Vintage Players, Do You Use a Vintage Golf Bag Also?

Hi again fellas,

Do you vintage players also use a vintage bag, or do you use a modern bag?

If you use a vintage bag, do you use a staff bag or a carry bag? I think staff bags were much more common back in the day...

Thanks everyone,

Hit em good

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

I bought a vintage bag but don’t use it much. I wanted to have one to get the full throwback look but I forgot how much of a pain a bag with no stand can be. Mine is a 1960’s era Fernquest & Johnson which I bought because they were a Bay Area company.

My “modern” bag, if you can call it that, is from the 1990’s and has no graphics on it at all so it doesn’t look out of place holding as set of vintage sticks. It would look a bit strange to have a Sun Mountain bag with tons of graphics all over it with all vintage clubs.

I recently bought a Stitch bag which has a nice vintage look and a stand but it is too small as I now use oversized non-tapered grips on all my clubs. With normal grips it would probably be the perfect vintage-style golf bag.

Vintage---- I have a Macgregor tartan vintage mini staff bag and then a cheaper Macgregor carry bag. In my walking rounds I have a nylon Vagabond bag which is as lite as a moonlite etc looks like a Jones. Also have an original Ping Hoofer which IMHO does not look too bad carrying a set of Mac blades. On my front line set in my signature I use either a Jones Classic or an Old School non logo Burton Mini Staff. Also another suggestion for display etc I have 2 Ryder Cup Staff bags one is The Belfry and the other is Valderama Spain.

Vintage bags in good shape can be hard to find sometimes and do require some maintenance. The older bags like Burton and Miller use real metal zippers and they will corrode up especially where I live so I use WD-40 on the zippers because it will lubricate and not stain. But basically I see where you are coming from on period correct. If you walk then a Jones Original or a Mackenzie goes with anything.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Per my post on your other thread, I never upgraded so my bags are probably considered vintage anyway!

I did get myself a classic green and white MacGregor staff bag with the intention of using it but in practice I use it to display the (very few) clubs my wife will allow in the house!

There is another thread on here about "seven clubs or less" and one observation I have is that having resorted to using a trolley with my full bag, there is great joy to be had in playing light and going out with a short or Sunday Set in a light carry bag. I suppose many here including me are looking for the purest form of the game and so when weather does not demand carrying extra layers, water proofs, umbrellas etc going out with a vintage pencil bag and half a dozen clubs forcing you to manipulate and finesse shots is a whole lot of fun. Strangely doesn't hurt my scores too badly either!

Whatever you do, enjoy and keep hitting em good!

Not sure if I would label the bags utilized as "vintage". Old(er) bags that I've run across are typically rather worn out. Tears, faulty zippers, grunge, etc. However, prefer to utilize bags that have a classic look. Which includes Millers, Burtons, Hot-Z's, etc. Whatever I run across that has a suitable style and condition. Two of my favorites are a black with gold piping Hot-Z (with matching head covers) and a Diawa Coach (no snickers) tan leather and green cordura bag that's in great condition. Both were thrift store finds acquired on the cheap. Keep the classic implements stored in them, ready to grab on the quick when I have a notion for a classic club round. Additionally, I don't carry. Didn't particularly enjoy carrying when I was in my youth, have no desire to carry at 68+. Have a vintage Bag Boy Automatic trolley that was used when I first started getting into classic clubs. Has that vintage look. However, it's been permanently retired. The ease of utilizing a modernist three wheel push cart offers superior functionality and utility. Pics of the Hot-Z and Diawa with some classic implements.

YWUHDYWZ7KJY.jpg

SHW9RDG7C9Q1.jpg

DDPRMCRHUIE3.jpgStay safe and healthy my classic Brothers. And God willing, one day soon we'll be able to swat around our vintage clubs of choice once again.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I don't use a vintage bag. I bought a Ram FX red and white staff bag a few years ago, but it's just holding clubs right now. My bag is a Ping that I purchased new a few years ago.

Don't carry anymore, use a CligGear three wheel pushcart.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Sort of. I keep my vintage set in a Jones original carry bag that I bought brand new a couple years ago during their famous black friday sale.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

A lot on that depends on where you were. Where I was at you had a lot of gamblers and hustlers and quite a few Pros from up North would come through and play in the spring coming back from their Winter jobs in Florida. We also had a mix of guys trying to make the big show. So around our course there were a lot of staff bags. Most of our regular weekend players played Wilson and so believe it or not had those huge red and White Wilson bags or the Black and white Haig Ultra.

RALBLY9YTJJD.jpgThere's Dale on the senior tour with his 1966 Wilson dynapowers, i had to get the exact same clubs he was playing while using that tour bag, so i could be the same!

I wonder why so late in 1983 he chose to keep using the '66 dynapowers with all the other good Wilson iron models available.

The bulletbacks which were out at the time are rated very highly but Dale still prefered his 1966 models!

Maybe some other Wilson models are better but he was just comfortable with his ones

Thanks Bogey,

Nice bag. Dale's name is a blast from the past for me. Sounds like you're a fan of Dale's. Did you know him?

HIt em good

No i didn't, i actually never heard of him until after i bought the bag and googled him.

I wanted a nice 80's Wilson bag to go with my FG17's (red & white caddy shack type) and searched on ebay and then saw one that looked very 80's and bigger like a tour bag, i saw the sponsorship and name i didnt know (Dale Douglass) then thought it looks like what i want and bought it.

It was $200 shipping to Australia, haha, more than the actual bag $180. But i didnt care, i thought it was cool and i'll use it for the rest of my life, i like old wilson irons from 50's-80's.

Once it arrived here i googled his name and he popped up as a guy who actually played on the PGA tour and even won a tournament, so i realised this guy was pretty good. Then read people say in the 80's on senior tour he was using older wilson clubs than the FG17 (even though they were released) he still played his old dynapowers from 1966. So i bought them too off ebay.

So now i can go down to my local Australian golf course with my Dale Douglass set up and pull of a couple of special shots.

I even got the old white Wilson visor like he always wears in pictures!

Sounds like he was a real work horse on tour, right up there as having the most tournament appearances ever!

So it's cool to play out there with his tour bag, nice piece of history

My two vintage sets - Nicklaus 20ths and Hogan Redlines both reside in a classic red white and blue Hogan bag that stands up nice and straight.

I usually will just take a couple at a time in my regular bag to mess around with. But I have a custom Masters green Jones bag with some Nicklaus homages that the 20ths go in if they go out as a group!

If I came across the right one, I'd buy it, but right now my classic/vintage clubs are in a modern bag. There's not much walking around here as all but one course around here that I've played on insist on you using a cart, so there's no point buying a Jones bag. I'd love to have either a green and white Mac bag, or red and white Wilson, but on the auction sites here they are 1) rare, and 2) expensive. There was a beautiful Hogan staff bag up for sale recently that was priced at nearly 300,000 yen. That's an eye-watering US$2,700! Even the cheaper offering run to around $500, which is more than I am willing to pay just to be "period correct."

For me, the fun of persimmon and old blades is more in hitting the clubs themselves, though it'd be nice to have a cool old bag to stick them in.

• Like 1

Well I did a funny one the other day---- I had been walking some and riding some with the Vagabond nylon walking bag that houses my FC minimalist set. Noticed that the carts were starting to wear it some. I remembered back in my high school days I tore up a Hogan Sun Jet bag that I loved the same way. Well got to looking and found a orange Power Bilt bag that is not really light but very well built. Same size as the old Sun Jets and Hot Z bags of the time. It cleaned up nice so I put my 8 clubs in it. I had it on the cart yesterday morning and one of the owners of my course saw it. got a good laugh and said it looked like out of the Caddy Shack era. That bright orange bag drew some attention to what was in it and I had lots of comments. Played 18 with that set up and shot 79 ( +7) Ended up in a match yesterday afternoon so I went back to the car and got my front line stuff. Ended up shooting 38- 32 = 71. Got really hot and birdied the last 4 holes in a row. Ball striking was dead on it for me. I attribute that to playing the persimmon and FCs most of the week. Main thing is that I am finally getting into shape and can swing the FCs with no pain. I had played 27 holes a couple of days last week with no pain and stiffness. I was ok last night after 36 and I am not stiff this morning. Now due to circumstances my course is closed today but one of the owners told me I could walk as much as I wanted to today. I may go over after Easter services and walk 4 or 5 holes.

Sorry kinda got wound up this Am but my energy levels are out the roof

• Like 2

The only named staff bag I own is one of John Daly's Wilson Fire Stick ones. In fact I saw one identical to it for sale on E-Bay the other night. Mine is better shape. Has sat in the closet in the front bed room the last 12 year holding my "special clubs" LOL I thought about using it but figured it would look dammed odd full of Macgregor clubs. Nothing against Wilson clubs but the only Wilson clubs I own are about 15 Wilson wedges and a single Augusta putter.

I just put my Cameo Equalizer like yours in my main set for a gap wedge. I commented on it on another thread. Yep set at 51* it works well for me. I had used that wedge quite a bit with my Precisions. Works really well for me

Glad to hear you're feeling good and strong energy. Sounds like a great find with that bag.

I'm itch'n to get my new "vintage" set out on the course, but everything is closed. Hoping to get out there soon.

Happy Easter everyone!

Hit em good

That last round was with the front line signature stuff. It really was an up and down day which when I am playing a lot and playing decent is SOP for me. The front side I had a bogie and a double and a lone birdie. the back side I had a couple of up and down pars and birdied the last 4 holes. Those last 4 I did not have a hot putter but got Jiggy on my approach shots. And part of it had to be creative because the wind had gotten up. The creative part I attribute to playing my 8 club vintage set up most of the week. Best round in a couple of years

I store most of my clubs in vintage bags. They are so hard to find in good shape though. I have a set of Hogan PCs that are stored in a Hogan bag, a set of Hogan Directors in a Hogan bag, I keep some vintage putters in a small MacGregor staff bag, and a set of Wilson Tour Blades in a Titleist Staff bag. I had a Vintage Wilson Staff Bag that my wife bought me but when she brought it home there was damage to the leather that was hard to see in pictures. I ended up donating it. When I play, I use a light carry bag if I walk (I have a Callaway and a Hogan), or if I ride I have really nice PING staff bag that I found almost brand new for $8 at Goodwill. It's not vintage, it's from like 2015. Freshman year of High School I used a vintage staff bag because it was all I had and it weighed and absolute ton. I was so happy when our Coach got us all team stand bags.