Are you glad golf is not the easiest game in the world?

Barfolomew

On 5/27/2021 at 2:12 PM, betarhoalphadelta said:

If I wanted an easier game I'd play disc golf.

Always fun to see people (who are not professionals) brag about "I shot -11 today!"

Yeah, good for you, and I'm an all-star when it comes to wiffle ball. 

LMAO I used to agree. I have a co-worker he plays the professional tournaments in the area. Dude is a straight beast on the disc golf course. I certainly appreciate the talent at the higher tier of play like most any sport. 

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

1 hour ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

LMAO I used to agree. I have a co-worker he plays the professional tournaments in the area. Dude is a straight beast on the disc golf course. I certainly appreciate the talent at the higher tier of play like most any sport. 

Oh, no doubt there's skill involved. And yeah, pretty much any sport can have a high degree of competition. They play Table Tennis in the Olympics!

Disc golf is just like ball golf in the sense that unless you get around the course with a score of 18, you can ALWAYS be better. Although I've never played it, I have nothing against disc golf. 

I just find their "par" ridiculous when you compare it to ball golf. Average joes shoot scores relative to par that would smash course records in ball golf. You don't have to be an expert disc golfer to shoot par or better.

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Oh, no doubt there's skill involved. And yeah, pretty much any sport can have a high degree of competition. They play Table Tennis in the Olympics!

Disc golf is just like ball golf in the sense that unless you get around the course with a score of 18, you can ALWAYS be better. Although I've never played it, I have nothing against disc golf. 

I just find their "par" ridiculous when you compare it to ball golf. Average joes shoot scores relative to par that would smash course records in ball golf. You don't have to be an expert disc golfer to shoot par or better.

Years ago I had booked a camping trip that happened to have a disc golf course. I went to Play it Again and got a driver, mid iron, and putter to try out. Turned out to be a tournament on Sunday. I played a few rounds Friday and Saturday and the folks all thought I was some sort of crazy expert playing with 3 discs and crushing par. 🤣

All weekend I kept saying "if you think this is easy, you should try real golf." I still have my 3 discs and have played a few times since. It's free, so that's nice.

• Sad 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 5/27/2021 at 4:12 PM, betarhoalphadelta said:

If I wanted an easier game I'd play disc golf.

Always fun to see people (who are not professionals) brag about "I shot -11 today!"

19 hours ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

18 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

15 hours ago, lefthack said:

Years ago I had booked a camping trip that happened to have a disc golf course. I went to Play it Again and got a driver, mid iron, and putter to try out. Turned out to be a tournament on Sunday. I played a few rounds Friday and Saturday and the folks all thought I was some sort of crazy expert playing with 3 discs and crushing par. 🤣

All weekend I kept saying "if you think this is easy, you should try real golf." I still have my 3 discs and have played a few times since. It's free, so that's nice.

I live in an area that is a hotbed for disc golf.  Pro tournament stop every year and numerous other events throughout the year.  Multiple, multiple leagues.  I even played in a few tournaments 10-15 years ago.

I play disc golf because my friends do and it is free to play in most cases.  Straight out of school I still had a baseball build and could just throw farther than everyone else.  When we started having kids we all sort of quit for 8-10 years.  Just last year got back into it a bit now that our kids are old enough to play with us.

Interestingly, it mirrors ball golf.  The old courses we played are push-overs from a distance standpoint.  They are what they call "technical courses" now.  The newer-built courses are long and difficult and designed with these pro events in mind.  You can't score well if you aren't driving it 350 feet or more on those courses and then that is no easy feat.  Just like how we (or at least I) marvel at the distance that Rory can hit the golf ball no bigger than he is, I get a kick out of these smaller guys throwing the crap out of disc.  It is definitely technique and those guys have put in the time to get the technique down to get the most out of the disc. 

Truthfully, there is a lot more nuance and shot making in disc golf than ball golf as much as I hate to say it.  It would sort of being like playing ball golf with 25-30 clubs, some right handed and some left handed, a few different types of balls you could switch out through the hole and maybe a lacrosse stick and tennis racket as well.

Most of the pros are automatic putters too.  And I would say luck plays much more a part of disc golf as well.  The disc can roll behind a tree or hit a root or rock and bounce right up near the basket.  A perfect shot can hit the chains and rattle out.  An imperfect shot can be an absolute disaster or go in just as easily if it nicks a branch or gets hit by a gust.  More swing in outcomes.

It's a super game in that it allows parks to use the far corners of property that were previously unused.  If the goal is to get more use out of the existing land a disc golf course fits the bill.  It really doesn't matter how rough the ground is or how wooded and wooly.  If you put some baskets in there the underbrush will get beat down in time and will play well.

• Like 1

The course at Stub Stewart is deep in the woods and losing your disc is a strong possibly. The first hole at Hoodoo ski resort is a death drop from the top of you miss left. I get the draw for some, but I could never carry 14 discs, that's just silly. 🤣

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Another thing that disc golf has going for it is that it is supported by free apps such as uDisc that amount to free yardage books and scoring.  It is user supported so courses are most likely on there.  For vacation last year I played three courses in Florida that I had never set foot on and had a good idea for how to play the holes and where to find them.  I guess it is sort of the equivalent to GPS in a golf cart.

I think I carry 12 or so discs when I play.  It is sort of like having a club that only hits a draw or only hits a fade.  If you could only hit a 150 yard fade with your 8iron you would eventually want the equivalent club to hit a 150 yard draw.  That is sort of the principle with the discs.  They have specific flight characteristics and it is just easier (maybe more consistent?) to make the same motion and let the disc do the moving versus manipulating your throwing motion to get the desired result.

I can't subscribe to the concept of having a full blown backpack or rolling bag with discs but some guys do and they can probably justify it somehow.  My feeble game cannot.

I am happy with the difficulty of golf. It would be nice if I had more affinity with consistency though, I must admit.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Hate to admit but I do enjoy easier, wide open municipal courses over difficult expensive courses.

More of a relaxed vibe, not an overly challenging walk, still have chances to hit greens after mediocre tee shots, rarely any lost balls or blow up holes, driveable par 4's, don't have to spend 

too much time reading greens etc...

Easier courses make you feel like you're a decent golfer when you're average at best lol.

On 5/27/2021 at 5:47 PM, Barfolomew said:

That's a good point.... if you're gonna replace other activities for something else (as we naturally do thru life) it better be worthy

Oh and I snapped my Achilles in October riding skateboard just from pushing really hard with my foot not from a fall or anything, had surgery and coming back to golf now..... I'm 50, guess I'm done riding skateboard too or so everyone tells me haha

join the club.  My wife broke her foot on her long board and I went down pretty hard and jacked up my back about two years ago.  

Only get the deck out because our girls wanted to ride.  So we did.  I was hero dad for about 15 minutes!

also… yes, I like that tournament golf is hard.   No glory in playing well at or winning something that’s easy. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 8:13 AM, Ferguson said:

I think golf brings out a person's true personality and provides the perfect test for mental deftness.  A golfer is his own worst enemy.

A single shot can instantly produce an emotion. 

If I said this once, I have said it 1,000 times - if a physically coordinated 12 HC got his/her emotions under control and set no expectations about score, he/she could score 3-5 shots better per round.   

Amen.....that's true for me. I can't turn my brain off and can't stop focusing on all the wrong things...I'm getting better, but my brain goes into overdrive as soon I see a golf ball...let alone address it. 

And Tee boxes...my brain melts. Which is why I can't get off the tee. Doesn't matter what club....it's a mental block...

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

One thing I love about the game is how challenging it is, if it was easy I am sure I would have been bored of it a long time ago.  There are days where I let myself get beat with my play but not once I have I ever lost joy no matter the difficulty.

I always question the community that is vocal that golfers should move up to an appropriate tee box or do little things to make the game more fun for them while additionally helping play across the course.  What if I want to have a challenge and make the game harder and not too easy for myself.  

• Like 1

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

23 hours ago, Scrubby said:

Hate to admit but I do enjoy easier, wide open municipal courses over difficult expensive courses.

More of a relaxed vibe, not an overly challenging walk, still have chances to hit greens after mediocre tee shots, rarely any lost balls or blow up holes, driveable par 4's, don't have to spend 

Easier courses make you feel like you're a decent golfer when you're average at best lol.

This sounds like my home course. Short 9 holes, couple water spots, lots of trees, very quiet and peaceful. I play it with a cart and usually 3-4 balls hitting shots from wherever. Some elevation changes and some slant to most greens, but not a tough course by any stretch. I am usually the only one there, so I can do whatever. It's very relaxing.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

If I could master golf I'd likely give it up and move on to the next challenge.  So I like it being difficult, and that I can play the game likely for the rest of my life.  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

On 6/8/2021 at 7:46 AM, Scrubby said:

I'm in somewhat the same boat but it's partly because I'm not good or consistent enough for the tough courses. The easier muni courses give me plenty of challenge as it is. The ultra-difficult courses would just be frustration. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip