Wilson Staff CB Irons - Anyone????

Jjones519a

12 hours ago, C_rad said:

Where can you get them with other shaft than the stock dg. Would like a dg 120 or with amt would be even better. Can you recommend a place? 

Fairway jockey is one place does them in custom shafts.

Driver... Cobra Aerojet LS, Lin-Q M40X R
Fairway... 4 & 7 TEE E722 Ventus Red R
Irons... 4-P Wilson Staff CB, UST Recoil 95 R
Wedges... 50/54/58 Cleveland RTX-6 Recoil 95 R
Putter... Odyssey White Hot Pro Super Stroke 2.0 XL Legacy

7 hours ago, morgan1819 said:

Wilson's player irons tend to rate very low on the Maltby MPF rankings, but very high with everyone that tests them.

Obviously, blade length is what ranks them with such a low MPF.

With most reviewers loving them, it makes me wonder if Maltby is leaving something important out if the playability equation.  I mean, a hockey stick length iron head would be the ultimate "playable" iron according to Maltby, but would be a disaster on the course due turf interaction, and a few other factors I'm sure.

It's the combination of lower C Dimension and high CG; the formula is little more than CDim - AVCOG, with a couple small adjustments added.  One of those adjustments is a penalty for having a CG above the center of the golfball (.840").

Most Wilson Staff irons fall into that category.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

18 hours ago, morgan1819 said:

Wilson's player irons tend to rate very low on the Maltby MPF rankings, but very high with everyone that tests them.

Obviously, blade length is what ranks them with such a low MPF.

With most reviewers loving them, it makes me wonder if Maltby is leaving something important out if the playability equation.  I mean, a hockey stick length iron head would be the ultimate "playable" iron according to Maltby, but would be a disaster on the course due turf interaction, and a few other factors I'm sure.

I wouldn't put much weight on that rating scale. I've used the Wilson F5 irons for 4 years and they perform great, yet they rate low on that scale. I've got 5 sets of irons for comparison, and my Nike VRS rate much better on that scale. I play better with the F5's.

Driver... Cobra Aerojet LS, Lin-Q M40X R
Fairway... 4 & 7 TEE E722 Ventus Red R
Irons... 4-P Wilson Staff CB, UST Recoil 95 R
Wedges... 50/54/58 Cleveland RTX-6 Recoil 95 R
Putter... Odyssey White Hot Pro Super Stroke 2.0 XL Legacy

7 minutes ago, Even Further said:

I wouldn't put much weight on that rating scale. I've used the Wilson F5 irons for 4 years and they perform great, yet they rate low on that scale. I've got 5 sets of irons for comparison, and my Nike VRS rate much better on that scale. I play better with the F5's.

Agree.  I've hit the F5's, and thought they were much easier (or more 'playable') than almost every one of the Maltby high MPF irons I've hit.

So the Maltby published avcog info is good to know for comparison purposes, but not much other than that.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

On 3/2/2022 at 11:26 AM, Jvoom30 said:

debating buying a set off my success with the wilson driving iron 

As long as the shaft is to your spec, you won't be disappointed with the feel/performance of the heads.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

On 2/27/2022 at 11:17 AM, Jjones519a said:

Hello

Ive been looking for a somewhat more forgiving set for this year.

Ive tried all the new Hollow Irons (225 pro, 790, PXG, Cobra, ... ) And I hate them.  I hate the feel.

The GOAT of irons for me were the MP53 and Original Ap2.  Both Slightly larger Players irons.

Also S300 is my shaft of choice for now and forever.

So I was looking around and saw the Wilson Cbs... Slightly bigger than most players irons, Stock S300, Beautiful Chrome Finish and Reviews are amazing.

But i dont know anyone who plays them.   Any reviews? Any Pics compared to other Player irons??

Thanks!!

I purchase a custom set of Wilson Staff Model CBs from Wilson website. I’m 63, and I wanted to return to golf after a 30-year pause. I played high school golf so I’m one of the lucky ones to have a decent ball strike. So, I wanted to try forged irons for the first time in my life. It was somewhat scary, yet I didn’t hesitate after viewing Andy’s video 

These irons are beautiful and solid strikes are my main reason I play—the feeling is soft and powerful at the same time. I chose KBS $-Taper Lite (95g) shafts, Lamkin Crossline standard grip, and standard length and loft. I’m not sure there’s a better player’s CB for the money. Go for it!

Steve —Kamuela, Hawaii Island

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking to the cg location on the cb’s, I did find better contact with making sure to get a good amount of shaft lean at impact.  Also, the soles felt very forgiving.  They just glide through the turf.

Damn, this thread is making me want another set… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 7:23 PM, jsmcdon said:

I was at the pga superstore in Greenwood Village Colorado a week ago and hit them, I went in to hit a few irons and a tour pro of 10 years handed me the Wilson cb to hit, said it’s what he plays. I hit them and was shocked, they felt super good, I would have never ever thought it or even given them a chance… If I could afford another set I’d get them.

I bet I was talking to the same guy last week.  He said he has Recoil's in them and loves them, but they seem to be a slightly heavier head, so he advised me to try a little bit lighter shaft than I normally play.  Sure enough, I didn't like any of the 110 gram shafts and kept working my way down.  Eventually I found a DG 95 shaft and threw that in... and that's when the magic happened.  I could really see playing these with Recoil 95's.

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

On 3/1/2022 at 12:35 AM, cadman88 said:

Over the last two seasons I have owned a full set of Wilson Staff Model Blades and a full set of CB's.. both are all stock specs with DG S300's both sets are the same lofts, lengths, lies. I did try to combo 4-6 CB and 7-PW blades.. that worked well for me, but I tend to use the Wilson Staff Model Utility 18° and 21° instead of the long irons as they flat out work for me. I also have Mizuno MP-20 MMC/MB's and while the WS Blades are no where near as "Mizuno soft" as the MP-20's, they feel more solid to me. Like others have said, the WS CB's are a touch smaller heal to toe, they are minimally longer hitting and higher launch, but it's really not that much.. maybe 2°more on launch, and 4 yards on carry. I just traded off my WS CB's to a buddy, he's only hit them on a sim but he likes them better than the ZX7's he had before.

And I will agree, Wilson irons are going to be pretty hard to find to demo in most cases, my first set of WS blades I owned was a used set, purchased blind without hitting any first.. was glad I took the chance to try them.. they are my preferred irons to play. Nothing wrong with the WS CB's, had I never hit the blades I'd be fine with playing the CB's.

I usually find a big advantage to going into blades on shorter irons is the compact size of the scoring irons vs some player CB models that seem to get bigger. For example the ZX7. 

Is there a big advantage to using the blades on the shorter irons in this set, or do the CBs get the job done all the way through? 

I have a set of MP221 I can flow as well given the matching specs….. just don’t know how many sets of blades I need to be sporting when the player CBs seem to be my sweet spot. I just can’t handle the blades on the long irons. 

4 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

I usually find a big advantage to going into blades on shorter irons is the compact size of the scoring irons vs some player CB models that seem to get bigger. For example the ZX7. 

Is there a big advantage to using the blades on the shorter irons in this set, or do the CBs get the job done all the way through? 

I have a set of MP221 I can flow as well given the matching specs….. just don’t know how many sets of blades I need to be sporting when the player CBs seem to be my sweet spot. I just can’t handle the blades on the long irons. 

The staff cb’s are fantastic in all aspects.   No concern over the shorter irons.  I found them to be very accurate.  The cb’s are not a large iron whatsoever.  One of my favorite sets I ever played.

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

5 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

The short length on the CBs is exactly why I went to them from my Z785s. IIRC the blade length of the CBs is actually shorter than the Staff blades.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Got to really work the CBs today. These are awesome irons. Have the C-taper lite 110g shafts, which I love. 

they look and feel like blades in every way. You get all the blade feel, but just that little extra touch of forgiveness. 

really a near perfect CB iron. 

this can quickly become one of my favorite sets. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 8:26 PM, titleist26 said:

the blade length of the CB's is one of the shortest of any brand. The soles are on the wider side with a lot of camber which slightly gives the illusion of the heads being bigger then they are but they are very compact at address. I actually preferred the MB as the blade length is slightly longer and with a thinner sole they setup better for me, both of them are some of the nicest irons around and well worth a try. 

The CB scoring irons are so solid. Is there really any reason to blend this set with the blades. 

the scoring irons have delivered on everything I asked them to do.

Am I missing something? 

11 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

The CB scoring irons are so solid. Is there really any reason to blend this set with the blades. 

Am I missing something? 

IMO, no. It probably just comes down to preference for the looks of the MB vs the CB if you want to go that route.

Wishon is presenting a new forged combo set this year, the 585:

6 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

For short irons, there's no real advantage to a CB iron over a blade.  It's something Tom Wishon has posted about many times over the years.

Then, there's the robot testing that Terry Koehler has posted about, from his Hogan days.  On good hits, a blade has a much tighter dispersion than a CB.

The hard part of the equation:  Each of us has to determine if it works for us.  There's no across the board answer.  If the CBs are working for you as you like, that suggests no need to explore other options.

One could put Wishons new combo set in the bag by sometime this summer and validate this blade to CB comment.

a4abf632-81ed-c798-fce9-f594801c680b.jpg

Edited by TKS
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

On 4/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, T_Golf_23 said:

Am I missing something? 

I wouldnt combo if you already have the CB's. I liked the blade slightly better but you cant go wrong with either

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 5:29 AM, titleist26 said:

I wouldnt combo if you already have the CB's. I liked the blade slightly better but you cant go wrong with either

I was surprised at how forgiving the Staff Blades are. It is hard the flow the set b/c the blades are actually longer than the CB. 

thinking about flowing a set with my MP221…. The head shape is crazy similar. 

• 1 month later...

@jrsgar anybody can play these, with a caveat.

Compared to the latest trend of hot faced/hollow body irons these are going to have less ballspeed so if that's an area you struggle with they might not be a good fit.

They are also less forgiving on really terrible strikes compared to the hot faced clubs, I mean really terrible, so there's that too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

@jrsgar anybody can play these, with a caveat.

Compared to the latest trend of hot faced/hollow body irons these are going to have less ballspeed so if that's an area you struggle with they might not be a good fit.

They are also less forgiving on really terrible strikes compared to the hot faced clubs, I mean really terrible, so there's that too.

Thanks for the response, that is kinda what I have been telling myself. I have learned that distance is what it is at my age. So I play from the proper tees, and try to enjoy as much as possible.  Once again Thank you for your thoughts.

I’m back in my second set of the staff cb’s and I could not be happier.  First set was a bad shaft fit and not in my specs so I moved them along.  Over the past 2 years the cycle of irons I’ve been through is pretty crazy.  Partly because I love trying new stuff, but partly because I always find something that throws me off.  

These might be one of my favorites I’ve played.  The shape and look of the mid irons is prefect to my eye.  Minimal offset and a nice straight leading edge.  For being traditional lofts on a player’s cb, no issue with ball speed and forgiveness.  Turf interaction is outstanding.  So smooth through the ground.

An outstanding iron that will continue to get overlooked by many.

• Like 3

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 6:32 AM, jrsgar said:

I know this can be a tough question, given that you have the proper shaft, Would a mid-capper have any real issues playing these irons.  I have no misconceptions about my game just looking for opinions. Have a set of D7 forged heads which I'm sure would be better way to go.

I was a 22hdcp trending down when I bought them (coming from the V6 irons) and I'm not even a weekend warrior golfer anymore due to having a kid last year, I still find the CBs forgiving enough when I do get out, but you do lose distance on toe strikes. As long as your miss isn't a chunk, you're going to be fine with them.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom