Wilson Staff CB Irons - Anyone????

Jjones519a

On 8/20/2022 at 3:05 PM, Zena said:

Looking at the Wilson CBs and the Titleist 716/620 CBs. Could someone provide input to compare?

I have owned the Staff CB and Titleist 716 CB irons. Sold the Titleist and kept the Wilsons. Wilson’s are smaller heel to toe but have a thicker more cambered sole. Both performed great but the Wilson irons feel so much better to me. They are some of the softest irons I have ever hit. The Titleist irons are very crisp almost hard. I have not tried the 620 CB irons. 

• Like 3

On 8/20/2022 at 12:05 PM, Zena said:

Looking at the Wilson CBs and the Titleist 716/620 CBs. Could someone provide input to compare?

I played 718 CBs for about a season, they’re awesome…I’ve only hit the Wilson CB and 620 CB as demo irons, but the Wilson feels about as good as anything.

620 CB crushes them on looks though, best looking CB on the market in my opinion, which may not mean anything to you, but I had to mention it. 

• Like 1

D - Mizuno ST200G, Tour AD-XC

3W - TSi2, Tour AD-HD

2i - Mizuno MP-H5

4-P - Cleveland 588 MB - KBS Tour

50,54,60 - Vokey SM9 - KBS 610

P - TP Mills Custom Ming

11 hours ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

I have owned the Staff CB and Titleist 716 CB irons. Sold the Titleist and kept the Wilsons. Wilson’s are smaller heel to toe but have a thicker more cambered sole. Both performed great but the Wilson irons feel so much better to me. They are some of the softest irons I have ever hit. The Titleist irons are very crisp almost hard. I have not tried the 620 CB irons. 

I'll second this.  I went from Cleveland 588cb to 716cb and the Clevelands were considerably softer in comparison.  The 716cb feels great on the sweet spot but you know exactly where you hit it when you're off.  Performance-wise the 716cb are phenomenal.  

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 8:37 AM, soberD said:

I'll second this.  I went from Cleveland 588cb to 716cb and the Clevelands were considerably softer in comparison.  The 716cb feels great on the sweet spot but you know exactly where you hit it when you're off.  Performance-wise the 716cb are phenomenal.  

Just to build on the discussion, Titleist irons do feel good out of the middle but not as good as the Wilson, Apex MB or Bridgestone J33 CB irons they were competing against. Even flushed they never gave me that special feeling. It is splitting hairs as they performed great but there is a noticeable difference in feel even out of the middle. 

• Like 4

I have played the Wilson Staff V-6 irons and I have a set of the Wilson Staff Blades.  Those 2 irons are some of the best irons I have ever played.  The V-6 were the first big money irons I ever bought myself.  I have hit Taylormade, Titleist, Srixon, and other sets over the last few years.  When I say the Wilson CB’s are the best I have played, I mean that sincerely.  These irons are flat out winners.  Feel is absolutely incredible.  Easy to hit for mid-handicappers, I agree the long irons are even a joy to hit.  I too may grab another set to have in the Arsenal. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, kylesilk said:

Wonder how these clubs would handle  being bent 1 degree strong?  Idk....may be perfect as is. 

They are super easy to bend.

I've adjusted mine to give me the gaps I wanted. It was a mix of some weaker, some stronger.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• 5 months later...
On 8/1/2022 at 1:13 PM, BraxtonFullerton said:

I was a 22hdcp trending down when I bought them (coming from the V6 irons) and I'm not even a weekend warrior golfer anymore due to having a kid last year, I still find the CBs forgiving enough when I do get out, but you do lose distance on toe strikes. As long as your miss isn't a chunk, you're going to be fine with them.

How did the V6s compare to the CBs?  I’m in the same spot as you are.  Also looking at the D9 forged.

4 minutes ago, bluehose said:

How did the V6s compare to the CBs?  I’m in the same spot as you are.  Also looking at the D9 forged.

CBs have a slightly thicker top-line, which is very welcome on the long irons, the V6 4i is a butter knife in comparison.

D9 forged are going to have stronger lofts: CB PW: 46 D9F PW: 44 but they are way more forgiving than the CBs as they're designed to be a game improvement iron.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

• 1 month later...

I haven't had a new set of irons (just irons) in 20 years. I'm looking into the CBs. Going from Snake Eyes TC-01s, which are nearly a blade, to the CBs will I see huge gains in distance? All I really want is a modern player's iron with more forgiveness. I was looking into the Ben Hogan PTx Pros as well. Too bad Ben Hogan stopped making clubs recently.

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

The Staff CBs are what I would call modern-traditional lofted so I'm not sure how those compare to the Snake Eyes distance wise.

That said, they are easily bendable so you can dial in your carry distances once you get them. I ended up adjusting the 6-7-8 to fit my gapping better.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I never actually hit them but everyone I’ve spoke to has said great things. Only sets I’ve come across have DG S300 which I spin way too much. 

To me, they remind me of the Apex Pro ‘19 just based on aesthetics at address. I loved the AP 19s and would love to try the Wilson’s one day. 

I've been playing the Wilson Staff CBs for the past 2 years, and they're the best irons I've ever had. I loved the fact that they don't look too intimidating to hit and have great feel and forgiveness. They were also the cheapest of the irons I tested on the day as well (AU$1200 versus AU$1400 for Srixon ZX7s). In terms of reviews, I've heard only good things from Rick Shiels, Michael Newton and Dan Hendrickson.

Pretty sure Padraig Harrington has them in the bag at the moment, and he won the Senior US Open last year (and they've got a raw finish as well!).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jvincent said:

The Staff CBs are what I would call modern-traditional lofted so I'm not sure how those compare to the Snake Eyes distance wise.

That said, they are easily bendable so you can dial in your carry distances once you get them. I ended up adjusting the 6-7-8 to fit my gapping better.

The snake eyes are 35 loft on the 7 iron. Its basically the same loft wise, but there is not a lot of lower CG. It looks more like a tour blade than a modern CB. I wondering if going to a blade in the 8-pw make much difference. If they are closer to my current distances in the MB, then I would prefer that, but I do want some more distance in the longer irons.

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, teedub21 said:

Just bought a second set of these.  Traded my last set into GG and immediately regretted it.  Maple Hill Golf had a mint demo set 4-GW for $549 so I snatched them up.  Should have them by tuesday!

Good for you. They are superb. You’ll be glad you grabbed the gap wedge. It’s versatile for shots around the greens with the great soles these have. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Good for you. They are superb. You’ll be glad you grabbed the gap wedge. It’s versatile for shots around the greens with the great soles these have. 

Yeah, I had the gap wedge with my other set and also have a set of V6 irons 4-GW.  Probably my favorite set gap wedge I’ve owned. 

18 hours ago, teedub21 said:

Just bought a second set of these.  Traded my last set into GG and immediately regretted it.  Maple Hill Golf had a mint demo set 4-GW for $549 so I snatched them up.  Should have them by tuesday!

You must’ve gotten the last right handed set.  They only have 4-PW for right handed now.  The 4-GW for lefties is the same price.  

Got home from out of town and my set was waiting for me.  Advertised on Ebay as mint condition demos.  They were literally brand new never hit still had heads in plastic shrink wrap!  Glad to have another set back in the bag.  Traded my old ones into GG at the beginning of the season for $450 and paid $550 for this "mint" set.  Now the question is do I sell my WIlson Staff blades that I have no business trying to play.  Probably just keep them, they're so pretty, like jewelry.  

• Like 2

These irons are just so dang good.  So happy to have them back in the bag.  They feel amazing, are pretty darn forgiving considering their size and it’s so nice to have irons that check up and stop.  Been playing Srixon ZX5/7 combo set.  Those shorter irons check decently but the WIlsons check up even on long irons into the greens.  Anyone that can grab a set of these leftovers I highly recommend them.  My second set and I will not let these go.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 3:36 PM, teedub21 said:

Got home from out of town and my set was waiting for me.  Advertised on Ebay as mint condition demos.  They were literally brand new never hit still had heads in plastic shrink wrap!  Glad to have another set back in the bag.  Traded my old ones into GG at the beginning of the season for $450 and paid $550 for this "mint" set.  Now the question is do I sell my WIlson Staff blades that I have no business trying to play.  Probably just keep them, they're so pretty, like jewelry.  

All I can tell you is I sure regret selling my staff blades.  I should have just put different shafts in them and kept them. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

On 9/23/2023 at 4:34 PM, teedub21 said:

These irons are just so dang good.  So happy to have them back in the bag.  They feel amazing, are pretty darn forgiving considering their size and it’s so nice to have irons that check up and stop.  Been playing Srixon ZX5/7 combo set.  Those shorter irons check decently but the WIlsons check up even on long irons into the greens.  Anyone that can grab a set of these leftovers I highly recommend them.  My second set and I will not let these go.

I have not hit a cavity back I liked any more than the Staff Model CBs. Very precise irons that feel great and are just the right head size. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 9/21/2023 at 1:36 PM, teedub21 said:

Definitely keep them.

On 9/21/2023 at 4:36 PM, teedub21 said:

Would you PM me the seller you bought from?  I'm going to pick up a set.

They arrived.  And like above, they are new in the wrappers.  I assume this retailer is selling them as "mint, used" to get around the minimum pricing Wilson has established for their retailers and he's just trying to get rid of them. 

Anyhow, took them to the range yesterday but it was REALLY windy so I couldn't get a good feel for the distance/accuracy.  They did seem to launch pretty high (which I like) but with a 20-25 knot swirling wind they were all over the place.  Turf interaction was really good.  The soles are quite round and the times I hit a little fat I wasn't punished really at all.  I think because of the rounded sole I have to hit a little lower on the face than I'm used to, which I don't really care for.  (I'm a bit of a sweeper sometimes).  The super-soft feel that's been mentioned above... it's good but it's not as good as a quality muscle back, and that's okay too.

I'll chime back in after a range session without all the wind.

-Mag