Does a lightweight low spin iron shaft exist?

JermWRX

Looking to reshaft my irons. I’m wondering if any of you shaft geniuses have recommendations. I’m hoping for something lightweight and low spin. Not sure if that’s possible but I figured if anyone knew it’d be you guys. Right now I’m playing Modus 105x. They ballon and spin too much. Would rather a lower fight. Not sure if I’m looking for a unicorn or not, but it’s worth a shot😅 Thanks!!

I have KBS Tour V-110-S in another set of irons.  Firm overall shaft, and low spin tip section.  But X flex is 120g. 

The only other options are change club heads, or change your ball striking.
Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Light weight and low spin don't generally match up when it comes to irons shafts unless you are looking at graphite because of the homogeneous nature of steel. Light weight steel is way more flexible than graphite shafts at the same weight when compared flex to flex ( although that is never quite exact )

Also when it comes to spin and height, iron head design plays a MASSIVE factor based on sole width, and CoG location relative to the shaft and offset - a shaft is only going to play a minimal role in spin compared to player dynamics and club head design.

If you are looking for a lower spin shaft I would suggest checking out some graphite options, but overall I would suggest a whole new combo.

The shafts I would suggest would be:

Fujikura pro Tour Spec
Accra iSeries Tour
Catalyst
Proto Recoil

Aerotech

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RyanBarathWRX said:

Light weight and low spin don't generally match up when it comes to irons shafts unless you are looking at graphite because of the homogeneous nature of steel. Light weight steel is way more flexible than graphite shafts at the same weight when compared flex to flex ( although that is never quite exact )

Also when it comes to spin and height, iron head design plays a MASSIVE factor based on sole width, and CoG location relative to the shaft and offset - a shaft is only going to play a minimal role in spin compared to player dynamics and club head design.

If you are looking for a lower spin shaft I would suggest checking out some graphite options, but overall I would suggest a whole new combo.

The shafts I would suggest would be:

Fujikura pro Tour Spec
Accra iSeries Tour
Catalyst
Proto Recoil

Aerotech

That’s what I was worried about. Bummer. I just bought these. I’ve only hit them twice in a simulator. I “fitted” myself because of COVID and massive Ping shipping delays. Found a new set on eBay. So I’m in for a grand. My loss. I guess I could try sell them🙄

22 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:
I have KBS Tour V-110-S in another set of irons.  Firm overall shaft, and low spin tip section.  But X flex is 120g. 

The only other options are change club heads, or change your ball striking.

I was looking at those shafts. Thought maybe they would help. I’m fine with Stiff. Doesn’t need to be X. Maybe I’ll look for some and try that before dumping a new set of irons at a loss. Thanks!

Just now, JermWRX said:

I was looking at those shafts. Thought maybe they would help. I’m fine with Stiff. Doesn’t need to be X. Maybe I’ll look for some and try that before dumping a new set of irons at a loss. Thanks!

They are fine shafts and about as low spin as you can get in steel without going to heavier or graphite shafts.  I recently went from PX 6.0 which are low spin, to 5.5 still low spin to my current really lite - 2i=90g-PW=108g Tensei AV White AM(2) "S" which are low spin.  Another low spin shaft is Aerotech Steelfiber = either i95cw "S" or i110cw "S", which I have.

• Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Alan Pllu said:

What ball are you playing? Could your problem maybe be helped by going to a lower spinning ball? 

Agree - ball choice would have more of an impact than a shaft change. Try the Taylormade TP5x - mega low spinning off the tee and irons for a tour ball - the ball alone saved my game from a high ballooning ball flight 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JermWRX said:

Looking to reshaft my irons. I’m wondering if any of you shaft geniuses have recommendations. I’m hoping for something lightweight and low spin. Not sure if that’s possible but I figured if anyone knew it’d be you guys. Right now I’m playing Modus 105x. They ballon and spin too much. Would rather a lower fight. Not sure if I’m looking for a unicorn or not, but it’s worth a shot😅 Thanks!!

Trying to chase launch/spin numbers with a shaft profile change can frequently be a wild goose chase.   If you need to tweak the launch and spin down it's much more effective (and cheaper) to just have the lofts strengthened.

That being said, what shafts were you playing before this set?   While stiffness profile isn't a good way to tweak launch and spin, the shaft weight (and swing weight) can potentially have a large influence on the delivery of the club and the dynamic loft you get.   Were you properly fit for those shafts?  or more specifically that shaft weight?    Were you ever fit for swing weight?    You might want to take some time on the range with some lead tape and play around with testing different shaft weights and head weights and see what happens to the ball flight.  Wrap the tape around the shaft about 3-5" below the grip and that will simulate a heavier shaft.   Add it in 5-10 gm increments.       After you've found the best feel and performance for the shaft weight then you can play around by adding it to the head in 2 gm increments to test out different swing weights.

3 hours ago, Alan Pllu said:

What ball are you playing? Could your problem maybe be helped by going to a lower spinning ball? 

ChromeSoft. I’d be happy to try a ball change. Switched between ChromeSoft and V1 last season. Someone on here recommended the left dash V1x. I’m gonna order a dozen and try them out

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

Trying to chase launch/spin numbers with a shaft profile change can frequently be a wild goose chase.   If you need to tweak the launch and spin down it's much more effective (and cheaper) to just have the lofts strengthened.

That being said, what shafts were you playing before this set?   While stiffness profile isn't a good way to tweak launch and spin, the shaft weight (and swing weight) can potentially have a large influence on the delivery of the club and the dynamic loft you get.   Were you properly fit for those shafts?  or more specifically that shaft weight?    Were you ever fit for swing weight?    You might want to take some time on the range with some lead tape and play around with testing different shaft weights and head weights and see what happens to the ball flight.  Wrap the tape around the shaft about 3-5" below the grip and that will simulate a heavier shaft.   Add it in 5-10 gm increments.       After you've found the best feel and performance for the shaft weight then you can play around by adding it to the head in 2 gm increments to test out different swing weights.

Last set of irons I got was 3 years ago and I was fit into AWT S. This time I kind of fit myself due to COVID and the fact that Ping was 3-4 months behind on shipping. So I found a mint set of G710 on eBay and sent them in to Ping to be loft/lie adjusted for me. I wanted to try a stiffer profile because I thought maybe it would tighten dispersion. But I was wrong lol. Granted I’ve only hit them in a simulator twice since I got them. They just seem to be flying to the moon, though. I didn’t want to get a heavy (130’s) shaft because I was afraid of losing distance and getting tired through a round. So the Modus fit what I thought I was looking for. But now I basically think I was wrong from the start and I’ve totally screwed everything up🤦🏻‍♂️. I’ll definitely try the lead tape thing at my next session. I didn’t know you could do that to a shaft. I’ve only used it on heads. Thanks!! I’d rather not have to dump these clubs for a big loss if possible. Included a pic of the  loft specs from my order through Ping6C5F494D-B53B-4905-BD69-5FC8A2943059.jpeg.ea971d2e6c2f39d41a504fb9b10a6c26.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

I played the i95 steelfiber stiffs last year and for me they were definitely among the lower launching and lower spinning iron shafts I have ever played.

Was this your first time with graphite in your irons? I’ve thought of those shafts but was concerned if they’d be “whippy”. Especially in wedges. I would certainly be interested in trying them, though

44 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

Was this your first time with graphite in your irons? I’ve thought of those shafts but was concerned if they’d be “whippy”. Especially in wedges. I would certainly be interested in trying them, though

No one has ever complained about the steelfiber i-series as being whippy.    Most either love them or think they are too stiff. They are easily as stiff or stiffer than the much heavier DG, c-tapers and PX's so they are one the stiffest tipped (lowest launching) shafts available in both steel and graphite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JermWRX said:

Second time. The first time I found them to be too light but that was a number or years and older tech ago. I did not find the Aerotech's i95's to be whippy at all. To the contrary they actually felt a bit on the stiff side. I would equate the feel to me to be somewhere between a dynamic gold S300 and an R300. Of course that was only my individual perception of them!

So I am curious (and forgive me if I missed it) but why are you wanting to change to a lighter shaft?

Edited by Dpavs
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bnperrone said:

I tend to fight spin and I've been happy with C-Taper Lite in X. 115g for that flex. 

Bingo.  That was my recommendation for a lighter, low spinning iron shaft. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

6 hours ago, JermWRX said:

ChromeSoft. I’d be happy to try a ball change. Switched between ChromeSoft and V1 last season. Someone on here recommended the left dash V1x. I’m gonna order a dozen and try them out

I would have a go at tp5x then, I have been playing them the last 2 years and have actually switched ball this year because I was finding them too low spin for me and it was almost like I was getting fliers. I had to increase my lofts on my irons a little to try and get spin in a manageable area with them. 

• Like 1