Srixon z785 vs Srixon Zx7

AbSWFPGA

2 hours ago, mookio said:

Anymore thoughts on forgiveness difference between 785 and x7? Currently playing 785s and really like them, but they feel harsh on mishits (specifically in the longer irons). Switching from Modus 120s to 105x and am wondering if it might just be worth getting new clubs and selling the 785s. 

I’ve found the ZX7’s to be much more forgiving than the Z785 so far for me, and have heard many on WRX say the same.

Where the forgiveness really shines through is on toe-misses and thin shots, but the sweet spot in general seems bigger.

Really liked the feel and control of the Z785’s, but I found them extremely punishing on mishits and very harsh when not hitting the sweet spot. Not the case with the ZX7’s, they feel softer and much less harsh. Highly recommend them and they are surprisingly forgiving for a Player’s CB.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

9 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

I’ve found the ZX7’s to be much more forgiving than the Z785 so far for me, and have heard many on WRX say the same.

Where the forgiveness really shines through is on toe-misses and thin shots, but the sweet spot in general seems bigger.

Really liked the feel and control of the Z785’s, but I found them extremely punishing on mishits and very harsh when not hitting the sweet spot. Not the case with the ZX7’s, they feel softer and much less harsh. Highly recommend them and they are surprisingly forgiving for a Player’s CB.

Sweet. What about in the longer irons? Similar flight to the z785s? Currently playing a 585 in the 5 iron but wondering if I could go x7 instead of x5.

2 minutes ago, mookio said:

Sweet. What about in the longer irons? Similar flight to the z785s? Currently playing a 585 in the 5 iron but wondering if I could go x7 instead of x5.

I've never hit the ZX7 4 and 5 irons, so can't give any perspective on that. I struggled badly with the Z785 long irons, so in the ZX7's I have 6-PW, then a ZX5 5-iron and a ZX4 4-iron with graphite shaft as a Driving Iron.

Preferred the ZX7 6-iron over the ZX5 6-iron though, and thought about ordering a ZX7 5-iron to replace the ZX5 5i, but didn't think it was worth the extra cost, and the ZX5 5i is a nice iron still.

Verdict is still out on the ZX4 4-iron, have only hit it a couple of times at my Indoor range. If it doesn't work out, I'll probably go with a ZX5 4-iron.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Very interesting. Really appreciate the info. 

I swing my 7 iron about ~91mph so height and distance with the 5 isn't necessarily the issue. its more strike induced which is why I switched from the 785 to the 585 (although shaft isn't currently helping). I would probably lean towards a zx5 just for ease of use and confidence, but if I can hit the 5 iron without too much trouble, id love to get the feel the same throughout the set. 

Just out of curiosity, why the x4 over the utility?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mookio said:

Very interesting. Really appreciate the info. 

I swing my 7 iron about ~91mph so height and distance with the 5 isn't necessarily the issue. its more strike induced which is why I switched from the 785 to the 585 (although shaft isn't currently helping). I would probably lean towards a zx5 just for ease of use and confidence, but if I can hit the 5 iron without too much trouble, id love to get the feel the same throughout the set. 

Just out of curiosity, why the x4 over the utility?

My pleasure man, always happy to help!

Testing out the ZX4 4-iron w/ graphite shaft because I previously tried the U85 and struggled with it, so figured the ZX would be too similar. I had a ZX5 4-iron head that I picked up and got a Modus 120 shaft installed in it to match the rest of my set, but the shop messed up the glue job and it didn't work out because the head kept twisting.

So I could've ordered a new ZX5 4-iron, but figured I'd test out the ZX4 4i with graphite for more potential distance and forgiveness. Haven't hit it well in testing at my indoor range, but that's probably more me to blame than the club, Lol!

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I loved the 785 honestly, but found the Modus 120 stiff a little loose feeling.  I am considering ordering a set of ZX7 with the 120x, but they seem to be backordered.  If the ZX7 are more forgiving than the 785 then dang... they must be really good.  I have some 745s but I think the more narrow sole of the 785 was better for me.  Lowest round with my 745s, more consistently low rounds with the 785s.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

46 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I loved the 785 honestly, but found the Modus 120 stiff a little loose feeling.  I am considering ordering a set of ZX7 with the 120x, but they seem to be backordered.  If the ZX7 are more forgiving than the 785 then dang... they must be really good.  I have some 745s but I think the more narrow sole of the 785 was better for me.  Lowest round with my 745s, more consistently low rounds with the 785s.  

I haven’t heard of anyone who’s used both the Z785 and ZX7 who hasn’t found the ZX7’s significantly more forgiving.

Get ready to say dang if you test them out man…they’re the real deal!! 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

if the zx7 is significantly more forgiving then my current 765 they must be awesome

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Zx7 just look so big….maybe it is just me..

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

11 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

if the zx7 is significantly more forgiving then my current 765 they must be awesome

Never hit the 765, just the 785 and the ZX7’s are definitely much more forgiving than those.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

10 hours ago, Kale_m said:

Zx7 just look so big….maybe it is just me..

16 minutes ago, Theweekday said:

Not just you, unfortunately they do... still great irons though!

I think they look pretty compact overall and the top line isn’t too thick at address, but they definitely a longer blade length.

Personally I find their length gives me a lot of confidence at address and I’m sure that’s where a lot of the forgiveness comes from.

Just depends what irons you’re used to and what you compare them to. The Titleist T100 for example I find way too small and thin at address and I’d be terrified to hit them…but that’s just my perspective.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

T100 look tiny and scary to me, would not go for those based just upon that.

zx7 looks perfect size to me and similar to 765 which i have now. 

I hit the 785 and I didnt think they were an upgrade over what i had so i passed on those but if the zx7 is way more forgiving then that i am buying them immediately.

Anyone know where to order just one zx7 iron to demo? 

• Like 2

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

17 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

I hit the 785 and I didnt think they were an upgrade over what i had so i passed on those but if the zx7 is way more forgiving then that i am buying them immediately.

Agreed on the T100.

Someone posted a forgiveness chart of all irons on a thread somewhere, and the stats show how forgiving the ZX7’s are compared to other CB’s.

You can order individual irons directly through the Srixon website if you’re in the States, or Srixon Canada here in the Great White North.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

59 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

I think they look pretty compact overall and the top line isn’t too thick at address, but they definitely a longer blade length.

Personally I find their length gives me a lot of confidence at address and I’m sure that’s where a lot of the forgiveness comes from.

Just depends what irons you’re used to and what you compare them to. The Titleist T100 for example I find way too small and thin at address and I’d be terrified to hit them…but that’s just my perspective.

I have raw z945’s . They are small lol. But I like that 

• Like 1

Tri-hot double wide 

1 hour ago, Kale_m said:

I have raw z945’s . They are small lol. But I like that 

Oh Ok, gotcha. So those were previous generation blades before the Z-Forged right?

Yeah, the ZX7’s are bigger than blades, but don’t think they’re particularly big compared to other Player’s CB’s though.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 6/10/2021 at 9:15 AM, rsh0308 said:

Over the years I’ve had the 745 and only gamed then a short time but still own them, 1.5 seasons with the 765, a season with the 785 and now about 20 rounds with the ZX7. 

745 feel great, soft face, ball really flies. Bought new 765s with Modus120x a few years ago and have had the same model shafts in the 85 and ZX7 so more apples to apples. 

Contrary to what most people tend to feel, I actually loved my 765s. Uber forgiving for the profile and I got their worth out of them before selling and moving on. 785s actually felt denser to me at impact- definitely soft when you mush one in the center bit mishits were more clicky/dense to me than 45 and 65. 
85s definitely appear to have more narrow soles.
Overall I thought forgiveness was 765>745>785 on misses away from center of the face, but 785 were most manipulable (is that even a word?!) with the narrower sole. They’re better getting out of thick rough and really all around great clubs. 

I made my first ace with the 785 9-iron last year so they will always have a place in one of my bags. I think. 

ZX7 to me are the best of the bunch though. 20 rounds in and there are still some shots that I’m amazed at even compared to the 785/65s. Numerous fatted long irons on par 3s or from the fairway on approaches leaving me putting when I would have thought I’d be dead; even yesterday I was surprised at a how a fat chunky 6-iron went dead straight to the front edge of the green.
Something about the sole and bounce to me are perfect. 
Thin shots tend to fly almost there too. 
Shot my first even par round EVER at my home club with them last month (in ~200 total rounds?). 

I was holding onto my 745s as a project to reshaft with the modus 120x but just thinking about buying a backup ZX7 sometime and selling the 45s. 

Hey that’s awesome! We both have our first hole in one with a 785 9 iron. Congrats! 

36 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Oh Ok, gotcha. So those were previous generation blades before the Z-Forged right?

Yeah, the ZX7’s are bigger than blades, but don’t think they’re particularly big compared to other Player’s CB’s though.

They were the first gens of the series, best ones yet 

Tri-hot double wide 

About 30 rounds in with the 785’s. Modus Tour 120’s. I can honestly say that for the first time in a long time I have absolutely zero interest in looking at other irons. Feel, looks, workability and turf interaction (I’m a picker) are amazing. 

Replaced the 4 iron with a U85 w/ Recoil. That thing is money too. 

I bought a set of 765’s at the same time figuring I’d give them both a workout and go with the one I preferred but the 765’s never made it past the range. Nothing wrong with them at all. Just loved the 785’s that much. 

765’s are in the garage in fantastic condition. HMU if you’re looking for a set! 

• Like 4

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

4 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

the size is a strange one. I have a set of 765s which I still love, but when I’ve hit friends 785s they looked smaller to me and less forgiving 

yesterday I played with someone who had the zx5 and I swear that they’re close to my 765s. 

so I reckon if you have 785s then zx7 will be closest, but if you have 765s then you’re closest to zx5, which is what I’d now go for. 

mind you, I’m sure everyone will see this one differently!

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

On 2/11/2022 at 6:47 PM, BallerNate said:

I haven’t heard of anyone who’s used both the Z785 and ZX7 who hasn’t found the ZX7’s significantly more forgiving.

Get ready to say dang if you test them out man…they’re the real deal!! 😎

I have played both, still own same set ups of Zx5/7 combo and 585/785 combo. Both split at the 8 spot due to playing less and less. 

Anyways the ZX7 are more forgiving but really abt 6i do you see that. I've played combos of srixon forever and split where I consider my scoring clubs. Initially had all zx5 but prefer the smaller heads of the scoring lines. I could have played the zx7 to the 6i spot but would have went zx5 for 5 and up. 

For the 785s I think the forgiveness dropped off (for me) at the 6 spot. And it was a pretty significant drop

I go back and forth abt where I should have split. I want to say in hindsight, I should have switched at the 7 vice 6. But I think I made the right decision based off life - work balance 

Regarding the utility, have a zx u with an MMT and it's pretty forgiving but nothing significant aver the U85. 

• Like 1

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

3 hours ago, Russ757 said:

I have played both, still own same set ups of Zx5/7 combo and 585/785 combo. Both split at the 8 spot due to playing less and less. 

Anyways the ZX7 are more forgiving but really abt 6i do you see that. I've played combos of srixon forever and split where I consider my scoring clubs. Initially had all zx5 but prefer the smaller heads of the scoring lines. I could have played the zx7 to the 6i spot but would have went zx5 for 5 and up. 

For the 785s I think the forgiveness dropped off (for me) at the 6 spot. And it was a pretty significant drop

I go back and forth abt where I should have split. I want to say in hindsight, I should have switched at the 7 vice 6. But I think I made the right decision based off life - work balance 

Regarding the utility, have a zx u with an MMT and it's pretty forgiving but nothing significant aver the U85. 

Yeah, I agree that it was especially the long irons in the 785 that were the toughest to hit. The 4, 5, 6 were absolutely brutal for me.

That influenced my decision to order ZX5 4, 5, 6 irons and go ZX7 7-AW, but when I tried them all out I found out I much preferred the ZX7’s and preferred the ZX7 6i over the ZX5.

All about personal preference and what works for your game, but I don’t think there’s any question the ZX7 is significantly more forgiving than the 785’s (I would argue in the short irons it shows up also).

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Man, I thought the 785 were stupid forgiving.  I really have to give the ZX7 a go I guess at some point soon.  

• Like 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Ok, @BallerNate, I appreciate your enthusiasm about the ZX7 but I have to admit after demoing today with a couple different shafts, I am going to be your first person who says, the ZX7 are not significantly more forgiving than the 785.  I'm sorry man!!!  LOL

Having played the 785 more than once, I am familiar so I only demoed the ZX7 with the Modus 120s and 120x.  I thought the 120x could be my next shaft, but it seems the 120s is a better fit at the end of the day according to the numbers.  I also demoed a set of blue dot iBlades with the S300 against the ZX7 and found no discernable difference in forgiveness there either, and the numbers with the 120x and S300 were very close.  The 120s netted me a few more carry yards but the overall dispersion of the iBlades was better.   Dare I say, I preferred the feel as well... Don't flame!!!

Side by side, the 785 looks slightly larger than the ZX7 and the finish looks a little more dull.  I prefer that also.  Soles are slightly more narrow on the 85, too.  Overall, the ZX7 is really nice and I can see why people love them but for me, the 785 is the better of two, winning on feel as well.  I'd even say that my 745/Modus 105 combo feels softer than the ZX7.  I was expecting much more, maybe that was the problem but I was kind of underwhelmed unfortunately.  Glad I scratched the itch but I think I could wait to see what's next for Srixon.

Nate, I hope you go low as heck with these though, I can see why you're a fan even though they weren't for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I have had the 785s for 2 seasons. They are plenty forgiving, and I really like them.  Out of curiosity, I hit the ZX7 7 iron at my local golf store. My initial impression was that the ZX7 head appeared to be a bit smaller than the 785. The 7 iron ZX7 felt nice, but it did not “wow” me into thinking I needed to change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Ok, @BallerNate, I appreciate your enthusiasm about the ZX7 but I have to admit after demoing today with a couple different shafts, I am going to be your first person who says, the ZX7 are not significantly more forgiving than the 785.  I'm sorry man!!!  LOL

Having played the 785 more than once, I am familiar so I only demoed the ZX7 with the Modus 120s and 120x.  I thought the 120x could be my next shaft, but it seems the 120s is a better fit at the end of the day according to the numbers.  I also demoed a set of blue dot iBlades with the S300 against the ZX7 and found no discernable difference in forgiveness there either, and the numbers with the 120x and S300 were very close.  The 120s netted me a few more carry yards but the overall dispersion of the iBlades was better.   Dare I say, I preferred the feel as well... Don't flame!!!

Side by side, the 785 looks slightly larger than the ZX7 and the finish looks a little more dull.  I prefer that also.  Soles are slightly more narrow on the 85, too.  Overall, the ZX7 is really nice and I can see why people love them but for me, the 785 is the better of two, winning on feel as well.  I'd even say that my 745/Modus 105 combo feels softer than the ZX7.  I was expecting much more, maybe that was the problem but I was kind of underwhelmed unfortunately.  Glad I scratched the itch but I think I could wait to see what's next for Srixon.

Nate, I hope you go low as heck with these though, I can see why you're a fan even though they weren't for me.

🤣🤣🤣 Haha…you’re making it sound like I hand designed the ZX7’s myself and would be offended by your post, Lol!!

Totally understand where you’re coming from…the Z785’s are extremely good too and I agree there are aspects of it that are better than ZX7.

I just found them too punishing and painful on mishits, but to be totally fair, my swing wasn’t great during the time I had the 785’s, and might have been a different experience if I gamed them during a stage where I was a better ball-striker.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

35 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

🤣🤣🤣 Haha…you’re making it sound like I hand designed the ZX7’s myself and would be offended by your post, Lol!!

Totally understand where you’re coming from…the Z785’s are extremely good too and I agree there are aspects of it that are better than ZX7.

I just found them too punishing and painful on mishits, but to be totally fair, my swing wasn’t great during the time I had the 785’s, and might have been a different experience if I gamed them during a stage where I was a better ball-striker.

I know, it was kind of tongue in cheek, but I wanted it to sound that way..🤣🤣🤣

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

34 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I know, it was kind of tongue in cheek, but I wanted it to sound that way..🤣🤣🤣

Haha…yeah, you made me sound like the CEO of Srixon or something!! 🤣🤣

Reality is that I won’t blink to replace them if I think another iron will be a better fit for my game! 😎😉

• Haha 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Haha…yeah, you made me sound like the CEO of Srixon or something!! 🤣🤣

Reality is that I won’t blink to replace them if I think another iron will be a better fit for my game! 😎😉

For all I know, you could be!!!!

• Haha 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"