Listening to your Custom Fitter Recs or Not..

Dammitplo

Hey guys, 

New to the forum here! I just got fitted today at Club Champion and while I came in with no ego, I did have my eye on Mizuno JPX 921 Forged. I signed up for the iron fitting, after having played some hand-me-downs from 2008 for the last year or so (Callaway X-20). I feel like I've made a lot of improvement in my game and really wanted to get my own set of irons.

I went through the process and the fitter recommended shaft that I didn't have any disagreement with it (NS 950 R, -.5") but what it really came down to was the head based off 3 pricing tiers (in the order of her highest rec to lowest):

1. Callaway Mavrik 

2. Titlest T300

3. Mizuno JPX 921 Forged (Didn't hit the Hot Metal too well)

I'm a mid-handicap/beginner but been putting in time on the course, range and lessons. I wanted some irons that I could grow and develop into vs using the old set from my dad which were on the heavier side. At the end of the session, I didn't go with the Mavrik based on pricing and fully custom (Shaft wasn't available for it). While the Mizunos (which I didn't hit great in terms of dispersion) were closer in range to what I wanted to spend, I went with the T300 based on the Fitter's recommendation and also more affordable.

I'm either having buyers remorse or being stubborn (some of both), but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with fitting and if they ever went the other direction rather than the fitter's rec. I do want those 921s but the fitter really got me saying I wouldn't see a lot of improvment if I gamed those vs the T300s. I think I have 24 hrs to change my order.. so hopefully someone can help me out!

Thanks in advance!

Can you get pxg gen 2’s for less ?

whats the cost spread, mavrik will be old news in 45 days fwiw

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

11 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Can you get pxg gen 2’s for less ?

whats the cost spread, mavrik will be old news in 45 days fwiw

Thanks for the heads up and reply.

Not sure about the PXGs. The fitting just came down to the 3 heads I listed.

The Mavriks were $1500 (5-GW), Mizuno JPX 921 Forged were $1200 and T300 $1000. 

I'm telling myself I'll grow into the Mizunos but I really can't say for certain. I do plan on having 2 bags at some point but the focus is really getting a set for myself and not playing the hand-me-downs I've been using. 

Edited by Dammitplo
update reply

I’m a mizuno and Ping guy ... and biased

i will say my +3 pal that has played in two US Senior Opens recently ... plays t300’s

EvnRoll ER9

I get the biased part.. I've had my eyes on the 921s since they came out. If I'm going to put money into my game, I feel like I should go against the fitter and just get the Mizuno 921s instead of T300s. Towards the end of the fitting, it definitely felt more "sales-y" in her trying to close the deal. Thoughts?

That's a tough one. On one hand, you want irons that you enjoy playing and never want to feel like you settled. The flip side is the 'grow into' is a trap we fall into.  Odds are there are guys who are low handicappers who play all of those sets.  We've all been enamored with the concept of a set 'we can grow into'.  I'd bet it's rarely the iron that holds us back, unless it's just a bad fit.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

1 hour ago, Dammitplo said:

Hey guys, 

New to the forum here! I just got fitted today at Club Champion and while I came in with no ego, I did have my eye on Mizuno JPX 921 Forged. I signed up for the iron fitting, after having played some hand-me-downs from 2008 for the last year or so (Callaway X-20). I feel like I've made a lot of improvement in my game and really wanted to get my own set of irons.

I went through the process and the fitter recommended shaft that I didn't have any disagreement with it (NS 950 R, -.5") but what it really came down to was the head based off 3 pricing tiers (in the order of her highest rec to lowest):

1. Callaway Mavrik 

2. Titlest T300

I'm a mid-handicap/beginner but been putting in time on the course, range and lessons. I wanted some irons that I could grow and develop into vs using the old set from my dad which were on the heavier side. At the end of the session, I didn't go with the Mavrik based on pricing and fully custom (Shaft wasn't available for it). While the Mizunos (which I didn't hit great in terms of dispersion) were closer in range to what I wanted to spend, I went with the T300 based on the Fitter's recommendation and also more affordable.

I'm either having buyers remorse or being stubborn (some of both), but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with fitting and if they ever went the other direction rather than the fitter's rec. I do want those 921s but the fitter really got me saying I wouldn't see a lot of improvment if I gamed those vs the T300s. I think I have 24 hrs to change my order.. so hopefully someone can help me out!

Thanks in advance!

Which Club Champion location?

Your going to have to play the clubs so at the end of the day if you felt confident hitting the mizzy’s then I would get them.  I would want to hit the t200’s also if I was going titleist.  If you are already second guessing the decision I would hesitate to go through with it.  You just don’t sound excited by them and it is a lot of money to spend on something you are not excited by.  That said, Buying clubs to grow into is tough.  Only you can balance how important it is to score well right now with your desire to improve and have a set of clubs that fits you when you improve.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jomatty said:

Your going to have to play the clubs so at the end of the day if you felt confident hitting the mizzy’s then I would get them.  I would want to hit the t200’s also if I was going titleist.  If you are already second guessing the decision I would hesitate to go through with it.  You just don’t sound excited by them and it is a lot of money to spend on something you are not excited by.  That said, Buying clubs to grow into is tough.  Only you can balance how important it is to score well right now with your desire to improve and have a set of clubs that fits you when you improve.  

Thanks, @Jomatty! Well said.. 

I did end up emailing the fitter at Club Champion and changing my order. Saved a some of money because I didn't get the GW and 4i (also what was recommended). In the end it also came down to the T300s being out for some time and the still paying full price for them, I'd rather get the newer Mizunos and develop my game with them in the bag since I'm still relatively new. Here's to hoping I can grow into these Mizunos...

When starting out nothing is more important than wanting to do it. Wanting to go hit balls and wanting to hit practice putts and work on your short game. Wanting to go play and try to make a par, or play a round with no triples. Or whatever. 

You have to want to do it. And if shiny new clubs that make you happy help with that, you made the right choice. 

Go get ‘em!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dammitplo said:

Hey guys, 

1. Callaway Mavrik 

2. Titlest T300

Thanks in advance!

If the numbers were close go with the Mizunos. Which had the best dispersion and consistency? Descent angle? Either way I don’t think you will go wrong.  

The forged are a nice club for someone in your situation.  They have forgiveness and the head is not so small as to suck away confidence.  But you will not feel like you need to replace them as your ball striking improves, and can play them down to a low single digit and still be happy with them.  I think you made a good choice.

• Thanks 1

Good call !!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

EvnRoll ER9

1 hour ago, LIGHT THE CANDLE said:

If the numbers were close go with the Mizunos. Which had the best dispersion and consistency? Descent angle? Either way I don’t think you will go wrong.  

In terms of consistency and distance, the Mavrik was the best. T300 is okay. Weird that Club Champion only took like 3-4 shots before they made a decision on what they believed was best.

I'm asking to come back in to hit them again.

11 hours ago, b.helts said:

When starting out nothing is more important than wanting to do it. Wanting to go hit balls and wanting to hit practice putts and work on your short game. Wanting to go play and try to make a par, or play a round with no triples. Or whatever. 

You have to want to do it. And if shiny new clubs that make you happy help with that, you made the right choice. 

Go get ‘em!!

I agree. Thank you!

I'd go back and hit them again for sure.  it's a lot of money to spend and you need to be confident in your decision so you're not 2nd guessing yourself down the road  

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

15 hours ago, Dammitplo said:

Hey guys, 

1. Callaway Mavrik 

2. Titlest T300

Thanks in advance!

Club Champion will steer you towards a certain brand of club or shaft based on their internal promotions. Pretty sure their fitters are told to promote one over the other by getting incentives month to month on certain brands

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Not all fitting recs are perfect - some things could get missed, or sometimes you're having a good day with a club and it doesn't work long-term. My iron fit this year was spot on. My driver fit was not - was great on Trackman but after further trial on course I'm realizing my swing works better with a different driver setup than I was fit into. 

If possible, get a second opinion, ideally blind. Go to a PGASS or something, work with a rep without telling them the fitting results of CC, and see if you get the same result. I'll echo what someone above said, if you're already hesitant I would not go through with a purchase without some extra validation, back at CC, another store, etc. That being said - and I know this response is full of contradictions as there's no "right" answer - the T line of Titleist irons are pretty darn good and I doubt those will hurt you. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

17 hours ago, Dammitplo said:

I'm a mid-handicap/beginner but been putting in time on the course, range and lessons.

Good golf shots are 99% technique and 1% equipment. If your clubs were produced during the past 20 years they are good enough for you to shoot 72 or better. Keep taking lessons and practicing what you've learned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

If nothing else, I would go back & spend time hitting many balls with the two different irons.  Hope that you can also hit more than just one specific iron.  Just work on making good contact with each club, regardless of which brand it is.  Make sure you understand what the machine is reading out from each shot.  Pay attention to the shot shape, distance, etc. (& pay less attention to what they are trying to talk you into).  New clubs cost way too much to rush into any decision.  You are in control of the purchase.....not them.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dammitplo said:

Thanks everyone! Great responses all around!

Had a way better hitting session when I went back in today. Happy to say, I’ll be joining Team Mizuno. Can’t wait for these to come in!

I don’t think you’ll regret this!

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2020 at 6:53 PM, Dammitplo said:

Hey guys, 

1. Callaway Mavrik 

2. Titlest T300

Thanks in advance!

Did you hit the 921 Hot Metal Pro? If you have Club Champion build them and you go with the fitters recommendation, then the Perfect Fit Guarantee covers the performance. If you go with 2nd or 3rd place, then the performance is on you. 

T300 is one of the very best performing iron heads in that category. If you were fit into the T300, then trust the fitting and enjoy the new set. 

Titleist TSi3 w/Oban Kiyoshi White 6X 
Titleist TSi2 15 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5

Titleist TSi2 21 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard

Srixon ZX7 7-PW w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50/54/58 KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Toulon Las Vegas custom w/BGT Tour 

20 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Good golf shots are 99% technique and 1% equipment. If your clubs were produced during the past 20 years they are good enough for you to shoot 72 or better. Keep taking lessons and practicing what you've learned.

While I agree that a bad golf swing will produce bad golf shots, do you have any empirical data to back up the claim that 99% of hitting a golf ball is swing and 1% is equipment? Because I can't find any data to back up this claim. I have empirical data that shows fitting matters, because hitting the ball straighter and possibly farther, will have a direct impact on your game. 

Titleist TSi3 w/Oban Kiyoshi White 6X 
Titleist TSi2 15 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5

Titleist TSi2 21 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard

Srixon ZX7 7-PW w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50/54/58 KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Toulon Las Vegas custom w/BGT Tour 

2 hours ago, liveagua said:

Did you hit the 921 Hot Metal Pro? If you have Club Champion build them and you go with the fitters recommendation, then the Perfect Fit Guarantee covers the performance. If you go with 2nd or 3rd place, then the performance is on you. 

T300 is one of the very best performing iron heads in that category. If you were fit into the T300, then trust the fitting and enjoy the new set. 

Totally understand, I hit the 921 forged better. Total understand that CC's Perfect Fit Guarantee covers performance but I think it covers the build as well. 

In the end I think if you go with the one you want, they'll still honor the guarantee.

5 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I am not really into the "growing into" thing. I will purchase what works best for me at the time of the fitting. 

Makes sense. I've heard the same. Appreciated the feedback

4 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I was fit for a full bag two years ago.  Two clubs remain. 3 wood and putter.  And I've tried a lot others.   So yeah, people move on from the recommendations.  But not usually before they use them.   😀

Haha!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 1:52 PM, GLF4EVR said:

If nothing else, I would go back & spend time hitting many balls with the two different irons.  Hope that you can also hit more than just one specific iron.  Just work on making good contact with each club, regardless of which brand it is.  Make sure you understand what the machine is reading out from each shot.  Pay attention to the shot shape, distance, etc. (& pay less attention to what they are trying to talk you into).  New clubs cost way too much to rush into any decision.  You are in control of the purchase.....not them.

I would also add take you present irons and compare all 3. Sometimes the difference can be feel, looks, desire, versus results.