2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mitsubishi MMT 105 Iron Shafts

mcoy24

2 hours ago, AWcOBB said:

I’ve had MMT 105tx in P7MC and also MMT 90s in Maltby TS4. “Standard” steel length in P7MC at D7 SW and the TS4 is 1/4” longer at D2. Ive been surprised that both feel very similar and I’m not exactly sure what to make of that. I know anything less than D2 SW does make a playing difference to me. As for performance the 105tx was very straight but right of target while the 90s will miss slightly left of target. My thinking is the 105s would also feel extremely similar to me and maybe split the difference. I never got simulator numbers on them but on course the two are close in distance.

Sounds like the 105 S could be just what you are looking for.  It is pretty stiff—can definitely stand up to some strong swings.  But of course, not as stiff or heavy as the 105 TX, while heavier than the 90/95.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

3 hours ago, AWcOBB said:

I’ve had MMT 105tx in P7MC and also MMT 90s in Maltby TS4. “Standard” steel length in P7MC at D7 SW and the TS4 is 1/4” longer at D2. Ive been surprised that both feel very similar and I’m not exactly sure what to make of that. I know anything less than D2 SW does make a playing difference to me. As for performance the 105tx was very straight but right of target while the 90s will miss slightly left of target. My thinking is the 105s would also feel extremely similar to me and maybe split the difference. I never got simulator numbers on them but on course the two are close in distance.

Experience has shown me there isn't much difference between “S” flex and “TX” flex, when it comes to quality composite shafts in short irons.  Of course, that is dependent on a person's physical strength.  I have 125TX 8 iron shafts, at D7 and E0 sw in SM6 Gap & LW; they were in play recently before buying SM9 wedges.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 2:13 PM, nfreda2211 said:

Currently playing the mmt 125s. For me mmt have a stiffer overall feel and are very accurate. Recoil proto had a smoother feel and gave me a couple more yards. 

So you went from the 110 F5 Protos to the 125s and still find it hard to flight the ball? My 3I 110 F5 Proto has hairline cracks at the hosel now so I need to swapadoodle that shaft, and my heads have barely any grooves left, so was eyeing a set with MMT 105TXs. Is the 125S working for you better than the 105TX? I'm a super-digger that often rolls out long irons, tries to flight down a lot of shots, but can shallow and hit high and middle windows too, so am curious to know if the 125S works better for you vs that 105TX?

50 minutes ago, bladesoshanter said:

So you went from the 110 F5 Protos to the 125s and still find it hard to flight the ball? My 3I 110 F5 Proto has hairline cracks at the hosel now so I need to swapadoodle that shaft, and my heads have barely any grooves left, so was eyeing a set with MMT 105TXs. Is the 125S working for you better than the 105TX? I'm a super-digger that often rolls out long irons, tries to flight down a lot of shots, but can shallow and hit high and middle windows too, so am curious to know if the 125S works better for you vs that 105TX?

I had the Recoil Proto 125 F5 and oddly enough, the 4 iron shaft started to get hairline cracks as well under the hosel.  I replaced them with the MMT 125TX.  Lower trajectory and less spin.  I can flight these too.  Feel wise I'd say the Recoils were a hair smoother but also had more kick than the MMT.  105TX is pretty much the same except that it's just a lighter version of the 125TX based upon my testing. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

9 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I had the Recoil Proto 125 F5 and oddly enough, the 4 iron shaft started to get hairline cracks as well under the hosel.  I replaced them with the MMT 125TX.  Lower trajectory and less spin.  I can flight these too.  Feel wise I'd say the Recoils were a hair smoother but also had more kick than the MMT.  105TX is pretty much the same except that it's just a lighter version of the 125TX based upon my testing. 

Thanks. I was just reading the thread on the Axioms too. Seems a lotta fans for those as well. When you say "Kick": is that meaning you caught more fliers, or had greater dispersion, or a draw swing generated a snap or hook?

6 hours ago, bladesoshanter said:

Thanks. I was just reading the thread on the Axioms too. Seems a lotta fans for those as well. When you say "Kick": is that meaning you caught more fliers, or had greater dispersion, or a draw swing generated a snap or hook?

The feel of the shaft loading.  More linear and stout shafts don't kick as much. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

7 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

The feel of the shaft loading.  More linear and stout shafts don't kick as much. 

Thanks. Funny: I always felt a shaft that I could feel too much load or kick was one I'd overpower and TM dead-yank into the berry bushes. Fine line between bliss and pain. I never liked super-stout and I guess linear shafts. Is the MMT 105TX like that? Stout and linear?

11 hours ago, bladesoshanter said:

I went from the recoil 110 f4 to the mmt 125s. Switched to the mmt 105s for a bit and now back to the 125s

2 hours ago, bladesoshanter said:

Thanks. Funny: I always felt a shaft that I could feel too much load or kick was one I'd overpower and TM dead-yank into the berry bushes. Fine line between bliss and pain. I never liked super-stout and I guess linear shafts. Is the MMT 105TX like that? Stout and linear?

I wouldn't call them overly stout but at the same time, they're not noodles either.  It feels like it's tip stiff but has a softer mid with a stiff handle. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am debating between the mmt 105s (105g), 105tx (113g) or 125s (124g) (only taper iron shafts are available) for my 52 degree wedge. I have a 116g AMT Black S300 shaft in my 48 degree T150 gap wedge. Id like to keep the weight in my 52 degree similar to that but worried the TX will be too stiff. My focus is trying to maximize spin, consistency and accuracy while keeping good gapping. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would look into the MMT scoring wedge shaft… the weights are a better match.

• Like 2

Cobra Darkspeed Ls 8* - Project X HZRDUS 6.0 (matte black)

Titleist TSi2 - Oban Devotion S

Titleist 818H2 (19*) - Oban Devotion S
Titleist AP2 (4-GW) - Project X PXi 6.0
Taylormade MG3 54 and 58
Kari Lajosi DD201 - Gunmetal / Black 303SS / 345g 67.5* / 3.5*

Just now, Veebee3 said:

I am debating between the mmt 105s (105g), 105tx (113g) or 125s (124g) (only taper iron shafts are available) for my 52 degree wedge. I have a 116g AMT Black S300 shaft in my 48 degree T150 gap wedge. Id like to keep the weight in my 52 degree similar to that but worried the TX will be too stiff. My focus is trying to maximize spin, consistency and accuracy while keeping good gapping. Any thoughts or suggestions?

MMT Scoring wedge 105S since you want max spin. 

• Like 1

Just now, Veebee3 said:

I agree but for some reason Taylormade and golf galaxy only offer the iron shafts as options. 

Probably because they're a specialty shaft.  The standard MMT 105S should work fine.  Only difference is that it won't spin as much obviously. 

Does anyone have experience with both DG 120 X100 and MMT 105TX? If the MMT is modeled after X100 I assume these 2 shafts will feel nearly identical given that the MMT 105TX is a raw weight of 117 grams (not 113 as stated on the spec sheet). If anyone can compare the two it would be much appreciated as I’m trying to decide between them. Thanks!

Imo the 105's are the stiffest feeling shaft in the MMT lineup ...yes even more than the lower torque 125's. Imo shaft weight plays a part in how a shaft flexes dynamically and it can make a heavier shaft flex more than lighter one against itself, under certain conditions. 

Edited by JD3
  • Like 3

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

15 hours ago, JD3 said:

Imo the 105's are the stiffest feeling shaft in the MMT lineup ...yes even more than the lower torque 125's. Imo shaft weight plays a part in how a shaft flexes dynamically and it can make a heavier shaft flex more than lighter one against itself, under certain conditions. 

Thanks for the info. If the 105Tx plays as stiff as the dynamic gold 120 X100 I’ll prob go that route but if it’s softer then it’s a no go for me. No where around me to try the TX flex unfortunately

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rorykoepka said:

Does anyone have experience with both DG 120 X100 and MMT 105TX? If the MMT is modeled after X100 I assume these 2 shafts will feel nearly identical given that the MMT 105TX is a raw weight of 117 grams (not 113 as stated on the spec sheet). If anyone can compare the two it would be much appreciated as I’m trying to decide between them. Thanks!

Very similar launch/spin.  Static weight wise they will be pretty close but the MMT are tip heavy so they swing weight out on the high side. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rorykoepka said:

Thanks for the info. If the 105Tx plays as stiff as the dynamic gold 120 X100 I’ll prob go that route but if it’s softer then it’s a no go for me. No where around me to try the TX flex unfortunately

I wouldn't say they're softer by any means, however, they seem have a little more kick to them than their DG counterparts. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I wouldn't say they're softer by any means, however, they seem have a little more kick to them than their DG counterparts. 

Awesome thanks, I was really hoping you would chime in. I’d be blindly buying them. If you had to take a wild guess do you think it would be worth hard stepping the 105TX? Just trying to replicate the 120 X100 feel (felt light and linear) as much as possible while protecting the joints

53 minutes ago, rorykoepka said:

Awesome thanks, I was really hoping you would chime in. I’d be blindly buying them. If you had to take a wild guess do you think it would be worth hard stepping the 105TX? Just trying to replicate the 120 X100 feel (felt light and linear) as much as possible while protecting the joints

Jmho but I wouldnt hard step them ...they are plenty stiff. If anything more than DG120x. The combination of graphite and steel can really produce very firm shafts. If you're going to hard step them and change their playing characteristics, just consider the 125's. Again jmho 

Edited by JD3

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

delete

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, JD3 said:

Jmho but I wouldnt hard step them ...they are plenty stiff. If anything more than DG120x. The combination of graphite and steel can really produce very firm shafts. If you're going to hard step them and change their playing characteristics, just consider the 125's. Again jmho 

So (depending on a person's swing) the 125 might give one the feel it is loading more than the 105, eh?

3 hours ago, bladesoshanter said:

So (depending on a person's swing) the 125 might give one the feel it is loading more than the 105, eh?

I think swing matters but also just the shaft itself ...the 20 extra grams in the shaft of the 125 relative to its bend points will stress the shaft more. 

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, pepperonipies said:

So do we think coming from a DG 105 S300 the MMT 105S is best? And what if 105 weight is the lower end for me? I feel like I need 115-120g (got along with Modus 120S) but worried if MMT 125S would be too much since it seems graphites tend to feel or play stiffer.

I wouldn't worry. MMT is tip heavy shaft. 

12 hours ago, pepperonipies said:

As in you think 125S would be ok or 105S is fine? I’m ok with the 105 weight range but just looking to tighten up the dispersion which is why I’m considering going back to the heavier weight in the 125. 

I think MMT 105 should be fine.  It's plenty stiff.  Especially coming from Modus S 120. It definitely feels more stout then Modus 120 Stiff. Not sure which iron heads you are looking to install MMT 105 but one thing I can say going from steel to graphite is, more muted feel at impact.  Especially if you installing on soft forged irons. 

Edited by JS Golf

8 hours ago, pepperonipies said:

So do we think coming from a DG 105 S300 the MMT 105S is best? And what if 105 weight is the lower end for me? I feel like I need 115-120g (got along with Modus 120S) but worried if MMT 125S would be too much since it seems graphites tend to feel or play stiffer.

There is no general difference in terms of being stiffer between materials. There are profiles in steel that feel soft vs stiff to individual players no different than some models of graphite that feel one way or another.  

You need to swing the shafts with a LM, and while a bit harder to find try the 105 TX as its 10g heavier and you can easily soft step it if to you it feels a bit stout but want softer.

Get the weight first, then profile, then fine tune flex 🙂