Ping so it will be a fun trip. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

As much as I hate to admit this I'm on the sunset of my 2023 season with probably my last rounds in Canada coming up very soon. I do wish I could have achieved more goals I set out this year but it was still a massive year for me. I've played 3x more golf this year than I did last year, while my handicap didn't drop much my play is getting better I guess when you're working on your swing it's hard to see instant improvement. Also I did lose 50lbs so the body was always working with new feels, so despite not getting into single digit handicap I did build a foundation for good golf in the future but still more work to come. 

So I decided to treat myself with a quick trip to Arizona in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for some golf, was originally planning to play like 18-36 a day but I'm also sneaking in a PLD fitting at Ping so it will be a fun trip. 

Congrats on the weight loss that's a big deal. 

You'll enjoy fall AZ golf for sure.  Jealous of the PLD Fitting 

• Like 1

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

2 minutes ago, Phabs said:

Congrats on the weight loss that's a big deal. 

You'll enjoy fall AZ golf for sure.  Jealous of the PLD Fitting 

Thanks man I really let myself go during the pandemic, finally getting my head right and my body right again. Plan to lose another 50lbs over 2 years to drop 100lbs total, if I do another 50 this upcoming year might just be too taxing on my golf game and I want to make sure I keep it off so slow and steady it will be.

The PLD fitting I lucked out, they had only 1 opening but I took it just had to move my flight a day early but not a big deal since I'm staying with friends and it's actually cheaper. I'll definitely be giving my thoughts on that, see what I end up with since it's been a few years I've been fit for a putter and my setup and stroke have changed and I could be leaving some things on the green. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

11 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Awesome Matt, enjoy the trip man!

I’m sure the putter fitting at PING headquarters will be incredible. Could end up being better than the Golf for a Club Ho, Lol.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

16 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Awesome Matt, enjoy the trip man!

I’m sure the putter fitting at PING headquarters will be incredible. Could end up being better than the Golf for a Club Ho, Lol.

Knowing me probably but also I won't complain about golfing in shorts in November so overall will be a fun trip. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

It's the end of my season, I haven't swung for a few weeks and of course my swing feels great now. 

At least I have a good foundation to work off of this winter. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Arizona trip is just around the corner, will I have any major gear changes for desert golf? 

Will I have a desert club? No, I have no idea what I'd need and don't want to buy an extra club so I'll just take a lateral drop when I'm in the sh*t. 

Changes to the current bag? I think I'm just swapping the driver shaft, going with the short Tensei Orange over my fitted C6 Onyx. Reason is I just can't time the C6 that well anymore, I have to really feel a pause in transition if not the shaft will really deflect down and just feel sloppy. Oh the joys of a swing changes and body change, which is fine just means new driver time this winter. 

Side note I can touch 174mph ball speed with the short Tensei shaft and the C6 it's an effort to time up 170mph ball speed, but I can move the CHS faster. 

Putter: On top of the golf I'm doing a PLD fitting. Ping doesn't require you to bring your gamer or a putter at all I want to bring something. My Cody James I roll really well but if I lose it that's an expensive putter to replace. So I'm tossed up between the Lajosi Sensor and KB 9306, I think I'm leaning towards the Lajosi for the face feel, the KB I roll it well just too soft for me. 

That's all for now, will update when I'm done and then time for off season work. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 11/3/2023 at 2:32 PM, MattM97 said:

Arizona trip is just around the corner, will I have any major gear changes for desert golf? 

Will I have a desert club? No, I have no idea what I'd need and don't want to buy an extra club so I'll just take a lateral drop when I'm in the sh*t. 

Changes to the current bag? I think I'm just swapping the driver shaft, going with the short Tensei Orange over my fitted C6 Onyx. Reason is I just can't time the C6 that well anymore, I have to really feel a pause in transition if not the shaft will really deflect down and just feel sloppy. Oh the joys of a swing changes and body change, which is fine just means new driver time this winter. 

Side note I can touch 174mph ball speed with the short Tensei shaft and the C6 it's an effort to time up 170mph ball speed, but I can move the CHS faster. 

Putter: On top of the golf I'm doing a PLD fitting. Ping doesn't require you to bring your gamer or a putter at all I want to bring something. My Cody James I roll really well but if I lose it that's an expensive putter to replace. So I'm tossed up between the Lajosi Sensor and KB 9306, I think I'm leaning towards the Lajosi for the face feel, the KB I roll it well just too soft for me. 

That's all for now, will update when I'm done and then time for off season work. 

When is the AZ trip? We need lots of pictures man!!

My last round was this past Monday…gonna be a loooong Winter without Golf. 🥶😥

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

When is the AZ trip? We need lots of pictures man!!

My last round was this past Monday…gonna be a loooong Winter without Golf. 🥶😥

I'm here now and finished all the golf. I'll post some pics. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

23 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I'm here now and finished all the golf. I'll post some pics. 

Awesome…enjoy!!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

My golf season is over so this page will soon be turning into off season work and other stuff, but lets recap my Ping PLD Fitting and Arizona trip as well. I did cover a pretty in depth review of my PLD Fitting on the PLD thread, but a few extra thoughts here towards that and myself as a putter. 

If you don't know how Ping does their fittings they use the iPing app and it basically will give some info on a few metrics and spit out a score like a handicap anything plus is great basically a plus handicap but for putting. With the putter I brought it turned out I am a good putter, I just don't talk on here like I know putters and putting, I ended up with a score of +1.7 which isn't amazing but it's good, my issue is just the consistency but my fitter said some guys are super consistent and can't putt into a hula hoop. 

If you've ever watch a PLD fitting video or used iPing they focus mostly on Closing Angle and Impact Angle, with my putter my closing angle was +3.4 or +3.8 a very solid number and my impact angle was something like +1.4 to +1.8. I really should have snapped some pics but I was just in the moment honestly. We tried the test putter for me which was an Anser 4K so just an Anser Head with a 4 neck, not like the Anser 2 with a 4 neck. My stroke was leaning more towards straight and the fitter said it might not work based on their metrics but also said testing will tell the results.

I rolled my 5 putts with the Anser 4K that was literally off the tour truck with a neck added to it, no finish, no alignment, stock weight at 340g which I didn't noticed until he told me. When the results popped up my fitter he was excited and showed me the difference. My Closing Angle was now +5.6 or +5.8 which is elite according to their metrics so tooting my own horn a bit but seeing that is a confidence boost. My Impact Angle went up as well into the +3.5 range so a significant improvement on both. The fitter said "this is why we test, this putter works for you despite what metrics say, I see no need to try anything else this putter and similar would be elite for you." Unfortunately my Lie Angle metric was off and that's cause the putter was longer than mine and I had to choke down a bit, he said don't worry that's a minor aspect, it did throw off my score but if that was the same as mine my handicap would probably be in the +3.0 to +4.0 range so very good putter, double my handicap with proper specs.

I was just curious and asked if we could try a face balanced putter and on the heavier end of my range, no issue was just 5 putts but he handed me an Oslo with a DB shaft. I rolled my 5 putts and score was still solid I think low end of plus. He said I can adapt to most putters and I can make them work cause I'm a good putter but certain ones will stand out more for me which is a good sign for my game. 

We went outside to test more mainly lag putting, the fitter did slap on 10g of lead tape into his suggested weight range 340-360g but said 350g will be a happy medium and we can adjust from there. Plopped down 5 balls from 15ft and had me roll to a hole and I just started putting balls into gimmie range all day long so 350g was my head weight. We also tested alignment with a dry erase marker, just a circle drill from 4ft with nothing and a top line, the top line definitely helped within close, from far out I don't need anything as I apparently use the face to aim.

So we have my gamer, just need to pay and wait for it but the season is over. But what does that mean for the rest of my putters? Well that's going to take some thinking, my specs have changed and many were milled to spec, here's my old and new specs: 

Old: 

Length - 34.5-36"

Weight - 350-365g

Lie - 70-71°

Loft - 1-2°

Alignment - Flange, Topline, Naked

New: 

Length - 34.5" 

Weight - 350g

Lie - 69°

Loft - 4°

Alignment - Topline

Some putters I can't or don't want to bend plus they have flange lines, a few others can be bent as they were bent from the start and I can just remove the paint. A few like my Kevin Burns, Lajosi and maybe NCW could be on the chopping block. But my plan with those is to re-order a putter in my new specs, the KB and Lajosi are reasonable price wise, the NCW/3DP putter is still fairly reasonable. But there wouldn't be a major rush on these, maybe winter projects but the PLD will be the main focus on the bag right now. 

On top of that I also think I'm going to work on learning Aim Point, will be hard during the winter possibly, maybe get something made to feel slope at home. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• MattM97 changed the title to MattM97's WITB, PLD Fitting and Off Season Goals
1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

Old: 

Length - 34.5-36"

Weight - 350-365g

Lie - 70-71°

Loft - 1-2°

Alignment - Flange, Topline, Naked

New: 

Length - 34.5" 

Weight - 350g

Lie - 69°

Loft - 4°

Alignment - Topline

Some putters I can't or don't want to bend plus they have flange lines, a few others can be bent as they were bent from the start and I can just remove the paint. A few like my Kevin Burns, Lajosi and maybe NCW could be on the chopping block. But my plan with those is to re-order a putter in my new specs, the KB and Lajosi are reasonable price wise, the NCW/3DP putter is still fairly reasonable. But there wouldn't be a major rush on these, maybe winter projects but the PLD will be the main focus on the bag right now. 

Big change in loft that's surprising.   Must of developed some forward press since you're last fitting - 

So what you're saying is the ping fitting cost you about 2k due to having to replace putters with milled loft... haha 

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• MattM97 changed the title to MattM97's WITB: 2024 Ball Testing, Bag Prep and Training.