Bit confused about my sequencing, vids

hammersia

Been working quite hard on a few things:

1) Stronger grip and a flat wrist

2) Getting the club more in front of me, by standing a bit closer to the ball and making my first move the left shoulder going down (and from “in” pushing outwards if that makes sense)

3) Staying centred with my right hip going more “up” than back (re Harrington videos), low and slow for every club at the start of the backswing

4) Actively clearing the left side and trying to get the right shoulder down and through

5) Feeling the grip pressure more in the right hand (I’m naturally left handed) to try to reduce excessive lag / slow the transition.

These swings are NOT intentionally 3/4, they feel pretty full to me, my sequencing would appear “off” and my weak shot is a straight pull. I get to impact and it all turns into a bit of a collapsing heave. 

Not sure where I’m going wrong, any thoughts please, I’m keen on the Harrington videos. Cheers 👍 (edit: added youtube versions as seems to be embed problems at the moment)

Edited by hammersia
Embed

13 hours ago, hammersia said:

Been working quite hard on a few things:

1) Stronger grip and a flat wrist

2) Getting the club more in front of me, by standing a bit closer to the ball and making my first move the left shoulder going down (and from “in” pushing outwards if that makes sense)

3) Staying centred with my right hip going more “up” than back (re Harrington videos), low and slow for every club at the start of the backswing

4) Actively clearing the left side and trying to get the right shoulder down and through

5) Feeling the grip pressure more in the right hand (I’m naturally left handed) to try to reduce excessive lag / slow the transition.

These swings are NOT intentionally 3/4, they feel pretty full to me, my sequencing would appear “off” and my weak shot is a straight pull. I get to impact and it all turns into a bit of a collapsing heave. 

Not sure where I’m going wrong, any thoughts please, I’m keen on the Harrington videos. Cheers 👍 (edit: added youtube versions as seems to be embed problems at the moment)

FullSizeRender.mov 2.22 MB · 0 downloads FullSizeRender.mov 3.13 MB · 0 downloads

Some of those swing thoughts appear to harming you

Right hip more up and staying centred is giving you too little hip rotation a straight right leg very early and weight staying on the left side.

The low and slow and straight arms is giving the chicken wing right elbow once you move your arms across the chest. 

Elbow stuck behind coming down body has to be inactive/stall waiting for them to get in front.by then all angles lost club head gets close to the ground near your right foot.

• Like 1

Firstly, you're cramped at address. Give yourself a little more room. 

Low and slow is a terrible idea and it's stopping your wrists and elbows moving correctly. Instead feel like your wrists c0ck straight off the ball which will get you up and on plane better. Look at your right arm compared to Adam Scott (who's about as neutral as they come). 

P3-1.jpg.4bde57808f0495e975647719ac0a1cf9.jpg address.jpg.e1e19fcaf1d515900219e6618b037357.jpg

The low and slow is causing you to disconnect your arms from your pivot. Can you see the way your right elbow moves straight back and away from your side in the face on view? Also how you have no wrist c0ck?

fo.jpg.e3155dc8b04d59a2c1a8d2740e12f8a0.jpgASFO.jpg.d8740d2c1ecf4eec7d8daaf6a735de11.jpg

Watch this to get a better understanding of how the backswing works. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides

4 hours ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

Step 1. Learn to put the camera in the correct spot. Step 2. That funky right hand grip is causing pretty much everything discussed so far.

Grip.jpg

I have had words with my caddy about that

it isn’t as funky as it looks in that shot, it’s a Cowen prayer grip and tbh I get finger pain in the right hand with stronger positioning

Edited by hammersia

8 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Low and slow is a terrible idea and it's stopping your wrists and elbows moving correctly. Instead feel like your wrists c0ck straight off the ball which will get you up and on plane better. Look at your right arm compared to Adam Scott (who's about as neutral as they come). 

P3-1.jpg.4bde57808f0495e975647719ac0a1cf9.jpg address.jpg.e1e19fcaf1d515900219e6618b037357.jpg

The low and slow is causing you to disconnect your arms from your pivot. Can you see the way your right elbow moves straight back and away from your side in the face on view? Also how you have no wrist c0ck?

fo.jpg.e3155dc8b04d59a2c1a8d2740e12f8a0.jpgASFO.jpg.d8740d2c1ecf4eec7d8daaf6a735de11.jpg

Cheers, I’m following AMG actually and was working on the left shoulder “extension” video as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammersia said:

I have had words with my caddy about that

it isn’t as funky as it looks in that shot, it’s a Cowen prayer grip and tbh I get finger pain in the right hand with stronger positioning

Sorry to hear about your pain. I think Cowen was referring to bunker shots. That position will make it tough for a good wrist hinge and can lead to other things like having a tense right arm and open shoulders. Can you take that grip and have a soft right arm? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 12:30 PM, TheDeanAbides said:

I've been working on a better right hand grip, cocking the wrists, firstly as a drill presetting them:

Then as a full swing:

I know there's not as much c0ck as there could be, but it feels like a lot and my best shots now I do feel much more passive on the downswing.

Am I on the right track? Right elbow seems to fly a little less? I look slightly less stuck?

The consistency is NOT there at the moment, a lot of duck hooks when I committed to the move in a round.

8 minutes ago, hammersia said:

I've been working on a better right hand grip, cocking the wrists, firstly as a drill presetting them:

Then as a full swing:

I know there's not as much c0ck as there could be, but it feels like a lot and my best shots now I do feel much more passive on the downswing.

Am I on the right track? Right elbow seems to fly a little less? I look slightly less stuck?

The consistency is NOT there at the moment, a lot of duck hooks when I committed to the move in a round.

See how cramped you are here?

EDBBCC94-D1CE-420B-A83F-13A9B7FD9965.jpeg.77e8e6e195e081c8c20e791261f78291.jpeg

That's because you're not giving yourself enough time in transition to get your arms off your chest. Google Justin Rose 3 wood drill and add some of that into your routine. If you can keep your back to the target longer while you drop your arms behind you you'll have more room to rotate freely. 

Monte's bump, dump and turn video on YouTube will show this move too.

Shoulders and hips open at address.

right elbow rotated out too much at address.  That is telling you the people commenting on your grip are likely correct.

Backswing hip turn is restricted 

Right elbow sucking behind right hip

Right hip firing out early in transition 

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

@hammersia

My immediate thought(s). Latest video is MUCH better vis-a-vis takeaway/wrist c0ck.

Sergio has a very late release.

Stricker a very early release.

But they're both in very similar positions in the takeaway to each other but very different from your original position.

I've seen a few players who were pretty decent with their hands starting back before the club,,,,,,,,,, but very few.

Well done.

2073130749_WRXPLAYERANGLE.png.b43e322d1a7f68bc4802d913a0f70806.png

516341518_WRXSERGIOANGLE.png.eb4a9ef8ad9590729f969859d89bd248.png

1633254539_WRXSTRICKERANGLE.png.ea758c076b38d2f72de7aafc024984cf.png

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

51 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

@hammersia

My immediate thought(s). Latest video is MUCH better vis-a-vis takeaway/wrist c0ck.

Sergio has a very late release.

Stricker a very early release.

But they're both in very similar positions in the takeaway from you.

I've seen a few players who were pretty decent with their hands starting back before the club,,,,,,,,,, but very few.

Well done.

2073130749_WRXPLAYERANGLE.png.b43e322d1a7f68bc4802d913a0f70806.png

516341518_WRXSERGIOANGLE.png.eb4a9ef8ad9590729f969859d89bd248.png

1633254539_WRXSTRICKERANGLE.png.ea758c076b38d2f72de7aafc024984cf.png

Cheers, I was originally copying the Bobby Jones lagging club head takeaway:

Which may have been more relevant to hickory, I dunno, I could do the first part but always got stuck trying to c0ck after that. 

Anyway, yes, trying to make and ingrain the mental jump of breaking the wrists earlier. 

57 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Cheers, I was originally copying the Bobby Jones lagging club head takeaway:

Which may have been more relevant to hickory, I dunno, I could do the first part but always got stuck trying to c0ck after that. 

Anyway, yes, trying to make and ingrain the mental jump of breaking the wrists earlier. 

I fixed my post. I misspoke.

"But they're both (Sergio and Stricker) in very similar positions in the takeaway to each other but very different from your original position"

But I see you got the gist. and yes, I think Bobby may've been (early wrists) because of the hickory shafts.

Good luck going forward. 👍

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 10/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

Shoulders and hips open at address.

right elbow rotated out too much at address.  That is telling you the people commenting on your grip are likely correct.

Backswing hip turn is restricted 

Right elbow sucking behind right hip

Right hip firing out early in transition 

All great stuff! 

How to film your golf swing:

Down The Line

2 hours ago, hammersia said:

I’ve always wanted to do the skipping stone type moves but I’m naturally quite strongly left handed which makes it very difficult (not saying impossible, but very difficult).

I good lead-side feel is the Frisbee throw. Forearms stay together (or elbows or whatever you like), lead facing down, trail facing up, and send the Frisbee gliding just a couple off the ground. It's a super heavy Frisbee so you're using your pivot for power. 

Edited by johnrobison

On 10/11/2021 at 12:30 PM, TheDeanAbides said:

See how cramped you are here?

EDBBCC94-D1CE-420B-A83F-13A9B7FD9965.jpeg.77e8e6e195e081c8c20e791261f78291.jpeg

That's because you're not giving yourself enough time in transition to get your arms off your chest. Google Justin Rose 3 wood drill and add some of that into your routine. If you can keep your back to the target longer while you drop your arms behind you you'll have more room to rotate freely. 

Monte's bump, dump and turn video on YouTube will show this move too.

I've been trying to get this Rose separation / dump move working and completely failing to time / feel it. Hogan said about making the right hand drop as quick as possible? I've never managed that either.

I've just seen a Bobby Jones video where he is referring more to the right elbow dropping, I've tried that last night and that feels more like pulling straight down a bell rope with the elbow and that seemed to work, felt like the club was really whipping round as a reaction rather than guiding it.

Is that the same thing, pulling the right elbow down, as dumping the right hand down? (I could only try it indoors and I'm between LMs so I don't know where the ball was going).

25 minutes ago, hammersia said:

I've been trying to get this Rose separation / dump move working and completely failing to time / feel it. Hogan said about making the right hand drop as quick as possible? I've never managed that either.

I've just seen a Bobby Jones video where he is referring more to the right elbow dropping, I've tried that last night and that feels more like pulling straight down a bell rope with the elbow and that seemed to work, felt like the club was really whipping round as a reaction rather than guiding it.

Is that the same thing, pulling the right elbow down, as dumping the right hand down? (I could only try it indoors and I'm between LMs so I don't know where the ball was going).

It depends. As long as your right arm is straightening then it's okay, but if your right elbow is coming in closer to your body you're doing it wrong. 

3 hours ago, hammersia said:

The ball is out in front of you, if you drop your left arm you're not going to be on the same plane as the ball. Same thing with dropping your right elbow.

It's not a pull with the left arm, a push with the right arm, not a harpoon, ring the church bell or tug the rope.  It's not a cast, the uncocking doesn't start with the hands and wrists. The tricep  uncocks the elbow which snaps the hands. 

The body swings the arms and the hands swing the club. When you throw a punch your right shoulder gets your arm in position. 

430986624_Austinrope.gif.0a447ee001028ae9ad673301da430ca6.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zitlow said:

The ball is out in front of you, if you drop your left arm you're not going to be on the same plane as the ball. Same thing with dropping your right elbow.

It's not a pull with the left arm, a push with the right arm, not a harpoon, ring the church bell or tug the rope.  It's not a cast, the uncocking doesn't start with the hands and wrists. The tricep  uncocks the elbow which snaps the hands. 

The body swings the arms and the hands swing the club. When you throw a punch your right shoulder gets your arm in position. 

430986624_Austinrope.gif.0a447ee001028ae9ad673301da430ca6.gif

Well great, I'm sure he's not at all confused now and Justin Rose clearly has no idea what he's doing. 

The drill works in conjunction with the pivot. It's a FEEL. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides

@TheDeanAbidesThere's nothing confusing about the right shoulder swinging the right arm into position. You do it when you throw a baseball or football.

His right side was paralyzed so he's doing it lefthanded. 

Guys like Justin Rose are super talented and have perfected their imperfections but even they struggle from time to time. 

Edited by Zitlow