Anyone play the Srixon ZX Fairway?

OspreyCI

• 1 year later...

No adapter so I'm out.

I played the F45 fairways and liked them, all future models are glued.

I want to choose my shaft and with an adapter it is easier, can port them from model to model.

Abandoned Srixon for fairways from then.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Think the zx mkii basically won the txg/cc fairway review. It was the longest of all of them.  I am tempted but playing a stealth right now. 

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

The past year I have been playing a 4 wood and 7 wood but decided to find a 5 wood to create a spot for another wedge. Anyway this past year I have hit the following 5 woods in search of that perfect fairway wood for my swing. Have tried the following Sim2 Max, TSi2, TSR2, TSR3, Ping G430, Stealth 2, Stealth 2 HD, Paradym, Epic Max, Epic Speed (I purchase used or new with 30 day playability so that I can try them on the course rather than a simulator).

I belive I have found my unicorn fairway the Srixon ZX 5 wood, this is mid launch with low spin and goes further than my 4 wood. This is a beast and reminds me of my TM Rocketbalz Tour 5 I used to have which was also a bonded head. I really prefer a bonded hosel for my fairways as I learn to hit the club rather than constantly fiddling with adjustable settings. 

As everyone knows finding a fairway metal that suits your eye (the ZX is a smaller head), is forgiving and long is hard to find, I am hoping this stays in the bag for many years. I tried the ZX MKII and did not notice any better performance than the older ZX, so saved some coin by buying an older used model. I actually look forward to hitting this club where in the past I was hesitant about hitting the 4 wood. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

The MKii series are the most underrated fairways that I have ever hit and easily my current favorites.

The 3-wood is a bit low spinning and launching, but is super forgiving.

The 5-wood is like a cannon. Nice, high-launching and super-forgiving. 

All year, I have been surprised that few people are talking about these. They look great, feel great and perform as good as anything that I've hit. 

In our pro shop, we have sold 5 woods to quite a few of the people who have demo'ed them on the range.

Don't sleep on the hybrids either. The hybrids may be the best looking ever, and are so easy to launch. 

• Like 2

On 1/3/2024 at 4:22 PM, paztormike said:

The MKii series are the most underrated fairways that I have ever hit and easily my current favorites.

All year, I have been surprised that few people are talking about these. They look great, feel great and perform as good as anything that I've hit. 

In our pro shop, we have sold 5 woods to quite a few of the people who have demo'ed them on the range.

Don't sleep on the hybrids either. The hybrids may be the best looking ever, and are so easy to launch. 

in the recent txg fairway roundup review Mikey actually came out of the test wanting to build up a MK II 3 wood after testing everything. The performance was great.

i actually just took delivery of one and built it up last night - I’ll be taking it to the range later this afternoon and it’s the first non callaway 3 wood I’m testing in a long while. 

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

Well I'm impressed by the MK II 3 wood. I didnt find it to be low spin but I have a lot of weight back and in the heel on it since I had to add ~10g to the head. The stock config is at 43" and I play mine at 42". With a Tour AD UB shaft I had to use a ~6g tip weight plus about 4g of lead tape which I placed low and back on the head.

This really is a sleeper head. Very nice performance. Flight and spin was great visually. I will take my MEVO out with me later this week but today's range sessions + a few holes pretty much put it in the bag vs my paradym fairways.

VERY forgiving head. I put some bad swings on it and still hit the fairway.

More testing to come but I am pretty happy so far.

• Like 3

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

On 1/7/2024 at 9:46 PM, belh22 said:

Well that’s impressive vs callaway gear that I know you have dialed in. Keep us updated with hunber

Finally took my LM to the range. Turns out this MK II head is low spin! Versus my paradym 3 wood it's about 300-700RPM lower spin with the same shaft (AD UB) and about 800RPM less than an AD DI. The MKII with an AD UB is averaging about 2500RPM spin which IMO is too low for a general purpose 3 wood. I like to be around 3200RPM with a 3 wood to even think about holding a green on a par 5.

This explains why it's been great off the tee, though. The MK II head is very forgiving, still.

Ball speed is also great with the MK II 3w head - beating out my paradym fairway wood head by about .5MPH on average.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I had an idea. I liked the MKII but just didnt get the numbers I wanted out of the 3w. I took a flyer on a 7w and took it out for the first range session today and I'm VERY impressed. Feel and flight was great. I didnt have my MEVO with me for numbers since it was raining but I'm crossing my fingers it might finally be 'the one' in the 5w/7w/UT/UW/3h spot.

I'm kind of itching to test a 5w in the 3w spot, now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, belh22 said:

Based on all I’ve read about these this is what I want to try just haven’t done it yet!  Think the 5 wood at 3 wood length would be perfect 

I played the 3w @ 42" and the 7w right now @ 41" - if I get a 5w to mess with I'm going to play it at 42" as well.

One thing to note on these srixon woods is the BBGM is low on them compared to other modern woods. I think srixon tips 1/2" less than normal due to that. Any shaft pulled from other woods would be a little stiff due to the BBGM.

I have the mkii 3 wood got it in July last year. I have it at 42” with a speeder Evo IV 757. I added a 4 gram tip weight and it’s honestly been money off the deck and off the tee. It elevates easy with a flat ball flight. Couldn’t be happier with it. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2024 at 11:22 PM, paztormike said:

Really interesting to hear more if you wouldnt mind (your club speed, experiences with the new heads, did you test 13.5 vs 15 at all etc?). I cannot get fit into this club properly as there is a lack of shafts, so needing to buy and build custom to test. 

Was thinking of getting 15 degree with a Hzrdus Black 70g 6.5 Shaft. I have the 9.5 degree ZX5 LS driver with the same shaft (tipped) and love the driver. Was between the 13.5 and 15 only because I thought the 15 might spin to much. I use the club off the tee as a back up driver mostly and then a 250-260m (275 - 285y carry) club into only the longest par 5s (we have 2 on our home course).

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

In case anyone wants to know after weeks; I still stand by that the ZX MK II woods are very very nice heads and perform great. ESPECIALLY if you can get them for $150 or so which you can from CPO. I even tested the MK5 LS driver head on the course and it was also amazing (but for another thread).

Unfortunately I kicked the MK II's out of the bag and put my Callaways back in because...

No adjustable weighting

No adjustability

Low BBGM/shaft insertion (shafts come untipped from Srixon)

Horrendous titanium sound

Matte crown scratches easily

Fade biased (not a bad thing but)

Edited by third-times-a-charm

25 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

In case anyone wants to know after weeks; I still stand by that the ZX MK II woods are very very nice heads and perform great. ESPECIALLY if you can get them for $150 or so which you can from CPO. I even tested the MK5 LS driver head on the course and it was also amazing (but for another thread).

Unfortunately I kicked the MK II's out of the bag and put my Callaways back in because...

No adjustable weighting

No adjustability

Low BBGM/shaft insertion (shafts come untipped from Srixon)

Horrendous titanium sound

Matte crown scratches easily

Fade biased (not a bad thing but)

Thanks for the response!

Quick follow up - 

1. I dont mind the adjustability, if my spec is dialed then I dont need to change (personal preferance) why has this been such a game changer for you? (just curious I may be missing something).

2. On the BBGM (I had to google it to be honest) - how has this impacted you? I would have it built to 43.25"using the same measurement as my driver? Did you have tipping issues? Or other issues? I am planning to tip the shaft 1" (0.5 for fairway wood and another 0.5 for feel... would it need more tipping?)

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

1 hour ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Thanks for the response!

Quick follow up - 

1. I dont mind the adjustability, if my spec is dialed then I dont need to change (personal preferance) why has this been such a game changer for you? (just curious I may be missing something).

2. On the BBGM (I had to google it to be honest) - how has this impacted you? I would have it built to 43.25"using the same measurement as my driver? Did you have tipping issues? Or other issues? I am planning to tip the shaft 1" (0.5 for fairway wood and another 0.5 for feel... would it need more tipping?)

Yes it's tipping related, you would tip it less, not more.