Tim Tebow Signing With the Jags… To play TE!

TiScape

6 hours ago, GHIN n Juice said:

Even you have to admit it is a little perplexing how someone like Tebow can continue to pretend to be a “professional athlete” in not one, but 2 sports, while a “modern quarterback” who took his team to the Super Bowl can’t even get a sniff in the league as a backup.

I think it is a bit harsh to say Tim Tebow pretended to be a “professional athlete” in either the NFL or MiLB.  He had success in both sports as a professional.  While the success may have been fleeting it is more than a lot of people can say they've had.  One thing that statistics cannot measure is heart.  Tim Tebow has plenty of heart.

By the way, I was at this playoff game that you claim be pretended to be a professional athlete in.  Well I am here to tell you the Steelers dared Tebow to beat them with his passing and he did.  Of course Demaryius Thomas did a lot on this play as well.

Tim Tebow, Broncos stun Steelers in OT, win 29-23 in NFL playoffs - The Denver Post

Watch: Tebow's OT touchdown pass to Thomas - CBS News

6 years ago today, Tim Tebow threw an 80 yard TD pass to Demaryius Thomas to beat the Steelers ...

image.jpeg.a378bee0e0f5f40256c6f74402251546.jpeg

Before the game a couple seated in front of my wife and myself were giving each other some good natured grief about each other's team.  We made a bet that if the opposing team won the loser of the bet would have to take a picture wearing the hat of the winning team.  Here are before and after pictures of my newfound buddy Ray.  What a great sport and terrific guy.

image.jpeg.b7f965bca5d32520dfa5bbfc2d7af7aa.jpeg

image.jpeg.1f1b6664fd629c17f78cbc865061629e.jpeg

At least in that moment Tim Tebow was a very good NFL quarterback and that playoff win is something nobody can ever take away.

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

2 hours ago, tatertot said:

You realize Colin was 3-16 his last 2 years in San Francisco, right? 

Indeed. Once NFL D coordinators  figured out his weaknesses and game planned for him, he was toast. Like a hitter that comes on like gang busters in the MLB and all the sudden you never hear about them again. These professional coaches are really good at what they do and if a player has a weakness they will find and exploit it. 

Edited by TiScape

18 hours ago, GHIN n Juice said:

Except he can’t run, throw, or catch like Hill.  Rides the bench like him though!

I don't know about that. The throw part is a problem but he can throw a jump pass, do some creative wildcat stuff. He also had 53 rushing TDs in the SEC, 2 Nattys and a Heisman. Why not do it? Good commercial move and he's versatile. He can throw a football reasonably well.

Edited by shoot4par

Make no mistake here, Urban and the Jags aren't bringing Tebow in to get a lot of playing time (or any at all).  Urban is bringing Tebow in to be a leader in the locker room and to be someone who can be an example of Urban's culture on a daily basis.  Tebow knows what is Urban is about and he knows Urban's expectations.  Urban trust Tebow implicitly and knows the value of having a guy like that on the roster can do in establishing his culture.  

At least that's what I think is likely happening.  The other aspect of this is that Urban has 'his guys' and he does whatever he can to help 'his guys' out.  He's loyal to the point where it becomes a problem (i.e. Zach Smith, keeping Billy Davis employed at tOSU, hiring his new DC who has all kinds of background issues, sticking with JT Barrett for 4 years even though Haskins was better, etc.).  Tebow is basically Urban's second son so this could all be him just giving Tebow the chance he feels Tebow deserves. 

Either way, it's a low risk move for Urban and the Jags.  One which creates headlines/energy and potentially has some real rewards in terms of establishing a new culture (Urban's culture) in Jax.  One the field, however, I don't anticipate Tebow being anything more than depth piece playing a few snaps (if any) a game.    

Edited by SilverBullets
  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

8 hours ago, GHIN n Juice said:

Tebow may be a class act, but at 33 with no experience at the position they're letting him TRY to play…does he really DESERVE it?  It he really worth a shot?  He’s just a pretender getting paid to satisfy the home town crowd.  And that’s fine, as the league is a business, but don’t think for a second he worth anything from a football perspective.

Its their money...NO?

7 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I think it is a bit harsh to say Tim Tebow pretended to be a “professional athlete” in either the NFL or MiLB.  He had success in both sports as a professional.  While the success may have been fleeting it is more than a lot of people can say they've had.  One thing that statistics cannot measure is heart.  Tim Tebow has plenty of heart.

By the way, I was at this playoff game that you claim be pretended to be a professional athlete in.  Well I am here to tell you the Steelers dared Tebow to beat them with his passing and he did.  Of course Demaryius Thomas did a lot on this play as well.

Tim Tebow, Broncos stun Steelers in OT, win 29-23 in NFL playoffs - The Denver Post

Watch: Tebow's OT touchdown pass to Thomas - CBS News

6 years ago today, Tim Tebow threw an 80 yard TD pass to Demaryius Thomas to beat the Steelers ...

image.jpeg.a378bee0e0f5f40256c6f74402251546.jpeg

Before the game a couple seated in front of my wife and myself were giving each other some good natured grief about each other's team.  We made a bet that if the opposing team won the loser of the bet would have to take a picture wearing the hat of the winning team.  Here are before and after pictures of my newfound buddy Ray.  What a great sport and terrific guy.

image.jpeg.b7f965bca5d32520dfa5bbfc2d7af7aa.jpeg

image.jpeg.1f1b6664fd629c17f78cbc865061629e.jpeg

At least in that moment Tim Tebow was a very good NFL quarterback and that playoff win is something nobody can ever take away.

That is all well and good and sounds like a good time but keep in mind that the team Tebow beat that day had possibly the worse head coach to ever straddle a side line.

Edited by wobgon

At least he's playing him at Tight End and not going full blown Steve Spurrier starting Danny Wuerfel on the Skins mode

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, wobgon said:

That is all well and good and sounds like a good time but keep in mind that the team Tebow beat that day had possible the worse head coach to ever straddle a side line.

While that may be true, may not be, Tebow had a moment or two where he was a decent NFL QB.  However, those moments were fleeting.  Had he chose the TE route back in 2012 he quite possibly would have had a nice career as one.  I certainly would not count him out.  Nobody will work harder to accomplish this than Tebow. And he's a class act.   Lin definitely pulling for him.  

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

4 hours ago, SilverBullets said:

Make no mistake here, Urban and the Jags aren't bringing Tebow in to get a lot of playing time (or any at all).  Urban is bringing Tebow in to be a leader in the locker room and to be someone who can be an example of Urban's culture on a daily basis.  Tebow knows what is Urban is about and he knows Urban's expectations.  Urban trust Tebow implicitly and knows the value of having a guy like that on the roster can do in establishing his culture.  

At least that's what I think is likely happening.  The other aspect of this is that Urban has 'his guys' and he does whatever he can to help 'his guys' out.  He's loyal to the point where it becomes a problem (i.e. Zach Smith, keeping Billy Davis employed at tOSU, hiring his new DC who has all kinds of background issues, sticking with JT Barrett for 4 years even though Haskins was better, etc.).  Tebow is basically Urban's second son so this could all be him just giving Tebow the chance he feels Tebow deserves. 

Either way, it's a low risk move for Urban and the Jags.  One which creates headlines/energy and potentially has some real rewards in terms of establishing a new culture (Urban's culture) in Jax.  One the field, however, I don't anticipate Tebow being anything more than depth piece playing a few snaps (if any) a game.    

I hope so. Cultural attaché is fine.

But getting out there at 33 in a position you never played and where you’re gonna get your head handed to you by some of the most capable violent people on the planet may not be a wise move. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2021 at 7:14 PM, bscinstnct said:

I hope so. Cultural attaché is fine.

But getting out there at 33 in a position you never played and where you’re gonna get your head handed to you by some of the most capable violent people on the planet may not be a wise move. 

Well I heard they really wanted Bryson but he said he was content with golf at the moment. And Brooks’ knee issues kept him from accepting. So naturally Tim was next in line! 😂 

• Haha 1

I feel like some people think this is akin to CM Punk taking up mixed martial arts after doing nothing but professional wrestling.

Tim Tebow is 33 and has been out of it, but is literally one of the greatest college players ever , and won a NFL playoff game as a starting QB. We saw this past year with Kendall Hinton just how bad you can look at QB if you're REALLY out of place

Tebow may not do much at tight end, but I doubt he'll step on the field and be like "omg, who knew there were such strong and fast men in the league! This isn't for me!"

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

I feel like some people think this is akin to CM Punk taking up mixed martial arts after doing nothing but professional wrestling.

Tim Tebow is 33 and has been out of it, but is literally one of the greatest college players ever , and won a NFL playoff game as a starting QB. We saw this past year with Kendall Hinton just how bad you can look at QB if you're REALLY out of place

Tebow may not do much at tight end, but I doubt he'll step on the field and be like "omg, who knew there were such strong and fast men in the league! This isn't for me!"

Sure he knows.  

But is like a guy who wasn’t good enough in college to play guard in the NBA

Then at 33 he go try play center in the pros. 

He gonna get nonstop facial dunked on!

1 minute ago, bscinstnct said:

Sure he knows.  

But is like a guy who wasn’t good enough in college to play guard in the NBA

Then at 33 he go try play center in the pros. 

He gonna get nonstop facial dunked on!

I can't imagine he will be any good in terms of being like a contributing NFL Tight end. But as others have said he'll probably be great in the locker room, come on for some trick plays here and there, and be a good mentor to Trevor Lawrence from a work ethic perspective.

What i meant is i don't think he'll look tremendously out of place. If you took Tebow off his jersey he'd probably look like any other 3rd string tight end

Like, when Punk did MMA, the second guy he fought i think yawned a few times during the match. Tebow won't be on that level of out of placeness.

It's too bad he didn't do this coming out of college. He never was going to be starting QB. Maybe he could've had a nice career as a TE. Eric Crouch was another guy who always wanted to be a QB and it was just hopeless, he came up to MTL to try to play for the Alouettes, couldn't play QB in the CFL either. That guy ran like a 10.4 in the 100M....Imagine if he had been willing to do other things

Antwan Randle El was one of the few who really committed, and had a nice career. You could say Julian Edelman too but he was never a big name QB

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

44 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I can't imagine he will be any good in terms of being like a contributing NFL Tight end. But as others have said he'll probably be great in the locker room, come on for some trick plays here and there, and be a good mentor to Trevor Lawrence from a work ethic perspective.

What i meant is i don't think he'll look tremendously out of place. If you took Tebow off his jersey he'd probably look like any other 3rd string tight end

Like, when Punk did MMA, the second guy he fought i think yawned a few times during the match. Tebow won't be on that level of out of placeness.

It's too bad he didn't do this coming out of college. He never was going to be starting QB. Maybe he could've had a nice career as a TE. Eric Crouch was another guy who always wanted to be a QB and it was just hopeless, he came up to MTL to try to play for the Alouettes, couldn't play QB in the CFL either. That guy ran like a 10.4 in the 100M....Imagine if he had been willing to do other things

Antwan Randle El was one of the few who really committed, and had a nice career. You could say Julian Edelman too but he was never a big name QB

Ill root for him to make a go of it.

Im just thinkin of all the fantastic TEs who played their whole lives and in big time college and even got drafted as TEs...

And couldn’t make it. 

On 5/16/2021 at 2:32 PM, bscinstnct said:

Ill root for him to make a go of it.

Im just thinkin of all the fantastic TEs who played their whole lives and in big time college and even got drafted as TEs...

And couldn’t make it. 

Or even the guys who did make it and had productive NFL careers. Most are done long before 34.

14 hours ago, cdnglf said:

Or even the guys who did make it and had productive NFL careers. Most are done long before 34.

Absolutely. NFL=NotForLong
Tebow at 33 has a lot more tread left on the tires than a 33/34yo NFL vet. He’s maintained phenomenal conditioning since he last played. He’s definitely not 23yo, but also far from your typical 33yo. 

35 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Absolutely. NFL=NotForLong
Tebow at 33 has a lot more tread left on the tires than a 33/34yo NFL vet. He’s maintained phenomenal conditioning since he last played. He’s definitely not 23yo, but also far from your typical 33yo. 

Triple A baseball outfielder shape is a little different than NFL tight end shape.  Let’s see how he feels after blocking (or attempting to block) DEs 10 years his junior, in full pads, after a few weeks.  

38 minutes ago, GHIN n Juice said:

Triple A baseball outfielder shape is a little different than NFL tight end shape.  Let’s see how he feels after blocking (or attempting to block) DEs 10 years his junior, in full pads, after a few weeks.  

No doubt. He was/is in different shape than your average AAA outfielder! 

Kelce is 31. Gronk is 32. I don’t think age is the main talking point in this case. 

Edited by TiScape

19 minutes ago, TiScape said:

No doubt. He was/is in different shape than your average AAA outfielder! 

Kelce is 31. Gronk is 32. I don’t think age is the main talking point in this case. 

Absence of NFL-level ability at any time in his life is the main talking point! 😉

On his very best day Tebow wasn't the physical equal of Gronk now, much less the Gronk of 5 years ago.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cdnglf said:

Absence of NFL-level ability at any time in his life is the main talking point! 😉

On his very best day Tebow wasn't the physical equal of Gronk now, much less the Gronk of 5 years ago.

Perhaps, but easily more than the physical equal of Kittle. And I’d even say Kelce. 

Edited by TiScape

58 minutes ago, cdnglf said:

That “winky” denotes sarcasm right?! 😂 That’s a bold statement. 

Perhaps not NFL QB level ability. But as a few others have said, I’d bet if he focused on another position like TE right out of college, it could have been a different story. But hey, we’ll never know what would have happened then so… 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, TiScape said:

That “winky” denotes sarcasm right?! 😂 That’s a bold statement. 

Perhaps not NFL QB level ability. But as a few others have said, I’d bet if he focused on another position like TE right out of college, it could have been a different story. But hey, we’ll never know what would have happened then so… 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Definitely not NFL QB level ability.

TE? We'll never know for sure, but he's small for an NFL TE, was "QB fast" (but not receiver fast), and who knows whether he can catch...