2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mizuno wait time?

Hardline

On 4/13/2024 at 8:06 AM, JermWRX said:

It's the quotes that irritate me the most. It's always "2-3 weeks", and that's almost never the case. Just be straight in the beginning and don't over sell your lead times. Tell customers 4-6 weeks. Then if they show up in 3, it's a pleasant bonus. 

Exactly.  This is an old restaurant trick that I’m astounded Mizuno hasn’t caught on to yet.  Tell the customer it’ll be a 30 minute wait and then they’re pleasantly surprised when their table is ready in 20.  

21 minutes ago, 'Noles2013 said:

Exactly.  This is an old restaurant trick that I’m astounded Mizuno hasn’t caught on to yet.  Tell the customer it’ll be a 30 minute wait and then they’re pleasantly surprised when their table is ready in 20.  

I'd imagine in the current business world, they probably have very little idea how long your order will actually take. It's no surprise they fall back on a generic time estimate because anything that tries to be a better estimate would end up wrong anyway.

It sure seems like most businesses right now have no clue who will or won't show up to work tomorrow or next week. 

• Like 1

Several people have mentioned specifying their desired swingweights when ordering Mizuno custom clubs. How do they go about doing that, do they put lead or tungsten down the shaft or something? 

If you do specify custom specs (such as different shafts, longer or short lengths) but don't specify a desired swingweight do they just let it fall where it may? 

16 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Several people have mentioned specifying their desired swingweights when ordering Mizuno custom clubs. How do they go about doing that, do they put lead or tungsten down the shaft or something? 

If you do specify custom specs (such as different shafts, longer or short lengths) but don't specify a desired swingweight do they just let it fall where it may? 

I had ordered 923 HM irons last year with MMT 105 S, requested D2-D3 SW, and they showed up generally within that range. I ordered 923 HM Pro irons recently with MMT 105 S, requested D2 SW, and they showed up D4-D5 SW. I suspect they just slap them together, and get what they get. The HM Pro heads are probably just heavier than the HM heads, and that was that. Pretty unhittable for me at D4 and up.

MMT 105 seems to swing weight well, as my P790 iron set with those are spot-on at D2 as I had requested, and I don’t think TM does much to customize. I doubt Mizuno puts too much effort into customizing or accommodating SW, but I can’t say that for sure.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

12 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

I had ordered 923 HM irons last year with MMT 105 S, requested D2-D3 SW, and they showed up generally within that range. I ordered 923 HM Pro irons recently with MMT 105 S, requested D2 SW, and they showed up D4-D5 SW. I suspect they just slap them together, and get what they get. The HM Pro heads are probably just heavier than the HM heads, and that was that. Pretty unhittable for me at D4 and up.

MMT 105 seems to swing weight well, as my P790 iron set with those are spot-on at D2 as I had requested, and I don’t think TM does much to customize. I doubt Mizuno puts too much effort into customizing or accommodating SW, but I can’t say that for sure.

Maybe they let people specify so that, if someone asks for D1-D2 with 2" overlength DGS300 they can contact them and say, "Just wanted to let you know, sir, but that ain't gonna happen no way no how". 😉

4 weeks for three wedges ordered through Golfonline in the UK. Mizuno screwed up the head color (ordered satin, received copper). Golfonline noticed it and offered a discount, which I took. They actually look great in copper. 
IMG_1570.jpeg.f6813bb7be2e45c58f6f2e25fd964685.jpegIMG_1569.jpeg.b70d25445289011b0e7ccc3f4d8d78d2.jpegIMG_1568.jpeg.5cbe9f5418d20c0b8d85613cac13a169.jpegIMG_1567.jpeg.e5ab9bbc4e9f950e04787e63b53d2efc.jpegIMG_1566.jpeg.ad466868850497400f587e5f10e0c900.jpeg

• Like 2

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

4 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

4 weeks for three wedges ordered through Golfonline in the UK. Mizuno screwed up the head color (ordered satin, received copper). Golfonline noticed it and offered a discount, which I took. They actually look great in copper. 
IMG_1570.jpeg.f6813bb7be2e45c58f6f2e25fd964685.jpegIMG_1569.jpeg.b70d25445289011b0e7ccc3f4d8d78d2.jpegIMG_1568.jpeg.5cbe9f5418d20c0b8d85613cac13a169.jpegIMG_1567.jpeg.e5ab9bbc4e9f950e04787e63b53d2efc.jpegIMG_1566.jpeg.ad466868850497400f587e5f10e0c900.jpeg

Very nice! 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 2023 Versatile 58 bent to 59 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Ordered a new set of T24 wedges, was told 3 weeks to ship out, took 2 weeks to actually ship out.

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max 10.5* w/ Blue Velocore+ 5R

AI Smoke Max 16.5* w/ Red TR Velore 6S

AI Smoke Max 21* w/ Velocore+ 7S | Apex UW 19* w/ Velore+ 7S when too windy

Ping G430 22 & 26 deg, Venus Blue HB 7S
MP 245 6-GW, Recoil 95S
Mizuno T24 54.10S 58.10V, DG S400

SC Phantom T-12 Tour Prototype

Pro V1

5 hours ago, North Butte said:

I'd imagine in the current business world, they probably have very little idea how long your order will actually take. It's no surprise they fall back on a generic time estimate because anything that tries to be a better estimate would end up wrong anyway.

It sure seems like most businesses right now have no clue who will or won't show up to work tomorrow or next week. 

They should probably use a longer generic timeline of 4-6 weeks then if judging by this thread virtually no orders are arriving in 2-3 weeks.  

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 5:18 PM, Cactus Jack said:

I ordered a set of 923F and S23 wedges with custom specs, including the Icon ferrules. I was quoted 3 weeks and they shipped in 3.5. Not bad.  

I just ordered a set this week. Had I known about the Icon ferrules, I would have requested that. Oh well... 

-Erik

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver
Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Taylormade Dual Rescue TP 4H
Mizuno JPX923 HMP 5i - GW
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*
Cleveland H.B. Soft Premier 11S 

On 4/11/2024 at 7:52 PM, L Big said:

My set of JPX923-HM and #4 Fli-Hi hybrid were ordered March 22nd. Was informed today to expect Mizuno to ship them out on April 22nd. Nippon shafts, Winn grips, nothing exotic. I was hoping for 3 weeks. Will not get my wish, and that's a bummer.

Still waiting on my #4 Fli-Hi Hybrid. Ridiculous.

Edited by L Big

On 4/15/2024 at 12:51 AM, Louis_Posture said:

Regarding the posts about "wrong lie angles" do the authors have loft and lie machines at their residence?

*I guarantee you that just about any club repair shop owner or employee will tell a customer that the lofts and lies of the iron set he brought in to be checked are "way off".

Some folks like to exaggerate for whatever reason, lol, and some have real issues I'm sure, but hardly epidemic.  Mine were checked by 2nd Swing, who I ordered through, and everything was spot on according to them. Same for someone else I know who ordered through a fitter elsewhere and had them checked on arrival last year.  So I can't pile on, haha.  

Several rounds in this year and these are the best irons I remember having in hand and on the course since the feeling I had many, many, many years ago when I got my Ping Eye2+.  Meaning they just "fit" and work.  From a soft "feel" point of view the 923 Forged are awesome, wish I'd ventured into Mizuno a long time ago.  

When I'd been playing golf a few months I got my first set of "really good" clubs to replace the beginner set I'd initially cobbled together on the cheap. A friend convinced me to take my brand new Titleist irons, after I'd played 3-4 rounds, to the best known clubmaker in town (we didn't talk much are "fitters" back then). He told me Titleist were always all over the place on their specs and offered to measure them and make them right.

Now in fairness, he charged me something like 10 or 15 bucks for this so I don't want to sound like he ripped me off. But I watched him measuring and occasionally nudging one with a bending bar. It didn't look like he changed much so I asked him what they had needed. He said the only one that was "way off" was the PW that was something like a degree and a half too strong but the lie angles had been off by anywhere from half a degree to one degree on several others.

I wasn't experienced enough to sweat it but it occurred to me later that as a brand new golfer taking about 130-140 strokes per round it was highly unlikely his half a degree lie tweaks were going to save me many strokes. 

A couple years later I ordered a custom set of Titleist irons (the story of why the originals had to be replace is TLDR) after a fitting. They were one degree flat and I think something like 1/4" shorter or longer than standard (can't remember which). I figured what the heck, took them to the same crusty old gaffer who tweaked the first set. To his credit, he measured them and declared everything dead on my ordered specs except for one club (maybe 8-iron?) needed a small loft tweak. No charge for checking them.

My point being, over the years I've met a few other "crusty old gaffers" out there in the clubfitting, clubmaking, club repair biz whose first thing out of their mouth is always how awful the Q/C on basic specs are from the big OEM's. I'm not sure it's as dire as they are claiming, at least not in every case. But then again, even three decades later I doubt my game will suffer from a club that's a degree strong or a half a degree flat from its intended specs. 

On 4/28/2024 at 11:28 AM, Georgie Z said:

That’s not too bad. Hope you get your iron soon.

Now being told June 1st. Ordered March 22nd. Not happy. I don't know why it has taken 5+ weeks to give me this information. This is my first experience with Mizuno clubs, for what it's worth.

Edited by L Big

22 hours ago, L Big said:

Now being told June 1st. Ordered March 22nd. Not happy. I don't know why it has taken 5+ weeks to give me this information. This is my first experience with Mizuno clubs, for what it's worth.

What did you order?

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

I ordered a custom set of JPX-923 HM irons, adjusted for lie angle, Winn Grips, Nippon shafts... received this in just under 4 weeks.

At the same time I ordered a Fli-Hi Hybrid #4, UST Recoil shaft, standard loft, lie, length. I'm being told, after waiting five and a half weeks, that Mizuno is out of stock on the UST Recoil shafts. They would receive in late May and they expect my club to be assembled by beginning of June.

14 minutes ago, L Big said:

I ordered a custom set of JPX-923 HM irons, adjusted for lie angle, Winn Grips, Nippon shafts... received this in just under 4 weeks.

At the same time I ordered a Fli-Hi Hybrid #4, UST Recoil shaft, standard loft, lie, length. I'm being told, after waiting five and a half weeks, that Mizuno is out of stock on the UST Recoil shafts. They would receive in late May and they expect my club to be assembled by beginning of June.

Do you recall which Recoil?