Best combo for high launching 3 wood

Nick_E

Ventus red will give you more height. You could also look into something like a four wood..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

59 minutes ago, PappyVanRoyl said:

Did the 3 wood come in yet?  I’ve been following this thread as your ss and issues were the same as mine.  I’m also eyeing the tsi2.  Thanks!

It did not come in yet.  I cant get an answer when it'll be in.  I'll update the thread when it does and my readings 

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2020 at 9:33 AM, Nick_E said:

I have a chance to pick up a sim max 15* with a an ad iz 7x soft trimmed 0.5 inches.  I've seen some places say its high launching and other like Titleist say its low/mid.

The discussion continues!

Might I suggest you try a 4W? More loft and a slightly shorter shaft might help.

Many demo days ago, the Tour Edge rep was showcasing a new Exotics fairway wood model.  He encouraged us to try both the 3W and the 4W version of the model.

Surprise, most of got more reliable hits - and a few longer hits - with 4W than 3W. A little extra loft increased launch angle and spin, which translated into more distance.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:12 PM, Nick_E said:

I do tend to launch driver a bit low, but I handle it fine. 

This Exotics test included a couple of long ball hitters - these were guys who carried a driver 280 yards or so ( + rollout). It depends in part on how a golfer comes into the ball.

A pro I have worked with distinguishes between driver styles of driving a ball - tee it somewhat low and sweep ball with a slight upswing | and launching a ball - teeing it high and catching it on pronounced upswing.

He is a guy who drives his tee ball, but still carries a long way. And, his FW solution: a 5W head with a 4W length shaft. He said this was about 15 yards shorter than a 3W, but so much reliable on shot quality.

Possibly you are in a similar situation? Try a 4W and see what happens.

Edited by ChipNRun
Reword sentence

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 11/20/2020 at 8:38 PM, Nick_E said:

I've decided to go with the Titleist TSi2 15* with av raw blue tx.  Question is 69 or 79 gram.  See thread below.

Appreciate the groups thoughts. 

What made you decide to go with the TSi2 over other options and how many options did you test before making this choice? How has it been for you so far?

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

15 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

What made you decide to go with the TSi2 over other options and how many options did you test before making this choice? How has it been for you so far?

I had tried Sim and it didn't work for me.  Tried ping and was ok.  Key reason was ability to get av raw blue in tour stiff at no upcharge.

I dont have it yet.   Its still on order.  Can't wait to try it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I had tried Sim and it didn't work for me.  Tried ping and was ok.  Key reason was ability to get av raw blue in tour stiff at no upcharge.

I dont have it yet.   Its still on order.  Can't wait to try it.

Gotcha, makes sense. I’ve got issues hitting my 3-wood off the fairway too, but love it off the Tee. I’ve got the Callaway Rogue (15 degree w/ Synergy Aldila 60 S) but haven’t gone through a fitting. Will get fitted ASAP and look at some different options, so good to see your decision making process and the research you did. Enjoy and look forward to hearing how you like it!

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

11 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Gotcha, makes sense. I’ve got issues hitting my 3-wood off the fairway too, but love it off the Tee. I’ve got the Callaway Rogue (15 degree w/ Synergy Aldila 60 S) but haven’t gone through a fitting. Will get fitted ASAP and look at some different options, so good to see your decision making process and the research you did. Enjoy and look forward to hearing how you like it!

My previous was a callaway epic and I hit it ok, but the stock shaft just wasn't that good.  I liked the online reviews, especially from txg experience and mark crossfield

I especially liked the feedback on higher launch of tsi2.

Edited by Nick_E

2 hours ago, Nick_E said:

I've already got a tsi2 3 wood on order.  Its adjustable so loft won't be a problem. 

Thanks for follow-up. I need to catch up on Titleist long clubs, I'm losing track.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 11/18/2020 at 2:30 PM, Nick_E said:

I'm on the lookout for a new 3 wood.  I previously had the epic and we never got along.  My problem is I just don't launch a 3 wood high enough so its always a struggle off the Turf.

My SS with a 3 wood is 106 to 108, and should increase to 110 in a couple of months.

I just tried Sim with ventus blue x.  That thing was low and hooking like crazy.

I've read that AD DI is an awesome 3 wood shaft, but I'm open to all options so long if it launches higher, and preferably with not a ton of spin.  I'd actually prefer something a bit cheaper, but ill spend the money to finally find the right shaft.  Saw AD IZ as well as an option.

For the head was thinking Sim Max, Mavrik Max, or TSi2.

Appreciate all of your input.

Graphite Design AD F in weight of your choice is made for fairways and less than $200

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I know the OP mentioned not getting along with SIM 3w, but I learned a piece of somewhat counter intuitive information last week from my fitter. I LOVE the SIM Ti 3w. Launches so easy for me. 

I had always been fit into mid launch, mid spin driver shafts, and assumed it’d be the same for a fairway wood. He said it may not always work that way. For faster swingers, low launch /spin shafts sometimes work better because they can actually stand up to the stronger swing. A mid/mid May be too weak and at impact it may not be able to come out of loading. The result being that the club face is still under very low dynamic loft, therefore won’t launch well. The counter intuition: if it’s not launching, try something more stout. 

The PX Smoke Black was the right shaft for me on 3w and 3h for this reason. Some say Smoke is mid/mid, but I think it falls close to low/ low. 

Edited by Arlin964
  • Thanks 1

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Club came in,  unfortunately in x and not tx.  I get to try it out until March and can swap for tx then.

First the TSi2 feels so sweet.  Easy to launch, by far a game changer for me in 3 woods.  Especially since 3 wood has been a huge struggle it was amazing from the start.

I really like the combo with av raw blue 75 x, extra tipping.  I've finally found a 3-wood, and it will allow me to hit it off the tee or off the deck.  Flight doesn't balloon, but has nice height.  I'll test it next week on qcquad, but just based on looks it hits the marks. 

If you're looking at 3 woods please test out the new ts line.  To me it wasn't even close with sim.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:55 PM, Fairway14 said:

Sorry I don't know what optimized trajectory means. Golf shots fly on a wide range of trajectories dependent on temperature, wind, lie, quality of impact contact etc...

If you are playing lots of 3-wood shots from the fairway then you might consider moving up to play a more forward tee box.

It’s like you tread the line of troll and “didn’t ask so why tell”.  
Obviously mans can strike his clubs and all you keep making mention of is lie conditions and strike placement like you’re giving the info he was seeking. It’s like you just inserted the basic “know how” to seem reputable but didn’t say much at all. 

- plus I don’t find it difficult to strike a 3w (check the sig.)  how the hell older gents played those tall faced woods of 80-90s but today’s woods are just so unhittable 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:16 PM, Nick_E said:

Club came in,  unfortunately in x and not tx.  I get to try it out until March and can swap for tx then.

First the TSi2 feels so sweet.  Easy to launch, by far a game changer for me in 3 woods.  Especially since 3 wood has been a huge struggle it was amazing from the start.

I really like the combo with av raw blue 75 x, extra tipping.  I've finally found a 3-wood, and it will allow me to hit it off the tee or off the deck.  Flight doesn't balloon, but has nice height.  I'll test it next week on qcquad, but just based on looks it hits the marks. 

If you're looking at 3 woods please test out the new ts line.  To me it wasn't even close with sim.

I’m scheduling a fitting for woods in January.  TSi2 will be number one to try out based on this!  Thanks for sharing.

I currently have the epic 3 wood as well, and need more consistent launch.  GD AD DI 7x in it now.

3 minutes ago, PappyVanRoyl said:

I’m scheduling a fitting for woods in January.  TSi2 will be number one to try out based on this!  Thanks for sharing.

I currently have the epic 3 wood as well, and need more consistent launch.  GD AD DI 7x in it now.

I would say to give the av raw blue a chance.  They'll have the TX which is their higher end shaft in stock in March, no upcharge.  Right now all you can get is X and they'll extra tip it.

I actually gamed the epic 3 wood before this one.  I already sold it so I can't compare, but so far tsi2 is a clear winner based on my memory of epic.  Could also be combo of better shaft as well.

I believe JT plays the av raw blue tx in is 3 wood.

Edited by Nick_E
  • Thanks 1

If you’re concerned about launch and a left miss, try a standard SIM 5 and turn it down all the way.  That’ll make it 17 degrees, and open.  The Diamana that’s stock is a pretty decent FW shaft, it’s mid launch and low(ish) spin.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

Very interested!  I dented the face of my g410 again and I’m getting tired of sending them in for replacement.  I love it off the tee but don’t get the height I want off the deck (I tend to strike it a bit low on the face).  If I remember the Titleist sleeve correctly, turning loft up closes the face a bit & turning loft down opens it slightly?  I hate a closed looking face at address.   May have to head the Galaxy for a test drive this week and get some numbers 

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

50 minutes ago, Cliffy2020 said:

Very interested!  I dented the face of my g410 again and I’m getting tired of sending them in for replacement.  I love it off the tee but don’t get the height I want off the deck (I tend to strike it a bit low on the face).  If I remember the Titleist sleeve correctly, turning loft up closes the face a bit & turning loft down opens it slightly?  I hate a closed looking face at address.   May have to head the Galaxy for a test drive this week and get some numbers 

They're definitely worth testing.   I went with tsi2, but tsi3 could be the fit.  They've got really good stock options with av raw blue and av raw white.  Special order for x and tx in blue, and only x in white.

I have similar problem off the deck, the tsi2 launches it really easy off the turf.

Edited by Nick_E

3 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

How about a 4 w?

Yeah, i don’t care if it’s a 3w with loft turned up, or a 4w with loft turned down, as long as I can smoke it off the deck with a high soft 250yd  carry, I’m happy.  I need to take more advantage of my length on par 5’s in 2021

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

4 hours ago, Cliffy2020 said:

All manufacturers with adjustable hosels open the face when you loft down and close the face when you loft up.  It’s the nature of how the adjustable hosel works.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

On 12/23/2020 at 7:16 PM, Nick_E said:

Very little difference between the X and TX. There may be no need to change. Good luck!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

18 hours ago, Cliffy2020 said:

Yeah, i don’t care if it’s a 3w with loft turned up, or a 4w with loft turned down, as long as I can smoke it off the deck with a high soft 250yd  carry, I’m happy.  I need to take more advantage of my length on par 5’s in 2021

I used to carry both a 3w and 5w and realized that my 5w went just about as far a my 3w. I think the higher launch and carry was the distance maker for the 5w. Anyways, I wanted to create another space in my bag's wedge end and consolidated to the 4w. For me, it really is the best of both worlds, a club that travels long, higher then the 3w, and easier to hit then the 3w, plus it opened the bag for another club. The 4w would give you the height you want without any significant distance loss. I'm sure there are strong 4w's if you searched. 

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Not as exotic as a GD Di but I had similar issues until I tried a weaker shaft in the 3 Wood, just learnt to control a shaft with more torque to gain easier elevation and increase spin from the deck. 

The 3 Wood I found is the taylormade M4 with the stock atmos red shaft, loved it so much I bought the 5 and 7 woods also. 

Worth opening your stance (put your left leg back) to help with 3 Wood off the deck or imagine you are trying to hit something just beyond the ball, say place a matchstick or leaf just after the ball and attempt to move that with the clubhead instead of hitting at or down on the ball. 

Just keep practicing that technique or read online for tips, really worth it, I now find the 3 Wood as easy to hit as the 5 or 7 Wood it's just another yardage choice for club not a 'I hit or have more confidence with one or the other choice' which is not ideal. 

Edited by Veners
Added extra