Anyone play the Srixon ZX Fairway?

OspreyCI

Looking the the best fairway today and seeing the Srixon ZX ranked as the best. Is it that good?

Edited by OspreyCI

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• OspreyCI changed the title to Anyone play the Srixon ZX Fairway?

The alignment aid on the top of the club cause me to say no to this one. Plain top drivers-fairways-hybrids are fine, not sure why brands feel the need to put a distracting graphic at the top of the club.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I had the 3 wood for a while, but have since moved on. In my hands the 3 wood was incredibly low spin, driver low, and not much use beyond tee shots. Under no circumstance would I have been able to hold a green. Also, due to the low spin the club was simply too long and was basically a mini driver. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I had the 3 wood for a while, but have since moved on. In my hands the 3 wood was incredibly low spin, driver low, and not much use beyond tee shots. Under no circumstance would I have been able to hold a green. Also, due to the low spin the club was simply too long and was basically a mini driver. 

Second this. Finish above face also chipped easily, which I’ve never had an issue with on other fairways. 

• Thanks 1

Bonded hosel, yes?

As such, I'm out.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

23 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Bonded hosel, yes?

As such, I'm out.

Ha, bonded hosel is what makes me more interested in it... 

I actually went to a Srixon fitting day and didn't hit these because the guy before me (our club president) went an hour over time and I didn't want to burn more daylight... I really should have hit it, as it's my last slot that needs help, and I already ordered the irons...

Low spin mini driver is basically my love language for a 3 wood. I won't be landing any greens with one, and need a shorter tee option that I'm confident with... 

Honestly, if Srixon had either communicated the delays with my irons or actually delivered them in the promised amount of time, I'd probably already have one of these...

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

51 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Ha, bonded hosel is what makes me more interested in it... 

I actually went to a Srixon fitting day and didn't hit these because the guy before me (our club president) went an hour over time and I didn't want to burn more daylight... I really should have hit it, as it's my last slot that needs help, and I already ordered the irons...

Low spin mini driver is basically my love language for a 3 wood. I won't be landing any greens with one, and need a shorter tee option that I'm confident with... 

Honestly, if Srixon had either communicated the delays with my irons or actually delivered them in the promised amount of time, I'd probably already have one of these...

Yes, interesting our different viewpoints - I'm a mid singles cap. The older Srixon Z45 3+ wood (13 deg standard, smallish head at 168cc and quite low spin) might have suited you?

A few years back, motivated from buying Srixon Z565 irons and loving them, I got Z545 driver, 3+wd, 3wd and 5wds - all adapter set-ups. My plan was to build my shaft library with Srixon adapters and then just upgrade as new versions come out, either keeping the complete club or swapping out the shafts. When Srixon went bonded fairways from the 65 models, well that plan went out the window. For me, their woods weren't good enough to persevere with if I couldn't easily try different shafts and lofts.

I've therefore moved on from Srixon woods, replacing the Z45 5wood recently as the last of them (for me, the best of these woods) and gone down the Cobra family route. I think the Cobra woods that I own and have hit feel better, elevate off turf a little better and are longer....again, for me. Feel is certainly very personal and those Srixon's felt ok but the Cobra's feel and perform a little better plus I get the adjustability.

Now Srixon irons are a different story - just wonderful.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I tested one and it was good just needed a few adjustments that we couldn't get without the adjustable hosel. I'm sure if I didn't need a few adjustments it could have been in my bag. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

3 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Yes, interesting our different viewpoints - I'm a mid singles cap. The older Srixon Z45 3+ wood (13 deg standard, smallish head at 168cc and quite low spin) might have suited you?

A few years back, motivated from buying Srixon Z565 irons and loving them, I got Z545 driver, 3+wd, 3wd and 5wds - all adapter set-ups. My plan was to build my shaft library with Srixon adapters and then just upgrade as new versions come out, either keeping the complete club or swapping out the shafts. When Srixon went bonded fairways from the 65 models, well that plan went out the window. For me, their woods weren't good enough to persevere with if I couldn't easily try different shafts and lofts.

I've therefore moved on from Srixon woods, replacing the Z45 5wood recently as the last of them (for me, the best of these woods) and gone down the Cobra family route. I think the Cobra woods that I own and have hit feel better, elevate off turf a little better and are longer....again, for me. Feel is certainly very personal and those Srixon's felt ok but the Cobra's feel and perform a little better plus I get the adjustability.

Now Srixon irons are a different story - just wonderful.

I hear you... I also love Cobra woods, but haven't been able to find a demo BIG TOUR 3 wood anywhere... would LOVE to hit one... the shaft options (due to the fixed hosel) in the Srixon have also been lacking.. I need heavy and x-stiff shafts, but my 3 wood is basically the last club I need to upgrade and my current one just sits in the bag instead of the garage because why not... 

I like the fixed hosel because when I buy a club, I plan on using it for a bit... with a 3 wood, I'm unlikely to change the shaft or the settings once I have it set, so I'd rather not give up the weight in the adapter when it can be used to make a better performing head. I'm radically anti adjustable in hybrids, but more willing to sacrifice some forgiveness in the 3 wood category.

I'm looking forward to owning a set of Srixon irons... they are now expected in September... I've decided to wait on them, and then figure out my gapping and make sure I need a 3 wood and not a 5th wedge before buying a 3 wood... I don't really NEED a 3 wood, it would just be nice to have on some holes... 

I'm also currently a little miffed with Srixon as I don't feel like they've been on top of my order status... it might be my club pros fault, though... Assuming the irons come in built to my specs, I will probably forgive Srixon... We will see.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

12 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

I hear you... I also love Cobra woods, but haven't been able to find a demo BIG TOUR 3 wood anywhere... would LOVE to hit one... the shaft options (due to the fixed hosel) in the Srixon have also been lacking.. I need heavy and x-stiff shafts, but my 3 wood is basically the last club I need to upgrade and my current one just sits in the bag instead of the garage because why not... 

I like the fixed hosel because when I buy a club, I plan on using it for a bit... with a 3 wood, I'm unlikely to change the shaft or the settings once I have it set, so I'd rather not give up the weight in the adapter when it can be used to make a better performing head. I'm radically anti adjustable in hybrids, but more willing to sacrifice some forgiveness in the 3 wood category.

I'm looking forward to owning a set of Srixon irons... they are now expected in September... I've decided to wait on them, and then figure out my gapping and make sure I need a 3 wood and not a 5th wedge before buying a 3 wood... I don't really NEED a 3 wood, it would just be nice to have on some holes... 

I'm also currently a little miffed with Srixon as I don't feel like they've been on top of my order status... it might be my club pros fault, though... Assuming the irons come in built to my specs, I will probably forgive Srixon... We will see.

Always enjoy your posts, in my wheelhouse.

I have downgraded all my customer service standards expectations with the covid impact - not an excuse for the supplier, unfortunately just a reality. Don't get my items any more quickly, just an attempt at maintaining my sanity. A big, remembered plus from me for those that achieve more than above mediocre.

I like to play heavier shafts too, my 5 wood example; also experimenting with a mid 70's stiff shaft in a 44 in driver set-up with my Cobra F8+ head.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

Always enjoy your posts, in my wheelhouse.

I have downgraded all my customer service standards expectations with the covid impact - not an excuse for the supplier, unfortunately just a reality. Don't get my items any more quickly, just an attempt at maintaining my sanity. A big, remembered plus from me for those that achieve more than above mediocre.

I like to play heavier shafts too, my 5 wood example; also experimenting with a mid 70's stiff shaft in a 44 in driver set-up with my Cobra F8+ head.

Yeah, I'm not at all bothered by the delays, but there was a disconnect between when I placed the order (sales rep said nothing was back ordered, and it would be 3 weeks) and when I was going to get the clubs (date of arrival kept changing)... He's a newer rep at Srixon, and my club pro might not have been on top of things or fully transparent with me... I'm not sure which. I've worked in logistics to end consumers my whole career, and accurately communicating when things WILL be there instead of when we HOPE they will be there is an important part of the process. I will say, when I reached out to Srixon directly, my contact there gave me a timeline of when he thought things would happen, and gave the caveat that it wasn't set in stone. Appreciate Ray, and all he did for me... I will follow up with him next week to see if things went as planned.

On the 3 wood front, I found a Z45 with a shaft I like on eBay and have a couple hours left on the auction... if I can toss a stop gap in my bag for under $100, I will be very happy. I appreciate the suggestion. 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

57 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Yeah, I'm not at all bothered by the delays, but there was a disconnect between when I placed the order (sales rep said nothing was back ordered, and it would be 3 weeks) and when I was going to get the clubs (date of arrival kept changing)... He's a newer rep at Srixon, and my club pro might not have been on top of things or fully transparent with me... I'm not sure which. I've worked in logistics to end consumers my whole career, and accurately communicating when things WILL be there instead of when we HOPE they will be there is an important part of the process. I will say, when I reached out to Srixon directly, my contact there gave me a timeline of when he thought things would happen, and gave the caveat that it wasn't set in stone. Appreciate Ray, and all he did for me... I will follow up with him next week to see if things went as planned.

On the 3 wood front, I found a Z45 with a shaft I like on eBay and have a couple hours left on the auction... if I can toss a stop gap in my bag for under $100, I will be very happy. I appreciate the suggestion. 

Hope you buy the Z45 3 wood at your 'happy price' and share your experience on here...if you like the shaft, reckon you may be on to something good. The heads are good, better with the right shaft. Yeah, Captain obvious, I am. I find the stock Srixon shafts in the 45 models very soft to flex.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Hope you buy the Z45 3 wood at your 'happy price' and share your experience on here...if you like the shaft, reckon you may be on to something good. The heads are good, better with the right shaft. Yeah, Captain obvious, I am. I find the stock Srixon shafts in the 45 models very soft to flex.

Well, I wasn’t paying attention and bought an F85… no idea how it’s different, but it was $85 after shipping.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I have a ZX 5 Wood and a TSi2 at the same loft. Center struck shots between the two are very similar. ZX is higher launch with lower spin. TSi more penetrating flight with higher spin. The difference is about 500 rpm but I seem similar distance from the two. Where the ZX doesn't stand up to the TSi is off center hits. The spin kicks up on the ZX a ton and goes nowhere and feels like crap whereas the TSi seems to be hot everywhere and doesn't feel nearly as bad on off center strikes. I've only been through two sessions on the quad with the ZX this far so still giving it a fair shake, but at this point it doesn't look like it's going to knock my Titleist out of the bag like the zx7 driver did.

A couple items to note, the 5 Wood doesn't have the carbon crown like the 3 woods that were used in the test you referenced. So the 5 Wood might not be as good. Last, if you do give them a go there is no reason not to get one with the Miyazaki shafts. At no upcharge they are as good as anything on the market. Kori is the low launch, Mizore is low mid launch, Mizu is mid launch and Kiri is high launch. Go for one of those shafts in your preferred launch weight and flex and I promise it will be as good as anything you have it at an absolute steal of a price.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

10 minutes ago, ProjectX said:

I have a ZX 5 Wood and a TSi2 at the same loft. Center struck shots between the two are very similar. ZX is higher launch with lower spin. TSi more penetrating flight with higher spin. The difference is about 500 rpm but I seem similar distance from the two. Where the ZX doesn't stand up to the TSi is off center hits. The spin kicks up on the ZX a ton and goes nowhere and feels like crap whereas the TSi seems to be hot everywhere and doesn't feel nearly as bad on off center strikes. I've only been through two sessions on the quad with the ZX this far so still giving it a fair shake, but at this point it doesn't look like it's going to knock my Titleist out of the bag like the zx7 driver did.

A couple items to note, the 5 Wood doesn't have the carbon crown like the 3 woods that were used in the test you referenced. So the 5 Wood might not be as good. Last, if you do give them a go there is no reason not to get one with the Miyazaki shafts. At no upcharge they are as good as anything on the market. Kori is the low launch, Mizore is low mid launch, Mizu is mid launch and Kiri is high launch. Go for one of those shafts in your preferred launch weight and flex and I promise it will be as good as anything you have it at an absolute steal of a price.

Good stuff. Thanks.

I have a PXG proto 3 wood that just spins too much and losing distance. Looking for a lower spin option from the fairway. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 8/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, Rapidcat said:

The F85 is my new best friend.. I was 3 under with it on 3 holes yesterday (Birdie, par, eagle)... great tee club. Thanks for the recommendation... I'm very happy to have it in the bag. (eagle below)

• Like 3

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

They are on sale on srixons site. Sadly only one 80g option for a 7w

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Very tempted to pull the trigger at this price. Wish some one who has hit the 7w could speak to it. 

60C9BABF-7445-4247-AC50-8130D7E42CD4.png

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

They have an odd head shape - not just that bump on the crown like an old Cleveland wood - but they have a triangle shape at address with that elongated rear like the 2016 Callaway Big Bertha (red/black) woods.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im back. Maybe some posters wanted feedback about the 7 wood.  Club looks awesome and shape doesn’t bother me at all. It launches high and is very long. Not much shorter than my 3 wood… problem is for me that I can’t hit a fade at all with it, which is the shot I mostly play with woods. It is sitting just a bit closed and it bothers me like crazy… 

33ED7900-B4F0-4CC6-AB35-D6B3CF04AEF7.jpeg

• Thanks 1