PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters

pga43

4 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

I had toyed with doing a combo set because I did not really like the look of the more lofted irons.  The problem is you do not see the whole set until you own them and they are in your hands. I think one change to their fitting process I would do is to make sure you have one set of heads for the entire club line at each location so you could at least see what they looked like, because how can you make that call if you do not see the club.

For me the look of a club is huge.  When researching the Gen 4 irons prior to my fitting I looked at the specs and in the Gen 3 irons they have a 1º loft difference between T and P models.  In Gen 4 that difference is now 2º which means if you do a combo set you are facing a 6º difference or you are going to change the bounce if you loft adjust them - and I did not like my options with that.

The good ending to the story is that the Gen 4s  seem a touch smaller to my eye - and I am sure the black is helping with that.

A quick review from round 1 with the Gen 4 irons - it was mixed. It was raining and the Lamkin Z5 is not a great rain grip.  It was a lighter rain so I started with only 1 glove on and that lead to some loose shots with no right hand grip on the club.

I hit some great shots with them, but they are clearly different than the Gen 3s.  The thing I did not get a feel for was relative length.  I can do that in the simulator, but the on course distances is what I want to see.  The looks are stellar to my eye,  Now I need a day where I am not hitting from the tall stuff as I was on Sunday.

This makes sense. I got the combo set only due to the numbers at the fit with Dave Cunningham at PXG Scottsdale.  I was set on all Tours but the P's in the 4-7irons were just so spot on.  I did have my custom builder when he installed the PXIO shafts and added weight to make them match my specific MOI frequency, weaken the P's 1 degree loft wise and match the lies all throughout.  The PXIO 6.0 is a solid feeling shaft but easy to load and they stay on a rope. Super straight with these heads and the brushed shaft with the milled heads just looks really sexy to boot! Not quite as sexy as your AJ! This darkness Gen4's are the cats a**! Now if someone would make a custom ferules that fits these iron heads...

• Like 3

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Cut my X driver down to 44.75” and put a 20 gram weight in the front. Played around at the range with the sleeve and cranked it 1.5 open down to 9*. Pure sledgehammer now. Wow. Think I found a setting I liked that took the left side out. Now let’s see if that works in the course. 

Edited by OspreyCI
  • Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who had the proto 3w, how was forgiveness?

I hit it and the gen4 today. Gen4 is a big time no-go. It went left, often, even set to little -. Fitter said it was draw biased...which I could already tell. He then popped the proto head on...all fades. It has potential. I also didn't find it spinny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

For those of you who had the proto 3w, how was forgiveness?

I hit it and the gen4 today. Gen4 is a big time no-go. It went left, often, even set to little -. Fitter said it was draw biased...which I could already tell. He then popped the proto head on...all fades. It has potential. I also didn't find it spinny.

I have had the Proto 3 & 5 wood since the release. VERY forgiving. They are not hookers, but spinny. Wait, after my driver fitting yesterday, it has to be the shaft I have in them. I hit them so darn straight, can draw, can fade, high or low. They are my go to even thru the narrowest windows when I miss the fairway. It’s nuts what I can do with them. 

I have demo’d the Gen4 3 wood during my iron fitting and did not see enough to upgrade. 

Now I just need a Ventus Red to plug into each. 

Edited by OspreyCI

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

2 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

I have had the Proto 3 & 5 wood since the release. VERY forgiving. They are not hookers, but spinny. Wait, after my driver fitting yesterday, it has to be the shaft I have in them. I hit them so darn straight, can draw, can fade, high or low. They are my go to even thru the narrowest windows when I miss the fairway. It’s nuts what I can do with them. 

I have demo’d the Gen4 3 wood during my iron fitting and did not see enough to upgrade. 

I'm testing 3Ws. I hit the gen4 and proto today. Didn't care for the gen4 at all. But the proto surprised me. If the three 3Ws I'm testing don't wow me then I may give the proto a try. 

I'm popping ventus red in the stz right now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

What weight setup do you have in the proto?

3 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

What weight setup do you have in the proto?

All stock. 17.5 and 2.5’s. Small minus. Crappy stock Diamana S+ 70 shaft. But…. Can really work it, but lose distance on straight shots when I need to get into par 5’s. I use it 99% off the deck. Play a tree lined course and funny what I can do with them when I spray the driver. My partners just laugh. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

9 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I'm testing 3Ws. I hit the gen4 and proto today. Didn't care for the gen4 at all. But the proto surprised me. If the three 3Ws I'm testing don't wow me then I may give the proto a try. 

I'm popping ventus red in the stz right now. 

Right on.  I was very surprised when I was fit at PXG yesterday for a Ventus Black for my Gen4 X driver. That tells me a red would be money in my Proto. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I have owned the Gen2, Prot and Gen 4 3 & 5 woods, IMO

Gen2s are hot but harder to hit consistently

Protos are awesome for a hot face but spin a lot and it is hard to get things straight to maximize the clubs.

For me the Gen 4s are money.  They were pretty good with the Riptide CB shaft, but they are a big step up with the GD Tour AD TP shaft in them - that shaft just works for me

I am a draw biased player and the Gen 4 FWs are not draw biased IMO.  The can fade them , straight or a slight draw if I really go after them.  As I have said a few times in teh past - the shaft is a huge aspect in the total fit.

I also think you have to get the drip right as well.  I just switched my irons and when I dialed in teh grips it made a big difference in teh woods and irons - if your grip is too small your grip tension will be too high and for me it means the ball is going left.  Any of the PXG FWs are great - you just need to spend time to dial them in.

• Like 2

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Well, I played today and did a lot of 3w testing. Trying to make the stz work and it just isn't. 2 other 3woods that have their pluses and minuses. Stopped into edwin watts to do some shaft play in the stz and sim max and decided to hit the proto 3w they have in the used bin. That pretty much sold me. It sits so perfectly. TM fairways sit closed. The proto is super easy to hit. 

So....I called and added a proto to my bat attack order. I've always gotten along with the hzrdus yellow and, at no upcharge, it was too much to pass up at $199. That shaft may work, it may not. But I have 2 other shafts waiting. I also have weights from putters so I'll be able to toy with settings. 

Guess it's more testing time...

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 1

So I just ordered the Gen4 0811X in a 9*.  Supposed to be here mid week sometime.  So I got the itch to try something lower lofted since I am playing the AutoFlex SF505XX, which produces a high high launch.  I found a 7.5* off the bay and ordered it.  With the issued with Fed Ex the 7.5 got here before the 9 from PXG.  Tested it on the range but I was snapping it left and added 5g of weight but put it in the back.  Still going left when I tried to step on it but when I smoothed it out, it was easy to launch and felt great.  I was testing a bunch of shafts and heads so I need to get some time alone with just the Gen4 and a couple of shafts (AutoFlex SF505XX, Ventus Black 5X, 6X, 7X, Ventus Blue 6X, 7X, Ventus Red 6X (tipped 2inch) and Tensei 1K 50TX and 60TX).  Once the 9* gets here I’ll tinker around with just those 2 heads as currently the Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 10.5* (actual loft is 10* but turned down to 9.25) is in the bag. The Ventus Black 5X is def giving the AF a run for its money.

I recently got a Gen4 5 wood with Ventus Blue 7X and it’s a def beast.  Really hot off the face, easy to launch and control.  Very long.  Still working to hit it off the deck as I’m struggling to hit any FW off the deck and one reason I switched to a hybrid a couple years ago.  However it created a gap in my bag and so I’m trying to go back to a 5 wood.  This is a def contender along with the Sim2 ti 5 wood with a Ventus Red 7X.  Love the shallow face of both. The Gen 4 clubs really surprised me as I did not like the Gen 2 3 wood.  Bomber for certain but I had a hard time being consistent with it.  The Proto Driver was good but I don’t think I paired it with the best shaft at the time and lost confidence in it quickly and stopped hitting it after 2 rounds. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

10 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Well, I played today and did a lot of 3w testing. Trying to make the stz work and it just isn't. 2 other 3woods that have their pluses and minuses. Stopped into edwin watts to do some shaft play in the stz and sim max and decided to hit the proto 3w they have in the used bin. That pretty much sold me. It sits so perfectly. TM fairways sit closed. The proto is super easy to hit. 

So....I called and added a proto to my bat attack order. I've always gotten along with the hzrdus yellow and, at no upcharge, it was too much to pass up at $199. That shaft may work, it may not. But I have 2 other shafts waiting. I also have weights from putters so I'll be able to toy with settings. 

Guess it's more testing time...

Right on. Let us know how you like the Proto 3 wood. Love my 3 & 5 woods. Just need to upgrade the stock shaft on mine. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

Right on. Let us know how you like the Proto 3 wood. Love my 3 & 5 woods. Just need to upgrade the stock shaft on mine. 

I will dude. I'm very hopeful. The way I've hit it twice now makes me optimistic. It's super easy to launch, even at 14 degrees. The hosel adjustability allows me to get lie flatter and tweak loft. Then the weight ports allow me to shift CoG. I'm already eyeing 10g weights heel and toe with a lighter weight up front. 

Having a bunch of weights from my operator AND Pxg using the same weights for all their clubs is just fantastic. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I will dude. I'm very hopeful. The way I've hit it twice now makes me optimistic. It's super easy to launch, even at 14 degrees. The hosel adjustability allows me to get lie flatter and tweak loft. Then the weight ports allow me to shift CoG. I'm already eyeing 10g weights heel and toe with a lighter weight up front. 

Having a bunch of weights from my operator AND Pxg using the same weights for all their clubs is just fantastic. 

Gotta ask. Never thought about splitting the heavy weight in front to heel and toe. What would that do for launch and spin? You got me thinking. 

Just finished a round and hit the 3 wood off the deck just so good today. Small minus setting with a baby cut. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

2 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Gotta ask. Never thought about splitting the heavy weight in front to heel and toe. What would that do for launch and spin? You got me thinking. 

Just finished a round and hit the 3 wood off the deck just so good today. Small minus setting with a baby cut. 

I played the original 16 m1...with the dual adjustable weights. I split them back then. Basically produced a shot that didn't have a ton of gear effect. 2 ways to increase moi...weight on the edges or weight back. The proto sets up to move weight back a touch and move it to the edges.  Should straighten out flight. Effect on launch and spin should be negligible.  With 15g in the front center you're going to get gear affect side spin with contact not in the center. Weights in the outer ports will negate some sidespin on an off center strike, compared to that 15g front weight setup.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I played the original 16 m1...with the dual adjustable weights. I split them back then. Basically produced a shot that didn't have a ton of gear effect. 2 ways to increase moi...weight on the edges or weight back. The proto sets up to move weight back a touch and move it to the edges.  Should straighten out flight. Effect on launch and spin should be negligible.  With 15g in the front center you're going to get gear affect side spin with contact not in the center. Weights in the outer ports will negate some sidespin on an off center strike, compared to that 15g front weight setup.

Might have to experiment with this. Thanks. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

Do it! Tinker away. Why else would you be on this site? 

You are not wrong. I happen to play for small amount of money every weekend and just need a small amount of changes to bring in more money. Love playing for something more than a score. Can’t imagine having a putt for 15 million… haha. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

10 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

I think from an MOI and low spin stand point it’s the best of both worlds with weights balanced heel and toe.  Also since those ports are a little rear of center, probably throw in great forgiveness too. 

I love the power cut with the 3wood. Nice work! 

• Like 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

8 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

I think from an MOI and low spin stand point it’s the best of both worlds with weights balanced heel and toe.  Also since those ports are a little rear of center, probably throw in great forgiveness too. 

I love the power cut with the 3wood. Nice work! 

Split weighting forgiveness in a small profile is what I'm hopeful for. Fitter said the spinny head deal with the proto is hit or miss...manuf tolerances maybe?

If getting the right shaft is key then I have several different profiles I'll be able to choose from...hzrdus smoke yellow, ventus red, speeder evo2. One of them should work.

• Like 2

G4 Drivers back down to $349 after the quick rise to $399.

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

13 minutes ago, GFish said:

I am really disappointed how PXG devalues their current generation of irons, drivers and Sugar Daddy wedges.  Really bad business practice and I doubt I will purchase their product again.   Makes you wonder if they have financial issues.  Premium companies like PXG once was, just don’t do that.  

I have a full set of everything PXG and think I might be done with them.  I know most golf companies lower their prices, but not to the extent PXG has since Covid and it is even worse this year.  

Maybe they'll sell me their Mitchell and a Trackman when they close their doors... 🤞

On 9/5/2021 at 4:28 PM, OspreyCI said:

Might have to experiment with this. Thanks. 

You try splitting the weight out on heel and toe yet?

I did some shaft swapping between 2 of the 3woods I'm testing. Took advantage and hit the used proto 3w at Edwin watts again today. I am eagerly anticipating my proto now. Every time I hit it it gets better. It does not lack for ballspeed. It isn't spinning up for me. And it may be the easiest to hit 3w I've ever tried. Ball seems to just climb off the face. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

You try splitting the weight out on heel and toe yet?

I did some shaft swapping between 2 of the 3woods I'm testing. Took advantage and hit the used proto 3w at Edwin watts again today. I am eagerly anticipating my proto now. Every time I hit it it gets better. It does not lack for ballspeed. It isn't spinning up for me. And it may be the easiest to hit 3w I've ever tried. Ball seems to just climb off the face. 

No, have not tried it yet. Working on getting a new shaft for it first. Been liking what I see after playing it for many months. Just need a more solid shaft in it. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick