Srixon z785 vs Srixon Zx7

AbSWFPGA

Last year I gamed a combo set 585 in 4 and 5 and 785 6-pw with modus 120x. This year I got fit into zx7 with modus 105x and decided to combo 4 and 5 zx5 for more forgiveness in the longer irons. My iron play is much better this year so far but I think that is mainly down to the shaft.

First when comparing zx5 to 585 the zx5 look much better from address, however the 585 felt better. I would rather game the zx5 compared to the 585 based off looks alone. I know you asked about the zx7 but just figured I'd toss that in incase you decide to combo. 

Now when comparing the zx7 to the 785, I could gladly game either set. I am finding the zx7 to be more forgiving but I couldn't confidently tell you if it is because of the clubhead or because of the shaft change. I do think the zx7 looks slightly better and it seems to feel better and also glide through the turf better. That could also be mental because I'm playing better but overall I'm happier with the newer set.

I don't think you could go wrong with either

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AbSWFPGA said:

Decided on the 785s have heard too many good things, hit them some yesterday along with the zx7 and preferred the 85s appearance at address and numbers were better across the board

Nice...enjoy and hit them well!! Probably couldn’t go wrong with either one of them...just comes down to personal preference, and obviously the 785’s are much cheaper and easier to get than the ZX7’s currently.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, Mattn1106 said:

Last year I gamed a combo set 585 in 4 and 5 and 785 6-pw with modus 120x. This year I got fit into zx7 with modus 105x and decided to combo 4 and 5 zx5 for more forgiveness in the longer irons. My iron play is much better this year so far but I think that is mainly down to the shaft.

First when comparing zx5 to 585 the zx5 look much better from address, however the 585 felt better. I would rather game the zx5 compared to the 585 based off looks alone. I know you asked about the zx7 but just figured I'd toss that in incase you decide to combo. 

Now when comparing the zx7 to the 785, I could gladly game either set. I am finding the zx7 to be more forgiving but I couldn't confidently tell you if it is because of the clubhead or because of the shaft change. I do think the zx7 looks slightly better and it seems to feel better and also glide through the turf better. That could also be mental because I'm playing better but overall I'm happier with the newer set.

I don't think you could go wrong with either

Thanks for the review, enjoy your sticks!

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Nice...enjoy and hit them well!! Probably couldn’t go wrong with either one of them...just comes down to personal preference, and obviously the 785’s are much cheaper and easier to get than the ZX7’s currently.

Thanks! Yea trying to order the zx7 was difficult , I play x100s and I was told could be over a month. So figured 785 was way to go. 

Hate to hear all the people going back to the 785.

I have 5+ years with the 745's and just received the zx7's. I have not hit them but as far as looks go they look pretty similar but Srixon did clean up the top line a little bit.

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

12 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Makes sense if you’re looking for workability. I’m actually fine with the 785’s up to the 4-iron, but just looking for something in that spot that I can get more consistency from since it’s a club I use a lot (3/4 iron).

I’ve tried a P790, U85, Z 565, and now a new P770 in that 4-iron spot. I think the biggest issue with the P790, U85, and 565 were probably shafts that didn’t fit my swing, and didn’t like the turf interaction or lack of feel with the P790 or U85. Hoping the P770 w/ Modus3 120 shaft will do the trick, and otherwise like my 785’s from 5-PW so far.

I do really like the 585 in the 4 iron. That may stay as I do my testing. Shaft is key!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, golfwb said:

Hate to hear all the people going back to the 785.

all 4 of them? Not clear this thread shows a huge migration from zx7 back to 785. But both are great clubs.

as for spin, depends on the details. This was an 8i yesterday from about 135y out into the wind.

CEB2A76D-2A13-439A-A8A7-A10ABC0AC903.jpeg.1028e1cde19a777d891613a41266fb56.jpeg

Edited by nostatic

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

5 hours ago, nostatic said:

all 4 of them? Not clear this thread shows a huge migration from zx7 back to 785. But both are great clubs.

as for spin, depends on the details. This was an 8i yesterday from about 135y out into the wind.

My 785 with Modus 120 stiff do the same, just about hit the green and stop... I kind of love it.  I have a set of J15 cb with modus 125 and while they feel fantastic, I dont think they spin ENOUGH... I have had quite a few running through greens...  

You really can't go wrong with the ZX7 or the 785 IMO.  I was not a fan of the 765, mainly because the PW was awful looking but the rest seemed to be ok.  For now, I stick with the 785, they just seem to be everything I could want in an iron.  

• Like 3

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

5 hours ago, me05501 said:

I don’t understand any shade on the 765’s. I love them. 

Its just the PW in that set....  For me, it just looks goofy.  I prefer the sharper lines of the 745 and 785 by far.  I also thought the 765 felt a little more firm and clicky coming from the 745s.  Im sure the 765 are great in their own right, just my least favorite of them all. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 6/11/2021 at 4:59 AM, BallerNate said:

Makes sense if you’re looking for workability. I’m actually fine with the 785’s up to the 4-iron, but just looking for something in that spot that I can get more consistency from since it’s a club I use a lot (3/4 iron).

I’ve tried a P790, U85, Z 565, and now a new P770 in that 4-iron spot. I think the biggest issue with the P790, U85, and 565 were probably shafts that didn’t fit my swing, and didn’t like the turf interaction or lack of feel with the P790 or U85. Hoping the P770 w/ Modus3 120 shaft will do the trick, and otherwise like my 785’s from 5-PW so far.

the u85 is a great option if you have the 785s. I have the 765 and got the u65 4i, with same shaft as my irons (nippon) and it’s perfect. Distance gapping is ideal, and it’s way more forgiving than the normal 4i. 

getting the nippon shaft made all the difference, but if you can find one in the right spec, I think you’ll be on to a winner!

• Like 1

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

6 hours ago, beaney said:

the u85 is a great option if you have the 785s. I have the 765 and got the u65 4i, with same shaft as my irons (nippon) and it’s perfect. Distance gapping is ideal, and it’s way more forgiving than the normal 4i. 

getting the nippon shaft made all the difference, but if you can find one in the right spec, I think you’ll be on to a winner!

Yeah, I agree that I probably had the wrong shaft in the U85 that I had, and I was testing it during a time that my swing was extremely rusty.

For whatever reason, graphite shafts in the Driving Irons and 4-irons I’ve been trying haven’t been a fit, but I agree that with the Nippon it could have totally different feel and results.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I chime in again on these. 

I like the feel of the previous models more. 
the distance is the same (all of them are long) 

turf interaction, I think 785 are better. 
I really think the 785 are more forgiving and just better. 

the 5 series, all are good. I think the 785 look cleaner, but I was really impressed with the 5 iron in the new version. That was weapon. 

the 7 series in the 5 and 6, are easier and look as good if not cleaner then the new version. 

I think Srixon tried to make some big moves to get more people testing their clubs and word out there. Which is great for them. But the i don’t think it helped with the new irons. Not the biggest fan.  

• Like 2

I’ve had my Z785’s for almost 2 years now. Hoping I can go a couple more without switching. I recently demo’d the zx7 and the apex pro for fun. Zx7 felt very similar and looked fantastic. Apex pro launched higher and carried a little further but the sound and feel of the cup face made them an instant turn off. Couldn’t discern too much between the 2 Srixon offerings so I will be sticking with my z785’s until the next round of temptation hits.

I will say dollar for dollar Srixon irons are the best value in the golf market. Hundreds cheaper than the other guys and amazing quality.

Edited by Haber

Been a Srixon iron fan for a long time…agree with a lot here, for whatever reason I tend to fall back to my 785’s also…shape looks more correct to me…neck seems really short to me in the x7’s

I game a combo set of the 785 5-7, 965’s 8-pw…the high heel on the 965 short irons look really solid to my eye

the short irons in the x7’s look really bad to me…way to much taper 

On 6/11/2021 at 5:55 PM, nostatic said:

There were 6 people on the first page that said they were switching back. 

I just got the clubs and hate to hear low spin reviews. You also hit it into the wind and who knows how soft the greens your hitting into. 

Don't be that internet guy. 

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

13 hours ago, golfwb said:

There were 6 people on the first page that said they were switching back. 

I just got the clubs and hate to hear low spin reviews. You also hit it into the wind and who knows how soft the greens your hitting into. 

Don't be that internet guy. 

The thing that has not been posted however are any numbers showing X7 irons spin any differently than 785s.  Without data, it’s just all opinions of players who we don’t know how well they strike it.

• Like 1

I’m kind of stuck. I have played a set of 765’s on Modus 120S for the last year and I love them but I’ve had a lot of elbow pain recently so I need to go back to graphite in my irons. I ordered in a set of 785’s on Recoil 110’s but that shaft seems not to be a great fit for me. I actually lose speed from the steel. 

For now I’ve gone back to my old set, Srixon I-506’s on NV Pro shafts. I had them bent to “modern” lofts and I still like them a lot. Now I have the 765’s in steel and the 785’s in graphite and I’m not playing either set.

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

9 hours ago, wdaig1 said:

The thing that has not been posted however are any numbers showing X7 irons spin any differently than 785s.  Without data, it’s just all opinions of players who we don’t know how well they strike it.

I tend to doubt that is a thing. The heads are really quite similar. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

10 hours ago, wdaig1 said:

I agree. Without numbers and launch monitor data these are just opinions of random people.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

• 2 weeks later...

Still gaming z745s.  It's been 3 years and they're still going strong.  Just picked up a set of z785s as "back up". 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 6.0
3 Wood: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 13* Fujikura Motore F3 70-S
Hybrid: Ping Rapture v2 17*
Irons: Srixon 745 TT DG S300 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist 718 ap2 50* GW
Titleist SM6 54* M grind SW
Putter: Swag the Cooler

• 4 weeks later...

i own the 765 and love them with Modus 105. I tried the 785 and went back to the 765, for me they just feel and work better. I think they all look similar but each of us are looking at these clubs differently. Bottom line is that Srixon makes very solid irons and people are starting to take notice

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I never got on with the 7XX, and much preferred the 9XX.  For me the ZX7 are a perfect balance as they look and sit nice like the 9's but with the forgiveness of the 7's.  I have a 785 fitting club with the same shaft and it just doesn't perform for me.  Possibly all between the ears but we all know that is a valid fitting factor when it comes to golf clubs. 

I am so impressed with them that I am looking to throw out the Vokey 50* for a ZX7 gap.

This is all opinion without DATA. 785-golfer are use to shape at address and the body is use to lie/loft that they will dismiss ZX5/ZX7 hitting them for few minutes. The difference is exceptional between them. It takes 3 week or 21 days for a physical or mental change. However, Colin M won OPEN with SIM driver (not SIM2). So "Dont fix if it, if its not broken" applies even in golf. Goal is to score low not buy ads.

Went from AP2's to 785's to ZX7's

I play 5-PW in ZX7's w/ Modus3 Tour 105 Hard Step, MCC Grip w/ 3 Wraps. Shaft set up was same in both 785 and ZX7 with the only change being grips.  I also play 1* upright.  I went to the 785's because I love the look and then buttery feel when hitting sweet spot.   Mind you I am HC, 18, shoot ave. of 90-95.  However I love blade / Forged irons.  Went to ZX7 because I wanted the latest.  Hard for me to say any regret because I am not consistent with my irons, and that is on me not the clubs.  I am not good enough to say they dont hold greens, however when I make a flush shot, the club is doing what I want.  I love them....if I could go back to 785, I would still have the voice in my head to get the latest.  They are solid clubs and the sole if fantastic and you can't go wrong.  Srixon's are sleepers and love the fact that they are not as main stream as others.  I have not tried the woods and been tempted to. 

• Like 1