PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters

pga43

I have been playing around with the Proto X+ for the last few weeks. I purchased it with the Evenflow CB shaft. Initially I was hugely disappointed. It seemed so much harder to find anywhere near the center of the face compared to the Cobra Speedzone XD I am gaming. I had ordered extra weights with it to play around with but no matter how I configured the weights the results were very inconsistent and not favorable. I recently purchased an new old stock Matrix Red Tie 6q3 for it from a member here and from my initial testing it is so much better. Distance is probably on par with the Cobra but dispersion definitely seems tighter. Getting the right shaft pairing is always important of course, but it seems like it is even more so important with this head. Could be just me of course 🙂

Just now, Dpavs said:

I have been playing around with the Proto X+ for the last few weeks. I purchased it with the Evenflow CB shaft. Initially I was hugely disappointed. It seemed so much harder to find anywhere near the center of the face compared to the Cobra Speedzone XD I am gaming. I had ordered extra weights with it to play around with but no matter how I configured the weights the results were very inconsistent and not favorable. I recently purchased an new old stock Matrix Red Tie 6q3 for it from a member here and from my initial testing it is so much better. Distance is probably on par with the Cobra but dispersion definitely seems tighter. Getting the right shaft pairing is always important of course, but it seems like it is even more so important with this head. Could be just me of course 🙂

You are spot on...I found with my Proto+ head (gamed it for the last two seasons), it was all about getting the most stable shaft for my SS that still had a little smoothness.  With this head I would always error on the side of more stable shaft from an EI profile stand point, as it can get heavy (with the weight tinkering) and likes a center high/ center slightly toe strike to be optimized. Also loft sleeve helped me a ton, having the option to go onto the 3* flat "PXG" setting was night and day for face strike....oh the Velocore in the Ventus didn't hut either

• Like 3

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

On 9/13/2021 at 3:40 PM, tboh said:

Proto is on the way ... wanted to try it as result great reviews for dispersion adjustability etc ... going to try w stock diamana shaft but that has me worried ... looking for fairways but would never turn away any distance help

I'm admittedly NOT a range guy ... 1st round inconsistency was rough BUT few good ones were just what I wanted ... long laser like straight or baby fade (sigh)

I think next round will be flat setting as I need to get rid of that overdraw permanently (I wish)

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 9:59 PM, evoviiiyou said:

I think from an MOI and low spin stand point it’s the best of both worlds with weights balanced heel and toe.  Also since those ports are a little rear of center, probably throw in great forgiveness too. 

I love the power cut with the 3wood. Nice work! 

I've been experimenting with the weight configuration in my Proto 3 wood and for my last 2 rounds I tried a 10g weight in the toe, 7.5g in the heel, 2.5g in the center. This has been the best combination for me so far.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Golf Pig said:

I've been experimenting with the weight configuration in my Proto 3 wood and for my last 2 rounds I tried a 10g weight in the toe, 7.5g in the heel, 2.5g in the center. This has been the best combination for me so far.

Been a couple of posts about splitting the weights heel and toe in the Proto 3 wood. I might just have to try this. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 9/14/2021 at 6:30 PM, tboh said:

I'm admittedly NOT a range guy ... 1st round inconsistency was rough BUT few good ones were just what I wanted ... long laser like straight or baby fade (sigh)

I think next round will be flat setting as I need to get rid of that overdraw permanently (I wish)

Round 2 ... Heavy weight in toe & Proto is fairway finder for me on decent+ strikes ... it has become fairly easy for me to hit straight to baby fade & have it 2 of my longer drives of the year when nutted ... problem is it cant cure the old quacker caused by my gut wrenching swing ... it's definitely a deal if you're looking for driver

• Like 2

I have a lot of stick time with my Gen 4 clubs, and the biggest thing for me in the woodish clubs is the shafts.  The hybrid has the Tensei CK Blue and the FWs and driver have GD Tour AD TP shafts - and the TP is a fantastic shaft for me.

AS a lifelong drawer of the golf ball, my easiest shot to hit is a fade. It is easy to control, but the biggest thing I have struggled with is when I need to trust it - like Monday playing a hole with houses - needed to start the ball up the left and over faded the ball due to a lack of stones to trust that it would fade off the house line 🙂  

Gen 2 and Proto versions were very good clubs, but for me the current combos are awesome, and this instills confidence for me to swing freely (as long as I am not playing a shot off houses) 🙂

The milled wedges are awesome, and Gen 4 irons have been awesome as well, but the Gen 3 irons are on par with Gen 4 IMO, and actually Gen 2 are damned good as well.  The fit is everything - shaft, weighting and grip.

• Like 4

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Proto 3w came in today. Put it on launch monitor. Smoke.yellow is definitely not my shaft. Fought it. But this thing DOES NOT lack for ballspeed. It has zero issues with high spin. The opposite actually. Certainly has to be partly shaft related but I was struggling to get spin above 2500 consistently.  Toyed with weights but really can't take a lot away from today given the shaft. But it appears 10g heel, 5g front and 5g toe with the head set to 14 could be really good. 

It'll have to outperform the stz...the more I hit it the more I like it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Proto 3w came in today. Put it on launch monitor. Smoke.yellow is definitely not my shaft. Fought it. But this thing DOES NOT lack for ballspeed. It has zero issues with high spin. The opposite actually. Certainly has to be partly shaft related but I was struggling to get spin above 2500 consistently.  Toyed with weights but really can't take a lot away from today given the shaft. But it appears 10g heel, 5g front and 5g toe with the head set to 14 could be really good. 

It'll have to outperform the stz...the more I hit it the more I like it.

Good stuff! Let’s go. 

Had my first round with the Speeder 757 Evo TS and much improved thank the stock Diamana Limited. Great trajectory and spin came down for me. Nice cut that produced several more yards (what I needed for Par 5’s).

The Proto 5 wood is also still a great performer. Had to hit a high cut over some trees and just performed awesome. 

Glad you are digging the Proto fairway. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 9/16/2021 at 2:00 PM, OspreyCI said:

Been a couple of posts about splitting the weights heel and toe in the Proto 3 wood. I might just have to try this. 

Interesting results going split weights. With the ventus blue 8x at 43", swingweight was d1. So I popped a 5g weight in and removed a 2.5. I then took the 15g and 5g out and put 10g in heel and toe, 2.5g in front port. Launch was pretty low. Put the 10g front and 2.5g in toe and launch came up significantly. 

Then tried 15g front, 5g heel, 2.5g toe and didn't like it. Launch came down a  touch...head felt heavy. 

It's all.feel and delivery but 10g front and heel, 2.5g toe seems to be my setting. Std loft and lie. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tboh said:

Rds 3-6 ... bye bye stock diamana 60 just need to determine what I want (need)

I did the same. Went Ventus Black and just returned it. Just not for me. What’s next. Haha

• Haha 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

I did the same. Went Ventus Black and just returned it. Just not for me. What’s next. Haha

Let me know what you want to try....I gots lots 

• Thanks 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

15 minutes ago, tboh said:

Good question ... I always end up back at 1/2 places (my oban or my accra) but I'd rather find one that already has that pxg adapter on it 😉😉😉

I am open to suggestions

Why not go and get fit for a shaft?  From tons of experience doing the purchase and try route, buying a $300 shaft that you are fit for can be thousands of dollars cheaper 🙂  I just did this with my Gen 4 X and have been thrilled with the Graphite Design Tour AD TP.  I hit about 5-6 shafts and it was pretty obvious for me which shaft worked for me.

I also put that shaft in my FWs and it has been great as well. It is a ton of fun buying and trying stuff  but it is expensive.

• Like 1

I bought the X driver, 3 wood, and 7 wood and love them. Now I want a full bag, but PXG won’t let me just deduct/give credit for the 3 Gen 4 woods I just bought. Kind of ridiculous.

Not sure if I could sell them here and recoup costs. 

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

6 minutes ago, mason82 said:

I bought the X driver, 3 wood, and 7 wood and love them. Now I want a full bag, but PXG won’t let me just deduct/give credit for the 3 Gen 4 woods I just bought. Kind of ridiculous.

Not sure if I could sell them here and recoup costs. 

Haha - not laughing at you but with you because I did the same thing.  I went driver, then hybrid, then 3 and 5 woods.  Then I wanted to update my irons and wedges.  I used the Lucky 7 promo from this summer, but seriously considered doing a full bag deal and selling off the duplicates.

The PXG prices are a bit erratic and they do not always err on the side of their existing customers.  They did issue some refunds when they dropped prices if you bought within 30 days prior to the drop.

My total outlay was similar to the full bag deal but I did not get the bag or hat with it 🙂  For me moving forward I will seriously consider the full bag deal.  Having said all that I am thrilled with my current bag

• Like 1

PXG just moved prices around again - dropping the full bag Gen 4 deal to $2,999 from $3,399 and the Luck 7 deal is back, but they dropped the price to upgrade to Xtreme Dark and there is no up-charge for milled wedges - because they dropped the price to $249 from $399.  The Milled wedges are awesome and these price drops are awesome as well - unless you already paid a lot more for the same thing 2 months ago 🙂 

41 minutes ago, pdxhak said:

Do the Gen 4 drivers and putters use the same weights? 

Yes they do. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Man - I have had the Gen4 X 10.5º driver with GD Tour AD TP shaft and have loved it.  Had a credit and bought a 9º with the same shaft but FLOed.  The 10.5º is small minus or 9.5º and the 9º is the same for 8º.  Used it last week for nine and hit it well - so I took it out tonight to play the same course that I played Sunday for a good comparison.

Holy crap - this setup is amazing.  I absolutely killed it all round long.  I can not say for sure but the FLOed shaft seems to allow me to center up that face more often. The 9º was 20+ yards longer than the 10.5º - and no it was not roll out.  It was slightly lower flight but it just seemed to carry better.

Every one of the Gen 4 clubs has been amazing.  Has anyone else had shafts FLOed and what was your experience with them?

• Like 1