Dr Kwon

zacgolf

10 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

I think that from written instruction most drills will not be done correctly.  

I noticed that Dr. Kwon corrects Bredon's version of a drill at the end of this video:

LOL are we on the same page here?

The bane of 99% of all golfers is using the shoulders as a power source. That is Breden’s problem and it’s the one thing you don’t 2-3 year old phenoms on instagram doing. Whoever creates a training aid that corrects this problem will be very wealthy if patented properly. 

14 minutes ago, airjammer said:

The bane of 99% of all golfers is using the shoulders as a power source.

Speaking for myself, the bane is I don't delegate enough to the lead side. Kwon tells guy to "pull more with lead shoulder", yeah that's me and it's also me that lead hip and leg lack too. He also talks about torso and shoulder girdle as separate entities, something echoed by AMG, that's me too where I'm all about getting right side lined up and firing away. But it takes lead side,& torso to get right lined up. It's taken me forever to settle on this but I find myself working to get left side of body up to the having dexterity & speed of right. Changes entire feel of swing, can be uncomfortable but it's showing results. 

32 minutes ago, airjammer said:

Here is the issue that nobody seems to be able to answer for free is wrist conditions. All of Dana’s students have flat left wrists at the top…imo his students may be throwing their arms up with their body but the wrist conditions are manipulated. So obviously you can’t have relaxed arms and wrists while just throwing your arms behind you..there has to be some structure there. I asked the wrist conditions question and Brenden replied he need to get kwon and jon sinclair together..what that means I don’t know. 

I’ve always hit the ball very very well with the step drills but I have never been able to replicate that into nonstep swings. I’ve even played rounds with just doing step swings and played fine not great. The problem for me Is that the size of the steps vary greatly while on the course so my timing varies greatly. I’ve been recently on a gasp system and my pressures are fine in my swings so the step drills are really different as far as pressures are concerned. There is a feeling that I have always felt doing the step swings but I’ve never been able to feel where the power source when it relates to my arms came from until this week. In my course swing my arms get trapped by my outracing chest and hips…the step swing I can pull my arms back in front of me because I have something braced to pull from. This week I felt and realized that in my step swing I pull from a braced or what feels like tensed up left leg. 

It reminded me of a old baseball conversation I had with a old high school coach that was a former player just helping out. He threw close to 90 and I was a junk pitcher that topped out close to 70. We had a conversation one day where he told me he was using his lead leg once it was planted to pull the rest of the body thru the pitch. He said he even felt pull in his lead ankle. I never gave it much thought until this week. 

Sorry for the rambling 

I have thought of taking the step drill onto the course but have never done it...  Over the years I have noticed that drills that I do whether from an instructor, book or video always seem to help right away with my 'real' swing and then after a while I develop the drill into a habit which unfortunately is a completely separate habit from my actual swing.  This seems to be happening with the step drills for me as I do them.  LOL maybe if I just change my swing to step drill only...  The step drill swing shows a better weight transfer then f'd up normal swing where I have this weird reverse hip move at the top.

Interesting about the high school coach using his lead leg to pull his arm through!  I have never heard of such a thing before but it makes sense.  I have made a lot of swings pulling with my lead arm and also a lot of lead arm only type drills but never any focus on lead leg pulling.  Straightening but not pulling.  Ha ha I have not noticed such a feeling while doing the drills but I will pay attention and see if something like that is there.  Do you find that the feel is one that you can reproduce or just something that you notice at times?  I have definitely found that trying to reproduce good feels that I get on swings can be very counter productive...

6 minutes ago, rchang72 said:

This was a very detailed discussion with Dr. Kwon about how he got into golf mechanics and the two are drill Interesting how he in part 2 talks about the wrists taking care of themselves 

I posted this plus a third on first page already fyi.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

On 12/15/2021 at 7:30 AM, glk said:

Brendon kwonified.     https://www.instagram.com/p/CXCZPFQvqmk/

links to dr kwon talk with mike Beaumont.   Over two hours so can chunk up watching if interested.

Very interesting conversation. A few take aways…he basically says working on wrist movements especially in transition is a waste of time..like everything else it’s just reactionary. You definitely shouldn’t try to cast the club on purpose but he said sometimes he does it though even though he knows not to do it. Basically the body didn’t work correctly. 

Also, lag is definitely something you want to have especially for speed production but it’s all reactionary to how the body is moving. 

I think most serious golfers have done most if not all of these drills at one time or another. Getting them to translate to your actual course golf swing has been next to impossible for me and everyone I’ve ever seen do the drills.  I hope  someday we learn the missing translation piece.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, airjammer said:

Very interesting conversation. A few take aways…he basically says working on wrist movements especially in transition is a waste of time..like everything else it’s just reactionary. You definitely shouldn’t try to cast the club on purpose but he said sometimes he does it though even though he knows not to do it. Basically the body didn’t work correctly. 

Also, lag is definitely something you want to have especially for speed production but it’s all reactionary to how the body is moving. 

I think most serious golfers have done most if not all of these drills at one time or another. Getting them to translate to your actual course golf swing has been next to impossible for me and everyone I’ve ever seen do the drills.  I hope  someday we learn the missing translation piece.  

I haven't seen Dr. Kwon but have worked and continue to work the step drills and rope swings (even bought a section of rope from his recommended site - knot and rope supply, 7 foot, 3/4 inch, double braided.     And I started with (and continue to do) the continuous swings from left arm to right arm parallel starting with a forward swing.     As he told Brendon, if it feels awkward then you are doing something incorrectly.

Things I learned from just this - you do need relaxed but not wet noodle wrists to allow them to react to the motion,  learning to use the body versus the arms takes time alone, if you get the club inside or outside then expect it to feel awkward, having some motion in the feet (lifting the heels or even mini steps) helps to get the rhythm and free things up, it can "feel" bouncy with the lower body but as he noted your head isn't going to dip,  slow is good to start so you can really feel the shift/pressure move before the club swings which is essentially the point,  I sense a little pause in the change of motion (you can see Brandon get it as he got into the continuous swings , I learned that I had a tendency to lift the club in the takeaway versus swing it back - this would cause me to turn flatter than my setup - when I swing my arms with the body my hands feel much lower, longer on the takeaway and left shoulder goes around and down without thinking about it.

Dana is teaching Brendon somethings on the takeaway here which is about 6 months prior to Brendon see Dr. Kwon - talks a bit about wrists reacting versus conscious movement.   I think some of this stuff benefited Brendon when he had his visit.      Like anything motion changing this takes time, time to do the drills well, time to take it to the course - Brendon posted a short video on him demoing the drills - can still see he has some squat/arm pull going on.  Of course Brendon has loaded his brain with so many motions it is amazing that he still has a golf swing, lol.

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

pretty awesome new video. Brendens swing looks fantastic. Shots fired at the GG crowd; also curious how many recoiled at seeing the head tip backwards at the top of the swing. Seeing the amount of effort needed to see the correct backswing is pretty enlightening.

Edited by rondo01
  • Thanks 1

@rondo01 the video you posted reminded me a lot of what I saw when I was a member of AMG+.  Dr. Kwon's drill seems to hit the same points.  I like Dr. Kwon's approach a lot based on what I have seen.  The drill seems really straight forward but I do find it rather difficult to perform.  LOL I will keep working at it and maybe I can start to get it at some point.

1 hour ago, rondo01 said:

pretty awesome new video. Brendens swing looks fantastic. Shots fired at the GG crowd; also curious how many recoiled at seeing the head tip backwards at the top of the swing. Seeing the amount of effort needed to see the correct backswing is pretty enlightening.

Massive difference in his backswing. He looks like a player

3 hours ago, rondo01 said:

looks like it’s more like a one piece backswing where the arms are pretty inactive in front and the body brings them back. 

For any other subscribers to GSA, what has seemed to help me the most is blending the Kwon step drills with Tyler's delivery position drills. First do the delivery pump drills so you educate your body on where that position is (and monitor on video to make sure you're getting there correctly). Then do step drills blended to pump into the delivery position. Then do continuous step drills making sure you're passing through the delivery position on each downswing. Lastly is just making a regular swing trying to incorporate all those feelings (and constantly monitoring on video). For me, making sure I was passing through a checkpoint window like delivery ensured I kept everything on track, but also provided an important feedback feeling for a swing without stepping. 

Edit: @6:20 in the latest video Dr. Kwon holds Brandon's driver forcing him to lead with the body. This is the exact same feel I use on both sides for both backswing and downswing. Sort of a variation of the Sergio ring the bell, just imagine a bell behind you on your trail side instead of a bell above you. 

Edited by Simpsonia

5 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

For any other subscribers to GSA, what has seemed to help me the most is blending the Kwon step drills with Tyler's delivery position drills. First do the delivery pump drills so you educate your body on where that position is (and monitor on video to make sure you're getting there correctly). Then do step drills blended to pump into the delivery position. Then do continuous step drills making sure you're passing through the delivery position on each downswing. Lastly is just making a regular swing trying to incorporate all those feelings (and constantly monitoring on video). For me, making sure I was passing through a checkpoint window like delivery ensured I kept everything on track, but also provided an important feedback feeling for a swing without stepping. 

Edit: @6:20 in the latest video Dr. Kwon holds Brandon's driver forcing him to lead with the body. This is the exact same feel I use on both sides for both backswing and downswing. Sort of a variation of the Sergio ring the bell, just imagine a bell behind you on your trail side instead of a bell above you. 

I was not familiar with GSA so I took a look at one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pmjIW9nfrw  Seems to be very similar ideas to AMG and looks to me like it would fit in well with Dr. Kwon's stuff.  At any rate it seems like you are on a path to find out!  I guess that one concern I would have would be the idea expressed in the Kwon video of throwing the arms off of the body in the through swing, I am not sure that getting technical about positions of the arms and hands would conducive to that?

18 hours ago, Nels55 said:

I was not familiar with GSA so I took a look at one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pmjIW9nfrw  Seems to be very similar ideas to AMG and looks to me like it would fit in well with Dr. Kwon's stuff.  At any rate it seems like you are on a path to find out!  I guess that one concern I would have would be the idea expressed in the Kwon video of throwing the arms off of the body in the through swing, I am not sure that getting technical about positions of the arms and hands would conducive to that?

Hmm it's kind of hard to explain. I'm not getting super technical about positions of the arms and hands necessarily. Or maybe I am. Essentially my only thought from the top of the swing is to move to the delivery position, but do it in a body driven manner. But the biggest problem with position based checkpoints is getting there and then what comes after in a dynamic manner, especially when you don't have in-person coaching. The continuous swing/step drills help me keep what comes before and after that delivery position dynamic and body-driven and helped refine intents that a static position couldn't on its own.

Probably as clear as mud but it has worked wonders for me so far. I obsessively film all my daily practice sessions, and on film, it's transformed my former early extension, stall, flip into something that actually resembles an efficient pivot driven swing with a stable club-face. I just need to keep grooving the motion to ingrain it, and keep working on the release mechanics to fix the shanks that have started to creep in. 

Edited by Simpsonia
  • Like 1

I been doing the lateral step drill for few years it’s really help improve my swing speed   I had a hard time coordinating my arms and leg at first    It’s still a bit awkward if for me   I don’t step as much back with my right leg and I tend to stomp a bit more with my left leg   I sometime do the drill just swinging with my left arm and I feel I can generate enough swoosh 

On 12/20/2021 at 11:12 AM, glk said:

I haven't seen Dr. Kwon but have worked and continue to work the step drills and rope swings (even bought a section of rope from his recommended site - knot and rope supply, 7 foot, 3/4 inch, double braided.     And I started with (and continue to do) the continuous swings from left arm to right arm parallel starting with a forward swing.     As he told Brendon, if it feels awkward then you are doing something incorrectly.

Things I learned from just this - you do need relaxed but not wet noodle wrists to allow them to react to the motion,  learning to use the body versus the arms takes time alone, if you get the club inside or outside then expect it to feel awkward, having some motion in the feet (lifting the heels or even mini steps) helps to get the rhythm and free things up, it can "feel" bouncy with the lower body but as he noted your head isn't going to dip,  slow is good to start so you can really feel the shift/pressure move before the club swings which is essentially the point,  I sense a little pause in the change of motion (you can see Brandon get it as he got into the continuous swings , I learned that I had a tendency to lift the club in the takeaway versus swing it back - this would cause me to turn flatter than my setup - when I swing my arms with the body my hands feel much lower, longer on the takeaway and left shoulder goes around and down without thinking about it.

Dana is teaching Brendon somethings on the takeaway here which is about 6 months prior to Brendon see Dr. Kwon - talks a bit about wrists reacting versus conscious movement.   I think some of this stuff benefited Brendon when he had his visit.      Like anything motion changing this takes time, time to do the drills well, time to take it to the course - Brendon posted a short video on him demoing the drills - can still see he has some squat/arm pull going on.  Of course Brendon has loaded his brain with so many motions it is amazing that he still has a golf swing, lol.

In the Dr. Kwon videos of the step drills with Brandon it looks Brandon's default move to start the DS is a drop where the left arm was sliding down his torso and squat move Dahlquist was teaching a few months ago. Not limited to DD, I've seen videos of several swing "experts" teaching what looks like to me as a cast, drop the left arm and squat move to start the downswing. 

539786569_STAGEXSwingdrillwithDrKwon.TofixtakeawayandstartyourGOLFswingCORRECTLY.mp4_snapshot_04.20_2021_12.24_10_33_54.jpg.1fcc53a927af7bfd2c5c5ed87ddbe159.jpg

On 12/20/2021 at 9:12 AM, glk said:

What are these rope swings are you referring to? Thanks. 

1 minute ago, yoose said:

What are these rope swings are you referring to? Thanks. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCPA5DwzTSN/

Dr. Kwon has some of his students swinging the rope as part of their swings.    You can't leverage a rope so you need to learn to use your body to swing arms - Kennedy P doing rope swings with step - last tab.  (Brendon is also doing rope swings in his last tab on Dr. Kwon's IG).    https://www.instagram.com/p/CXE3REvPIZV/

Order info - it is a pretty hefty piece of rope

knotandrope.com. Double-braid nylon. 3/4 in diameter  7 Foot (when folded 5i length)
about $20 including shipping.
  • Thanks 2

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

2 hours ago, Zitlow said:

In the Dr. Kwon videos of the step drills with Brandon it looks Brandon's default move to start the DS is a drop where the left arm was sliding down his torso and squat move Dahlquist was teaching a few months ago. Not limited to DD, I've seen videos of several swing "experts" teaching what looks like to me as a cast, drop the left arm and squat move to start the downswing. 

539786569_STAGEXSwingdrillwithDrKwon.TofixtakeawayandstartyourGOLFswingCORRECTLY.mp4_snapshot_04.20_2021_12.24_10_33_54.jpg.1fcc53a927af7bfd2c5c5ed87ddbe159.jpg

I've not seen DD teaching a squat move - he teaches off of Dr Kwon - Brendon did that move cause he failed to ever recenter before rotating.    Here's a lesson from about a year ago - he's teaching a shift,rotate,shift, rotate pattern  - note the discussion starting around 2:40.  land and rotate.  No talk about squat and pull - DD even says he wants  the guy to feel like he does nothing with his legs.   https://www.instagram.com/p/CDow8ZhD-pD/

Edited by glk

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

I've unfortunately been an arm swinger my entire golfing life and stumbled across Dr. Kwon and Zen Golf Mechanic in an effort to develop more of a body swing.  Of all the stuff I've tried the "Rope Drill" is by far my favorite.  If you listen to the Mike Beaumont interviews Dr. Kwon talks about the rope drill being one of the best ways to feel and ingrain the body swing.  I do all the step drills but can't get enough of the rope drill.  YMMV.

• Like 1

@glkIt was a few months maybe a year ago when I saw the DD video teaching someone to slide their left arm down and shaft down while squatting. I don't have the time or inclination to find it. I did a quick search of the wall drill and ran across a video by GG teaching what I saw DD teaching. Sliding the left arm down their right side, sliding the club head down the wall while squatting.

I think Dr. Kwon's teaching is worthwhile. Don't hate on me but I wouldn't walk across the street to take a free lesson from DD or GG. 

1 hour ago, glk said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCPA5DwzTSN/

Dr. Kwon has some of his students swinging the rope as part of their swings.    You can't leverage a rope so you need to learn to use your body to swing arms - Kennedy P doing rope swings with step - last tab.  (Brendon is also doing rope swings in his last tab on Dr. Kwon's IG).    https://www.instagram.com/p/CXE3REvPIZV/

Order info - it is a pretty hefty piece of rope

knotandrope.com. Double-braid nylon. 3/4 in diameter  7 Foot (when folded 5i length)
about $20 including shipping.

Thanks for the link. Did you have them whip the ends or DIY it? Seems like you can just tape it up. Shipping is $15+ for me 😞 going to see if I can find it locally. 

15 minutes ago, yoose said:

Thanks for the link. Did you have them whip the ends or DIY it? Seems like you can just tape it up. Shipping is $15+ for me 😞 going to see if I can find it locally. 

No need to tape it if you order from them.   I never found anything close to it at big box hardwares.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

46 minutes ago, Zitlow said:

@glkIt was a few months maybe a year ago when I saw the DD video teaching someone to slide their left arm down and shaft down while squatting. I don't have the time or inclination to find it. I did a quick search of the wall drill and ran across a video by GG teaching what I saw DD teaching. Sliding the left arm down their right side, sliding the club head down the wall while squatting.

I think Dr. Kwon's teaching is worthwhile. Don't hate on me but I wouldn't walk across the street to take a free lesson from DD or GG. 

To each their own.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified