New irons for high handicapper?

StrongTR

Hi all,

I’ve “golfed” recreationally for years. This mostly includes scrambles for events my company sponsors with a few random rounds each season. I currently play Callaway XR’s I purchased off the CPO site years ago and they are still in good shape. I want to invest more time this year in improving my game and consistency- more rounds, lessons, etc. 

Is it worth investing in a newer set of Game Improvement irons, Super Game Improvement or anything else?  If so, any recommendations on what I should be looking at?  I’m not opposed to purchasing used again, just want good condition if so.  Also I’ll add I’m a lefty so that can make tracking them down a bit more of a challenge. 

I will admit new shiny things do tend to make for a little extra motivation and fun. Who doesn’t like to treat yourself?!

Thanks in advance!

This is a huge ask. There are a ton of GI and SGI irons but a lot depends on your miss. If you can't do a fitting, at least demo a few different ones and see what, if anything is better than your current clubs. 

I could give you a list of stuff to try, but without data, it's a crap shoot at best. So get a fitting, or buy a pack of lessons and work with your current set until you feel they are the weak link. 

My clubs are above my current game, but are what I aspire to. But I also know they take effort and right now I'm willing to put the work in. 

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

5 minutes ago, Gsea said:

XRs are as good as anything. Spend money on shiny new lessons.

Yep. Take some lessons first and get your swing in a comfortable more repeatable state. A good instructor will also evaluate your current set up and give their opinions on whether or not you are in the right set or ready to get fit for another. You’ll find more enjoyment IMO with a similar approach rather than trying to buy your game. But also agreed as stated above that a new set may motivate you to get out and practice more.

Edited by HarborMike

Hot take - don't get fitted. Just get a set of clubs that you can practice with.

I know the MO on this forum is to get fitted for everything but if you can't produce consistent swings then a fitting won't do you any good. A fitting is most appropriate when you have a consistent, repeatable swing that the fitter can optimize the clubs for.

I think instead of a fitting, use that money towards some lessons.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, cyoungk said:

Hot take - don't get fitted. Just get a set of clubs that you can practice with.

I know the MO on this forum is to get fitted for everything but if you can't produce consistent swings then a fitting won't do you any good. A fitting is most appropriate when you have a consistent, repeatable swing that the fitter can optimize the clubs for.

I think instead of a fitting, use that money towards some lessons.

I second this. Fitting only makes sense once you have a consistent swing/miss.

• Like 3

It pretty much been covered already but you probably won't see too much difference switching out of those clubs. I help coach HS golf and one of out top players has those irons (been to state championship twice). 

Now, if since you bought the XRs your swing speed has changed it might be worth trying out some different shafts if you can. It may be that new irons entirely to get the right shaft may be more economical than reshafting the XRs. When I started I had Irons with R shafts and even then they were probably too light and soft. Switching to a heavier S flex shaft made a difference in the general consistency of my ball flight. I say general because I still don't hit the ball consistently enough swing to swing.

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

I will go against the trend of this feed. I recently purchased a set of the new Titleist T300's. Traded in a bunch of old clubs and got a big discount. 

While testing out different clubs, the Mizuno JPX 921 Hot metal irons were a close second.

The T300's are long and super forgiving. I also got some lessons with the new clubs and my shot is more consistent now and distances are within normal range instead of short. I don't like to swing hard with my irons so these were perfect. 

They will be in my bag for a very long time, I highly recommend them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

I will go against the trend of this feed. I recently purchased a set of the new Titleist T300's. Traded in a bunch of old clubs and got a big discount. 

While testing out different clubs, the Mizuno JPX 921 Hot metal irons were a close second.

The T300's are long and super forgiving. I also got some lessons with the new clubs and my shot is more consistent now and distances are within normal range instead of short. I don't like to swing hard with my irons so these were perfect. 

They will be in my bag for a very long time, I highly recommend them.

I was looking at getting some new GI irons to replace my 2014 Nike Covert 2 irons.  Looked at Callaway Maverik (simply to match my driver and 3-wood).  Looked at JPX 921, Sirxon, and the Titileist T300.  Really liked the T300's, but had a hard time justify the $1000 for not much improvement over my current Nike Covert 2. 

Out of curiosity, where did you buy your T300's from using trade-ins?

Scott

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sjsdogsrule said:

I was looking at getting some new GI irons to replace my 2014 Nike Covert 2 irons.  Looked at Callaway Maverik (simply to match my driver and 3-wood).  Looked at JPX 921, Sirxon, and the Titileist T300.  Really liked the T300's, but had a hard time justify the $1000 for not much improvement over my current Nike Covert 2. 

Out of curiosity, where did you buy your T300's from using trade-ins?

Scott

It as a local golf shop called Roger Dunn, they are under the Worldwide Golf Shops banner. I had a set of Callaway Rogue irons 3-PW, 2 Vokeys, epic flash hybrid, and a $100 gift card and got the set of T300's 5-58W graphite shafts for just over $500. Saved around $600. Could have made more selling individually online but it was worth it to be able to walk out with the new set right away. 

7 hours ago, StrongTR said:

Hi all,

I’ve “golfed” recreationally for years. This mostly includes scrambles for events my company sponsors with a few random rounds each season. I currently play Callaway XR’s I purchased off the CPO site years ago and they are still in good shape. I want to invest more time this year in improving my game and consistency- more rounds, lessons, etc. 

Is it worth investing in a newer set of Game Improvement irons, Super Game Improvement or anything else?  If so, any recommendations on what I should be looking at?  I’m not opposed to purchasing used again, just want good condition if so.  Also I’ll add I’m a lefty so that can make tracking them down a bit more of a challenge. 

I will admit new shiny things do tend to make for a little extra motivation and fun. Who doesn’t like to treat yourself?!

Thanks in advance!

This is just my experience and yours might be different. For the last three years I have bought different irons without getting fit. LOL I managed to maintain my handicap 9 to 7. I tried irons from bladed CB's to game improvement irons to some SGI. Titlesit AP1 714 were my irons for like 5 years. Then I got Mizuno Jpx 900 Forged, Cobra F9's, Tommy Armour Atomic, Titleist 718 AP1, Taylormade P790, Tour Preferred CB (both versions), Cobra ForgedTec 2020, Srixon 565 and 785, Titleist T300, Titleist 712 Cb MB combo. Wow that's a lot of irons. 

The last set was a set of brand new Mizuno 921 Hot Metals. They were great and I saved like $700 Canadian. But I sent them back. Why? I tried them and compared them with a set of 2015 Ping G30 irons and they were almost the same. Sure the HM went a bit far because of the lofts but it all boiled down to me, the guy swinging the irons. I have a Sky Trak so I was able to really test them out for a week, side by side, everyday. lol My elbow hurt like hell now. I found the Ping's to be more point and shoot and forgiving, though to my eyes, they really looked horrible. I was asking myself, why am I spending this much money if they are almost the same with very small difference? Because it is new and shinny?

With this, I just realized that I either get fit or just play off the rack cheap irons that I like, for now and get fit when I have the extra money in the future and stick with the clubs that I will get fit for a long time. 

Good luck with your search and I hope you find what you are looking for. 🙂

Edited by msg

Most golf shops will take trade-ins.  Additionally, some OEM’s will as well.  TaylorMade has a trade-in program running right now.

I will try hard not to tell you what to do.  But, I will tell you I like getting new clubs too.  They seem to give me a renewed interest.  The problem I have is when after I have a poor round, the mind starts drifting to what the next, greatest clubs that could erase those mistakes in the next round.

It took me a long time and lots of wasted money to quit chasing the latest and greatest.  I’ve tried to stop chasing distance and work on repeatability / consistency.  Until then, a fitting for me held no value.  Most are just there to sell or up-sell you clubs.

If you can find a really good, patient instructor, your money will go much further toward improving your game

What I found that helped my club urges was a kinda new club support group.  I get together with a bunch of buddies and we loan each other clubs until the urge passes and then go back to our standard sets.

The first tee starts, “Hi, my name is Xxxx and I’m a clubaholic”

• Haha 2

Take some lessons, get your XRs adjusted for your new swing.

Then, in 6(?) short months or so @Soccerrick10   will FINALLY get his new P790s and, fit to be tied, he'll break them all over his knee and they'll be available at a huge discount. hide.gif

Of course you'll have to re-shaft them all but hey, ya can't have everything. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

You don’t have to choose one or the other. Get shiny (or satin) new clubs AND take lessons! 

If you have a good teaching pro, might be worth a lesson first simply to get some advice on what type of clubs might be best for you. Then hold tryouts. I’ve hit the XRs. Just due to the improvements in feel in cast clubs the past 5 years, I doubt the XRs will win. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Yes, it's always fun to buy something new.  If I've gone a few weeks without getting some sort of package, I feel like my life has no meaning.  The set of clubs I use now, Taylormade rocketbladez, was one I bought on a whim a few years ago when I was looking to replace the Wilson set I'd had for 30+ years.  I've purchased other irons since then, but found that none improved my game, so now each of my sons has a set that I'd purchased, a couple sets were returned, and I have a spare set in case the Taylormade's mysteriously disappear.  Looking at the XRs online, it's still a reasonably new set and sells for around $500 or more from the used dealers, so must be in some demand.  So, looks to be a decent set of clubs to me.  I'm also a lefty, so understand the limited inventory we have to select from, but if you do want to get something newer just for the adrenaline rush, I'll put in a plug for purchasing from globalgolf, as they have a very good return policy (which I've used) if you find you don't like them.

As for lessons, while I've never had any (and it's obvious), I play with some people who took one or two, and it looks to have done nothing to improve their games, so you really have to commit to something more than that, I would think.  Perhaps you can feed your buying itch with some accessory you don't need.  A new bag or cart perhaps?  Or maybe a hat... 

I wouldn't waste money on new irons at this point and put those funds towards lessons, more range time and more playing.  You can revisit this idea in a years time after you've put in more work and see if you are truly going to stick around longer. 

If needing to purchase something, maybe some new wedges or a putter putting and putter would do more for your journey than irons.

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

On 1/13/2022 at 7:16 AM, lefthack said:

...demo a few different ones and see what, if anything is better than your current clubs. 

Callaway XRs are a solid GI iron model, do good job of distance and forgiveness like a GI club should. You could try some other models, see if newer stuff is actually an improvement.

On 1/13/2022 at 6:56 AM, StrongTR said:

I want to invest more time this year in improving my game and consistency- more rounds, lessons, etc. 

Lead off with lessons, and testing out interesting looking GI irons. Then, note places where the XRs may be disrupting your game. If the XRs are solid, keep playing them.

Side Note: Not sure how old you are. Often my changes in clubs have been related to age, and how much brute strength I could transfer into the golf swing. Age 21 shifted to stiff shafts to stop spraying irons shots, age 58 went back to regular to prevent distance loss and yardstick inconsistency, age 70 (this summer) shifted to graphite shafts to cut down on strain and fatigue.

That said, if you're a 30-something, the XRs could serve you until the grooves wear out.😉

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I have a set of Steelhead XRs I've used for four years and didn't think any club could be more forgiving. However, during a lockdown moment of weakness, I bid on a set (4-PW) of Wilson Launch Pads on EBay and lo and behold, I was high bidder. I played with them three times before winter set in, and other than a slight loss of distance (3-5 yards per club, more or less), which can be fixed, I'm amazed at the increased consistency. They feel good and you don't even think "hybrid iron" until you get to the 7i; 8i through PW look and feel like regular irons. I'm a 64-YO who usually shoots in the high 80s-low 90s and play 1-2 times per week weather permitting. Practice is sporadic so these are the quickest way to lower my scores. No regrets.

I would suggest getting a hollow head, players design (P790, Cobra Forged Tec, T200, Apex Pro, etc.) They are forgiving enough that I don't think they will hurt a high handicaper's game, and they are playable enough that you can probably have them in the bag until becoming a low single digit player.

I used to be a club junkie, often playing only a single round with a club (sometimes not even...) before being on the lookout for my next, looking for that magic club. Let me tell you, aside from maybe blades, the difference between one set of irons from the next is pretty small. So find a set that you seriously like the look of, and play them until they are basically broken.

I now subscribe to the mantra "This is my *club*. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

Thank you all!  I really appreciate all the feedback and insight.  Trust me when I say the lessons and extra rounds will be coming regardless.  My question is more to stay with the equipment I've been playing for a few seasons (which are appx 6 years old) or switch up to a newer model.  It sounds like there's enough positive feedback on the XR's to warrant hanging on to them a bit longer and only change it up if I feel like it.

• Like 1

@StrongTR...

I was in your boat last year... Played recreationally but have looked to give it a real go and take lessons and play more. I am also a Lefty. 

I had an older set  (from the mid 80's). I took some lessons and figured out a start to a swing. Looked around, Did some research on sites such as this and others, went to shops, hit some clubs in my price range and grabbed a set I felt confident with and would enjoy swinging. I did not do a formal fitting although i had lots of input at the end. I ended up with 2018 Ben Hogan edge irons.

(only LH they offer). I love them. A very well priced and quality set of irons. Each week I cannot wait to get to the range ( at this point of winter) and hit them.  

I do feel I could still play the old clubs but getting the new ones has given an increased vigor to get out there. my 2 cents... 

good luck and enjoy the ride. 

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper  

On 1/13/2022 at 9:00 PM, PEI_Golfer said:

I wouldn't waste money on new irons at this point and put those funds towards lessons, more range time and more playing.  You can revisit this idea in a years time after you've put in more work and see if you are truly going to stick around longer. 

If needing to purchase something, maybe some new wedges or a putter putting and putter would do more for your journey than irons.

This is also great advice considering your irons aren't that old by any means... 

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper