2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

USK Qualifying and Priority lists

Invitation grid was updated early March. Note the date at the bottom of screenshot is wrong. 

Feb initial release: https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1828769-usk-qualifying-and-priority-lists/?do=findComment&comment=24639666

March update: https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1828769-usk-qualifying-and-priority-lists/?do=findComment&comment=24684075

1490655749_Screenshot2023-03-13at11_11_49AM.png.064a11fc5dfe260764c5993c885b4174.png

Edited by Medson

• 1 month later...

My son is 5 and doing well in local tours in South Carolina. He's in 2nd place for season points but his lowest score are 46's and 47s. Ive seen the chart/grid(need to shoot 90 or below) but my question is, is there a chance he will get into Worlds for the 6U? There are kids he beats who have already qualified for Worlds(I guess they do regional stuff). I've heard with the younger age groups, it gets a little easier to qualify??

This is not a big deal for us and probably a good thing if he doesn't get in. It could be something to work for for 2024 Worlds as he will still be in the 6 and Under.

Just curious! 

1 hour ago, Jberline said:

My son is 5 and doing well in local tours in South Carolina. He's in 2nd place for season points but his lowest score are 46's and 47s. Ive seen the chart/grid(need to shoot 90 or below) but my question is, is there a chance he will get into Worlds for the 6U? There are kids he beats who have already qualified for Worlds(I guess they do regional stuff). I've heard with the younger age groups, it gets a little easier to qualify??

This is not a big deal for us and probably a good thing if he doesn't get in. It could be something to work for for 2024 Worlds as he will still be in the 6 and Under.

Just curious! 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1828769-usk-qualifying-and-priority-lists/?do=findComment&comment=24303693

This is the final invitation matrix for last year. You can use it as a reference. 

1 hour ago, Jberline said:

Thank you! So it looks like he would still need two rounds at 45 or better? Right?

Serious question and was told this a long time ago.  If a player doesn't have any shot to win at higher level events, don't play.  At 6-9, and only my opinion, I think World's is generally an unhealthy event regardless of the participants skill level.

• Like 4

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Yeah I probably agree with that...I've seen a lot of good or normal parents having fun watching and helping their kid play golf and I've seen some who are absolutely  ridiculous and their kid will quit golf by the time they are 12. But my thinking is, if my son is obsessed and loves the competition part(more than driving range or clinics) then why not participate in the US Kids stuff? As he gets older and if he wants to continue to play golf, building them up by winning local/club events and knocking them down a little bit on bigger stages is probably a good thing. 

New Priority status earning approach: https://tournaments.uskidsgolf.com/sites/default/files/2023-tournaments-priority-status-details.pdf?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2023 PRIORITY STATUS ANNOUNCEMENT (01GSAV6AXWTEMHEYH4WSACSZDX)&_kx=OtMZ7pebRrMVJWlbo2R96BscJDoqIBe-OGK1Ns0XOs4%3D.VrRLY4

1- seems like it is a better format where the sum of 2 rounds, especially from a 2day event is taken together 

2- it is more difficult to achieve higher status now, 70 and below. 

52 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Serious question and was told this a long time ago.  If a player doesn't have any shot to win at higher level events, don't play.  At 6-9, and only my opinion, I think World's is generally an unhealthy event regardless of the participants skill level.

I agree with a lot of what HH usually espouses, but I disagree here with a caveat...

If you are going to Worlds and driving your kid - regardless of age - to maximize every shot/get frustrated with lesser scores/missed shots etc - it is better to not go. If you treat Worlds like an amazing experience to share, an opportunity to meet (and play) with kids from around the world, and to just have an awesome trip - then DEFINITELY go.

We went with zero expectations last year and I really wish we had started competing earlier and gone when she was younger and even less pressure. Pinehurst is an amazing place, and the kids who aren't grinding are definitely having a LOT of fun hanging out playing together. I met tons of cool parents and have stayed in touch with quite a few....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

Curious about why you consider the worlds an unhealthy event? Is it the unnecessary pressure on the kids or other factors that you have observed? 

We went once, when my son was 9. We had very low expectations 1- because he had just started playing a few local tours ago, so he was not going to win or be in the top 20 and 2- he is a summer birthday, so was probably one of the youngest 9 year olds. But he had a blast. Yes, it was tough to grind out when you know you are not in the top 10ish but we had out own goals, shoot under x each round, finish in the top x etc. I feel if you set the right expectations to the kid (and to yourself) it is a fun week of vacation. 

This year my daughter qualified as well (she is also a summer kid), so competing in girls 8 (and son in b11). We are inclined to go because we felt that going at 8-9yrs old is when you can "experience" Worlds for its cuteness etc and once you get to 11+ its more competitive. Our general discussion is the same as above, going there for the experience, its a vacation, and make friends. I am hoping to sneak in a couple of rounds myself in and around Pinehurst 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojomover said:

Curious about why you consider the worlds an unhealthy event? Is it the unnecessary pressure on the kids or other factors that you have observed? 

We went once, when my son was 9. We had very low expectations 1- because he had just started playing a few local tours ago, so he was not going to win or be in the top 20 and 2- he is a summer birthday, so was probably one of the youngest 9 year olds. But he had a blast. Yes, it was tough to grind out when you know you are not in the top 10ish but we had out own goals, shoot under x each round, finish in the top x etc. I feel if you set the right expectations to the kid (and to yourself) it is a fun week of vacation. 

This year my daughter qualified as well (she is also a summer kid), so competing in girls 8 (and son in b11). We are inclined to go because we felt that going at 8-9yrs old is when you can "experience" Worlds for its cuteness etc and once you get to 11+ its more competitive. Our general discussion is the same as above, going there for the experience, its a vacation, and make friends. I am hoping to sneak in a couple of rounds myself in and around Pinehurst 😄

Again, my opinion.  I think it is absolutely unnecessary to put kids in a competitive situation at that age.  Absolute Unnecessary pressure which can lead to burnout later.  Play USKG Locals and States.  Keep it fun and relaxing while letting the kids be kids.  A Championship at 6-9 is for the parents more so than the kids.  If they are playing World Championships at that young of the age, what do they have to look forward to at 12?  USKG Teen Series and World Championships are a complete waste of time.  The 12 year old year is the caveat year.

• Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, kyan_indo said:

Hi, just received an updated priority status for my daughter she’s now priority level 13 for 8 and under. She’s turning 9 next july, so I’m assuming if she does get the invitation she’ll be playing at the 9 class?

Correct. I believe the cutoff date is the first day of the tournament. If she's 9 yo on the first day, she'll be placed in the 9 yo age group. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kyan_indo said:

Hi, just received an updated priority status for my daughter she’s now priority level 13 for 8 and under. She’s turning 9 next july, so I’m assuming if she does get the invitation she’ll be playing at the 9 class?

https://tournaments.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/player-info/priority-status

image.png.aa471a1f5666ad7dcb721edee1a577fa.png

• Thanks 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

11 hours ago, kyan_indo said:

I’m guessing, for the 2024 world, you’ll need status period beyond 2025?

No, you need the priority status to be active for the dates of the tournament, so say end of August. 

FWIW, my daughter is also girls 8 now, will be 9 in July, so we will be one of the youngest 9yr olds. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, mojomover said:

The priority status expanded to include level 14 in the last 6 months, so the previous grid did not include 13/14 levels 

Ah i see thanks for the information. It looks like it gets tougher this year. I wonder how are they going to send out invitations this year? Lifetime first then 14 then 13 and so on or lifetime, 14 & 13 get the first batch of invitations altogether 

• 2 weeks later...