I would appreciate your feedback on my PXG fitting

MCR

I'm new to the forum. I would appreciate your feedback on my fitting at PXG in Scottsdale. I was fit into the Gen 3 03311P with the True Temper Elevate Tour stiff shaft and was fit into 1/2" longer than standard.  That shaft showed great numbers so there was no need to get an upgraded shaft. My previous Mizuno irons I was playing with KBS Tour 120 stiff and standard length. When I got my clubs I played twice with them and went to the range a couple times. I really like the look and soft feel of the clubs. The only thing I did not like was I felt like the swing weight was heavy. I know some people say you can't feel a couple swing weight difference but I can. Call it feel or whatever but I just felt like I would love the club with a little lower swing weight. I went back and paid my $50 to see what they thought. The swing weight was D4 when they checked. He probably checked my 7 iron. He picked up one of the wedges put it on the scale and it scaled D6.  I was told that they weigh each head and get it to a certain gram wight and they install the shaft whether it is standard length or longer than standard. I was told that when I hit them in the fitting bay that that is what I should expect when I get my clubs in terms of feel. I thought that club manufacturers have a standard swing weight that they try to hit say D2 or whatever they chose as their standard swing weight. I thought since they have all the weights in the head they would adjust the weights accordingly for 1/2" over standard length shafts and it would not come out at a higher swing weight than a standard length club. After talking to the guy a little he didn't have an answer and said he would get back with me after he talked to someone above him. I could just tell I wasn't going to get anywhere so I just turned them in and paid the 15% restocking fee. He said that was probably a good idea. This was a couple weeks ago. I took my son yesterday to the Mesa PXG location and Ty was awesome. I got him Gen 2 irons, proto driver and 3 wood and proto hybrid. I really like PXG but I just want your thoughts on my experience.

Thanks

From your description, it sounds like SW wasn't part of the fit. Not the first time I have heard that. Very box storeish. Find a head, find a shaft, maybe a lie board and you are good to go. 

I'm not sure why you paid $50 to see what they thought. You already paid a chunk of money for a fitting and the clubs right? A good fitter should take a second look at the clubs without issue and make sure you are happy with the purchase. Ultimately, the shafts are not abnormally heavy, so the extra weight is simply from the added length. In that case you would order lighter heads if possible, or add weight to the butt of the club. Seems like a heavier grip, or some tape under there, you could have reach D2 or D3 easily, and then let you try them again. If you felt the weight was correct, you might have been more apt to work through whatever kind of adjustment pains there might have been with the new clubs, and everybody would have won. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

2 hours ago, MCR said:

I'm new to the forum. I would appreciate your feedback on my fitting at PXG in Scottsdale. I was fit into the Gen 3 03311P with the True Temper Elevate Tour stiff shaft and was fit into 1/2" longer than standard.  That shaft showed great numbers so there was no need to get an upgraded shaft. My previous Mizuno irons I was playing with KBS Tour 120 stiff and standard length. When I got my clubs I played twice with them and went to the range a couple times. I really like the look and soft feel of the clubs. The only thing I did not like was I felt like the swing weight was heavy. I know some people say you can't feel a couple swing weight difference but I can. Call it feel or whatever but I just felt like I would love the club with a little lower swing weight. I went back and paid my $50 to see what they thought. The swing weight was D4 when they checked. He probably checked my 7 iron. He picked up one of the wedges put it on the scale and it scaled D6.  I was told that they weigh each head and get it to a certain gram wight and they install the shaft whether it is standard length or longer than standard. I was told that when I hit them in the fitting bay that that is what I should expect when I get my clubs in terms of feel. I thought that club manufacturers have a standard swing weight that they try to hit say D2 or whatever they chose as their standard swing weight. I thought since they have all the weights in the head they would adjust the weights accordingly for 1/2" over standard length shafts and it would not come out at a higher swing weight than a standard length club. After talking to the guy a little he didn't have an answer and said he would get back with me after he talked to someone above him. I could just tell I wasn't going to get anywhere so I just turned them in and paid the 15% restocking fee. He said that was probably a good idea. This was a couple weeks ago. I took my son yesterday to the Mesa PXG location and Ty was awesome. I got him Gen 2 irons, proto driver and 3 wood and proto hybrid. I really like PXG but I just want your thoughts on my experience.

Thanks

All I can say is Tyler is awesome. He is my guy from now on. Fit me into Gen4 irons and a Proto 5 wood. Dude knows his stuff. 

I’ll add you should have received a free spec check if you still had the  irons you purchased. Not all

their fitters are the same. I have been fit 3 times at Scottsdale and 2 times in Mesa. Tyler was much better than the other guys. 

Edited by OspreyCI

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just to be clear. I went online and paid the $50 for their spec check 30 minute check. I'll bet if I had gone in and just talked to them about it and not paid the fee online they probably would have done it for free. I don't want to sound like I am bashing them in any way. I am just trying to learn from my experience and get the feedback of people a lot more in tune with club building than I am. I'll be going to see Tyler for a Driver fitting. I've been using the Ping G400 max driver, 3 and 5 wood since they came out and I really like them but would like to compare and see if I get any better numbers with the PXG.

I just lost close to $200 on a restocking fee with PXG.....NEVER get fitted when you cannot hit off actual turf....especially if you have a steep delivery.  I will not bore you with the gory details.  Anyway, to your subject....a buddy of mine just bought the 0311T gen 2's and had them shortened 1/2 inch....they arrived and they are all C7's...the PXG fitter put him in Stiffs, which amazed me almost as much as letting him purchase Tour blades....this guy can only break 100 on a good day....I can only imagine how boardy those irons must feel to him.  I called PXG for him, and the guy told me that ONLY Gen3's can have the weight adjusted, and that had he ordered them 1/2 long they would have been close to D5....are you kidding me???  I bet if you order Gen 3 irons 1/2 inch shorter or longer they probably will still do nothing about adjusting them unless you bring it up....total joke!!!

I talked to a Dallas area club fitter who all the area pros seem to gravitate to....he said told me that PXG makes great irons, but that their Quality Department is hands down the worst in the business....he says that he is forever correcting their mistakes for customers of his.

Edited by Joe Mannix

So did you get fit at the actual pxg center? If so this is stunning to me. Either way.... this is the 4th or 5th and probably millionth horror story about a fitting gone wrong and i had my own bad experience as well. Its beginning to seem like self diagnosing your own club needs is the way to go. With a little research and testing i belive you can come out with a better outcome then these soo called all knowing fitters. Im not saying they are allll bad or clueless but most fitters just seem to not really care much other then your dollar and move on to the next dude. My fitter apparently didn't care if i hated the shaft he ended up picking for me or the fact that i also thought they felt heavy and bordy.... so i did my own research and ended up with shafts i like and get the job done like i needed. Its hilarious they also think hitting off a matt is going to be anything like real grass. A matt bounes the club off the ground into the ball.. where real grass if you chunk a little before the ball and depending on the ground softness... you can get different outcomes.

Yes, I got fit at the PXG center in Scottsdale. I was pretty surprised at the D4 swing weight in the irons and the D6 in whatever wedge they checked. Maybe some guys don't care but I would appreciate knowing that the swing weight was going to come out that high with the 1/2" longer than standard shafts. And yes, I didn't really like eating the $270 restocking fee for the irons and wedges. I will certainly ask more questions the next time I get fit.

Just convinced me that PXG too expensive all the way around - original clubs that don’t fit, money to burn on checking what was ordered then restocking fee and no irons. And then bought more PXGs. 

How do you get fit for irons and not know what the SW will be? Totally on them when they arrive if it’s not what you wanted/got fit for. If SW wasn’t adjusted for with added length then on them also. 

• Like 3

While I understand your disappointment, I would try again.

Take your time with the fitter, explain your concerns,

Give them another chance to get the best fit for your equipment.

I am sure you will get the set and the performance that you seek.

Ask questions, and be involved in this process.

I believe you will benefit the most .

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

2 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Just convinced me that PXG too expensive all the way around - original clubs that don’t fit, money to burn on checking what was ordered then restocking fee and no irons. And then bought more PXGs. 

How do you get fit for irons and not know what the SW will be? Totally on them when they arrive if it’s not what you wanted/got fit for. If SW wasn’t adjusted for with added length then on them also. 

Totally agree. Why go back after the first debacle? A "restocking " fee to return something  they specified and built incompetently? All whilst paying a premium.

Not for me. 

Edited by Londoner
  • Like 3

They don’t swingweight their builds. It’s been discussed multiple times, and if you call them, they will tell you the screws are just cosmetic, which defeats the whole purpose to begin with. 
They seem to have addressed this with the gen4 stuff, all of the early indications are that they are touting it as adjustability. But weather they actually hit what you were fit for, or ask for on your build remains to be seen.