2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New irons for high handicapper?

StrongTR

You've gotten lots of good advice already which I'll second. I've hit old TaylorMade RAC irons, SIM2 irons, and most recently Mizuno MP-4's since beginning golfing last summer. I also got fit and hit all the newer forgiving player irons (P770, P790, Apex, Hot Metals, T200) and honestly I think feel and more modern lofts aside, there wasn't any significant improvement in forgiveness on bad strikes between the RAC irons and the newer models (this is a much older cavity back from the mid 2000's).

Anyways, rambling aside, the biggest thing you could do is make sure your irons are the correct length/lie for your physical dimensions (mainly height and floor to wrist measurements) as well as the correct shaft flex. Once you feel you've become a consistent player it may make more sense to get fit for a new shiny set, and that gives you something to work towards!

I will piggy back this 

I have Callaway X24 HOT irons (2011) I have been using for 8+ years. I bought them because they look awesome  (satin/black/graphite/orange) and I was 22 years old lol They have a great sweet spot and are pretty forgiving on mishits because they were made for mid-high handicappers.

They have graphite shafts and the only thing the instructor told me when I took a lesson was that I swing too hard/fast for graphite shafts and its a lot of the reason I have such a hard time producing consistent straight shots.

Ive also had people tell me to get a new set of irons because the technology in them now I will get 10-20 yards further out of each iron. Is that true? Are my irons so old now that they actually hurt my game? My current distances are:

4- 200-210

5-185-200

6-170-180

7- 155-165

8-145-155

9-135-140

Edited by akronswitness

I admit, I’m a new club junkie.  I like testing them, trying them, buying them and apparently selling them as I’ve done all of that many times over.

But, my son and I play in a competitive league and annually, one of the tournaments is a two-stick challenge.  Pick any two plus putter and see how you do.  I played 3w, 7i, putter.  The eye-opener for me was I scored only one stroke more than I did the previous day playing with a full bag.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:31 AM, Itsjustagame said:

If new clubs with motivate you to practice more, then yes they will help.

This is a fact! Sometimes it takes buying new fancy things to get / keep someone motivated. 

To the OP’s question - all major OEMs have a large selection of “Game Improvement” or as you get better “Players Distance” that are slightly more advanced than your Callaway XRs in terms of Ball Speed Production on off center hits, spin optimization, cg placement and other wonderful marketing jargon.

My recommendation is to try as many out as you can if possible, but don’t get hung up on making a purchase right away.  When you do buy them, enjoy them, don’t second guess your purchase. Have faith that no one club is significantly better than another in the current generation. 

Good luck - Hope you enjoy this beautiful game as much as most on this forum do.

PING G430 Max 8* Driver

PING G430 LST 14* Fairway Wood

PING G430 SFT 18* Fairway Wood

PING iCrossover 21.5* Hybrid

PING i500 5-UW

PING Glide 4.0 54* SW

PING Glide 4.0 58* LW

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 Putter

19 hours ago, akronswitness said:

I will piggy back this 

I have Callaway X24 HOT irons (2011) I have been using for 8+ years. I bought them because they look awesome  (satin/black/graphite/orange) and I was 22 years old lol They have a great sweet spot and are pretty forgiving on mishits because they were made for mid-high handicappers.

They have graphite shafts and the only thing the instructor told me when I took a lesson was that I swing too hard/fast for graphite shafts and its a lot of the reason I have such a hard time producing consistent straight shots.

Ive also had people tell me to get a new set of irons because the technology in them now I will get 10-20 yards further out of each iron. Is that true? Are my irons so old now that they actually hurt my game? My current distances are:

4- 200-210

5-185-200

6-170-180

7- 155-165

8-145-155

9-135-140

Are those carry yardages? If you’re hitting those yardages with stock shots consistently, I’m not sure I’d be changing those out for anything. You should be able to play courses between 6400 - 6800 yards with relative ease.

Of course bag appeal is real…enjoy whatever makes you happy on the course.

PING G430 Max 8* Driver

PING G430 LST 14* Fairway Wood

PING G430 SFT 18* Fairway Wood

PING iCrossover 21.5* Hybrid

PING i500 5-UW

PING Glide 4.0 54* SW

PING Glide 4.0 58* LW

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 Putter

Can’t stress enough taking lessons. All beginners think lessons are too expensive and instead go pound thousands of balls on the range. All you’re doing is ingraining bad habits and spending more on range balls than you would have on lessons. Trust me I know. I can’t undo the 15 plus years of bad habits. Take lessons from the beginning 

"Ain't the arrow, it's the Indian."  So said my Old Man.  Invest in lessons... find ONE teacher you like and trust, and don't look back. And I note you haven't mentioned putter or short game... likely if your putter fits you, you'll shave more strokes than changing irons.  Might start there.  Those XRs are perfectly good IF they fit you and have good grips. No major equipment change will alter the likely outcome at this stage of the game.  Practice, lessons, practice... that will reveal which clubs you need to tweak.  And it will, and eBay will be waiting.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:55 AM, akronswitness said:

I will piggy back this 

4- 200-210

5-185-200

6-170-180

7- 155-165

8-145-155

9-135-140

No, your irons aren't so "old" that they're hurting your game. And new irons are unlikely, same loft for same loft on pure strikes, to make much impact on your distances. Maybe a few yards for distance-type irons, but not 10-20. However, the same number stamped on the bottom of the iron may be a few degrees stronger than your current irons, so a new "6i" may go the farther than your current "6i", but it's entirely possible that it'll have the same loft of your current 5i lol...

Now, the instructor is probably right, that the irons are hurting your game, but not due to age. Most likely due to shaft weight/flex. Typical graphite iron shafts range from maybe 60 grams on the bottom end to 95-100 grams on the top end (steelfiber, which can be heavier, excluded), while typical steel shafts start at around 95 grams for "lightweight" shafts and range up to 130 grams or so for heavy shafts. Based on your distances, you'd probably be fit into a moderate-weight (105-120g) steel shaft, most likely in stiff, although an actual fitting could lead you lighter or heavier, or to different flex based on your physical characteristics and swing. 

You should consider new irons, but not due to distance. Probably because your current set is a poor fit for you.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 1/13/2022 at 7:22 AM, cyoungk said:

Hot take - don't get fitted. Just get a set of clubs that you can practice with.

I know the MO on this forum is to get fitted for everything but if you can't produce consistent swings then a fitting won't do you any good. A fitting is most appropriate when you have a consistent, repeatable swing that the fitter can optimize the clubs for.

I think instead of a fitting, use that money towards some lessons.

On 1/13/2022 at 7:49 AM, DHoch said:

I second this. Fitting only makes sense once you have a consistent swing/miss.

I'll respectfully disagree on these fitting takes. I think there are various components of OP's swing, especially if he has been playing over many years, that are absolutely repeatable. The basics of a golf swing, and how the shaft weight and flex "feel" and perform, IMHO don't change swing to swing. For a high-cap [and I am certainly one], what is inconsistent is actually making pure center face contact. 

I'd venture that swing-to-swing, you see very little variance in what my swing looks like on video. My transition looks the same every swing. I'd say that for the most part, swing speed and path are going to be fairly consistent as well, i.e. an iron swing not varying more than 1-2 mph, and my path is always a bit in->out. 

The ball doesn't always go the same direction or distance. Face angle, where on the face I make contact, whether I catch it a little thin or fat or off the toe, etc, is not consistent at all. 

But I got the fitting to get the club basically into the right range for my swing, and I practice to try to fix those inconsistencies of contact/direction. 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:01 PM, StrongTR said:

Thank you all!  I really appreciate all the feedback and insight.  Trust me when I say the lessons and extra rounds will be coming regardless.  My question is more to stay with the equipment I've been playing for a few seasons (which are appx 6 years old) or switch up to a newer model.  It sounds like there's enough positive feedback on the XR's to warrant hanging on to them a bit longer and only change it up if I feel like it.

It seems the XR are already GI or close enough that they shouldn't be causing you issues. It's not like you're playing 1960's blades. 

Lessons and practice will be far more "bang for the buck" than new irons. That said, if you have extra discretionary income burning a hole in your pocket and you want shiny new irons TOO, well who am I to judge? 😉

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

I'm not a high handicapper in my age group, 70+. I got Cleveland Launcher HB irons to keep it that way. It worked.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I’m from the “camp” that if you want new irons and believe it can help your game (or promote happiness) then go for it and get something new. 

There are thousands of posts on Golfwrx about new clubs, old clubs and everyone’s opinions and changing the arrow really doesn’t do much. 

In these times, if new clubs are going to provide greater fulfillment, buy and enjoy. If it doesn’t work out, sell or trade them in and get something else.

Best of luck in your search.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, ibluetooth said:

Are those carry yardages? If you’re hitting those yardages with stock shots consistently, I’m not sure I’d be changing those out for anything. You should be able to play courses between 6400 - 6800 yards with relative ease.

Of course bag appeal is real…enjoy whatever makes you happy on the course.

IDK Im looking at my Garmin golf watch app and those are the average distances for my irons so whatever I assume thats with roll.

Distance has never really been a big problem with me. Im a bigger guy (6'3 250) so generating distance is not an issue. Its keeping the ball straight and hitting it flush on a consistent basis. I have a tendency to hit my irons high, short and they fade right when I dont hit them flush. 

For instance if I get a hold of one with my 4iron, it will go 210-225 but the odds I swing hard enough, make perfect connection and hit it straight make that a 1 out of 5 shot.

I guess Im more concerned about shafts being graphite with my swing speed. I feel like Im killing myself with my irons and making it harder than it needs to be by not having the appropriate shafts for my swing.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:39 AM, betarhoalphadelta said:

No, your irons aren't so "old" that they're hurting your game. And new irons are unlikely, same loft for same loft on pure strikes, to make much impact on your distances. Maybe a few yards for distance-type irons, but not 10-20. However, the same number stamped on the bottom of the iron may be a few degrees stronger than your current irons, so a new "6i" may go the farther than your current "6i", but it's entirely possible that it'll have the same loft of your current 5i lol...

Now, the instructor is probably right, that the irons are hurting your game, but not due to age. Most likely due to shaft weight/flex. Typical graphite iron shafts range from maybe 60 grams on the bottom end to 95-100 grams on the top end (steelfiber, which can be heavier, excluded), while typical steel shafts start at around 95 grams for "lightweight" shafts and range up to 130 grams or so for heavy shafts. Based on your distances, you'd probably be fit into a moderate-weight (105-120g) steel shaft, most likely in stiff, although an actual fitting could lead you lighter or heavier, or to different flex based on your physical characteristics and swing. 

You should consider new irons, but not due to distance. Probably because your current set is a poor fit for you.

Great post thank you for the help. I plan on paying $100 for a iron fitting session at Golf Galaxy this spring and actually get clubs that are fit for me and my swing.

I do have a sneaky suspicion that I will magically be a perfect fit for $1,299 set of top tier irons though according to their swing coach lol I dont trust salespeople 

On 1/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, akronswitness said:

IDK Im looking at my Garmin golf watch app and those are the average distances for my irons so whatever I assume thats with roll.

Distance has never really been a big problem with me. Im a bigger guy (6'3 250) so generating distance is not an issue. Its keeping the ball straight and hitting it flush on a consistent basis. I have a tendency to hit my irons high, short and they fade right when I dont hit them flush. 

For instance if I get a hold of one with my 4iron, it will go 210-225 but the odds I swing hard enough, make perfect connection and hit it straight make that a 1 out of 5 shot.

I guess Im more concerned about shafts being graphite with my swing speed. I feel like Im killing myself with my irons and making it harder than it needs to be by not having the appropriate shafts for my swing.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:09 AM, akronswitness said:

Great post thank you for the help. I plan on paying $100 for a iron fitting session at Golf Galaxy this spring and actually get clubs that are fit for me and my swing.

I do have a sneaky suspicion that I will magically be a perfect fit for $1,299 set of top tier irons though according to their swing coach lol I dont trust salespeople 

Yeah, if you're 6'3" and 250#, and hit a 4i 210-225, I highly doubt that stock graphite irons shafts are anywhere NEAR right for you.

As someone who is 6'5" and 270#, I can't even imagine it. In my last fitting I came down to Steelfiber i110 (which is technically graphite but is a severe outlier) and Modus 120S. The only other one that felt good was the KBS Tour 120. I had swung the Modus 105 and the KBS 105, and the feel and everything else was just not right for me because of the [lack of] weight. 

BTW if you get the fitting and you're magically fit into a bespoke shaft and glimmering [high-price] irons, bear in mind that for high handicappers like us, it's MUCH more important to get close to where we need to be fit, rather than that there is only one perfect set of clubs that are for us. I'd wager your current set isn't even close, which is a lot of the problem. 

So if you don't like the price of what they offer you, look at someone like Sub70. Their 699 irons are probably a good category for you. They offer KBS105/120 and DG S300/S400 shafts with no upcharge, so assuming you are either fit into that shaft or one very close to it, you can offer a set with specs equal or close to what you get in the fitting and without spending a fortune. Other DTC companies would be a good thing to look at as well. Lots of great options out there without spending a ton. 

5 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Yeah, if you're 6'3" and 250#, and hit a 4i 210-225, I highly doubt that stock graphite irons shafts are anywhere NEAR right for you.

As someone who is 6'5" and 270#, I can't even imagine it. In my last fitting I came down to Steelfiber i110 (which is technically graphite but is a severe outlier) and Modus 120S. The only other one that felt good was the KBS Tour 120. I had swung the Modus 105 and the KBS 105, and the feel and everything else was just not right for me because of the [lack of] weight. 

BTW if you get the fitting and you're magically fit into a bespoke shaft and glimmering [high-price] irons, bear in mind that for high handicappers like us, it's MUCH more important to get close to where we need to be fit, rather than that there is only one perfect set of clubs that are for us. I'd wager your current set isn't even close, which is a lot of the problem. 

So if you don't like the price of what they offer you, look at someone like Sub70. Their 699 irons are probably a good category for you. They offer KBS105/120 and DG S300/S400 shafts with no upcharge, so assuming you are either fit into that shaft or one very close to it, you can offer a set with specs equal or close to what you get in the fitting and without spending a fortune. Other DTC companies would be a good thing to look at as well. Lots of great options out there without spending a ton. 

That was exactly my thoughts!

I built out the Sub70 699 Pro set using their "club fitter" tool on the website. It gave me the KBS 120 shafts, 1" added length, +1 lie angle and midsize Dri Tac 2.0 grips. Its like $650 but I'm waiting on the satin 4-PW set to come back into stock.

Edited by akronswitness

On 1/13/2022 at 4:56 AM, StrongTR said:

Hi all,

I’ve “golfed” recreationally for years. This mostly includes scrambles for events my company sponsors with a few random rounds each season. I currently play Callaway XR’s I purchased off the CPO site years ago and they are still in good shape. I want to invest more time this year in improving my game and consistency- more rounds, lessons, etc. 

Is it worth investing in a newer set of Game Improvement irons, Super Game Improvement or anything else?  If so, any recommendations on what I should be looking at?  I’m not opposed to purchasing used again, just want good condition if so.  Also I’ll add I’m a lefty so that can make tracking them down a bit more of a challenge. 

I will admit new shiny things do tend to make for a little extra motivation and fun. Who doesn’t like to treat yourself?!

Thanks in advance!

Give the new Titleist T300s a looks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 10:55 AM, JahSteve said:

@StrongTR...

I was in your boat last year... Played recreationally but have looked to give it a real go and take lessons and play more. I am also a Lefty. 

I had an older set  (from the mid 80's). I took some lessons and figured out a start to a swing. Looked around, Did some research on sites such as this and others, went to shops, hit some clubs in my price range and grabbed a set I felt confident with and would enjoy swinging. I did not do a formal fitting although i had lots of input at the end. I ended up with 2018 Ben Hogan edge irons.

(only LH they offer). I love them. A very well priced and quality set of irons. Each week I cannot wait to get to the range ( at this point of winter) and hit them.  

I do feel I could still play the old clubs but getting the new ones has given an increased vigor to get out there. my 2 cents... 

good luck and enjoy the ride. 

Thanks for the input and good luck on your journey as well!