2022 Course Conditions - Phoenix Area

azgolfer44

2 hours ago, vallygolf said:

You would probably take a pass.  He is THAT guy.  There is a reason he has a stimp, he is a freaking know it all.  At lunch it was all we could do to restrain him from going "full science stimp mode" on the guys claiming 16.  He is sitting there fuming about the numbers being exponential, and their lack of basic science knowledge.  14 is only playable on a flat surface and even then you would have to be a tour pro......you start to see why at times it can be entertaining to be around him.

I had no idea you were friends with Bryson! Haha, that’s awesome. I really do get a kick out of what makes people tick. I probably would enjoy it, or get a kick out of driving someone like that nuts as well. 🤣😜

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

I had no idea you were friends with Bryson! Haha, that’s awesome. I really do get a kick out of what makes people tick. I probably would enjoy it, or get a kick out of driving someone like that nuts as well. 🤣😜

I went to US Open the first round caught Bryson on the practice OMG what a

weirdo the things he was measuring etc

Edited by cbbaron
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Will do.

As for Mich:  Some things changed - so made some modifications.

We are going up for Indy 500 and Brickhouse 200 - I won a charity event that has VIP everything for the events; never been so should be interesting.  

So we are leaving from Indy up north to Mi.  Plan is to stop and visit Notre Dame for the nostalgia.  

Our first stop will be American Dunes.  Then we are going to drive up to Gaylord.  This is the main change - a friend reached out to us and told us to just use his cabin which is just outside of Gaylord.  So instead of moving multiple places (we had 3 hotels booked) we will stay in one place for free.  But we do have to drive longer now - but huge savings.  

So Day 2 is 36 at Treetops (premier and Signature)

Day 3 is going to be 36 at Arcadia (South, then Bluffs)

Day 4 is Forest Dunes

Day 5 (leaving day) is The Loop - Red-Even/Black-Odd  --- not sure what this means?

On Day 4, we can possibly go play the par 3 at Treetops if we are not too worn out.

Thanks again for your help

Nice....I'm from Michigan originally and interned at Garland Golf Resort in Lewiston which is just south of Gaylord by 40 minutes back when I was in the golf program.  Treetops is awesome and I think you will like those courses quite a bit.  Forest Dunes is one of my favorite courses I have played....such a great golf layout. I would highly recommend the par 3 course as it puts most others to shame.    Have a great trip!

• Like 1

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Quintero today. The greens are about a month out from aeration. You can still see the punch pattern but not sandy at all. Always fun playing bent grass greens.  The rest of the course is in generally good shape, a little crispy in a few spots around the edges. Bunkers are really good. Complimentary popsicles after the round are a nice touch. 🙂.  Well worth the drive this time of year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

It's in average summer shape not great, not bad. A few baked out fairways, greens a little bumpy but not terrible by any means.

... Been battling bronchitis so didn't play for almost 3 weeks and was a little surprised at the shape the Raven is in. Your above is pretty much the same description. A few baked out fairways with some vertical cutting and the grass just doesn't seem to be growing in on the greens as they are still between rye and bermuda, making them bumpier and slower than normal. Nothing egregious but some putts wander when slowing down, so just not up to normal Raven standards. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

12 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Been battling bronchitis so didn't play for almost 3 weeks and was a little surprised at the shape the Raven is in. Your above is pretty much the same description. A few baked out fairways with some vertical cutting and the grass just doesn't seem to be growing in on the greens as they are still between rye and bermuda, making them bumpier and slower than normal. Nothing egregious but some putts wander when slowing down, so just not up to normal Raven standards. 

It’s defiantly been a bit of a rough transition for most courses this year. 

• Like 1

Red mountain ranch today, greens rolling very nicely, some fairways a little thin but not bare, some really nice green side rough, decent sand in the one bunker I was in. 

• Like 1

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Poston Butte - Fairways for the most part good with some areas of patchiness and had to roll a few feet to get grass.  Greens still showed aeration marks and were not cut or rolled, so they were slow and bumpy; bunkers were crispy and compacted but actually played fine.  For $30ish early morning and a 3:50 round it was good enough.

• Like 1

... The Raven will be aerating on 7/12 and obviously closed that day. As always "it should be back to normal in two weeks" but I find it is more like 3 to 4 but we shall see. 

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro today. Average summer conditions at best. Greens were grainy and patchy. Didn't really expect to make anything outside of 5 feet.  Could have been the guy on the other end of the putter though. Fairways were kind of the same, plenty of bare dirt lies. This course isn't burnt out at all, the Bermuda grass just isn't there yet. Bunkers and tee boxes are fine. Played with a guy last week that said Cholla was in great shape. Cholla is closed for 2-3 weeks for summer maintenance now. 

... Since I have a summer Arcis membership I tested out the aerated greens at Raven today and oh boy they don't mess around. Heavily sanded and BIG ole holes so s-l-o-w and very BuMpY. Had 3 birdies on the back and two of them wandered one way then the other getting a lucky bounce at the hole. I will probably wait at least another 2 weeks before heading back out there. 

3 hours ago, hackeraz said:

Any suggestions for a sub $60 round Sunday morning for a single? I'm up in North Scottsdale but happy to travel half hour to forty minutes if needed. Just looking for something in decent summer shape and fun. 

Based on your ask - Southern Dunes or Copper Canyon - otherwise most other places are in or coming out of aerification -or- more expensive.

Prescott Country Club this morning. Overall the course is in good shape. A few holes on the back had some burn out, 15-17, but not bad at all compared to valley courses. Bunkers were a little thin and inconsistent. Greens are nearly perfect, not too fast and not too slow, rolling very true. Tee'd off at 0920, 74 degrees, finished in 340 and it was 85 degrees. 

• Like 2

Founders course at Verrado today - in great shape tee to green. The aeration took quite well.  The greens are slower than normal, but still rolled decent.  There are random bad patches in fairways or green, but a short move and it's fine.  

Ridiculously hot and POP was dumb at 445!  Who the F, thinks it's ok to play slow in 115.   Marshall said they told the groups to move multiple times, but it didn't work.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Sunridge Canyon today...my first trip around. Teed off at 6:40 to really soft conditions with lots of mud balls. Fairways were struggling on many holes, greens were decent but slowish. Best looking bunkers I have seen, although I didn't have any opportunities to play from them. A true out and back course...mostly downhill going out and uphill coming home. I think this course is only open 4 days a week in the summer and they close August 1 and reopen October 1.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AZ_JHWK said:

Sunridge Canyon today...my first trip around. Teed off at 6:40 to really soft conditions with lots of mud balls. Fairways were struggling on many holes, greens were decent but slowish. Best looking bunkers I have seen, although I didn't have any opportunities to play from them. A true out and back course...mostly downhill going out and uphill coming home. I think this course is only open 4 days a week in the summer and they close August 1 and reopen October 1.

Thanks. I've been thinking of trying it out next weekend as it's one of the very few remaining public courses in Maricopa county that I haven't played yet. The AZ resident rate of $65+$7 BS fee+tax is as cheap as I think it's gonna get on a weekend morning, I remember checking last month and it was $75-$80+.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:03 PM, chisag said:

... Since I have a summer Arcis membership I tested out the aerated greens at Raven today and oh boy they don't mess around. Heavily sanded and BIG ole holes so s-l-o-w and very BuMpY. Had 3 birdies on the back and two of them wandered one way then the other getting a lucky bounce at the hole. I will probably wait at least another 2 weeks before heading back out there. 

... OK, I lied. A friend wanted to play Raven Monday so I joined him. Greens are a little bit better but still very bumpy and slow. I imagine Aug 1st is a decent target date for the greens to be playable again. An interesting side note is I made a ton of putts on the front that I would call good luck as the ball bounced back and forth but found the hole for a couple birdies and par saves. On the back it was the complete opposite as every putt bounced off line. My pard had a 10' eagle putt on #12 that hopped about 5" in the air a few inches off his putter. 

• Like 1

Talking Stick O'Odham today. This course just re-opened today after a 2-week closure for aeration. Greens were slow and bumpy as I expected, not sandy at all and very receptive to most shots. The rest of the course was in pretty good shape, including bunkers. This is sort of a feel-good course for your game. Lots of room off the tee and fairly large greens. Just don't worry about putting stats for a few weeks. 

On 7/19/2022 at 11:13 AM, chisag said:

... OK, I lied. A friend wanted to play Raven Monday so I joined him. Greens are a little bit better but still very bumpy and slow. I imagine Aug 1st is a decent target date for the greens to be playable again. An interesting side note is I made a ton of putts on the front that I would call good luck as the ball bounced back and forth but found the hole for a couple birdies and par saves. On the back it was the complete opposite as every putt bounced off line. My pard had a 10' eagle putt on #12 that hopped about 5" in the air a few inches off his putter. 

I played Raven last night.  It seemed like they fully resanded the greens again.  The punch holes seemed to be mostly gone but the greens were completely packed with sand.  I mean I'm talking so much sand it wouldn't have surprised me if they told me they sanded them that morning.  

I had a couple of longer putts and I hit them hard enough that they had a rooster tail of sand spraying off the ball.  

They seemed to roll OK (obviously extremely slow) but they at least held their line for the most part.  

I'm not sure what happened there.  If they just started out with a shitload of sand and it still hasn't gone down or if they started to lose them and had to reapply but man it was messy.  Way more messy than it should be for being a couple weeks out.  

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

2 hours ago, SilverBullets said:

I played Raven last night.  It seemed like they fully resanded the greens again.  The punch holes seemed to be mostly gone but the greens were completely packed with sand.  I mean I'm talking so much sand it wouldn't have surprised me if they told me they sanded them that morning. 

I'm not sure what happened there.  If they just started out with a shitload of sand and it still hasn't gone down or if they started to lose them and had to reapply but man it was messy.  Way more messy than it should be for being a couple weeks out.  

... They must have re-sanded Tuesday morning because I played with a friend there on Monday and they were a little slow and a little bumpy but very little sand, if any. I have no idea what that is about but a real head scratcher because they were coming along nicely as of Monday and I figured one more week and they should be close to normal. I'll ask next time I am over there. 

... On a different note I played Aguila today for the first time since early May. I am not sure I have ever played a course that is so different in opposing seasons. Everything right now is green and lush and the greens are a little slow and not much roll in the fairways (aerated recently) compared to a completely different winter course with the dormant rough, hard fast fairways and usually pretty fast greens. And just as the greens are recovering from the last aeration they aerate again August 8th and 9th. 

Probably should have put this here, seems to fit better. 

Playing Ambiente Sunday morning. Looking for something Saturday after 2pm. Boulders, Eagle Mountain, or ? Looking for north valley and under 75.  Cheaper the better but trying to avoid something that’s bare and burnt out. Orange Tree is decent rate but haven’t been on that track for ages. Is it worth 50? 

Dinosaur Mtn. today. Greens are about a week out from aeration. Green fees were about $10 cheaper than normal as a result. They did a great job; I didn't see any holes and the sand was not evident on the surface. There were plenty of signs at the clubhouse warning of slow and bumpy conditions. We teed off at 7:30 and got around in under 4 hours. The rest of the course was about average condition-wise for this time of year.

• Like 1

Camelback Ambiente yesterday. After all the rain Saturday the range was closed (under water) and the washes were full and really moving, definitely narrowed the course a bit. Otherwise it was in really good condition and now I understand the hype this track gets. Greens were fairly quick and very true. Looking forward to getting back out to this one again. 

• Like 1