Best combo for high launching 3 wood

Nick_E

I'm on the lookout for a new 3 wood.  I previously had the epic and we never got along.  My problem is I just don't launch a 3 wood high enough so its always a struggle off the Turf.

My SS with a 3 wood is 106 to 108, and should increase to 110 in a couple of months.

I just tried Sim with ventus blue x.  That thing was low and hooking like crazy.

I've read that AD DI is an awesome 3 wood shaft, but I'm open to all options so long if it launches higher, and preferably with not a ton of spin.  I'd actually prefer something a bit cheaper, but ill spend the money to finally find the right shaft.  Saw AD IZ as well as an option.

For the head was thinking Sim Max, Mavrik Max, or TSi2.

Appreciate all of your input.

Edited by Nick_E

If you are struggling to get a mid launch shaft going at a decent height then it might be worth getting someone to have a look at the way you are delivering the club. You have plenty of speed there  . Is it just 3 wood that you have this issue with?

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

6 minutes ago, Bye said:

If you are struggling to get a mid launch shaft going at a decent height then it might be worth getting someone to have a look at the way you are delivering the club. You have plenty of speed there  . Is it just 3 wood that you have this issue with?

I do tend to launch driver a bit low, but I handle it fine.  Irons never been a problem,  especially long irons.  3 wood has always been my problem.   I have a qcquad so I can see the numbers and it looks fine, 2 degrees decent.

I've never personally seen large fluctuations in launch characteristics with from one shaft to another (comparing good strikes to good strike). Shafts definitely make a difference in dispersion as weight/feel can impact your ability to deliver the club face consistently square, but I don't look at the shaft as a primary driver of launch. 

Since about 2010 it seems, fairway woods have increasingly adapted driver-type tech and, as a result, are hotter and lower-spinning as a whole. If you need more height I would suggest trying 16-17* heads and see if they provide the results you are looking for. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

2 hours ago, EDT501 said:

I've never personally seen large fluctuations in launch characteristics with from one shaft to another (comparing good strikes to good strike). Shafts definitely make a difference in dispersion as weight/feel can impact your ability to deliver the club face consistently square, but I don't look at the shaft as a primary driver of launch. 

Since about 2010 it seems, fairway woods have increasingly adapted driver-type tech and, as a result, are hotter and lower-spinning as a whole. If you need more height I would suggest trying 16-17* heads and see if they provide the results you are looking for. 

I would agree on the fw like a driver, which is why I don't look for a low spinning head.  The TSi2 looks appealing with the av raw blue tour stiff stock shaft.

Edited by Nick_E

3 hours ago, Nick_E said:

I'm on the lookout for a new 3 wood.  I previously had the epic and we never got along.  My problem is I just don't launch a 3 wood high enough so its always a struggle off the Turf.

My SS with a 3 wood is 106 to 108, and should increase to 110 in a couple of months.

I just tried Sim with ventus blue x.  That thing was low and hooking like crazy.

I've read that AD DI is an awesome 3 wood shaft, but I'm open to all options so long if it launches higher, and preferably with not a ton of spin.  I'd actually prefer something a bit cheaper, but ill spend the money to finally find the right shaft.  Saw AD IZ as well as an option.

For the head was thinking Sim Max, Mavrik Max, or TSi2.

Appreciate all of your input.

I had the same problem until I got the taylormade M4 15 degree with the stock shaft in stiff flex.  So easy to launch off the deck, worth trying second hand as you can always sell it on for same price if you don't like it. 

This is not an apples to apples as it was in my Tour Edge CBX 5w, but the Mitsu KK Silver dual core tini 70 in S flex launched high and trajectory has high.  I swapped shafts to an NVS 85 which brought the ball flight down quite a bit.  The KK was not loose feeling but I was not comfortable with the flight.  I should have stuck with it as I hit some amazing shots with it, but it was so different than what I was used to, as I am a low ball hitter.

4 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Ive been watching reviews and I'm getting more and more excited about TSi2.  The help with launch seems to fit me perfect.  Also with the av raw blue should be a perfect match.  Looking at 68 gram x.   Is this a made for shaft??

Anyone gaming this?

Why get an X flex when you're looking for more launch and spin?  A softer shaft in general will create more spin which is what you seem to need according to your post.  The point of having a 3 metal is to be able to get that sucker up in the air off the deck and also have a decent amount of spin on it as well.  Also, at your ss, S flex would fit you better especially for a fw.  I would recommend something like the ventus red 7s for you to try.  The other option would be to get a 4 metal instead as the extra loft would help get the ball airborne faster. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

7 hours ago, Bye said:

If you are struggling to get a mid launch shaft going at a decent height then it might be worth getting someone to have a look at the way you are delivering the club.

Yes. At 100 MPH+ clubhead speed, it may be a swing issue.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

7 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Why get an X flex when you're looking for more launch and spin?  A softer shaft in general will create more spin which is what you seem to need according to your post.  The point of having a 3 metal is to be able to get that sucker up in the air off the deck and also have a decent amount of spin on it as well.  Also, at your ss, S flex would fit you better especially for a fw.  I would recommend something like the ventus red 7s for you to try.  The other option would be to get a 4 metal instead as the extra loft would help get the ball airborne faster. 

Thanks for the input.  My SS with a 3W is 107 and should go up 2 or 3 mph as I haven't been playing.  My issue with a Stiff or even soft X is that I get it turning over and I don't like the left miss.  Perhaps I haven't had a good enough quality stiff to try.  Thanks for recommendations.

I wouldnt consider Ventus blue a high launching shaft.

I would try an atmos blue/red, aldila tour blue, diamana blue/tensei blue, fuji pro 2.0, etc

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

2 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Thanks for the input.  My SS with a 3W is 107 and should go up 2 or 3 mph as I haven't been playing.  My issue with a Stiff or even soft X is that I get it turning over and I don't like the left miss.  Perhaps I haven't had a good enough quality stiff to try.  Thanks for recommendations.

If you're looking to save money, the "red" line of Diamana has been high launch for me. Just tip trim it to your liking. I have used the 'ilima 80x tipped 1" for some time now and I don't see switching anytime soon.

TXG just did a video on this. Normal VENTUS Red is good, but tipped correctly it rivals any other shaft out there. Some say the Tour VENTUS 90x tipped 2" is a copy/paste of the old ROMBAX P95.

• Like 1

SIM 10.5

EXS Pro 18 | Pro Mini 23

T100 4-50 | 54.S 58.T

NP2 GSS

SrixonXV Divide

16 minutes ago, texcellence86 said:

If you're looking to save money, the "red" line of Diamana has been high launch for me. Just tip trim it to your liking. I have used the 'ilima 80x tipped 1" for some time now and I don't see switching anytime soon.

TXG just did a video on this. Normal VENTUS Red is good, but tipped correctly it rivals any other shaft out there. Some say the Tour VENTUS 90x tipped 2" is a copy/paste of the old ROMBAX P95.

So you're saying VENTUS red without velacore to keep the price down?  

Good info, and constructive.  The kind of info I'm looking for.

How about a ping 5 wood, turned down to 16.0 is a 4 wood.  The head is just as big as most 3 woods anyways.  If you cant hit that off the ground you cant hit anything else...

• Like 2

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

20 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

So you're saying VENTUS red without velacore to keep the price down?  

Good info, and constructive.  The kind of info I'm looking for.

Only the VENTUS hybrid shafts have that option. All fairway shafts have the Velocore. I am referring to "normal" as standard 1/2" tipping as required for any adapter. But if you tip the shaft more than standard is when it becomes a great shaft, from the review of TXG.

SIM 10.5

EXS Pro 18 | Pro Mini 23

T100 4-50 | 54.S 58.T

NP2 GSS

SrixonXV Divide

I agree with the above poster. 5 wood turned down was the ticket for me. The PING is incredibly easy to hit. I was someone that dreaded hitting my fairway wood (mostly played a 14-15*). Since bagging the 5 wood it became one of my favorite clubs in my bag.

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cflo2382 said:

I agree with the above poster. 5 wood turned down was the ticket for me. The PING is incredibly easy to hit. I was someone that dreaded hitting my fairway wood (mostly played a 14-15*). Since bagging the 5 wood it became one of my favorite clubs in my bag.

7 minutes ago, Deuce78 said:

How about a ping 5 wood, turned down to 16.0 is a 4 wood.  The head is just as big as most 3 woods anyways.  If you cant hit that off the ground you cant hit anything else...

Are you guys extending the shaft as well or leaving in 5 wood length?

2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I wouldnt consider Ventus blue a high launching shaft.

I would try an atmos blue/red, aldila tour blue, diamana blue/tensei blue, fuji pro 2.0, etc

Correct, the Ventus blue is not a high launching shaft by any means which is why I recommended the Ventus Red for the OP as I have tested it when I was shopping for a 3 metal.  I have the VB 8x in my sim 15* and it produces flat bombs off the tee and is pretty easy for me to hit off the deck but I naturally spin the ball a lot. 

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

10 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Are you guys extending the shaft as well or leaving in 5 wood length?

You have options to play it where you want it.  If you are wanting max carry you could put in the lighter weight and play it at 43.  If it's too heavy go with a hzrdus yellow to help reduce the swingweight.  I wouldnt really look for a high launching shaft.  You'd be better off with more loft and a stiffer shaft for dispersion. The loft will launch the ball.  All the weak or high launch shaft is doing is adding dynamic loft (and larger dispersion).

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

3 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I have a chance to pick up a sim max 15* with a an ad iz 7x soft trimmed 0.5 inches.  I've seen some places say its high launching and other like Titleist say its low/mid.

Thoughts?

If you hooked the sim, you should really hook the sim max.  It is more upright than the sim. Judging by your info you could take off some length to bring the toe down if you are dead set on it.  Also personally I tend to hit GD shafts left...so hard for me to recommend those.  I think ping will fit you for free if you call and set it up...

• Like 1

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

25 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I have a chance to pick up a sim max 15* with a an ad iz 7x soft trimmed 0.5 inches.  I've seen some places say its high launching and other like Titleist say its low/mid.

Thoughts?

I've tested the IZ and it launches a tad lower than the TP and DI.  It also spins a touch less as well.  The IZ is def not high launching.  If I remember correctly, it launched 1-2 degrees lower and spun 500 rpm less than the aforementioned shafts. 

Edited by phizzy30

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

I've tested the IZ and it launches a tad lower than the TP and DI.  It also spins a touch less as well.  The IZ is def not high launching. 

Agreed. 

I concur with the Ventus Red. It'd definitely be worth a try. 

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.