MEMBER REVIEWS: Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons! See What Members Are Saying!

@sniper I ordered the ZX7s -1/4” hoping to match the MP-18 37.75” 5 iron. The ZX7s are just a hair longer than the MP-18 standard length except the PW. That’s to be expected as Srixon does a 1/2” gap from 9 to PW, and Mizuno’s is 1/4”. It looks like Srixon sent you a standard length 4 iron. 

35 minutes ago, mjbfyb said:

@sniper I ordered the ZX7s -1/4” hoping to match the MP-18 37.75” 5 iron. The ZX7s are just a hair longer than the MP-18 standard length except the PW. That’s to be expected as Srixon does a 1/2” gap from 9 to PW, and Mizuno’s is 1/4”. It looks like Srixon sent you a standard length 4 iron. 

Gotcha.  My Mizuno’s were built by Club Champion so I matched the specs from my build sheet to Srixon website . I actually felt a little more comfortable with the slightly shorter ZX5 4I. 

Went to the range today to see my LM guy...and his LM was broken.  I ended up just eyeballing which isn't hard quantitative data, but it's something at least.

Pretty much confirmed all of my first impressions from my on-course test:

• MP20 MMC feel is better - it was more pronounced this time even for really good strikes.  I'd describe it like this - the variance in feel between the two between good strikes and bad strikes is much greater for the MP20 MMC, meaning that good strikes feel better but conversely with bad strikes you can more easily tell that you dun goofed.
  • ZX5 is longer, half a club or more (I would like hard data here)
  • ZX5 is more forgiving by far
  • ZX5 wants to draw
  • ZX5 launches higher
  • ZX5 is more forgiving when you get a little chunky but if you chili dip you're still dead

Same plan - ZX5s stay in the bag for a while for evaluation-over-time but I can tell where this is going.  Again, thank you @Srixon / Cleveland Golf I really am enjoying these and @GolfWRX for calling my number!

Edited by Torrey4Life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Pics of the elusive AW would be a bonus!

Will do! Called again and heard they are shipping! 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

On 2/8/2021 at 8:48 PM, PureStrikes54 said:

Whelp another night of practice off grass. The Zx7's are actually very soft and feel softer the more reps I get in. I didn't really notice this the first few days of testing off mats but shots right out of the middle off grass literally almost feel like "nothing" but are still "hot".  Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but these are quite the irons.

I also think my face/path control has neutralized with these as I didn't notice as much draw bias. Need to get back on the monitor to confirm the ball movement numbers but thus far no "let down". If I can confidently get rid of the big sweeping draw with the short irons I don't see any reason these can't go in the bag for tournaments. 

So another daily practice routine and came to another conclusion with these clubs. These are a ball striker who likes to smash the ball's club. Tour players like Brooks Koepka, Matt Wolff, Stenson, Rahm, among others that get up and just give the ball a smash, play primarily one shot shape exclusively, are the profile I think this suits best. Players that don't do a lot of off speed stuff but control distance by gripping down/changing clubs are the ideal candidates.

Guys like Tiger, Bubba, Patrick Reed, prime Vijay, Webb Simpson, Adam Scott among others that massage a lot of off speed shots, are softer swing profile, and work the ball both ways to control distance I don't think would get along as well. 

However, even for lower capped amateurs I think these are much better suited than say a traditional blade profile. I think club players get in trouble trying to get "cute" working the ball both ways and trying to hit knockdowns. See tons of low pull running hooks when folks try to play knockdowns. I also see a ton of folks come up massively short trying to hit 6 iron from 195 into a par 3 when that's their absolute max flushed distance they hit one time under ideal conditions. These clubs will have a much smaller distance discrepancy than a blade on perfectly flush shots out of the center and mishits vs. a blade. Also I think the long iron shot is the greatest opportunity to "gain strokes" on the field be it into a long par 3 or par 5. I'd much rather have the Zx7 in my hand to hit that shot vs. some butter knife blade.  

Edited by PureStrikes54
  • Like 4

Sigh, posted in the other thread. I ordered my set on 1/9 and just got my shipping notification on Saturday.  ZX5 5 iron, zx7 6-PW. Alas, although the shipping receipt said that the entire set had shipped, Srixon inexplicably only built and shipped the 8 iron. One single iron. And now their website says they are sold out of the ZX7's completely so who knows when the rest of the set will be built and shipped. My head is going to explode.

Congrats to the winners here, but it is just another kick in the balls that you all got your sets built and shipped even though some of us ordered and paid money well before the initial thread announcing this whole thing even existed. 

I know it is covid, blah blah blah, and they could not foresee the demand, blah blah blah, but I am not thrilled with Srixon at the moment. I do not understand the rationale for building me one iron out of my set and sending that out and then having no timetable at all for the rest of the irons. Now I get to worry that none of the irons I get are going to match up spec-wise. 

rant over

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ai Smoke Mini 13.5 Tour AD VF 6x

Apex UW 19* DI 8x

P DHY 22* KBS C-taper lite 110
Titleist T100 5-P KBS Tour S+

PING S159 50, 55, 60h S300
Phantom X 7

Are the soles on the ZX7 wider than the 785?  Anyone have any comparison pics?  They look almost 745ish in the sole and not as narrow as the 785.  I haven't hit the ZX7 yet but I thought the 745 may have been the best ever.... after gaming the 785 a bit, for me, the narrow sole of the 785 seems to be friendlier.  Didn't think they could top one of the all time greats in the 745.

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

8 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Are the soles on the ZX7 wider than the 785?  Anyone have any comparison pics?  They look almost 745ish in the sole and not as narrow as the 785.  I haven't hit the ZX7 yet but I thought the 745 may have been the best ever.... after gaming the 785 a bit, for me, the narrow sole of the 785 seems to be friendlier.  Didn't think they could top one of the all time greats in the 745.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1777848-2021-srixon-zx5-zx7-1020-endo-forged-zx-u-irons-new-pics-added-pg-3-w-comparisons/page/3/

Edited by mjbfyb

5 minutes ago, mjbfyb said:

Thanks, found it eventually... does look like the newer model is a little thicker at the bottom... interesting.

1 hour ago, Nixhex524 said:

Here's a z945 on the right...Similar sole width but the bounce and how far the v grind digs in the Zx7 is not as pronounced. Would say it's right in between the z745 and z785 width wise.

IMG_0883.jpg.919610e2ba8db448871d8f738e377f06.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

Here's a z945 on the right...Similar sole width but the bounce and how far the v grind digs in the Zx7 is not as pronounced. Would say it's right in between the z745 and z785 width wise.

IMG_0883.jpg.919610e2ba8db448871d8f738e377f06.jpg

And the 945 looks bigger there... hmmmm.  Either way the ZX7 is really nice.

14 hours ago, halfsumo said:

Sigh, posted in the other thread. I ordered my set on 1/9 and just got my shipping notification on Saturday.  ZX5 5 iron, zx7 6-PW. Alas, although the shipping receipt said that the entire set had shipped, Srixon inexplicably only built and shipped the 8 iron. One single iron. And now their website says they are sold out of the ZX7's completely so who knows when the rest of the set will be built and shipped. My head is going to explode.

Congrats to the winners here, but it is just another kick in the balls that you all got your sets built and shipped even though some of us ordered and paid money well before the initial thread announcing this whole thing even existed. 

I know it is covid, blah blah blah, and they could not foresee the demand, blah blah blah, but I am not thrilled with Srixon at the moment. I do not understand the rationale for building me one iron out of my set and sending that out and then having no timetable at all for the rest of the irons. Now I get to worry that none of the irons I get are going to match up spec-wise. 

rant over

That sucks, and bad news for those making the jump to them for sure.

For me, good news I guess.  I had determined to wait until April when I have a chance to hit some on grass to even think about it, but must confess I had a cart loaded on Srixon's website the other night, lol.  

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 4:54 AM, j.a. said:

Congratulations to the winners and thanks for the reviews and photos. There will be a Srixon demo day at my club on next week, I look forward to testing these clubs

What do you play now, out of curiosity?  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Hopefully you can find shaft/spec setup that matches your own and compare on a LM.  

7 hours ago, Torrey4Life said:

What do you play now, out of curiosity?  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Hopefully you can find shaft/spec setup that matches your own and compare on a LM.  

I’m still playing the original Nike Covert irons 6-A but 3 to 5 are Srixon ZU that I love. I would like to see the ZX4 as well but I don’t think they would be available on next Friday, but I’ll see. Today I saw the ZX5 in the Pro Shop that reminded me this wonderful Cleveland CG16 I use to play.

Edited by j.a.

Second round (16 holes Torrey South) in the books today.  This will probably be my last post here because I don't think I'll anything new to say unless folks have questions.

Again, performance comparisons to my MP20 MMCs were reinforced.  Straighter (I also hit some Bridgestone Tour B X and it was like...the damn ball didn't want to go anywhere it didn't immediately start towards), longer, more forgiving.  

Also again, the feel is just not as good as the Mizuno sets I've had esp the MP20 MMC.  i had a couple shots today that didn't feel right but ended up nearly where I wanted them to!  I also had a couple that felt really solid but it was just not that Mizuno feel, if you've ever hit them.

They're going to stay in my bag until Summer when I generally play a lot more and I'm a lot more consistent.  Love my Mizunos but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, j.a. said:

I’m still playing the original Nike Covert irons 6-A but 3 to 5 are Srixon ZU that I love. I would like to see the ZX4 as well but I don’t think they would be available on next Friday, but I’ll see. Today I saw the ZX5 in the Pro Shop that reminded me this wonderful Cleveland CG16 I use to play.

You're gonna be suuuuper impressed with the performance.  =]

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Torrey4Life said:

Second round (16 holes Torrey South) in the books today.  This will probably be my last post here because I don't think I'll anything new to say unless folks have questions.

Again, performance comparisons to my MP20 MMCs were reinforced.  Straighter (I also hit some Bridgestone Tour B X and it was like...the damn ball didn't want to go anywhere it didn't immediately start towards), longer, more forgiving.  

Also again, the feel is just not as good as the Mizuno sets I've had esp the MP20 MMC.  i had a couple shots today that didn't feel right but ended up nearly where I wanted them to!  I also had a couple that felt really solid but it was just not that Mizuno feel, if you've ever hit them.

They're going to stay in my bag until Summer when I generally play a lot more and I'm a lot more consistent.  Love my Mizunos but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Who are you kidding, they won’t make it until then? 
I get it because of winning them...but play what you like!

Also, are you comparing MMC to ZX5 or ZX7?

7 hours ago, Brooks Cupcake said:

By scrolling half way back up the page, I can answer this for you -- Torrey4Life is testing ZX5's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

On 2/4/2021 at 1:10 PM, PureStrikes54 said:

Received the notification I was selected for this from Knudson a few days ago and was beyond excited. A HUGE THANK YOU TO GOLFWRX AND SRIXON for putting this on. Things like this so frequently, combined with a super knowledgeable and friendly userbase, and finally unparalleled insight into new equipment releases and tour truck inside info is why this is the best golf site on the internet and it's not even close. 

Golf Background

I previously played golf in 7th and 8th grade and became pretty good quickly playing with high school kids and doing well in junior tournaments a long time ago. I had always been able to hit the ball extremely far with ease even as a youngster and I ended up doing well in some junior tournaments and had some moderate success in the game. Then high school came around and being tall and athletic the football season was the same time during golf and switched to the "normal" sports in high school (basketball, football, and track) and gave up golf. However, this got me to a top 25 division 1 college for track. Upon graduating college I started seriously getting back into golf. I still had crazy speed but couldn't have been more wild off the tee. Luckily I was able to work with a coach that has refined my game and gotten me a ton of control off the tee. This took my handicap into the plus territory and I started playing amateur tournaments again the summer of 2019 and obviously that was derailed because of the pandemic in 2020. However, I've been practicing a lot and my game is still sharp and ready to attack tournaments in 2021 now that a full schedule has been announced.

Playing Style

I'm 6'3, 210 lbs with long arms and a fairly aggressive transition. About 120-125mph with driver and 100-105mph 6 iron.  Always been a very good driver of the ball, good wedge player, with long iron play being the weakest part of my game.

Current Set Make Up

So since coming back and playing seriously I've only really played 3 sets of irons. Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project x 6.5, JPX 900 Tour HS s300's, and MP69/63 combo x100 currently (standard spec off 38" 5 iron and 1 degree up). I've always loved the feel of Mizuno blades and when coming back to play seriously again wanted to get something with a decent amount of feedback to improve my strike characteristics. I absolutely love the soft feel of Mizuno's and when I heard the Zx7's were endo forged I was crazy excited. I've also loved the feel of softer irons.

Srixon Zx7 order

I went with the Srixon Zx7 in 3-PW, TI x100 Standard Length, 1 Degree Upright, Standard Loft. GP Tour Velvet +4's standard. I wanted to match the specs of my current set to get an apples to apples comparison. 

Srixon Zx7 First impressions

When the box arrived yesterday I was shocked. This was the fastest turnaround I'd ever seen for ANY golf club. Kudos to Srixon's build and  fulfilment team for this. Set arrived in a nice Srixon box and had the custom order sheet with the set. Set was more beautiful in person than even the photos do justice. You see someone with a set of these in a bag at a tournament it has a tiny bit of intimidation factor like this dude woke up feeling dangerous and is going to smoke a 5 iron from 215 over water into a par 5 to make eagle kind of vibes. Once opened I did what any WRXer would do and immediately went to the range. 

IMG_0874.jpg.3a4142df6c20a3e3ea095855ffe08876.jpgIMG_0869.jpg.006e853fbe29c40d3adb0dcbe462344e.jpg
IMG_0870.jpg.891b46f501ec5a6d549b66868edf4851.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg.79a46c57c1f9508dc33f20016205a12f.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg.19e2e5d3c63664bba5ffa00ea54b4c82.jpg
IMG_0873.jpg.49c04f3283b5ae5a2d2e1bdcf6fb4d60.jpg

Range Session:
Got to my local range and got these bad boys out of the plastic. Sick is the only word I can think to describe them. They look A LOT like the Mizuno JPX Tour line but are just BETTER LOOKING. My approach was to take each club out one at a time and hit a few with my gamer MP69/63's and then a few with the Srixon Zx7's.

Thoughts on Initial Look
Definitely a slightly thicker topline, sole, blade length, and slightly more offset you'd expect to see transitioning from a blade to a player's cavity. However in the longer irons this was "confidence inspiring". The iron frames the ball nicely and just looks "hot" vs. the MP69. It looks like you are going to pick up 5-10 yards each club.

First Swings
After hitting a few gamers and switching to the Zx7 short irons I was literally astonished at how much better the ball "jumps" off the face with these vs. the Mizunos.  A much stronger thwack and definitely a meaningful increase in ball speed.

Sound/Feel:
So Mizunos are always about as soft as you can get and especially in a blade head shape. The Zx7 almost matches Mizuno blade feel despite being a large players cavity. I would say the Zx7 is just a tiny bit more "clicky" but not in a bad way. I think the larger sole and head profile is the only reason for this. However, if you compare the Zx7 to the JPX 900 Tour it is NO CONTEST. Blows the JPX 900 tour out of the water and it's not even close on sound/feel. On the soft blade to clicky players cavity spectrum the Zx7 is WAYYYYY closer to the soft blade than players cavity. In comparing the z945 blade to the Zx7 the Zx7 I think feels better. So in those releases Srixon has figured out how to make a players cavity feel better than a previous blade offering. 

The sound is more of a soft thwack while my MP69's were more of a muted thud if that makes sense. Srixon really took their game to the next level with these being endo forged and 1020 carbon. I also think an INCREDIBLE value for what you are getting. 

Performance and Ball Flight:
Slightly higher launch and spin in the Zx7's than the Mizuno's. These are easily 1/2 to a full club longer. Slightly more draw bias due to the tungsten in the toe weighting. I play a draw so this was welcomed and anyone that struggles with wipes or right going right misses THIS IS THE CLUB FOR YOU. I would say PW through 8 Iron these performed as well as the Mizuno Blades which is shocking being a players cavity. 

Now the long irons, SRIXON HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK with the long irons. In the 3 through 7 iron these are the best long irons I've ever hit and it is not even close. EASILY a full club longer with tighter dispersion than the Mizzy's. A nice tight draw with the perfect launch and spin. These would be incredible on some of the tighter courses that host tournaments taking irons off the tee for position while still getting really nice distance. Was seeing 230-235 carry with the 4 iron vs. 220 with Mizuno and could do everything I asked and more. Stingers, super high soft landing shots, stock tight draw, baby low spin fade, etc. it just did everything.  With long irons being the weakest part of my game these are a HOME RUN with this performance pickup. I used to despise 215+ yard par 3's and now will welcome them as an opportunity to gain strokes on the field. Anyone on the fence between the Zx5's and Zx7's the Zx7's are crazy forgiving and I think can be played by a wide range of handicaps. One range session and I'm a believer. 

V sole vs. Mizzy Sole
Slightly wider and thicker sole in the Srixon's. The grass was not open at the range but am beyond excited to see how these work on the course. The V sole also makes these much more forgiving than the Mizzy's in the added bounce gives you more forgiveness. It almost seems like it's going to be tough to lose meaningful distance if you hit slightly behind the ball with these vs. the Mizzy's you're coming up 15 yards short.

Conclusion:
All in all I couldn't be any happier with the performance. Srixon hit it out of the park with this release and I think is going to go down as one of those timeless releases. The price point and value you are getting for endo forging and 1020 carbon is also ridiculous. Anyone on the fence that didn't know as much about Srixon or wouldn't normally try it absolutely needs to try these in this season's release. You really get the best of all portions of the golfing spectrum with these irons, feel/sound/workability of a blade, absolute latest and greatest forgiveness technology, probably the best looking iron in it's class, and something standing over the ball you KNOW you can just rip with confidence. 

Grass/Turf feedback:
In comparing to a Mizuno blade, the Zx7 v sole just flies through the impact zone. It feels like you don't get slowed down at all by the turf interaction while the Mizzy kind of sticks just for a split second to cut the divot. Mizzy leading edge is much sharper while Srixon feels more rounded. They are both good and the turf interaction will take some getting used to. Longer launch monitor numbers confirmed off turf as well.

IMG_0876.jpg.fb824115c05b633bc8e88edcad39348f.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg.2c4acaf781956e84a3efd4ef4432da36.jpgIMG_0877.jpg.181ced85af4e14e04e929c2e5e4f2211.jpg
IMG_0879.jpg.7c24d732151c2ac84e81a79468ad5735.jpg

9 Iron Comparison Pic to MP69
IMG_0880.jpg.b5aca3c5818c76fff9da82ebcf259d1b.jpg

6 Iron Comparison Pic to z945 6 Iron.
I had a z945 6 iron fitting club laying around from when Golfsmith closed and they were offloading all remaining store items.
IMG_0882.jpg.0ccd575a8511f339189677aabbce7d58.jpg

Zx7 6 iron on left and z945 on the right sole comparison
IMG_0883.jpg.3350b368afc03f47a25dfc0dd1dbf622.jpg

Question... wouldn't tungsten in the toe promote a fade?

37 minutes ago, klbcec said:

that’s a good question and above my launch monitor knowledge paygrade. I had heard it from someone that worked at a major oem that also had tungsten in their irons being “easier to draw”. It may not actually be the tungsten but how the iron is designed or how the additional weight affects Moi, but these had a noticeable draw bias at least for my swing and also noted in Torrey’s review. 

19 hours ago, Brooks Cupcake said:

Who are you kidding, they won’t make it until then? 
I get it because of winning them...but play what you like!

Apologies - I'm not quite sure what you're asking, can you clarify?  I was saying, based on initial results the ZX5 will replace my MP20 MMP s as my gamer irons for a few months for testing purposes, as results to date indicate that I really should do that..

Edited by Torrey4Life

On 2/12/2021 at 11:26 PM, Torrey4Life said:

Now having exposure to the ZX5 and MMC, do you have any longing to test the ZX7?  I have hit all and in my mind, The MMC and ZX7 would be where my decision would have to be made from at least 7i - PW.  I would think the feel, sole size, and playability of the MC and ZX7 would be a more in line with one another, and the ZX5 closer to an HMB, if anything Mizuno?

In the feel department, I would rate the ZX7 first, followed by the MMC, and then the ZX5...FWIW.

Edited by rxk9fan

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

9 hours ago, klbcec said:

I’m not a engineer but I’m going to have a crack at this.

The tungsten does 2 things.

1. Moves the COG away from the hosel and closer to the middle of the face

2. Works in conjunction with offset to promote face closure. I think this is where the draw bias might come from

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX