MACHINE Putters, comeback?

I have always admired Dave Billing's work and innovations with his MACHINE putters. I do own a MACHINE M2A with multiple flanges and also shafts and really enjoy his creation. This was his last creation for me, the Megaladon flange/tail and the double bent arm lock shaft with his new "delta mod" that allowed you to change the lie/loft (see the square connector between the shaft & the putter body). I got the M2A body previously so this was all parts for my armlock faze back then:

image.png.653c02edf642853b78c7e1babd110aa1.png

I have called Dave, talked with him with my orders and he always nailed it with my order. Yeah, his last order took a very long time like 8 months but at least he responded and full filled his end. I think that was back in 2016, I would say.

Since 2016, MACHINE putters really went downhill in reputation. They were a sponsor here and there was a lot of anger/anguish about the delays, non responsiveness. With my order, I told Dave he straight out needs to be the creator and let someone manage his business and he can focus on the art & innovation as I think he was trying to be both. I didn't see or hear anymore about MACHINE except one time I thought I saw posts on someone was selling what looks like Art & Garage MACHINE putters from Texas for a bargain price. I did hear they moved the factory and then there was silence...

But it's now 2020 and it looks like Dave may be making a comeback in 2020. I think this is his new site: https://machinestarter.com/

He also has a Facebook page as well (https://www.facebook.com/MACHINE.putters/) and the About shows Dave there with the company.

In a way I am glad Dave is back and whatever issues/problems his company has had, let's hope its in the past and he's fixed that in his new company. That company had some outstanding people like @choeppner and Libby

I think it would be great for golf if Dave was back and creating again. The guy was a genius with the concept of MACHINE and changeable parts. Even in 2020, not many people are doing that afaik.

What say you, especially all the MACHINE owners out there?

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I really hope Dave comes back.  I still have 4 of Machines, 2 being damascus. Fully agree on him getting help to run the business.  Its clear he bit off more than he could chew and he suffered for it.

I wish him well and a successful come back... before anyone makes a meal of bad experiences, I had one too.... every saint a past, every sinner a future.

• Like 2

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

17 minutes ago, LionGolfer said:

I really hope Dave comes back.  I still have 4 of Machines, 2 being damascus. Fully agree on him getting help to run the business.  Its clear he bit off more than he could chew and he suffered for it.

I wish him well and a successful come back... before anyone makes a meal of bad experiences, I had one too.... every saint a past, every sinner a future.

Well, said LionGolfer. Well said!

I checked out Facebook site. It looks like MACHINE restarted around November 2019. Oh man, going through the FB is like going through a jewellery shop, all the lovely bling, bling, bling...drooling at Dave's craftmanship...😍

Edited by SwingBlues

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

You gotta back $400-500 depending on the putter you want, then have to wait 12-14+ months to even get your putter based on their campaign time lines. 

Uh that's a good chunk of change and a lot of time for something to go wrong. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

The wide diameter shaft HOG putters had a functional difference compared to anything else on the market, and I think Billings best business strategy would have been to maintain and grow the HOG putter concept.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

It looks like all the available stock on the website consists of older putters. How do the newer “projects” work? Is the website kind of confusing...or is it just me? Do a bunch of people “fund” the putter projects, then have first dibs on buying the pieces they funded?

I clicked on the “pledge” button for one of the projects and it explains the process better. You’re only “charged” if they reach their funding goal. Given that none of the projects have any funding yet and they’re supposed to be completed in the next month or two, I doubt any of the projects will be completed at all.

Edited by jonradus

This would be great. Was a big fan of the product, big critic of the operation. Hopefully it’s managed properly this time because DB is a true putter artisan. 
On a side note, anybody have a flow neck hosel for an M2A they want to sell to a chilly Canadian?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skhacker said:

This would be great. Was a big fan of the product, big critic of the operation. Hopefully it’s managed properly this time because DB is a true putter artisan. 
On a side note, anybody have a flow neck hosel for an M2A they want to sell to a chilly Canadian?

I got one but I'm keeping mine. That's one of my favorite necks, next to the long twisty that Dave made for me 😊 I remember my wife going berzerk on me "why do you need so many shafts"... but in hindsight, I AM SO GLAD I DID & bear her 🔥🔥🔥 wrath... 😜

Seriously, reach out to Dave and his company and see what they say? I would but I don't need anything MACHINE at the moment plus I am saving for my G425 in January.

Edited by SwingBlues

I hope he makes a good comeback! I love some of his putters they feel great and look great! Sold all mine recently but always looking for him to make new ones!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

On 12/10/2020 at 7:09 AM, luke1333 said:

I hope he makes a good comeback! I love some of his putters they feel great and look great! Sold all mine recently but always looking for him to make new ones!

I would never sell mine, plus it has all my personal stamping that I asked Dave to add to the original flange and sole. So it's a keeper. Plus the wife would beat me up real bad after spending all the $$$$ on it including all the extra shafts and flanges.

After posting this thread, I decide to pull out my gamer putter and put in my M2A but with the regular flange and with the long twisty neck. My buds and I played at Woodley Lakes here in Los Angeles this Saturday.

513258964_2020-12-1214_39.09_B.jpg.ae0c17d8e232d8b42ced45a163b67551.jpg

*** if you are a fan of the X-Files, you will note my stamping "Trust * Hole One" as a play on Mulder & Scully's "Trust No One" 😁

We had a late tee time (oh my god, what a NIGHTMARE the tee times booking has been while under these COVID conditions)

Nonetheless... my M2A rolled a birdie on #2 Par 4, #3 Par 3 and #4 Par 5 and then #13 Par 5. And burnt the edge on so many more, it was just FREAKY for a -3 round, finishing in the dark and with winds blowing a good 25 mph.

The kicker is that COVID lockdown conditions meant all practice greens were closed. It was rolled on the 1st green after so many years and then the ball started rolling & dropping. Rolling and dropping. My buds were going nutz...

Wanted to share this shot that was taken from the #14 tee box. It was so pretty but DANG it was blowing and cold (for Los Angeles anything less than 70F is COLD)

1925872908_2020-12-1216_15_15-1_B.jpg.756623d945e8d09bfbac5dd5c900ffa5.jpg

Anyway, I'll leave my M2A in the bag for the rest of this year.

I really missed this putter. The softness of Dave's VMG milling on the face. I don't think I rolled anything softer, even with the MTB-X ball. I might even change to a rincon neck just for the heck of it...there is so much combination.

I really don't think a lot of golfers really understood how flexible and ingenious Dave's MACHINE system really is. Yeah his artistry with Damascus is MIND BLOWING along with Garage and Art putter but really, the basic core of his build is really  under appreciated.

Who knows as golf equipment heading more towards customizations, lets hope MACHINE makes a comeback 👍👍👍

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Sorry I might get told off for saying this but they look horrible... If Damascus is the only thing people are raving about I much prefer Lajosi Putters... 

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder so...

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

@LionGolfer Those are such beauties!!! I wished I had the $$$$ for those and if I did, those would be on my wall, not in my backup bag. Magnificent!

I was scanning MACHINE's fb page. Unless I am wrong, they seem to have new & interesting models M1A and M25 Converter...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

@LionGolfer Those are such beauties!!! I wished I had the $$$$ for those and if I did, those would be on my wall, not in my backup bag. Magnificent!

I was scanning MACHINE's fb page. Unless I am wrong, they seem to have new & interesting models M1A and M25 Converter...

Thank you.  They are due for a refinish at some point soon.  Just a hassle from half way across the globe.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

On 12/15/2020 at 9:13 PM, Medson said:

I remember there used to be a really long running thread on Machine putters. 

It's still there, somewhere. Lots of great pictures of Dave's creations with lots of inputs from Choeps also. Then that thread got bad with customer complaints...

So I got this in an email today. I use to be a MACHINE club member (original and also re-up) so I guess they wanted to reach out to all the past members.

The last note at end is telling and, imo, honest of Dave. Kudos to him for addressing the big, pink elephant in the room

image.png.4849d3be197fc66832e7207a7d0aa419.png

• Like 1