Ball most like a Pro V1x? Snell or Kirkland or Vice? Or new Spaulding?

FakeClubPro

The Pro V1x seems to me to be one of the best balls but it is a bit too pricey. I have some over the years that I have found Pro V1 and V1x in the woods etc. I have recently bought Titleist Velocity because one of the youtube English guys said it was close to a ProV1x but it is not. I really do not like the ball very much.

I have been playing Callaway Super Soft a $20 a dozen ball which is okay. Wilson Fifty Elite a $15 a dozen ball which are pretty good. I found a Wilson Duo Soft about $20+ a dozens which is not bad.

I tried to order Kirkland 3 piece but I need to sign up for Costco which I really don't want to spend $60 for Costco.

In the past people said Pinnacle Exceptions were close because Titleist owned Pinnacle.

Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it has to do with how many balls you plan on losing...the best value, by a large margin is the kirkland...even if you paid the $60 for a costco membership, which on gas and toilet paper alone is worth it, (plus costco pharmacy is legit), but even without any of that, the kirkland k-sigs compete (at a minimum) with other balls that cost $25-39 a dozen and (in my opinion even some that are more expensive). they are $12.44 per dozen. that's savings in the neighborhood of $12 per dozen (at worst) and could be as much as $24-36 per dozen.

Β 

So, lets say at a minimum, you would play a $25 a dozen ball (we're assuming a 3-piece, but even a cheap 2-piece is more expensive), so that's $12 per dozen savings...5 dozen balls and your all square (plus all the benefits of cool sh*t you can buy from costco)....after 10 dozen, you've now saved $60 which nets you Another 55 golf balls (for free)...and so on....if your one of those guys that can make 3 dz balls last a season, then perhaps a snell, or TM tour response is your cup of tea (or maxfli tours)...

Β 

in my mind,the closest to a prov1 will be the TM tour response...the TP5 is the closest tour level ball to the proV1 and the project (a) was almost indistinguishable from the TP5 (one of the reasons TM has rebranded the project(a) as the tour response)...I gamed the project(a) for the last 9 mos (berfore I found out they were being replaced by the same ball that is now $7-10 more expensive)....

Β 

for me, it's a no brainer...besides, k-sigs fly just as far (within 7 yards on driver and 3 yards on irons)...and despite my belief that i'm on the cusp of shaving about 7 strokes off my cap in the next few weeks, when I have a bad day and lose 5 balls (lots of ob on my course) spending a dollar on every bad swing vs. spending $3 on every bad swing feels so much better...the only other option is to spend $14 per dozen for cheap but playable 2-piece balls (nothing wrong with that) but I have noticed a tangible difference in getting up and down (and even chipping a few in)...this is all from a guy who gamed noodle soft for years and when TM bought noodle and introduced the "long and soft" which totally sucks by the way, I went to Srixon softs feeling like "hey it's only $20 a dozen"....the noodle softs, were $14 for 15 balls....and they were awesome...this is easily a superior ball for about a nickle more a ball...

Β 

All of that being said, I'm super interested in the maxfli tours....

Β 

In summary, if Cost crosses your mind at all with a golf ball, go kirkland, even after spending the cost to sign up, you'll still likely come out way ahead on the golf balls alone. + as mentioned, costco has some super legit stuff from time to time....

I've had trouble with the 3 piece K-Sig in the wind... the 4 piece is the holy grail and I'll be sad when I run out

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9ΒΊ w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5ΒΊ w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17ΒΊ w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21ΒΊ w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43ΒΊ Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48ΒΊ Vokey SM6, 54ΒΊ Vokey SM8 Raw, 60ΒΊ SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Costco sells the kirkland, Vice pro and Callaway tour soft. i actually like the Kirkland balls, i am currently trying the Vice pro (through 2 rounds so far) and prefer the kirkland over it so far. my preferred ball is the tp5 and the kirkland feels very close imo.

PXG 0811

TaylorMade M2 3W

TaylorMade M4 RescueΒ 

Ping I210

Vokey SM8

Evnroll ER2B

The pro V1 and pro V1x are such high quality and great performing balls. Durability is so superior to other balls too. Worth every penny because they can last 36 holes easily if you don't lose them. If you're hitting them into water hazards and out of bounds all day, just play a cheaper two piece ball.

Driver:Β Titleist 913Β D3 8.5Β° A-1Β setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65gΒ stiff

Wood: Β Titleist 980FΒ 17Β° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid:Β Titleist 909HΒ 21Β° Aldila VoodooΒ stiffΒ 

Irons: Β Titleist 716 AP2 4- W Β DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter: Β Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball:Β Titleist Pro V1

Snell MTB-X -$32/dz - similar ball speeds, driver performance, feel. Irons and wedges fly too high for some. V1x somewhat more consistent, better short game distance control.

Srixon Z-Star VX - currently $20/dozen - no reason to buy another ball at that price if your club head speed is 100mph or greater.

Driver -Β SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter -Β Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

I should say that I haven't played them in really high wind, but in 10-20 MPH I haven't noticed a difference between them and my project (a)s that I still have and the random proV1 I find. I do believe the k-sigs are closest to the chromesoft or erc or something like that....

Β 

I will say that I am exclusively talking about the new 2020 version....the 2019 ones were terrible. Whether that is placebo or an actual design difference, I can't say, but I believe these newest ones are superior to the 2019 version....albeit, nothing compared to the 4-piece.

Β 

Once my cap hits single digits, and my game is so solid that I am exclusively looking at QC, durability, and incredible consistency, along with every yard of driver distance, I will likely move to the TM TR/TP's, or W/S 3 piece or maybe the maxfli tour's...I may even give the old proV1's another go, but for now, where I'm good enough to have short game count, but still inconsistent enough to lose a dozen balls in 3 rounds, you just simply CANNOT beat the value....spending less than I would for a nitro "outrageous!" ball or something like that....a top-flight "bomber" ball or something of the sort....just can't be beat...

Β 

Β 

Of the choices you mention, the Snell MTB-X is without a doubt the closest to the ProV1x. I'll admit that I don't know anything about the new Spalding ball, and I don't expect to find out. But the Vice and Kirkland balls aren't close; that's based on testing data, not my opinion.

Also, the best price on the Snell is $29/doz. if you buy 5 doz or more.

Snell or Vice Pro Plus...IIRC the Vice are less expensive. Plenty of tests on YouTube showing for most mere mortals, good enough compared to the $50 a doz crowd. There's always lostgolfballs or other used sites as well. A buddy who plays in our regular foursome gets 'tour balls' in 5A condition for what we calculated to be 48 cents each.

2021 Bag Update:

Β 

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7Β  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-AΒ  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

The choice is clear...Snell MTB-X

others in the similar category (but only a hair less than ProV1x) = Bridgestone Tour BX, TaylorMade TP5x

Not sure about Srixon z-star, have not played those.

Β 

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

fully agree with @Jeff58 regarding Srixon Zstar XV... I play this ball and Titleist ProV1x interchangeably and cannot tell the difference in performance, feel, sound, etc. [my swing speed is lackluster 105mph with driver right now, but I'm gonna get fully beefed like Bryson and take it up to 108mph] ... for additional data/perspective look at spin rates and carry distances for driver, 7i, wedge with various swing speeds on MyGolfSpy. Or just believe me and @Jeff58 and save yourself $28 per dozen by laying down $s for BOGO offer on Zstar XV.

MTB-X I hands down the closest. Someone said that the Tour BX and TP5x are close and slightly cheaper... I tend to disagree that they are that close, at least the TP5x isn’t. The Tour BX plays like the V1x off driver and around the green, but flies lower/flatter, spins less in the middle of the bag, and is softer feeling and sounding. Think of the Tour BX as being a ball that fits EXACTLY between the V1 and V1x. The TP5x, on the other hand, is very different compared to the V1 and V1x. The TP5x flies similar to the V1x, but spins SIGNIFICANTLY less in the middle of the bag, and lacks the extreme bite around the greens that you get out of the V1x (or the Tour BX IMO). The MTB-X is more or less a V1x clone tho, but flies a bit lower and flatter. It spins a TON in the middle of the bag; even more than the V1x, and spins about the same around the greens as the V1x (but I feel the V1x is still spiniest around the greens). In the chart below I tossed in the tiger ball too (Tour BXS) which is an outstanding offering too.

in my opinion...

FEEL (soft to firm) BXS, V1, BX, V1x, TP5x, MTBX

TRAJECTORY (lowest to highest) V1, BXS, MTBX, BX, V1x, TP5x

DRIVER SPIN (lowest to highest) V1, BX, TP5x, BXS, V1x, MTBX

MID IRON SPIN (lowest to highest) TP5x, V1, BX, MTBX, V1x = BXS

SHORT GAME SPIN (Lowest to highest) TP5x, V1 = BX = MTBX, V1x = BXS

DURABILITY (worst time best) MTBX, TP5x, BX = V1 = V1x = BXS

PRICE (lowest to highest) MTBX (32.99 or less in bulk), BX = BXS (39.99 now, 44.99 typically), TP5x (44.99), V1x = V1 (47.99)

Β 

They each have their differences; great choices around. For me, pick off trajectory, feel, and middle of the bag spin. I play the BX on most courses, but swap to a V1x on a track like bethpage black (where you need more spin and descent angle in the middle of the bag to not run off the green)

That said, I’m about to give the BXS a real run, and I love the standard V1 feel. You can’t lose either way. I also occasionally dabble with the TP5x, but only the pix version (love putting with it). Despite it being a great ball, I never play the MTBX; for me it doesn’t maximize my game. It’s a bit too firm, it overspins off driver more than the others, and I just don’t mesh with it. Doesn’t make it a bad ball, just not my ball.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

... he says while replying to a thread he read on a golf equipment forum... ?

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)