Jump to content

Best combo for high launching 3 wood


Recommended Posts

I'm on the lookout for a new 3 wood.  I previously had the epic and we never got along.  My problem is I just don't launch a 3 wood high enough so its always a struggle off the Turf.

 

My SS with a 3 wood is 106 to 108, and should increase to 110 in a couple of months.

 

I just tried Sim with ventus blue x.  That thing was low and hooking like crazy.

 

I've read that AD DI is an awesome 3 wood shaft, but I'm open to all options so long if it launches higher, and preferably with not a ton of spin.  I'd actually prefer something a bit cheaper, but ill spend the money to finally find the right shaft.  Saw AD IZ as well as an option.

 

For the head was thinking Sim Max, Mavrik Max, or TSi2.

 

Appreciate all of your input.

Edited by Nick_E
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Respectfully, this could not be further from the truth. Maybe pre launch monitors and science. Look at the launch angles on tour, even in windy conditions. High ball with optimal spin still wins unles

I've never personally seen large fluctuations in launch characteristics with from one shaft to another (comparing good strikes to good strike). Shafts definitely make a difference in dispersion as wei

The Gamma was a counterbalanced Beta IIRC. I have the Beta in 3 different sets of FWs. VERY hard to beat that shaft and it can be had for pocket change on the Bay.   BT

Posted Images

If you are struggling to get a mid launch shaft going at a decent height then it might be worth getting someone to have a look at the way you are delivering the club. You have plenty of speed there  . Is it just 3 wood that you have this issue with?

Taylormade M3 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bye said:

If you are struggling to get a mid launch shaft going at a decent height then it might be worth getting someone to have a look at the way you are delivering the club. You have plenty of speed there  . Is it just 3 wood that you have this issue with?

I do tend to launch driver a bit low, but I handle it fine.  Irons never been a problem,  especially long irons.  3 wood has always been my problem.   I have a qcquad so I can see the numbers and it looks fine, 2 degrees decent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never personally seen large fluctuations in launch characteristics with from one shaft to another (comparing good strikes to good strike). Shafts definitely make a difference in dispersion as weight/feel can impact your ability to deliver the club face consistently square, but I don't look at the shaft as a primary driver of launch. 

 

Since about 2010 it seems, fairway woods have increasingly adapted driver-type tech and, as a result, are hotter and lower-spinning as a whole. If you need more height I would suggest trying 16-17* heads and see if they provide the results you are looking for. 

  • Like 2

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 3-PW - KBS Tour

Vokey SM7 (raw) 55*M & 60*L - KBS Tour

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid Slant

Lamkin Crossline Cord Midsize | ProV1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EDT501 said:

I've never personally seen large fluctuations in launch characteristics with from one shaft to another (comparing good strikes to good strike). Shafts definitely make a difference in dispersion as weight/feel can impact your ability to deliver the club face consistently square, but I don't look at the shaft as a primary driver of launch. 

 

Since about 2010 it seems, fairway woods have increasingly adapted driver-type tech and, as a result, are hotter and lower-spinning as a whole. If you need more height I would suggest trying 16-17* heads and see if they provide the results you are looking for. 

I would agree on the fw like a driver, which is why I don't look for a low spinning head.  The TSi2 looks appealing with the av raw blue tour stiff stock shaft.

Edited by Nick_E
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nick_E said:

I'm on the lookout for a new 3 wood.  I previously had the epic and we never got along.  My problem is I just don't launch a 3 wood high enough so its always a struggle off the Turf.

 

My SS with a 3 wood is 106 to 108, and should increase to 110 in a couple of months.

 

I just tried Sim with ventus blue x.  That thing was low and hooking like crazy.

 

I've read that AD DI is an awesome 3 wood shaft, but I'm open to all options so long if it launches higher, and preferably with not a ton of spin.  I'd actually prefer something a bit cheaper, but ill spend the money to finally find the right shaft.  Saw AD IZ as well as an option.

 

For the head was thinking Sim Max, Mavrik Max, or TSi2.

 

Appreciate all of your input.

I had the same problem until I got the taylormade M4 15 degree with the stock shaft in stiff flex.  So easy to launch off the deck, worth trying second hand as you can always sell it on for same price if you don't like it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not an apples to apples as it was in my Tour Edge CBX 5w, but the Mitsu KK Silver dual core tini 70 in S flex launched high and trajectory has high.  I swapped shafts to an NVS 85 which brought the ball flight down quite a bit.  The KK was not loose feeling but I was not comfortable with the flight.  I should have stuck with it as I hit some amazing shots with it, but it was so different than what I was used to, as I am a low ball hitter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Ive been watching reviews and I'm getting more and more excited about TSi2.  The help with launch seems to fit me perfect.  Also with the av raw blue should be a perfect match.  Looking at 68 gram x.   Is this a made for shaft??

 

Anyone gaming this?

Why get an X flex when you're looking for more launch and spin?  A softer shaft in general will create more spin which is what you seem to need according to your post.  The point of having a 3 metal is to be able to get that sucker up in the air off the deck and also have a decent amount of spin on it as well.  Also, at your ss, S flex would fit you better especially for a fw.  I would recommend something like the ventus red 7s for you to try.  The other option would be to get a 4 metal instead as the extra loft would help get the ball airborne faster. 

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bye said:

If you are struggling to get a mid launch shaft going at a decent height then it might be worth getting someone to have a look at the way you are delivering the club.

Yes. At 100 MPH+ clubhead speed, it may be a swing issue.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

 

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Why get an X flex when you're looking for more launch and spin?  A softer shaft in general will create more spin which is what you seem to need according to your post.  The point of having a 3 metal is to be able to get that sucker up in the air off the deck and also have a decent amount of spin on it as well.  Also, at your ss, S flex would fit you better especially for a fw.  I would recommend something like the ventus red 7s for you to try.  The other option would be to get a 4 metal instead as the extra loft would help get the ball airborne faster. 

Thanks for the input.  My SS with a 3W is 107 and should go up 2 or 3 mph as I haven't been playing.  My issue with a Stiff or even soft X is that I get it turning over and I don't like the left miss.  Perhaps I haven't had a good enough quality stiff to try.  Thanks for recommendations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldnt consider Ventus blue a high launching shaft.

 

I would try an atmos blue/red, aldila tour blue, diamana blue/tensei blue, fuji pro 2.0, etc

Mavrik + ATMOS TS Black / Mavrik 4W + ATMOS TS Blue / Mavrik Pro 3H + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black / Apex 19-Pro + C-Taper / MD5 / Odyssey SL Black 7 + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Thanks for the input.  My SS with a 3W is 107 and should go up 2 or 3 mph as I haven't been playing.  My issue with a Stiff or even soft X is that I get it turning over and I don't like the left miss.  Perhaps I haven't had a good enough quality stiff to try.  Thanks for recommendations.

If you're looking to save money, the "red" line of Diamana has been high launch for me. Just tip trim it to your liking. I have used the 'ilima 80x tipped 1" for some time now and I don't see switching anytime soon.

 

TXG just did a video on this. Normal VENTUS Red is good, but tipped correctly it rivals any other shaft out there. Some say the Tour VENTUS 90x tipped 2" is a copy/paste of the old ROMBAX P95.

  • Like 1

SIM 10.5* Tour AD MDQ 7X

M5 19* ilima 80X

R15 21* S93X // U510 3 Motore TS 9.8 HB

C16 4 105 S300

716 CB 5-P AMT S400

SM6 52.56.60 TI S400

Odyssey Black 1W

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, texcellence86 said:

If you're looking to save money, the "red" line of Diamana has been high launch for me. Just tip trim it to your liking. I have used the 'ilima 80x tipped 1" for some time now and I don't see switching anytime soon.

 

TXG just did a video on this. Normal VENTUS Red is good, but tipped correctly it rivals any other shaft out there. Some say the Tour VENTUS 90x tipped 2" is a copy/paste of the old ROMBAX P95.

So you're saying VENTUS red without velacore to keep the price down?  

 

Good info, and constructive.  The kind of info I'm looking for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a ping 5 wood, turned down to 16.0 is a 4 wood.  The head is just as big as most 3 woods anyways.  If you cant hit that off the ground you cant hit anything else...

  • Like 2

M5/G410 @6.5 loft HZRDUS T1100 65g 6.5
PING G410 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5 
PING G410 17.5 HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5
Nike vapor fly pro 2 iron black tie 105x/DGX7
MP32/712mb/MP69/714mb/MP4/s55/900 Tour/iblade/965 combo/MP63/iblade 3-PW/P7TW 3-PW
Vokey sm6/Tour Gorge/Glide 2.0/ 52 millled grind / Vokey TVD K 58
NIPPON 1150gh X flex/kbs tour V 120x/Steelfiber 125x/S400 / now DGX7
Kuchar #1/Lamont Mann Custom ARM LOCK/custom Arm Locks-Scotty, Odyssey, TM Spider

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

So you're saying VENTUS red without velacore to keep the price down?  

 

Good info, and constructive.  The kind of info I'm looking for.

Only the VENTUS hybrid shafts have that option. All fairway shafts have the Velocore. I am referring to "normal" as standard 1/2" tipping as required for any adapter. But if you tip the shaft more than standard is when it becomes a great shaft, from the review of TXG.

SIM 10.5* Tour AD MDQ 7X

M5 19* ilima 80X

R15 21* S93X // U510 3 Motore TS 9.8 HB

C16 4 105 S300

716 CB 5-P AMT S400

SM6 52.56.60 TI S400

Odyssey Black 1W

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the above poster. 5 wood turned down was the ticket for me. The PING is incredibly easy to hit. I was someone that dreaded hitting my fairway wood (mostly played a 14-15*). Since bagging the 5 wood it became one of my favorite clubs in my bag.

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 1

PING G400 @ 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 7X

PING G400 5 Wood @ 16.5* - Aldila RIPx 95TX

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i - Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4i-6i, MB 7i-PW - Nippon Modus 125X

Titleist Vokey SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 60.8M - Nippon Modus Wedge 125

Lajosi Sensor Custom

Other - Lamkin UTX Mid Grips, PROV1, Hoofer Tour

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cflo2382 said:

I agree with the above poster. 5 wood turned down was the ticket for me. The PING is incredibly easy to hit. I was someone that dreaded hitting my fairway wood (mostly played a 14-15*). Since bagging the 5 wood it became one of my favorite clubs in my bag.

 

7 minutes ago, Deuce78 said:

How about a ping 5 wood, turned down to 16.0 is a 4 wood.  The head is just as big as most 3 woods anyways.  If you cant hit that off the ground you cant hit anything else...

Are you guys extending the shaft as well or leaving in 5 wood length?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nick_E said:

 

Are you guys extending the shaft as well or leaving in 5 wood length?

I play mine right at 42" which is -1/2" than standard PING 5 wood length.

PING G400 @ 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 7X

PING G400 5 Wood @ 16.5* - Aldila RIPx 95TX

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i - Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4i-6i, MB 7i-PW - Nippon Modus 125X

Titleist Vokey SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 60.8M - Nippon Modus Wedge 125

Lajosi Sensor Custom

Other - Lamkin UTX Mid Grips, PROV1, Hoofer Tour

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I wouldnt consider Ventus blue a high launching shaft.

 

I would try an atmos blue/red, aldila tour blue, diamana blue/tensei blue, fuji pro 2.0, etc

Correct, the Ventus blue is not a high launching shaft by any means which is why I recommended the Ventus Red for the OP as I have tested it when I was shopping for a 3 metal.  I have the VB 8x in my sim 15* and it produces flat bombs off the tee and is pretty easy for me to hit off the deck but I naturally spin the ball a lot. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

 

Are you guys extending the shaft as well or leaving in 5 wood length?

You have options to play it where you want it.  If you are wanting max carry you could put in the lighter weight and play it at 43.  If it's too heavy go with a hzrdus yellow to help reduce the swingweight.  I wouldnt really look for a high launching shaft.  You'd be better off with more loft and a stiffer shaft for dispersion. The loft will launch the ball.  All the weak or high launch shaft is doing is adding dynamic loft (and larger dispersion).

M5/G410 @6.5 loft HZRDUS T1100 65g 6.5
PING G410 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5 
PING G410 17.5 HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5
Nike vapor fly pro 2 iron black tie 105x/DGX7
MP32/712mb/MP69/714mb/MP4/s55/900 Tour/iblade/965 combo/MP63/iblade 3-PW/P7TW 3-PW
Vokey sm6/Tour Gorge/Glide 2.0/ 52 millled grind / Vokey TVD K 58
NIPPON 1150gh X flex/kbs tour V 120x/Steelfiber 125x/S400 / now DGX7
Kuchar #1/Lamont Mann Custom ARM LOCK/custom Arm Locks-Scotty, Odyssey, TM Spider

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I have a chance to pick up a sim max 15* with a an ad iz 7x soft trimmed 0.5 inches.  I've seen some places say its high launching and other like Titleist say its low/mid.

 

Thoughts?

 

If you hooked the sim, you should really hook the sim max.  It is more upright than the sim. Judging by your info you could take off some length to bring the toe down if you are dead set on it.  Also personally I tend to hit GD shafts left...so hard for me to recommend those.  I think ping will fit you for free if you call and set it up...

  • Like 1

M5/G410 @6.5 loft HZRDUS T1100 65g 6.5
PING G410 [email protected] HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5 
PING G410 17.5 HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5
Nike vapor fly pro 2 iron black tie 105x/DGX7
MP32/712mb/MP69/714mb/MP4/s55/900 Tour/iblade/965 combo/MP63/iblade 3-PW/P7TW 3-PW
Vokey sm6/Tour Gorge/Glide 2.0/ 52 millled grind / Vokey TVD K 58
NIPPON 1150gh X flex/kbs tour V 120x/Steelfiber 125x/S400 / now DGX7
Kuchar #1/Lamont Mann Custom ARM LOCK/custom Arm Locks-Scotty, Odyssey, TM Spider

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I have a chance to pick up a sim max 15* with a an ad iz 7x soft trimmed 0.5 inches.  I've seen some places say its high launching and other like Titleist say its low/mid.

 

Thoughts?

 

I've tested the IZ and it launches a tad lower than the TP and DI.  It also spins a touch less as well.  The IZ is def not high launching.  If I remember correctly, it launched 1-2 degrees lower and spun 500 rpm less than the aforementioned shafts. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

I've tested the IZ and it launches a tad lower than the TP and DI.  It also spins a touch less as well.  The IZ is def not high launching. 

 

Agreed. 

 

I concur with the Ventus Red. It'd definitely be worth a try. 

  • Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*          Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD         Accra TZ5-85 M5
TaylorMade V-Steel 9WD   Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 6-PW  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60 MMT-125TX Scoring Wedge

Bettinardi Tour DASS Minovai Flowneck Prototype

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...