Hot melt in a G425

hammergolf

I hit the G425 max and loved everything BUT the sound. I want to have Ping put in hot melt, but I don’t want to effect the bias or GC too much. How much would need to be added to mute the sound?

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I ordered a 15 gram weight for the back of my G425 to take head weight down to 189g. I play head weight around 200-202g. Would this be too much hot melt? My thoughts were I would put in 2g of hot melt with the 26g weight (should be 202 after the hot melt). If I didn’t see a sound difference I was going to put in 12g hot melt, 6g forward and center and 6g all the way back neutral. Thoughts? 

Edited by Scottishducati
  • Like 1

stuff a few cotton balls in it and it mutes it perfectly...add to taste 

Edited by flybyublue
  • Like 3

Driver: Taylormade Sim 9* w/ Ventus Red TR 6x

3-wood: Taylormade Sim Max 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

5-wood: Taylormade Sim w/ Tour AD DI 7x

Driving Iron: Srixon ZX (3-iron)

Irons: Srixon ZX 7 (4 - 9 iron)

Wedges:  Ping Glide 4.0 Raw 46*, 50*, 56*  

Putter: Odyssey O-works 3T or Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Rat or Odyssey 7 Bird 

Golf Ball: '24 Titleist AVX

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet 2 wraps

On 1/16/2021 at 7:50 PM, hammergolf said:

I hit the G425 max and loved everything BUT the sound. I want to have Ping put in hot melt, but I don’t want to effect the bias or GC too much. How much would need to be added to mute the sound?

So my G425 max head was 198 grams when I got it which was a bit light for my setup coming in around C9 swingweight (playing length 45” Ventus Red 6X with a 57 gram grip - the red plays a touch counterbalanced compared to the blue or the back Ventus).

The G425 max sound was not to my liking since it sounded like an old cobra or softball bat. I added 4 grams of hot melt to the middle/front of the bottom of the head where the hollow sound comes from. It now sounds very comparable to better sounding Ping heads with the hot melt. I probably could have gotten away with only doing 2 grams to change the sound but needed 2 more grams of weight to get to D2. 

Edited by Scottishducati
  • Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 7:50 PM, hammergolf said:

go with 4g. Also, Ping will adjust the back weight to get to your SW required, after adding hot melt, so you don’t have to worry about it being heavy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure every 2 grams of headweight equates to 1 swingweight...check me on that but somthing close is the point.  The g425 Max head is already heavy at 206 grams...adding 4grams to the head plus some counter balance weight can really change dynamics...need to pay attention to overall club weight too.  Counter balance shafts are a good option for the g425 for this reason.  

On 1/22/2021 at 9:04 AM, Scottishducati said:

I ordered a 15 gram weight for the back of my G425 to take head weight down to 189g. I play head weight around 200-202g. Would this be too much hot melt? My thoughts were I would put in 2g of hot melt with the 26g weight (should be 202 after the hot melt). If I didn’t see a sound difference I was going to put in 12g hot melt, 6g forward and center and 6g all the way back neutral. Thoughts? 

Sounds like a lot of hotmelt. What did you end up doing?  Don't they sell a back weight around 20 grams instead of the stock 26g?  Going to a 15g weight in back will change dynamics big time i'm guessing...

6 hours ago, flybyublue said:

Sounds like a lot of hotmelt. What did you end up doing?  Don't they sell a back weight around 20 grams instead of the stock 26g?  Going to a 15g weight in back will change dynamics big time i'm guessing...

So I ended up throwing the 15 in the back and put 10 grams of lead tape up front to test it at a higher loft. The driver is amazing without changing out the weight but needed it at its lowest setting. I thought I’d try it with a lower spin setup with more loft. The way it’s playing right now is a more forgiving LST. I haven’t played with it like this on the course yet since I just set it up this way yesterday. We’ll see how it goes. 
7F943DC3-427D-4B46-A963-4B6E92E5DF6D.jpeg.4daf953e2c2d734b884d2b11038c305a.jpeg

can someone point me in the direction of how you would add hotmelt after the driver is purchased? like a way to do it from home? thanks!

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

8 minutes ago, xandersingh said:

can someone point me in the direction of how you would add hotmelt after the driver is purchased? like a way to do it from home? thanks!

I got the hotmelt kit from golf works for around $150. It works good enough and the hotmelt is the same quality as a good one. A nice setup is expensive but way nicer to use. I just don’t hotmelt that often so I just need it to do its job. 

Edited by Scottishducati

2 hours ago, J13 said:

I've hotmelted about 6 Ping G425's in my shop so far.  I've been able to help sound with as little as 4-5g's and almost all builds involved a lighter weight being added to the perimeter sliding weight.  Fortunately they can be found online fairly easily.  Also most Ping builds for tour players are doing this exact same thing.

If anyone needs assistance with melt and don't have a local place just pm me.  Happy to help.

good to know, thanks.  I just ordered a 21 gram weight, plan on adding 4g of hotmelt to keep swingweight the same since it's working so well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, flybyublue said:

good to know, thanks.  I just ordered a 21 gram weight, plan on adding 4g of hotmelt to keep swingweight the same since it's working so well.

4g made a difference in sound when I put it in the bottom center where the ping logo is. That seems to be the spot that makes the hollow noise. 

12 hours ago, J13 said:

I've hotmelted about 6 Ping G425's in my shop so far.  I've been able to help sound with as little as 4-5g's and almost all builds involved a lighter weight being added to the perimeter sliding weight.  Fortunately they can be found online fairly easily.  Also most Ping builds for tour players are doing this exact same thing.

If anyone needs assistance with melt and don't have a local place just pm me.  Happy to help.

If you added hotmelt and went to a lower weighing sliding weight in the back, would that reduce the MOI of the clubhead?

9 hours ago, dach818 said:

If you added hotmelt and went to a lower weighing sliding weight in the back, would that reduce the MOI of the clubhead?

It would lower the moi but because the max is one of the most forgiving drivers ever made you can mess with the cg and not get punished on mishits. I put a 15 gram weight in the back which is what the LST has in the back I believe but because the max has a larger footprint it still has a larger moi or resistance to twisting when mishit. I’m trying to make a forgiving low spin bomber (ventus red tipped an inch and 1/2 helps to lower spin). I moved the cg  forward but also upped the loft by a degree and 1/2 so it will be fun to see what happens. My goal is to keep the spin rate I had at 7.5 degrees (because it was around 2100) but up the launch by a degree or two. Worst case I can go back and have a long and extremely forgiving driver. 

34 minutes ago, dach818 said:

That’s what I thought.  I think I’m going to add 6 grams of hotmelt in the max and use a 15 gram weight to keep the swingweight down.

Your talking about very minimal numbers there.  You would be taking weight away from the perimeter, but look at it this way, 6 grams on a 200 gram head is only 3% of the weight.  Couple that with the fact the weight is still there, just placed in a slightly different location.  It won't move the CG or do anything of that nature, just way too small of an amount, and not moved far enough way from the original CG to have any effect.

Edited by Golfrnut

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

10 hours ago, dach818 said:

Depends on where you put the hotmelt and how much.  But we are talking minimal changes unless you are slamming 15g against the face.  For example the G425LST has a 17g weight. Most tour players replace that with a 14g weight and add some hotmelt for sound and possibly bias based on specs.  In this situation the MOI change is minimal and won't impact performance.

Edited by J13
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

19 minutes ago, J13 said:

Depends on where you put the hotmelt and how much.  But we are talking minimal changes unless you are slamming 15g against the face.  For example the G425LST has a 17g weight. Most tour players replace that with a 14g weight and add some hotmelt for sound and possibly bias based on specs.  In this situation the MOI change is minimal and won't impact performance.

@J13 Will I be able to affect spin rate (or try and keep it similar to the lower lofted setting) if i go from a 25g weight in the back to a 14g weight (weighed both and that’s what both came out to with the same screw) and then put 11g of lead tape in the front with 4g of hotmelt also in the front center? It’s about 15g of weight forward (picture shown above). My head weight was only 198 when I got it and moved it to 202g similar to the lst I was playing. It definitely feels like I achieved what I was looking for after playing with it. Launch went up a bit going from 7.5 (Big -) to 9 degree stock setting. It was never spinny for me anyways so I might just be marginally changing it but enjoying the benefits of flying it further. 

1 minute ago, Scottishducati said:

@J13 Will I be able to affect spin rate (or try and keep it similar to the lower lofted setting) if i go from a 25g weight in the back to a 14g weight (weighed both and that’s what both came out to with the same screw) and then put 11g of lead tape in the front with 4g of hotmelt also in the front center? It’s about 15g of weight forward (picture shown above). My head weight was only 198 when I got it and moved it to 202g similar to the lst I was playing. It definitely feels like I achieved what I was looking for after playing with it. Launch went up a bit going from 7.5 (Big -) to 9 degree stock setting. It was never spinny for me anyways so I might just be marginally changing it but enjoying the benefits of flying it further. 

Those changes will definitely effect spin rate.

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

@J13 I have had an issue with the 410LST turning it over (very fade bias imo). I even had to  take the regular and close it 1.5 as well. I miss the 400 max. I am a in/out +4 aoa guy at 112. I read somewhere tour pros are hotmelting the LST in the heel? Have you heard this by chance? Do you have any set up suggestions for me? I really want to play the MAX head? Thanks...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

On 2/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, Wardonation said:

@J13 I have had an issue with the 410LST turning it over (very fade bias imo). I even had to  take the regular and close it 1.5 as well. I miss the 400 max. I am a in/out +4 aoa guy at 112. I read somewhere tour pros are hotmelting the LST in the heel? Have you heard this by chance? Do you have any set up suggestions for me? I really want to play the MAX head? Thanks...

I haven't heard that about hotmelt location but looking at the players setups and what CG shifter weight they have (most 14g instead of 17g) they don't have much room to play with.  Basically, it looks like they are adding melt in the 3-4g range which won't add any sort of noticeable bias.  I would bet its mostly for acoustics as the 425 is louder than previous generations.

My recommendation is try the Ping G425 Max.  The moveable/sliding weight is amazing.  Also try the Callaway Epic Max or LS if you need less spin.  Very easy to make them draw bias.

Edel PROTO

4 hours ago, J13 said:

I haven't heard that about hotmelt location but looking at the players setups and what CG shifter weight they have (most 14g instead of 17g) they don't have much room to play with.  Basically, it looks like they are adding melt in the 3-4g range which won't add any sort of noticeable bias.  I would bet its mostly for acoustics as the 425 is louder than previous generations.

My recommendation is try the Ping G425 Max.  The moveable/sliding weight is amazing.  Also try the Callaway Epic Max or LS if you need less spin.  Very easy to make them draw bias.

Thanks @j13 I value your judgement as you know more than me for sure. I am thinking MAX 9 degree will let me play with face angle and weight. I will hotmelt for sure. I am low spin guy but looking at the "MAX" from most people looks like the spin can be a touch high? I am locked on the Ventus Blue 6x for sure, might tip it a touch though to help with spin as well. I will purchase first then get on QUAD 🤣.. Typical wrxer style... 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

On 2/11/2021 at 6:57 AM, Scottishducati said:

So I ended up throwing the 15 in the back and put 10 grams of lead tape up front to test it at a higher loft. The driver is amazing without changing out the weight but needed it at its lowest setting. I thought I’d try it with a lower spin setup with more loft. The way it’s playing right now is a more forgiving LST. I haven’t played with it like this on the course yet since I just set it up this way yesterday. We’ll see how it goes. 
7F943DC3-427D-4B46-A963-4B6E92E5DF6D.jpeg.4daf953e2c2d734b884d2b11038c305a.jpeg

I am liking your set up (makes sense) to me. Do you have any updates on this? Did you order lighter head or did the rear weight change get you to the 198? Thanks dude....

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

1 minute ago, Wardonation said:

Thanks @j13 I value your judgement as you know more than me for sure. I am thinking MAX 9 degree will let me play with face angle and weight. I will hotmelt for sure. I am low spin guy but looking at the "MAX" from most people looks like the spin can be a touch high? I am locked on the Ventus Blue 6x for sure, might tip it a touch though to help with spin as well. I will purchase first then get on QUAD 🤣.. Typical wrxer style... 

haha happy to help and best of luck.  The MAX wasn't high spin for me, i would classify it as moderate spin.  

Edel PROTO

2 minutes ago, J13 said:

haha happy to help and best of luck.  The MAX wasn't high spin for me, i would classify it as moderate spin.  

Ya I am not fast 49 years old 112 driver anywhere from +4 to +6 AOA, 3 to 4 in to out, quick transition... 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)