Pinehurst First Timer February ‘21

Lefty_89

Fellow WRXers - 

I pulled the trigger on the Titleist package at Pinehurst and booked this afternoon. It will be my first time visiting Pinehurst, even North Carolina, and would really appreciate some insight. End of February.

My trip looks like the following...

Saturday: Cradle and #4

Sunday: #2 and ??

Monday: Tobacco Road and ??

I’ll be on a tight schedule so hoping for recommendations on what course to loop Sunday afternoon (on property) and then Monday either before or after Tobacco, before heading back home on Tuesday. I might convince the Mrs. to leave on Wednesday instead, but for now I’d love to hear some opinions. Thanks!

Edited by Lefty_89

• Lefty_89 changed the title to Pinehurst First Timer February ‘21
On 11/21/2020 at 10:38 PM, Lefty_89 said:

Fellow WRXers - 

I pulled the trigger on the Titleist package at Pinehurst and booked this afternoon. It will be my first time visiting Pinehurst, even North Carolina, and would really appreciate some insight. End of February.

I’ll be on a tight schedule so hoping for recommendations on what course to loop Sunday afternoon (on property) and then Monday either before or after Tobacco, before heading back home on Tuesday. I might convince the Mrs. to leave on Wednesday instead, but for now I’d love to hear some opinions. Thanks!

With the limited daylight I am not sure if you will have time for Tobacco Road and then a course on Pinehurst. TR is a solid 30 minute from Pinehurst. If you were wanting to do 36 I would try to do courses on Pinehurst or in Southern Pines.

Other high rated courses are Pinehurst # 8, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Dormie Club (you can get on through packages). Another Ross design is Southern Pines. I have heard conditions can be hit or miss though.

Edited by krtgolfing
  • Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

21 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

If I had to pick between Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Dormie, which one would you recommend?

It's becoming more evident that I should consider adding another day to our trip haha.

I have not played Pine Needles. I prefer Mid Pines over Dormie.

2 hours ago, krtgolfing said:

With the limited daylight I am not sure if you will have time for Tobacco Road and then a course on Pinehurst. TR is a solid 30 minute from Pinehurst. If you were wanting to do 36 I would try to do courses on Pinehurst or in Southern Pines.

Other high rated courses are Pinehurst # 8, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Dormie Club (you can get on through packages). Another Ross design is Southern Pines. I have heard conditions can be hit or miss though.

Agree on the daylight thing. 

Also, Southern Pines was bought by the Pine Needles/Mid Pines owner. So i am sure itll be in good condition. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

On 11/23/2020 at 6:28 AM, Lefty_89 said:

If I had to pick between Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Dormie, which one would you recommend?

It's becoming more evident that I should consider adding another day to our trip haha.

Tough tough choice.   Played all 3 and all of them are great.  Dormie is a typical C&C course so if you like them you will like Dormie.  Mid Pines is shorter but a lot DR charc to it.  Pine Needles is true DR setup he made for tourneys as I understand it.  

You will not go wrong with either one of them.  You may wonder after playing one them...damn that was sweet, wonder what the others are like  😃 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CDM said:

Tough tough choice.   Played all 3 and all of them are great.  Dormie is a typical C&C course so if you like them you will like Dormie.  Mid Pines is shorter but a lot DR charc to it.  Pine Needles is true DR setup he made for tourneys as I understand it.  

You will not go wrong with either one of them.  You may wonder after playing one them...damn that was sweet, wonder what the others are like  😃 

I am finding it incredibly tough to pick which courses to play and which to save for another trip, haha.

Alright I am pretty sure this will be the schedule...

Day 1: Travel

Day 2: Pine Needles (stay at lodge)

Day 3: Pinehurst #4

Day 4: Pinehurst #2 AM / Cradle PM

Day 5: Either #8 or Tobacco Road (leaning TR for now)

Day 6: Travel

18 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

I am finding it incredibly tough to pick which courses to play and which to save for another trip, haha.

Solid line up...!    So if you have not played Tobacco Road....its a LOVE or HATE thing 😃   Everyone has to play it once.

Hopefully if your a single player you get paired up with someone who has played it. Four people who have never played might kill someone during the round LOL  First time I played with a local and noted its his favorite course ever, called it "The Disneyland of Golf"

Had friend play if for the first time a year ago.  He is scratch,  his reply was 13-14 great holes and 4-5 WTF HOLES.....he also had a few issues with some the greens LOL  We actually joked about it last weekend and he said its a course you need to play 36 in day if your first time.  He shot well but pretty sure If he played it the second time in day he would probably tear it up.  Its not a hard track honestly once you know the target spots and greens. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 1:51 PM, allparz said:

Mid Pines and Pine Needles are like choosing between your children - both excellent, can't go wrong...

Best description of the situation I've ever read. 

I personally like Mid Pines fractionally better than Pine Needles, but that may just be because I've played it several more times.  I liked Dormie as well but would pretty much always choose MP or PN.  Can't wait to see what they do with Southern Pines, Kyle Franz who renovated Mid Pines is going to take on SP.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:49 PM, Lefty_89 said:

I like this schedule.  36 holes is tough with the daylight/weather and these courses - Greens are bermuda, covered most nights, and play can't start until after 9/10am.  Also a fair chance a day will be a wash. 

With that said:

Day 2 - You could do Pine Needles and ask about playing 9(or more) holes at Mid Pines when completed.

Day 3/4 - Maybe schedule #2 the first day in case of weather...gives you a day to play it in case.  You could do the same here and shoot for 9 holes or more post round.

Day 5 - Play TR.  Hopefully you got some of #8 in on day 3/4.

Edited by PeteNC
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 10:38 PM, Lefty_89 said:

Fellow WRXers - 

im considering doing this as well.

how did booking go? Directly with pinehurst and decent availability? 

hows the package work? Really a better deal than their standard stay and play for that time of year?

12 hours ago, payerasjl said:

im considering doing this as well.

how did booking go? Directly with pinehurst and decent availability? 

hows the package work? Really a better deal than their standard stay and play for that time of year?

Booking went well - I mentioned the "Get Fit with Titleist" package and they knew exactly what it was. Helped me put together a massage/spa package for my wife so she'd get breakfast and dinner covered too.

I am not sure how availability will be now, but worth giving them a call to find out. Good luck!

19 hours ago, payerasjl said:

I compared 2 options. The Titleist Package and the Donald Ross Package. Both quotes are for March. 

Donald Ross: $1299

-2 nights stay

-3 rounds

-$150 upcharge if you want to play #2

-Breakfast & Dinner included

Titleist: $999 

-2 nights stay

-2 rounds + cradle, #2 included

-Titleist fitting

-$200 credit (I verified that if I want I can just use this on balls which is my current plan)

So tweaking a few things to even it up golf wise:

Donald Ross $1500 (adding the #2 upcharge and $50 for the cradle)

Titleist $1150 (adding a third round on at $150 green fee to even things out)

So that's a pretty substantial difference - not even taking into account the value of the Titleist fitting and the shop credit (my current plan is to just buy 4 dozen balls and be set on golf balls for the 2021 season - I don't really anticipate buying clubs through this). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, payerasjl said:

For those that know, how is pinehurst during the valid dates? Am I going to be miserable and frozen or it’s definitely playable in Jan/feb? 

personally I wouldn’t chance Jan/Feb. but my tolerance for cold weather golf is very low. 

likely will be “playable” meaning the courses are open. Could have some morning frost delays. It does snow but not often. 

I’m going the last weekend in March and that’s about the earliest I’m willing to roll the dice 

17 hours ago, ND2005 said:

personally I wouldn’t chance Jan/Feb. but my tolerance for cold weather golf is very low. 

likely will be “playable” meaning the courses are open. Could have some morning frost delays. It does snow but not often. 

I’m going the last weekend in March and that’s about the earliest I’m willing to roll the dice 

So you wouldn’t chance it during those months because you personally have a low tolerance for temperature but not because it’s unplayable and unbearably cold and conditions would be terrible?

I guess my tolerance for the cold is higher. I’m not concerned with being cold necessarily, just don’t want to deal with delays and possible cancellations due to the temperature 

3 hours ago, payerasjl said:

So you wouldn’t chance it during those months because you personally have a low tolerance for temperature but not because it’s unplayable and unbearably cold and conditions would be terrible?

I guess my tolerance for the cold is higher. I’m not concerned with being cold necessarily, just don’t want to deal with delays and possible cancellations due to the temperature 

Correct, I just don't enjoy playing much in those sub 50 conditions, especially not at Pinehurst prices. 

On 1/1/2021 at 11:11 AM, payerasjl said:

For those that know, how is pinehurst during the valid dates? Am I going to be miserable and frozen or it’s definitely playable in Jan/feb? 

Could get weather in the 30s or 50s. When I went in earlier Februrary 3 years ago I was in shorts the 2 days I was there.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:14 PM, CDM said:

Solid line up...!    So if you have not played Tobacco Road....its a LOVE or HATE thing 😃   Everyone has to play it once.

Hopefully if your a single player you get paired up with someone who has played it. Four people who have never played might kill someone during the round LOL  First time I played with a local and noted its his favorite course ever, called it "The Disneyland of Golf"

Had friend play if for the first time a year ago.  He is scratch,  his reply was 13-14 great holes and 4-5 WTF HOLES.....he also had a few issues with some the greens LOL  We actually joked about it last weekend and he said its a course you need to play 36 in day if your first time.  He shot well but pretty sure If he played it the second time in day he would probably tear it up.  Its not a hard track honestly once you know the target spots and greens. 

Tobacco Road is more like a Love / Love / Love / Hate thing.  It's different, but most guys love it and want to play it again.  I'd play 36 at Tobacco Road any day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 12:36 PM, ND2005 said:

I compared 2 options. The Titleist Package and the Donald Ross Package. Both quotes are for March. 

-2 nights stay

-3 rounds

-2 nights stay

-Titleist fitting

-$200 credit (I verified that if I want I can just use this on balls which is my current plan)

So that's a pretty substantial difference - not even taking into account the value of the Titleist fitting and the shop credit (my current plan is to just buy 4 dozen balls and be set on golf balls for the 2021 season - I don't really anticipate buying clubs through this). 

Where did you find the Titeleist package?? I’d be interested in that. That sounds like a pretty good deal for March golf at Pinehurst. I recently sent an email in on their packages and they never discussed a Titeleist package. I would like to find that. Thank you.

On 12/28/2020 at 12:36 PM, ND2005 said:

-2 nights stay

-3 rounds

-2 nights stay

-Titleist fitting

I found it. Looks like the prices went up. It’s now 1199$ March 1-April 5 https://www.pinehurst.com/plan-your-stay/titleist-get-fit/?NCK=8552964145

although the Titeleist page advertises it at 999$ https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/the-team-titleist-pinehurst-package-is-back-for-2021

I wonder what gives???

Probably demand I would imagine...

I booked back in November and it sounded like they still had plenty of availability but once word got out they probably raised prices. Either that or they changed the lodging from the Carolina Inn and had to justify it.

Edited by Lefty_89

7 hours ago, TFavor said:

I found it. Looks like the prices went up. It’s now 1199$ March 1-April 5 https://www.pinehurst.com/plan-your-stay/titleist-get-fit/?NCK=8552964145

although the Titeleist page advertises it at 999$ https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/the-team-titleist-pinehurst-package-is-back-for-2021

I wonder what gives???

The websites have had that discrepancy since they first posted the package. I would just call and ask.

• 2 weeks later...

I called today and switched to the Titleist package for our trip mid-February, took less than 5 min. Such a good deal, now just need weather not to be too brutal 

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18